Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Ron Paul Forum alumni "Elwar" is in big trouble - Help is needed

called Tom's office

g00d
    vibes
    go out
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    There are some here who support shooting people suspected of illegally crossing a border on site without a trial.
    Someone invades my home in the middle of the night with ill intent gets no trial.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Someone invades my home in the middle of the night with ill intent gets no trial.
    Let's hope the government of Thailand does a better job than some here of recognizing how entering the territory a government considers itself sovereign over is not the same as entering a person's home.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 04-22-2019 at 10:52 AM.

That 2,000 mile stretch north of the Rio Grande, and unused public land out west and in Alaska... so you have a Private Property Deed to all of that? If so then I back you.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    That 2,000 mile stretch north of the Rio Grande, and unused public land out west and in Alaska... so you have a Private Property Deed to all of that? If so then I back you.
    If you commit a crime there is it invalid because no one lives there?

Thai Navy Tows Home Of Fugitive American Seasteader

April 22, 2019 by Reuters

A Royal Thai navy ship drags a floating home, lived in by an American man and his Thai partner, in the Andaman Sea, off Phuket Island in Thailand, April 22, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer

By Panu Wongcha-um (Reuters) – Thailand’s navy on Monday began towing to shore the floating cabin of a fugitive U.S. citizen and his Thai girlfriend, both prominent members of the “seasteading” movement who face possible death sentences for setting up their offshore home.

The cabin set on top of a spar 14 nautical miles off the Thai island of Phuket had been touted as milestone in the movement to build floating communities in international waters as a way to explore alternative societies and governments.

Authorities have revoked the visa of bitcoin trader Chad Elwartowski, 46, and charged him and his partner, Supranee Thepdet, with violating Thai sovereignty, punishable by the death penalty or life in prison.

The Royal Thai Navy dispatched three boats on Monday to dismantle the structure and bring it back to shore for use as evidence in the government’s case against the couple.

“The couple announced on social media declaring their autonomy beyond the jurisdiction of any courts or law of any countries, including Thailand,” Rear Admiral Vithanarat Kochaseni told reporters, adding they had invited others to join them.

“We see such action as deteriorating Thailand’s independence,” he said.

HTMS Mannai, a landing craft utility ship, was expected to return to Phuket with the six-meter (20 ft) wide, hexagon-shaped cabin by late Monday.

Elwartowski and Supranee lived in the cabin for two months and left before the Thai navy raided the structure on April 13.

Their whereabouts are unknown, though the government has said the pair is believed to be in Thailand.

Elwartowski has referred requests for comment to Ocean Builders, which funded and built the cabin, and the Seasteading Institute, which advocates building offshore floating cities and originally received backing from PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel.

Ocean Builders said on its website the cabin was in international waters and beyond Thailand’s jurisdiction. Thai authorities say the structure is within its 200-mile exclusive economic zone and therefore a violation of its sovereignty.

Joe Quirk, president of the Seasteading Institute, said the couple had achieved a milestone for the movement.

“They proved a single-family seastead can float stably in international waters for less than the cost of the average American home,” Quirk said in a statement.

Elwartowski also conducted valuable research on ecosystems over the two months the couple lived in the cabin, he said.

“You can demolish the seastead, but you can’t demolish the knowledge that was gained,” said Quirk, who is described by his group as a “seavangelist” and an “aquapreneur”.

Additional reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat. Editing by Kay Johnson and Darren Schuettler

Filed Under: Blog Tagged With: seasteading, Thailand

https://gcaptain.com/thai-navy-tows-home-of-fugitive-american-seasteader
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    called Tom's office

g00d
    vibes
    go out
    +rep

I'm outta ammo, somebody cover me please

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I say we send in @oyarde.
    I am not sure I thoroughly understand but I think he is not in custody . They are saying they are revoking his visa . Let us say they have valid passports , if so I would see what kind of airports are available in Laos , start walking and get out of Siam , Malaysia , Cambodia and the rest of the armpit of that entire region and catch a flight into India or something where he would just be regarded a pale tourist until he can get somewhere better . If he can get here I can give him a beer and help he find a more suitable handle than Elwartowski if he is planning on a lifetime of an international crime spree like squatting inside the 200 mile economic zone of Siam. In the old days I would walk into Pakistan from India and Laos from Nam . My advice would be get the $#@! out , yesterday . Waiting to see about help puts you in a defensive position making it easier for the govt to find you . When they find you they are intending to jail you even before charges so then you cannot escape .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-22-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Suppose for a minute that Seasteading became very popular and millions of people set up their Seastead 12NM off the coast of Thailand. Would that have an adverse effect on Thailand?
    I dunno . They would be buying things from the place closest to them so .......
    Do something Danke

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I dunno . They would be buying things from the place closest to them so .......
    The Seastead could set up a barricade and charge a toll for anyone that wanted to go to the island.

+rep

I'm outta ammo, somebody cover me please
    Covered
    Do something Danke

That structure is no island. There are no trees, forests, deserts, mountains. There is no place to hide and no place to go. How is it that the residents were not there when SHTF? Did someone tip them off? Did they know the raid or arrest warrants were in effect ahead of time? Why would they be away from their paradise? Did they leave often? Do they vacation on a yacht that is bigger than their Seastead? It is not like they went out for a walk or down the street to pick up a pack of smokes.

Gee, why isn't anyone proposing asking trump to help in this situation?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Maybe because nobody here is close to Trump? The better question is why isn't anyone calling Rand's office. Trump is a long shot for his position alone but calling Rand should be a no brainer.

Thanks to the people that called their representatives, I hope he and his property gets released and he can go on living his sea steader life.

Edit: Oops, Swords already asked if anyone can contact Rand.
    Last edited by juleswin; 04-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    If you commit a crime there is it invalid because no one lives there?
    Depends on the crime, can he trespass on the land? I think the answer is NO if its on an open to the public land.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Why would trump help? One is not an American citizen and the other wants to live outside the US control/meddling? You can't very well disassociate from one then ask it for help later. I say this as one that has nothing but respect for them trying and taking that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Why would trump help? One is not an American citizen and the other wants to live outside the US control/meddling? You can't very well disassociate from one then ask it for help later. I say this as one that has nothing but respect for them trying and taking that risk.
    My curiosity in watching this discussion is with the idea that any politician like Trump or even Rand is even going to start or risk an international relations issue for one person who made his own decisions. What are they supposed to do? threaten sanctions? Represent the U.S. in a conflict to protect this one unfortunate gentleman? At some point reality comes into play.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    My curiosity in watching this discussion is with the idea that any politician like Trump or even Rand is even going to start or risk an international relations issue for one person who made his own decisions. What are they supposed to do? threaten sanctions? Represent the U.S. in a conflict to protect this one unfortunate gentleman? At some point reality comes into play.
    Rand, or Massie/Amash could try and contact the Thai govt. and try and work something out. It would be difficult for somebody who isn't a politician to do that.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Rand, or Massie/Amash could try and contact the Thai govt. and try and work something out. It would be difficult for somebody who isn't a politician to do that.
    Realistically, Does anyone really think they have time to make all this effort for one expat? Don't get me wrong... I see the brotherly love and direct connection with this situation. But at some point it has to be realized that it is out of their hands and there really is not much they can really do to another nation to help this individual without threats. It very well could be a pipe dream to even think so.

How are they going to work something out? What do they have to offer? Do they even have the legal power to offer or make deals? Are they to pull a Kerry and make deals behind the back of the U.S. in international relations. It's a nice thought and I wish it might be possible but again, at some point reality has to come into play with these things. They just don't care enough or have the time to upset international relations over this.

Unfortunately... They do not hold the purism and principles "to the last man" you are expecting them to hold. They have bigger fish to fry in the "bigger picture". But I would suggest that if you really want to try... Hit them on Twitter, because any other way will be absolutely fruitless and be completely ignored.

Realistically, Does anyone really think they have time to make all this effort for one expat? Don't get me wrong... I see the brotherly love and direct connection with this situation. But at some point it has to be realized that it is out of their hands and there really is not much they can really do to another nation to help this individual without threats. It very well could be a pipe dream to even think so.

How are they going to work something out? What do they have to offer? Do they even have the legal power to offer or make deals? Are they to pull a Kerry and make deals behind the back of the U.S. in international relations. It's a nice thought and I wish it might be possible but again, at some point reality has to come into play with these things. They just don't care enough or have the time to upset international relations over this.

Unfortunately... They do not hold the purism and principles "to the last man" you are expecting them to hold. They have bigger fish to fry in the "bigger picture". But I would suggest that if you really want to try... Hit them on Twitter, because any other way will be absolutely fruitless and be completely ignored.
    Ya we don't know the answer to any of those questions, which is precisely why calling them and talking to them is the best course of action.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ya we don't know the answer to any of those questions, which is precisely why calling them and talking to them is the best course of action.
    More like having them call the state department or our Ambassador to Thailand and asking them to get involved would probably be the proper/best course of action.

More like having them call the state department or our Ambassador to Thailand and asking them to get involved would probably be the proper/best course of action.
    Ya, whatever they do is fine.. the point is if the Thai govt. doesn't get a call, then they won't think anybody here cares and they might mess with him more.

Honestly... I would love to hear that you did some good... Please keep me updated on how it goes...

Ya, whatever they do is fine.. the point is if the Thai govt. doesn't get a call, then they won't think anybody here cares and they might mess with him more.
    And it could cause animosity making his situation even worse. There are whole lot of personal egos involved with this to consider, A local authority in Thailand might be up for reelection and using this as a plank. There is always a bigger picture in reality.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The embassy is already involved, according to the article. I think bribes would be the quickest path to expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The embassy is already involved, according to the article. I think bribes would be the quickest path to expedition.
    It is a good thing he is independently wealthy affording him the capability of paying a huge bribe.

Honestly... I would love to hear that you did some good... Please keep me updated on how it goes...
    Sometimes all it takes is a phone call from an "elected official" to grease the skids.

... must spread rep

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast