Thread: Kim Jong Un Appoints More Generals In Military Shakeup While Extending Hand To Trump

Kim Jong Un Appoints More Generals In Military Shakeup While Extending Hand To Trump

Amidst the ongoing nuclear negotiation standoff with the United States, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has initiated a large-scale military shakeup, bolstering his general officers corps with a wave of promotions.
    The move is said to mark the upcoming birthday of his grandfather and North Korea founder Kim Il Sung, according to state media, but more significantly Kim used the occasion to extend another hand to Washington, signaling he's not given up after the disappointing failed February talks with Trump in Hanoi, which rapidly broke down.

Kim said on Saturday during a speech on state television he would be willing to hold a third summit with Trump, and said Washington has until the end of the year to make a nuclear deal happen.
    Crucially, Trump responded quickly and in the affirmative, tweeting Saturday that a third summit "would be good" and noted warmly "we fully understand where we each stand" in terms of the two leaders' personal relationship.
    "I agree with Kim Jong Un of North Korea that our personal relationship remains very good, perhaps the term excellent would be even more accurate, and that a third Summit would be good in that we fully understand where we each stand,” Trump posted to Twitter.
    I agree with Kim Jong Un of North Korea that our personal relationship remains very good, perhaps the term excellent would be even more accurate, and that a third Summit would be good in that we fully understand where we each stand. North Korea has tremendous potential for.......
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 13, 2019
    “North Korea has tremendous potential for....... ...extraordinary growth, economic success and riches under the leadership of Chairman Kim," Trump continued. "I look forward to the day, which could be soon, when Nuclear Weapons and Sanctions can be removed, and then watching North Korea become one of the most successful nations of the World!"
    ....extraordinary growth, economic success and riches under the leadership of Chairman Kim. I look forward to the day, which could be soon, when Nuclear Weapons and Sanctions can be removed, and then watching North Korea become one of the most successful nations of the World!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 13, 2019
    The significant public breakthrough in direct public dialogue following Hanoi was coupled Kim ordering three people to be promoted to full general with 33 others raised to the rank major general on Sunday.
    Bloomberg described the occasion as follows:
    The promotions come shortly after Kim reaffirmed his faith in top aides involved in nuclear talks with the U.S. In a Supreme People’s Assembly meeting earlier this month, North Korea reappointed Kim Yong Chol as a member of the State Affairs Commission led by Kim Jong Un himself. The country has also promoted Choe Son Hui to first vice foreign minister.
    Importantly it was Kim Yong Chol that met with Trump at the White House earlier this year, who also had a key role in paving the way for talks with the US in Vietnam.
    This second summit ended badly when Trump walked out of the meeting after it was clear not deal would be reached. “Sometimes you have to walk, and this was just one of those times,” President Trump had said at the time of his cutting short the Vietnam summit.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ing-hand-trump
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Korea wants Trump to end sanctions or they will resume missile testing. Both sides say the other must make concessions first. I expect that if there is a third meeting it will be the same as the first two. Korea won't dismantle their nuclear program.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...th-us/11001212

Mr Kim blamed the collapse of his summit with Mr Trump in February on what he described as unilateral demands by the United States, which he said raised questions over whether Washington had genuine willingness to improve relations.

"We of course place importance on resolving problems through dialogue and negotiations. But US-style dialogue of unilaterally pushing its demands doesn't fit us, and we have no interest in it," Mr Kim said during a speech to the North Korean Parliament.

Mr Kim said the United States had been refusing to withdraw what the North perceived as "hostile policies" while sticking to "mistaken judgment that we would succumb to maximum pressure."

He said the North would not compromise on the "fundamental interests of our country and people, even by a speck", and blamed the United States for arriving in Hanoi with "completely unrealisable plans".

"If the United States approaches us with the right manner and offers to hold a third North Korea-US leaders' summit on the condition of finding solutions we could mutually accept, then we do have a willingness to give it one more try," Mr Kim added.

"We will wait with patience until the end of the year for the United States to come up with a courageous decision. But it will clearly be difficult for a good opportunity like last time to come up."

https://www.axios.com/trump-demands-...50f8f6683.html

Trump envoy says it's all or nothing on North Korea's nukes

The man tasked with laying the groundwork for a nuclear deal with North Korea says the U.S. is committed to an all-or-nothing approach in which sanctions relief would only follow complete denuclearization — a demand North Korea has said it will never meet, and one that could put a deal beyond reach.

Between the lines: In the lead-up to the Hanoi summit, U.S. officials seemed to hint at openness to a step-by-step process in which some economic carrots would be available before North Korea gave up its full nuclear stockpiles. The rhetoric has been more hawkish since. Special envoy Steve Biegun denied the position was shifting, but insisted: “We are not going to do denuclearization incrementally.”
    Kim is now to be called 'supreme representative of all the Korean people.'

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-14-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Looks like my low-confidence prediction of NK's dictator winning Nobel Peace prize might not come true.
    In the spirit of "understanding" I have to accept that he can't help it because he was born into it. An "apprenticeship" per say... Too bad he is taking so many innocent souls down with him...