Thread: Driving? The Kids Are So Over It

Exclamation Driving? The Kids Are So Over It

Driving? The Kids Are So Over It

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving...it-11555732810

By Adrienne Roberts

April 20, 2019 12:00 a.m. ET

If teenagers are any guide, Americans’ love affair with the automobile may no longer be something car makers can bank on.

The percentage of teens with a driver’s license has tumbled in the last few decades and more young people are delaying purchasing their first car—if buying one at all, say analysts, generational experts and car industry executives. About a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver’s license in 2017, a sharp decline from nearly half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak.

Whereas a driver’s license once was a symbol of freedom, teenagers are reaching their driving age at a time when most have access to ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft to shuttle them around town. At the same time, social media and video chat let them hang out with friends without actually leaving the house.

When they reach their 20s, more are moving to big cities with mass transit, where owning a car is neither necessary nor practical. And of those who do buy a car, many more than in older generations opt for a used one, according to J.D. Power.

One reason for that is rising new-vehicle prices. Detroit has jettisoned many of their lower-priced compact and subcompact cars like the Ford Fiesta and Chevy Cruze that have traditionally been starter cars for young buyers. For the auto makers, the strategy makes sense: Sport-utility vehicles or trucks have steadily become more popular over the past decade, and also have much better profit margins.

Now, a new mind-set among many Generation Zers—roughly those born after 1997—is confounding parents and stumping auto makers at a time when new-vehicle sales in the U.S. are slowing.

“That freedom of getting your own wheels and a license—and that being the most important thing in life—is gone,” said Brent Wall, owner of All Star Driver Education in Michigan, a chain of drivers’-ed schools. He said the average age of students in his class is rising. “It used to be the day they turned 14 years and eight months, everybody was lining up at the door. Now I’m starting to see more 15- and 16-year-olds in class.” He frequently hears from parents that they’re the ones pushing their children to enroll.

David Metzler, of Culver City, Calif., is baffled that his 16-year-old daughter June sees no reason to get her license.

“I went out and got it immediately” upon turning 16, he said. “I wanted to get out of the house and go places. For her, getting a license is more like planning for the future.”

June Metzler says she is content with inviting friends over or hanging out with them after school. “Going out to eat is hard, but I can live with it,” she said.

Auto-industry executives say they are attuned to the shifting sentiment—even hearing it from their own children—and are adapting some of their marketing strategies. Japanese auto makers are keeping their lower-priced sedans as a way to attract young people to their brands. But Detroit is betting that even if young people wait longer to buy a car, they eventually will when finances improve and they start families. And then, they’ll buy an SUV or truck.

Some industry analysts aren’t so sure Detroit will be proven right in its bet on larger cars.

“It’s a gamble,” said Mark Wakefield, a global co-leader of automotive and industrial practice at consulting firm AlixPartners, saying that for the auto makers it’s no longer workable to offer a vehicle for every price point. “With urbanization and the cost of ownership going up, those two things combined with the fact that it’s a mature market certainly could put a damper on car sales,” he said.

“Gen Z buyers’ participation in the new-car space is declining year after year,” said Tyson Jominy, an analyst with research firm J.D. Power. “We expect to see them get their first job” and buy a car. “But we’re not seeing this.”

J.D. Power estimates that Gen Zers will purchase about 120,000 fewer new vehicles this year compared with millennials in 2004, when they were the new generation of drivers—or 488,198 vehicles versus 607,329 then.

The youngest drivers are more likely to buy used vehicles than older generations.

Cost is increasingly a challenge. The average price paid for a new vehicle was $32,544 in 2018, up from $25,490 a decade ago, according to J.D. Power. The average monthly payment on a new-car loan reached $535 a month last year, or more than 10% of the median household income, a level most Americans can’t afford, said Cox Automotive.

Generation Zers grew up during the financial crisis and tend to be more budget-conscious, according to researchers who study generational trends. In addition, many face substantial student-loan payments, making them more cautious about big-ticket purchases. Total student-loan debt has soared to $1.5 trillion, surpassing Americans’ credit-card and car-loan bills.

The process for teenagers is also getting more expensive. State budget cuts have meant that many public schools no longer offer free driver’s training and a private course can cost upward of a thousand dollars, say driver’s-ed professionals.

On top of the shortage of small cars, auto makers are also packing more technology into vehicles, contributing to rising prices. The new extras also make cars more expensive to repair, helping to drive up car-insurance costs, another deterrent for many teens and 20-somethings.

Bob Carter, Toyota Motor Corp.’s North American sales chief, says that auto makers are aware young people face different financial pressures than previous generations. “We just got to be prepared that getting their license is going to happen later” than has been the norm.

To adapt, some car companies are expanding into new transportation ventures, such as car sharing and electric scooters, to better compete with the ride-hailing options offered by Silicon Valley. But to fund costly investments in new technology and ventures such as electric and self-driving vehicles, auto makers need to keep sales of traditional cars growing.

That may prove tricky if a different mind-set continues to take hold.

In 1983, the first year Mr. Sivak began analyzing the ages of drivers based on licensing data, the percentage of 16-year-olds with driver’s licenses was 46%. By 2008, it had fallen to less than a third and in 2014, it hit a low point of 24.5%. It was up slightly to 26% in 2017, which Mr. Sivak said was likely due to the economy improving.

Even among those in their early 20s, fewer are getting their licenses. About 80% of 20- to 24-year-olds were licensed drivers in 2017, compared with 92% in 1983, Mr. Sivak found.

“The topic comes up in cocktail conversations all the time,” said Stephanie Frazier, a parent of an 18-year-old in Hawaii who she says has no interest in getting a driver’s license. “When I was that age, I wanted wheels and freedom.”

Lizette Dominguez, a sophomore in Westfield, Ind., who turned 16 this month, says she hasn’t gotten around to getting a license yet. “I have after-school activities, homework and clubs.” The cost of driver’s education also deterred her. “It costs almost $400.”

Ms. Dominguez said she uses Uber or has one of her older friends give her a ride to the movies, a friend’s house or the mall.

To appeal to younger consumers, several auto makers. have recently debuted small, sporty crossovers priced under $25,000.

Hyundai Motor Co. , for example, rolled out a new Kona small utility last year that comes packed with technology—including a seven-inch touch screen—for a starting price of $19,000. The Korean auto maker revealed an even smaller crossover, called the Venue, at the New York Auto Show this month.

Volvo Cars two years ago launched a vehicle-subscription service to attract millennials and Gen Zers who don’t want to own a car outright. Subscribers pay about $700 a month to drive a Volvo model for a year and then can swap it out for a different one. Unlike a traditional leasing contract, there are no financing charges and insurance is included.

Meanwhile, appealing to Gen Zers was part of the motivation behind Ford Motor Co.’s purchase last year of electric-scooter startup Spin, says Sheryl Connelly, Ford’s manager for consumer trends. She said the auto maker is also looking to invest in other urban-mobility ventures such as electric bikes, as well as ride-hailing and car-sharing services.

The cost challenges have sent many young car buyers to the used-vehicle lot, and analysts say this trend is likely to continue even as they get older. About 60% of car shoppers in their early 20s bought preowned cars last year, up from 57% five years ago, according to J.D. Power.

Neika Daniel, a 17-year-old high-school student in Little River, Texas, said she is focused on price more than anything else. With help from her parents, she recently bought a used 2016 Volkswagen Beetle for $2,500, and while not fancy, it gets her around.

“It was a relief to avoid car payments and debt,” she said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Contributing factors not mentioned in the article:

1 - Driver's licenses are de facto national ID cards.

2 - Government "cash for clunkers" programs have dried up and overpriced the used car market.

3 - Every time you drive, you run the risk of encountering Officer Friendly and his Buddies, eager to mulct your wallet and $#@! up your day.

4 - Teen age prohibitions and punishments for the most minor of traffic violations are Draconian.

5 - Cars today are insanely complicated and complex, almost entirely due to government mandates and fatwas, putting back yard wrenching, tuning, repairs and maintenance beyond the skill and budget of most teen age kids.

6 - Through a combination of yet to be determined factors, most likely poisons in the air, food and water of a modern day diet, in addition to the poisons of the mind found in the almost universal gynocracy of "day care", schools and other institutions, young men have turned into a bunch of slack jawed fagggots, more interested in fingering cel phones or each other's $#@!s, than either girls or cars (eww, my hands will get messy).

Yeah, I was surprised when my nephews turned 16 and were in no hurry to get a driver's license.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Who are the parents of these kids? Why are they letting them be this lazy?

My kid will be getting his permit and license as soon as possible in order to run errands for me and cart my ass around. He will be dropping my ass off at the front of the store while he parks a half mile away, then going to get it and pick me up. Just like my parents did to me.

And the article seems surprised when some kid ends up with a used car as their first car? WTF? I don't believe I knew a single person that got a new car when they got their license. I certainly didn't. I drove a long line of $#@!boxes for years until I could afford to buy a new car myself.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post

My kid will be getting his permit and license as soon as possible in order to run errands for me and cart my ass around. He will be dropping my ass off at the front of the store while he parks a half mile away, then going to get it and pick me up. Just like my parents did to me.

And the article seems surprised when some kid ends up with a used car as their first car? WTF? I don't believe I knew a single person that got a new car when they got their license. I certainly didn't. I drove a long line of $#@!boxes for years until I could afford to buy a new car myself.
    This is how we all grew up.

Buy your own car or pay insurance on mom-n-dads then beg to use the damn thing..

Shop class was for building hotrods, welding had practical applications like spring-pads, motor mounts etc., machine shop was all about surfacing heads and grinding valves..

Driving was the culture.

It's sad really. These kids have no enthusiasm to drive. I couldn't wait to get my license and drive where I wanted to go-- it was my goal to have that freedom, so to speak. I also kept my '66 El Camino clean and polished, because I was so proud that I paid the owner, in cash, that I saved working my arse off.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'll bet more of what's 'driving' this is partly (blsht) and partly
    the fact that parents are putting the burden of vehicle ownership
    on the kids, that means a farganon job .....nooooooo!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    This is how we all grew up.

Buy your own car or pay insurance on mom-n-dads then beg to use the damn thing..

Shop class was for building hotrods, welding had practical applications like spring-pads, motor mounts etc., machine shop was all about surfacing heads and grinding valves..

Driving was the culture.
    Number 7 on my list that I forgot add:

Cars and roads are now mobile Panopticons, keeping you under total surveillance. Gone are the days of just cruising for the sake of going for a ride to get away from it all.

No kid younger than 25 will ever know that feeling.

And that (among so many other things) is a god damned crime, against every single one of us.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Number 7 on my list that I forgot add:

Cars and roads are now mobile Panopticons, keeping you under total surveillance. Gone are the days of just cruising for the sake of going for a ride to get away from it all.

No kid younger than 25 will ever know that feeling.

And that (among so many other things) is a god damned crime, against every single one of us.
    yeah remember "cruising" the strip with your buddies maybe see some babes, etc...

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

No ambition. No sense of independence. No healthy spirit of rebellion. No balls.

All deliberately engineered.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    yeah remember "cruising" the strip with your buddies maybe see some babes, etc...
    even in my day they had anti-cruising laws where if you passed the same spot on the strip more than 3 times, they'd pull you over and screw with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    No ambition. No sense of independence. No healthy spirit of rebellion. No balls.

All deliberately engineered.
    Washed right out of them.

Elois.

I didn't get my license when I was 16. I got it back in 2011.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Washed right out of them.

Elois.

Domesticated, tagged and catalogued like all good livestock.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Domesticated, tagged and catalogued like all good livestock.
    Like I said: a god damned crime...I see 100 miles of bad road ahead.

What a bunch of weirdos. When you're a little kid riding a big wheel, or tricycle, then a bike etc. all you're doing is imagining driving a car. I couldn't wait to get my driver's license. I was counting down the days.

Uber? That's stupid. It's not about actually getting from one place to another, it's about FREEDOM.

I don't know about youngins these days.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I took a car to get an oil change recently (PITA to do it myself), and it was somewhat funny that the guys working at the place could not drive it into the garage, because they had no idea how to drive a stick.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It’s incredible the vehicles that kids get these days. Brand new cars for their birthday, and these are not wealthy people. They take out cars loans. Where’s that thread about financial intelligence?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I took a car to get an oil change recently (PITA to do it myself), and it was somewhat funny that the guys working at the place could not drive it into the garage, because they had no idea how to drive a stick.
    Are you sure they figured out how to change the oil?

Kids are being raised with no sense of responsibility. Most of their parents were raised that way, too.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

How many of them casually hear from the news that Self Driving cars around around the corner? That being a licensed driver is soon to be obsolete?

As for me, I'm a trucker so I drive constantly and I think driving around any major metro area is a mess. I despise it and I can understand younger people thinking the whole thing is stupid. In many places the cars are pushing the limits of the highways capacity. Learning to drive is to learn to sit in bumper to bumper traffic especially when the seasonal construction starts. To be a little fair, it's not like this everywhere, but I can imagine it is where the kids in this article live at.

I also have some sympathy for the idea of more mass transit options because cities have to many freakin cars on the road for rush hour or long distance commuters just fill up the freeway.

even in my day they had anti-cruising laws where if you passed the same spot on the strip more than 3 times, they'd pull you over and screw with you.
    They did that in my day too, especially at the more urban spots. But the local town clowns would pull you over just as often to screw with you. Some things never change (d).
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s incredible the vehicles that kids get these days. Brand new cars for their birthday, and these are not wealthy people. They take out cars loans. Where’s that thread about financial intelligence?

I had a salvage title car well into my 20s. When I traded it in, I think I got $100 for it. Literally.

Any parent who lets their kid drive a new car is a bad parent and is teaching their kid a horrible lesson.

And on a side note, I feel like 70-80% of the people I see on the road driving German cars have not reached a level of success commensurate with the car they are driving. Seems like a lot of people skip the whole working hard part and go straight to the consumption part.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-21-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    How many of them casually hear from the news that Self Driving cars around around the corner? That being a licensed driver is soon to be obsolete?

As for me, I'm a trucker so I drive constantly and I think driving around any major metro area is a mess. I despise it and I can understand younger people thinking the whole thing is stupid. In many places the cars are pushing the limits of the highways capacity. Learning to drive is to learn to sit in bumper to bumper traffic especially when the seasonal construction starts. To be a little fair, it's not like this everywhere, but I can imagine it is where the kids in this article live at.

I also have some sympathy for the idea of more mass transit options because cities have to many freakin cars on the road for rush hour or long distance commuters just fill up the freeway.
    Funny you should ask. My driver's ed teacher back in teh 90s said that should be happening any day now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if another contributing factor is the Children of Illegal Immigrants are strongly encouraged by their parents to not have anything to do with getting licenses? After all, they are taught, by MSM their parents and even their OWN GOVERNMENTS that taking everything from Whitey is their RIGHT! To them, MAGA should be Make America Mexico Again... And Drivers Licenses are Racist!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.