Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Human composting

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What is your problem with her post? She merely stated embalming fluids contain toxins.
    I don't have a problem with it if it's meant as a point in favor of doing what the OP is talking about, and if it's meant in agreement with what pcosmar said.

But since she says she meant that as a point against those, then it doesn't make sense.

Not using embalming fluids is part of the process the OP is talking about.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    They have been doing it for thousands of years..

Farmland became battlefields,, 200K men killed each other and a few left alive,, and it became farmland again.

From the Dust you were made and to Dust you return..
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    The problem is embalming fluids.

Arsenic and Old Graves: Civil War-Era Cemeteries May Be Leaking Toxins
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ins-180957115/
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Yes. And you also might go back and reread that post you were responding to, and specifically what he quoted in it and was responding to himself.
    Here, I will lay it out for you...it was in the line of what pcosmar said of which I highlighted and then pointed out how bad that idea was (then) with an article from the Smithsonian. Hindsight is 20/20.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I don't have a problem with it if it's meant as a point in favor of doing what the OP is talking about, and if it's meant in agreement with what pcosmar said.

But since she says she meant that as a point against those, then it doesn't make sense.

Not using embalming fluids is part of the process the OP is talking about.
    Well, some government approved rendering plant to turn me into fertilizer creeps me out just as much as being embalmed. What could go wrong?
    "The Patriarch"

Instead of "donating your body for science" would it then be an option to "donate your body for agriculture"?

Well, some government approved rendering plant to turn me into fertilizer creeps me out just as much as being embalmed. What could go wrong?
    Exactly.

This is why some cultures bury the dead within 24 hours. No need for pumping poisons into them, just let the life cycles do what it does best. That goes for cremation as well.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Being embalmed strikes me as incredibly creepy. Just dig a hole and chuck me in, fill it up and pass around a bottle and a pipe.
    Plant me with a small started tree,,.. and any celebration would be fine as well.

I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Plant me with a small started tree,,.. and any celebration would be fine as well.

I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY.
    Let me share a story about a tree...

My friend Joe imported a tree from Az into the middle of the Mojave desert in Ca. It is an Az willow and the only one to be found in that whole desert. As soon as he planted it he spread the word that he needs folks to stop and piss on it. 20 years later "Joe's tree" is huge and known by everyone local. In fact.... If someone wants to meet without disclosing exactly where... it is at "Joe's tree" in the middle of nowhere. May you someday be as important as Joe's tree.

Soylent Green is PEOPLE! Holy $#@!, does that mean Soylent Green is REAL?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Banned

Blog Entries

I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY.
    Me too. It has always been how I wish to be buried.
    I know there was another article here about that being legalized in Washington as well.
    It just seems the way it should be, to me.

In fact, my plan is, if I one day hear the terminal C word, to get my health together, and get out there, way out there in the mountains, in places I know, and dig my grave, then end it.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE! Holy $#@!, does that mean Soylent Green is REAL?
    Everything BUT Green

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

People should be able to dispose of themselves however they see fit. Let a family member dig a hole and put you in it, if that is what you want. No regulations required. Chop you up and burn you in the coal stove if that is what you want... Period...

Everything BUT Green

Right at the end of the movie it became soylent red...

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

From what I have seen , washington state has a lot of state legislators that need composting .
    Do something Danke

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    People should be able to dispose of themselves however they see fit. Let a family member dig a hole and put you in it, if that is what you want. No regulations required. Chop you up and burn you in the coal stove if that is what you want... Period...
    The funeral parlors would object to that. They have lobbied to make sure you have to pay something to dispose of a body.

We also have the folks who make the vaults the casket is placed in and the casket makers, they would also object.

If there is money to me made, the government has been lobbied to make laws to make sure that money is made.

Everything BUT Green

Soylent Brown?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    From what I have seen , washington state has a lot of state legislators that need composting .
    Quoted for truth.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Let me share a story about a tree...

My friend Joe imported a tree from Az into the middle of the Mojave desert in Ca. It is an Az willow and the only one to be found in that whole desert. As soon as he planted it he spread the word that he needs folks to stop and piss on it. 20 years later "Joe's tree" is huge and known by everyone local. In fact.... If someone wants to meet without disclosing exactly where... it is at "Joe's tree" in the middle of nowhere. May you someday be as important as Joe's tree.
    Cool story bro....
    "The Patriarch"

I think oyarde should be properly buried, not composting in the sun. I will help fund that. Any RPF members who wish to help in this effort, PM me.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I think oyarde should be properly buried, not composting in the sun. I will help fund that. Any RPF members who wish to help in this effort, PM me.
    I was thinking in a great temple , overlooking your home so I can keep helping to develop your character .
    Do something Danke

I was thinking in a great temple , overlooking your home so I can keep helping to develop your character .
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Cool story bro....
    I thought he was crazy planting that tree in the middle of nowhere like that. Turned out to be a long time reminder of him and a cool addition to the area.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Human Compost (Guess the State....)

No. You can't just 'mouse over'. I said guess.

Washington passes Bill to become first state to compost human bodies.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/u...t-human-bodies

But,,

Is it covered in my VA Burial?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

ok... so I will try and redeem myself.
    check this out....

https://twitter.com/kambrone64/statu...94155063709697

goin prospectin w/ my cell phone.. sure.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    No. You can't just 'mouse over'. I said guess.
    Washington , Oregon or California . Do I get a beer ?
    Do something Danke

Human compost to fight climate change

Decomposing HUMAN remains can legally be used as compost from 2027 thanks to new California law aimed at tackling climate change

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...te-change.html

A California law makes it legal to turn human remains into compost
    The process involves placing the body inside a reusable container along with wood chips and aerating it to allow microbes and bacteria to do their thing
    The law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom this week, takes effect in 2027
    ‘With climate change ... this is an alternative method of final disposition that won’t contribute emissions into our atmosphere,' the bill's author said

California will begin offering the option of human composting after death thanks to a bill recently signed into law that aims to tackle climate change.

Human composting, also known as natural organic reduction (NOR), would be an option for residents who don't want to be buried or cremated upon their death - starting in 2027.

The process involves placing the body inside a long, reusable steel container along with wood chips and flowers to aerate it - allowing microbes and bacteria to do break down the remains.

Approximately one month later, the remains will fully decompose and be turned into soil.

Advocates for the bill, which was signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday, have said that NOR is a more climate-friendly option.

Cremation in the U.S. alone emits about 360,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, according to National Geographic.

The bill bans the combining of various peoples' remains unless they are related.

But it does not make it illegal to sell the soil that results from the process or use it to grow food for human consumption.

‘AB 351 will provide an additional option for California residents that is more environmentally-friendly and gives them another choice for burial,’ Democratic Assembly member Cristina Garcia, the author of the bill, said in a statement.

‘With climate change and sea-level rise as very real threats to our environment, this is an alternative method of final disposition that won’t contribute emissions into our atmosphere.

‘I look forward to continuing my legacy to fight for clean air by using my reduced remains to plant a tree,’ she wrote, noting that she herself may choose the method when she passes away.

Micah Truman, founder and CEO of Return Home, a funeral home in the Seattle area that specializes in human composting, said there's been growing demand for the practice in recent years.

'With cremation, instead of sitting with our person and saying goodbye, we are very divorced from the process,' he told The Guardian.

Advocates for the bill, which was signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom this week, have said NOR is a more climate-friendly option
    +4
    View gallery
    Advocates for the bill, which was signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom this week, have said NOR is a more climate-friendly option

Truman said when a body is composted by his facility, the resulting soil is returned to the family to do with it as they wish - some customers have planted trees or flowers, while others have spread it into the ocean.

The Catholic Church in the state is against the process.

‘NOR uses essentially the same process as a home gardening composting system,’ the executive director of the California Catholic Conference, Kathleen Domingo, said in a statement to SFGATE.

She added that the process was developed for livestock, not humans.

‘These methods of disposal were used to lessen the possibility of disease being transmitted by the dead carcass,’ Domingo said.

‘Using these same methods for the “transformation” of human remains can create an unfortunate spiritual, emotional and psychological distancing from the deceased.'

Washington, Colorado and Oregon have all legalized the process of composting human remains. However, Colorado does not allow the soil to be sold or used to grow food for human consumption.

Under a bill recently passed by New York's state legislature, only cemeteries would be allowed to apply for a license to offer human composting - which the New York State Funeral Directors Association objects to.

'Funeral directors have always essentially prided themselves as being very responsive, fully responsive, to what a person deserves for their own funeral and burial - however they would like it,' Randy McCullough, deputy executive director of the organization, told NY1 News.

'And we still want to do that with this process. We're not opposed at all to the introduction of these alternative disposition processes, per se.'

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast