Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamala Harris: “We Should Have That Conversation”

Kamala Harris: “We Should Have That Conversation”

Sen. Kamala Harris, California Democrat, said Monday that she was open to the possibility of allowing the Boston Marathon bomber and other convicted criminals and terrorists to vote while imprisoned.
    Ms. Harris made the comments in the fourth of five back-to-back town-hall meetings CNN gave several of the leading 2020 Democratic presidential-primary contenders.
    Before her, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont offered a full-throated defense of letting criminals vote while imprisoned, not ducking from including convicted Islamist terror-bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ton-marathon-/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is debatable whether they should be allowed to vote when their time is up (I'm against it), allowing them to vote during their incarceration is insane.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Since all the guilty that haven't been caught yet get to vote, then all of the innocent that have been falsely imprisoned should get to vote too.

It's insane to place restrictions on voting based on our FUBAR "justice" system.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 04-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Since all the guilty that haven't been caught yet get to vote, then all of the innocent that have been falsely imprisoned should get to vote too.
    That is nonsense.

The problem of the falsely imprisoned or of those imprisoned for things that shouldn't be illegal is separate and the solution is not to let them vote while leaving them incarcerated.

Meanwhile the guilty should not get to decide who should run our country, those with criminal tendencies vote for criminal policies like communism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Lightbulb To live outside the law you must be honest

That is nonsense.

The problem of the falsely imprisoned or of those imprisoned for things that shouldn't be illegal is separate and the solution is not to let them vote while leaving them incarcerated.

Meanwhile the guilty should not get to decide who should run our country, those with criminal tendencies vote for criminal policies like communism.
    Those with criminal tendencies frequently end up on the ballot, listed as D or R.

Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Those with criminal tendencies frequently end up on the ballot, listed as D or R.

Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie
    More nonsense.

Many politicians are criminals but ALL criminals are criminals and they tend to vote for criminal politicians.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

These leftists are completely insane.

Ms. Harris made the comments in the fourth of five back-to-back town-hall meetings CNN gave several of the leading 2020 Democratic presidential-primary contenders.
    Before her, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont offered a full-throated defense of letting criminals vote while imprisoned, not ducking from including convicted Islamist terror-bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Of course anything to drive up their poll numbers during the election.

Kamala Harris: “We Should Have That Conversation”
    Disappointing. Thought we would be discussing “Slick” Willy Brown.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Puerto Rico lets prisoners vote and the Democrat Governor who signed it into law regretted it years later(obviously).

It is debatable whether they should be allowed to vote when their time is up (I'm against it), allowing them to vote during their incarceration is insane.
    I fail to see why one should lose their right to vote while imprisoned; unless their crime involves voting in some way.

On this we will have to disagree. Either an individual is ready to return to society as a full-fledged citizens with all inherent rights, or they are still a danger and need to remain incarcerated.

As to the OP, it won't be long before a democrat will demand that a conversation is needed to allow Mexicans and Canadians to vote in the U.S. election. They are our neighbors after all and our policies affect them. Which of course is the foot in the door for the conversation that the entire world has a stake in our election and should be allowed to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I fail to see why one should lose their right to vote while imprisoned; unless their crime involves voting in some way.
    I think one of the potential ways this could be exploited is that people in jail are even less informed about society and in a ripe environment for manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I think one of the potential ways this could be exploited is that people in jail are even less informed about society and in a ripe environment for manipulation.
    That is probably true; but they are counted in the census as well and I think their votes should count.

Of course I also think that anybody that doesn't pay any net taxes should be able to vote; which would end up making it so most prisoners not able to vote.

That is probably true; but they are counted in the census as well and I think their votes should count.

Of course I also think that anybody that doesn't pay any net taxes should be able to vote; which would end up making it so most prisoners not able to vote.
    I could see them buying votes with packs of cigarettes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Democrat Voter Registration.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	6390
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    On this we will have to disagree. Either an individual is ready to return to society as a full-fledged citizens with all inherent rights, or they are still a danger and need to remain incarcerated.
    Agreed. Nice and succinct.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This would make all government employees ineligible.

It's insane to place restrictions on voting based on our FUBAR "justice" system.
    Wait - I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not? To imply that our justice system convicts just as many people falsely as it does legitimately isn't going to hold water with many people. In all my reading I haven't found people arguing this, let me know if there are sources that can be linked to. I think the far larger argument is if our laws are truly 'just', or if we're just locking people up for possessing a plant, etc.

I don't really think we want to argue that because there are people out there who committed crimes and haven't been convicted, we need to let a demonstrably proven mass murderer vote in all our elections. I'm pretty sure the average person is far more likely to to grab onto the fact that there are "criminals walking free" and we need more of a police state to lock these people up.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Yes, it would. I don't think they should be able to vote. They should have to willingly give up that right when they choose to become govt employees. Same reason we don't let people that work for the lottery win the lottery or sweepstakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    I don't think we want to argue that because there are people out there who committed crimes and haven't been convicted, we need to let a demonstrably proven mass murderer vote in all our elections.
    Why not? His crime had nothing to do with voting.

1) Voting is not an inherent right. I'm honestly not convinced that all of the expansions of voting rights that have happened between the nation's founding and now have been good things.
    2) It shouldn't be a given that the way to deal with criminals has to be incarceration. I think our current system relies too much on prison. There should be other means of punishment and/or remediation on the table that can involve temporary or permanent loss of legal (though not natural) rights without putting someone in prison.

Yes, it would. I don't think they should be able to vote. They should have to willingly give up that right when they choose to become govt employees. Same reason we don't let people that work for the lottery win the lottery or sweepstakes, etc.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to specsaregood again."

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    1) Voting is not an inherent right. I'm honestly not convinced that all of the expansions of voting rights that have happened between the nation's founding and now have been good things.
    2) It shouldn't be a given that the way to deal with criminals has to be incarceration. I think our current system relies too much on prison. There should be other means of punishment and/or remediation on the table that can involve temporary or permanent loss of legal (though not natural) rights without putting someone in prison.
    I was speaking to the right to vote as a full fledged citizen. By "all inherent rights" I was referring to the right to bear arms, etc.

I was speaking to the right to vote as a full fledged citizen. By "all inherent rights" I was referring to the right to bear arms, etc.
    Oh ok. I thought you were talking about the right to vote. On the right to bear arms, I agree.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would you let a person who fails to pay his credit card bills continue to use a credit card?

Would you let someone who's violated society's compacts continue to participate in them? I wouldn't, once they pay their dues (via the justice system), then welcome back.

Because if you can murder people and still vote in elections then the party with the biggest guns win the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    Would you let a person who fails to pay his credit card bills continue to use a credit card?

Would you let someone who's violated society's compacts continue to participate in them? I wouldn't, once they pay their dues (via the justice system), then welcome back.
    Because we've been told if you don't like the laws, then vote to change them. I see no reason prisoners shouldn't have the opportunity to vote to change laws they disagree with.

They should be able to vote if they want Mac & Cheese or rice with their lunch on Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I think only the military should be allowed to vote of all federal govt employees .
    Do something Danke

For the same reason they lose their right to travel or have weapons while incarcerated, they are being punished.

They have also revealed their defective moral character and that means they are not fit to determine public policy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast