Thread: Forcing a smile at work linked to heavy drinking: study

Forcing a smile at work linked to heavy drinking: study

Researchers used data from a survey funded by the National Institutes of Health, called the National Survey of Work Stress and Health, which had included 3,000 participants in the U.S.

Researchers used phone interview data from 1,592 of those U.S. workers. Data collection was supported by a National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism grant.
    The study looked at how often workers who faked or suppressed emotions and how often they drank after hours. It also measured variables like how impulsive the employees are or how much control they have at work.
    Researchers found a stronger link between surface acting and drinking with highly impulsive people who work in jobs that don't develop a relationship with the customers they have to interact with (for example, employees at call centers). People at these types of jobs are usually young and entry-level professionals who don't have the social or financial benefits that can outweigh the costs of having to "fake it" all the time, according to the study.
    "The relationship between surface acting and drinking after work was stronger for people who are impulsive or who lack personal control over behavior at work," said Grandey. "If you're impulsive or constantly told how to do your job, it may be harder to rein in your emotions all day, and when you get home, you don't have that self-control to stop after one drink."
    Grandey said people who work in more rewarding jobs will be less likely to drink afterward.
    "Nurses, for example, may amplify or fake their emotions for clear reasons," Grandey said. "They're trying to comfort a patient or build a strong relationship. But someone who is faking emotions for a customer they may never see again, that may not be as rewarding, and may ultimately be more draining or demanding."
    She hopes this study will change how bosses treat their employees.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/health/forci...rinking-report
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I read this earlier this morning. As a salesman I can say that it is only a wimp who allows this crap to bother them. Rise above it and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    I read this earlier this morning. As a salesman I can say that it is only a wimp who allows this crap to bother them. Rise above it and move on...
    The world is full of wimps.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The world is full of wimps.
    Now that is an understatement and a 1/2. lol

"Prove an injury" comes to mind...

Suppressing emotions? Really? Maybe the problem is that people who drink heavily have not learned to manage their emotions and are too immature for the kind of work they do.

I work with the public. People can be very demanding and unreasonable. I’m pretty good at talking them down from the ledge, but it’s tough. One of my supervisors once said, “This is a hard job. Everyone has bad days and I’m surprised you don’t have more of them.”

Maturity is what gives people the ability to manage their emotions. Grow up.
    Do something Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Suppressing emotions? Really? Maybe the problem is that people who drink heavily have not learned to manage their emotions and are too immature for the kind of work they do.

I work with the public. People can be very demanding and unreasonable. Iím pretty good at talking them down from the ledge, but itís tough. One of my supervisors once said, ďThis is a hard job. Everyone has bad days and Iím surprised you donít have more of them.Ē

Absolutely... But we are now taught to be hurt and complain with every word we don't like and seek therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post

I work with the public. People can be very demanding and unreasonable. Iím pretty good at talking them down from the ledge, but itís tough. One of my supervisors once said, ďThis is a hard job. Everyone has bad days and Iím surprised you donít have more of them.Ē

I have watched mothers cover the eyes of their children because a garbage truck went by and they didn't want them to the reality of the fact that human kind are disgusting pigs. Hide their eyes and it makes the fact null and void? THIS is the problem. Let them see reality and they will learn from it for the better...

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have watched mothers cover the eyes of their children because a garbage truck went by and they didn't want them to the reality of the fact that human kind are disgusting pigs. Hide their eyes and it makes the fact null and void? THIS is the problem. Let them see reality and they will learn from it for the better...
    I guarantee it's because they just don't want their kids to see those guys riding on the back of the truck and pick "garbage man" as future occupation. (like me, when I was a kid.)
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

RAND 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    I guarantee it's because they just don't want their kids to see those guys riding on the back of the truck and pick "garbage man" as future occupation. (like me, when I was a kid.)
    Lol... I did the garbage man thing for about 7 years as a heavy equipment mechanic working on all the related equipment. But I had to do it all before it was over with covering vacations and Etc. It's an honorable profession that even requires an FBI background clearance.

I had a lot , I mean a lot of functional alcoholics working for me and I do not think any of them forced smiles. Overall I would also summarize that most of them kept emotion in check better than others . So I dunno about the study , I think my experiences are with different people in different jobs than the study .
    Do something Danke

Smiling was never a job requirement.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Lol... I did the garbage man thing for about 7 years as a heavy equipment mechanic working on all the related equipment. But I had to do it all before it was over with covering vacations and Etc. It's an honorable profession that even requires an FBI background clearance.
    Usually have to be cleared by the existing Crew,, which can be worse.

and the FBI has looked at me once or twice.
    Cleared me for a Port Pass after 911

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

People who hate their jobs pretend not to hate them: shocker.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

-H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Usually have to be cleared by the existing Crew,, which can be worse.

and the FBI has looked at me once or twice.
    Cleared me for a Port Pass after 911

Right after in 2001 is when I got hired into the industry. Got a kick out of going to sensitive facilities and having the guard at the gate give me crap about entry. ID... Sign in.... Wait for approval... Etc. Screw that... I had 130 front load locations to hit and 300 miles to cover and had to get it done in 12 hours or I had to fill out a DOT log. "Excuse me dude... I have the key code please move or I will run you over", lol
    Last edited by ATruepatriot; 04-14-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Right after in 2001 is when I got hired into the industry. Got a kick out of going to sensitive facilities and having the guard at the gate give me crap about entry. ID... Sign in.... Wait for approval... Etc. Screw that... I had 130 front load locations to hit and 300 miles to cover and had to get it done in 12 hours or I had to fill out a DOT log. "Excuse me dude... I have the key code please move or I will run you over", lol
    Only had to go to the docks on occasion.. but job required..

I found it humorous because I was On Parole at the time.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Only had to go to the docks on occasion.. but job required..

I found it humorous because I was On Parole at the time.
    That was one thing about the garbage business. They were pretty good about giving second chances. I mean... Really... The new district managers didn't go for orientation at corporate headquarters in Texas. They went for "orientation" in Chicago If you get my drift... lol

Thank you... It was hard work... But it was probably to date one of the funnest lines of work I have been in yet. Man do I have stories. lol

Best was when I picked up the local prison cans one afternoon on a regular route and the guards did not check the bins like they were supposed to before I dumped them. Yep, two inmates scrambled out of the top of the truck just before I "packed" them. lol

Thank you... It was hard work... But it was probably to date one of the funnest lines of work I have been in yet. Man do I have stories. lol

Best was when I picked up the local prison cans one afternoon on a regular route and the guards did not check the bins like they were supposed to before I dumped them. Yep, two inmates scrambled out of the top of the truck just before I "packed" them. lol
    Was one of them Pete?
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

RAND 20/20

Was one of them Pete?
    Osmar? lol

I have no clue actually... I know I jumped out and asked them what the hell they were thinking as the guards were yelling at me to get back in the truck. lol

After that I always made a big show of packing the crap out of the garbage while in place to discourage them from ever trying it again. They could hear that packer blade crunching the crap out of that stuff. They would never live through it.

Was one of them Pete?
    Nope,, never escaped,,, though I always had an exit.

With over 20 years left on my sentence,,, I was walking in and out of the place unsupervised..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Good thing I'm not a hard drinker. I didn't even drink any alcohol last month when I celebrated my birthday.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Good thing I'm not a hard drinker. I didn't even drink any alcohol last month when I celebrated my birthday.
    Not bad , I think that means that birthday did not even count . The hangover from my summer retirement party of endless draft beers and gin & tonics probably evened up for the 50 years of previous Birthdays I worked
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Do something Danke