Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Large bird attacks and kills its fallen owner in Florida

  1. #1

    Large bird attacks and kills its fallen owner in Florida

    ALACHUA, Fla. (AP) — A large, flightless bird native to Australia and New Guinea attacked and killed its owner when the man fell on his property in Florida, authorities said Saturday.

    The Alachua County Fire Rescue Department told the Gainesville Sun that a cassowary killed the man Friday on the property near Gainesville, likely using its long claws. The victim, whose name was not released, was apparently breeding the birds, state wildlife officials said.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lar...cL&ocid=HPCDHP

    More about Cassowaries...



    Last edited by ATruepatriot; 04-14-2019 at 08:32 AM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    So a guy has wild and exotic animals one of which is equipped with 4” razor blades afixed to its feet. What could go wrong?
    No - No - No - No
    2016

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    So a guy has wild and exotic animals one of which is equipped with 4” razor blades afixed to its feet. What could go wrong?
    What I find crazy is how aggressive they are. I guess Ostriches can be a bit aggressive too and kick the crap out of you. But nothing like this with aggressiveness. We used to raise Emus and they were mostly gentle friendly and fun ratites.

  5. #4
    The males will defend a 7 Klick territory but the females are larger and meaner . Most attacks are by semi domesticated birds who have been feed by man , truly wild birds will move away from you as they sense your presence . The meat is not very tender but I say eat them anyway and do not try to keep them as pets .
    Do something Danke

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The males will defend a 7 Klick territory but the females are larger and meaner . Most attacks are by semi domesticated birds who have been feed by man , truly wild birds will move away from you as they sense your presence . The meat is not very tender but I say eat them anyway and do not try to keep them as pets .
    Emu is excellent meat. It's actually a red meat and kind of reminds me of Elk in flavor. I really like it and wish it was more readily available. Makes great jerky.

  7. #6
    Cassowaries are similar to emus and stand up to 6 feet tall and weigh up to 130 pounds, with black body feathers and bright blue heads and necks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    What I find crazy is how aggressive they are. I guess Ostriches can be a bit aggressive too and kick the crap out of you. But nothing like this with aggressiveness. We used to raise Emus and they were mostly gentle friendly and fun ratites.
    Yeah, I’ve been in the pen with emu’s but I would still keep an eye on them. I’m assuming the other bird that has killed humans is the ostrich. Been outside their pen and they are pretty aggressive. Most people wouldn’t know it, but zebras can be very aggressive too. Don’t treat them like a pet horse.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    So a guy has wild and exotic animals one of which is equipped with 4” razor blades afixed to its feet. What could go wrong?
    Thank God they can't fly!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I’ve been in the pen with emu’s but I would still keep an eye on them. I’m assuming the other bird that has killed humans is the ostrich. Been outside their pen and they are pretty aggressive. Most people wouldn’t know it, but zebras can be very aggressive too. Don’t treat them like a pet horse.
    Yes, With Emus, sometimes if you move too fast or something weirds them out they will jump and kick. We used to laugh because just an odd colored rock or a small bush blowing through would set them off into the "Emu dance". lol




  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I’ve been in the pen with emu’s but I would still keep an eye on them. I’m assuming the other bird that has killed humans is the ostrich. Been outside their pen and they are pretty aggressive. Most people wouldn’t know it, but zebras can be very aggressive too. Don’t treat them like a pet horse.
    Zebras taste pretty good .
    Do something Danke

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Zebras taste pretty good .
    Had it? I've had Horse and Burro and both are pretty good so I can imagine it would be.

  13. #11
    At the Sydney zoo the keeper said they are required to put on kevlar if they enter the pen with a cassowary.


    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

    "Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

    "China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

    "Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Zebras taste pretty good .
    I've had ostrich- it was OK. Kinda like turkey. And kangaroo- pretty chewy. Tried gator once.


    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

    "Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

    "China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

    "Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I've had ostrich- it was OK. Kinda like turkey. And kangaroo- pretty chewy. Tried gator once.
    I'd like to try Kangaroo. Back in the late 70s early 80s there was a scandal that Jack in the Box was serving Hamburger mixed with Kangaroo. It was BS, While they did receive some Kangaroo meat in their receiving centers they never distributed it out to the stores. Just another rumor without fact.

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Had it? I've had Horse and Burro and both are pretty good so I can imagine it would be.
    Oyarde has eaten about anything with a bit of fur, feathers, or scales.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Oyarde has eaten about anything with a bit of fur, feathers, or scales.
    Actually so have I.... For the most part. And quite a few without fur like bugs and reptiles of all sorts. I think the scariest, but had too, was Howler Monkey when I was in Panama.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Oyarde has eaten about anything with a bit of fur, feathers, or scales.
    Well... Everything I could catch so far...



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Well... Everything I could catch so far...
    I don't recommend iguana. IIRC, Oyarde does not recommend Lion.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't recommend iguana. IIRC, Oyarde does not recommend Lion.
    Haven't had Iguana yet, but have had all kinds of lizards and snakes. Hear they like Iguana down south in Florida and Georgia. But reptiles remind me of a frog leg (chicken/fish) flavor. "Predators" always had an off flavor, tried mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, fox, and badger when I trapped years ago as a kid. These were all seriously only absolute life or death survival fodder at best. But things like lizard, mice, rats, Etc. are all better if you gut them and then grind it all to a paste and add some sage or something to make them taste a little better. Then cook similar to flat bread.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't recommend iguana. IIRC, Oyarde does not recommend Lion.
    You know what gets me? All these people in the cities starving to death while they have a Pigeon over population problem? Really? What is the disconnect with that? lol

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    You know what gets me? All these people in the cities starving to death while they have a Pigeon over population problem? Really? What is the disconnect with that? lol
    Killing and eating them is probably against some city ordinance.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Killing and eating them is probably against some city ordinance.
    I actually looked into it... The pigeons told the masses they have to go apply for social assistance first and the masses complied. Apparently the pigeons are smarter than the masses. lol

    Seriously... It is such a problem that hunting and consuming pigeons has no licensing requirements or bag limits in most urban demographics.

    Even here in my very rural desert southwest demographics there is open season and no license requirements on bagging "Eurasian" Dove because it is considered an invasive species.

    Pure laziness and PETA insanity is behind this...

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    I actually looked into it... The pigeons told the masses they have to go apply for social assistance first and the masses complied. Apparently the pigeons are smarter than the masses. lol

    Seriously... It is such a problem that hunting and consuming pigeons has no licensing requirements or bag limits in most urban demographics.

    Even here in my very rural desert southwest demographics there is open season and no license requirements on bagging "Eurasian" Dove because it is considered an invasive species.

    Pure laziness and PETA insanity is behind this...
    And some people think government is a bigger problem than the people who support it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    "Predators" always had an off flavor,
    I stick with vegetarians.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I stick with vegetarians.
    Lol... And THAT is what they have not fathomed yet. Meat eaters are always going to eat meat and the source will never matter. You eliminate one source they will chase down another until ALL sources are exhausted.

    They know not what they ask for in their ignorance...



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 02:07 PM
  2. Latest bird flu strain 'kills more than a third'
    By I<3Liberty in forum Health Freedom
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM
  3. California Gun Owner Fed up With System Kills Himself
    By AuH20 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 02:31 AM
  4. Dog mourns owner (fallen soldier)
    By aGameOfThrones in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 10:26 PM
  5. Dow has fallen almost 500 points since Obama joke about drone attacks
    By Liberty Star in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •