Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 60

Thread: Texas to require elementary school students to learn how to write in cursive

  1. #1

    Texas to require elementary school students to learn how to write in cursive

    Texas will reintroduce cursive writing to the state curriculum for elementary students beginning in the 2019-2020 school year.
    Second graders will learn how to write cursive letters, and third graders will be expected to "write complete words, thoughts, and answers legibly in cursive writing leaving appropriate spaces between words," according to the updated Texas Education Code. By the time they reach the fourth grade, students will be required to write legibly and complete assignments in cursive.


    The State Board of Education modified the "English Language Arts and Reading" section of Texas’ standard education requirements, known as Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills or TEKS in 2017, reported WCNC. The list of updated curriculum requirements, including the instruction of cursive writing, will be implemented in Texas schools beginning in September 2019.
    Diane Schallert, a professor in the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, compared learning cursive to learning a new language. Schallert, who studies how language and learning coincide, told WCNC that requiring students to learn cursive can help children grow their comprehension skills.
    "With language comprehension, there's this reciprocity between producing and comprehending," Schallert said. "By seeing the letter being formed slowly at your control, you're considering its sound-symbol correspondence."

    More at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-ele...ive-curriculum
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    cool, I think its still a good skill even if not used much anymore. Its worth spending a small amount of time on at least.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

  4. #3
    Good!

    Maybe teach readin' writin' and 'rithmetic too....

  5. #4
    Anyone ever heard of Denilian Handwriting? (I may have spelled that wrong)
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  6. #5
    The term 'cursive' is one I hadn't heard of until about 5 or so years ago.
    It was referred to as 'hand writing' , you learned to print first , then moved on
    to learn hand writing.
    I get they impression that they started using 'cursive' in an attempt to throw a veil of ancient, unnecessary,
    prehistoric aura over it as if it was no longer useful nor needed.
    I'm glad to see Texas taking this stance , reintroducing cursive/hand-writing, while others
    I'm sure can't wait to see 'printing' done away with as well.

    We have google's speech to text, text to speech , and a million little acronyms to take the
    place of sentences, just look around on this site and you can see what's going on.
    Not that tech is all bad, it isn't , but we shouldn't let it take over every aspect of our lives,
    and completely.
    You can just look around on this site as a microcosm of communication today; we have frequent
    posters (good people) that never communicate using complete thoughts and clarity,
    one-sentence folks , folks that you'll never see writing paragraphs or pages, to explain
    their positions, they'll throw out a sentence and assume we can all just guess what
    their position really is or how they came to it.
    Then you've got' posters like me that just go on and on and on and on.........


  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Good!

    Maybe teach readin' writin' and 'rithmetic too....
    In Spanish.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  8. #7
    A sentimental waste of time. They could be spending that time learning math. Even better, they could also drop music class and dedicate that to math as well.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    In Spanish.
    French and Latin were offered when I was in school.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    If a student does not read cursive, the student can not read historical documents.

    Cursive is important to brain development and fine motor coordination. Music has it’s place. It is mathematical at it’s foundation, and students who study music generally do well in other subjects.
    Do something Dodgers.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    If a student does not read cursive, the student can not read historical documents.

    Cursive is important to brain development and fine motor coordination. Music has it’s place. It is mathematical at it’s foundation, and students who study music generally do well in other subjects.
    Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text to view online.

    Cursive is no more important than print for brain development and fine motor coordination.

    Music is less mathematical than hop scotch.

    You want your kids to learn cursive, teach them yourself. Don't waste my kids time by mandating it on the state level out of nostalgia. I learned q basic when I was in school. I don't think that is the programming language my kids should learn.

  13. #11
    On line. Baloney. Kids need direct access to source materials. It’s not nostalgia. Fine motor coordination is necessary to brain development. Cursive handwriting is a necessary skill. Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.

    Kids should be learning a lot more and learning it better than they do. The best thing is to home school.
    Do something Dodgers.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    On line. Baloney. Kids need direct access to source materials. It’s not nostalgia. Fine motor coordination is necessary to brain development. Cursive handwriting is a necessary skill. Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.

    Kids should be learning a lot more and learning it better than they do. The best thing is to home school.
    Totally agree.
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 04-13-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

    RAND 20/20

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text to view online.
    OK. Come on over and I'll show you my grandfather's World War I memoirs.

    What? That's not a document of importance? It is to me and other members of my family. Refusing to teach children cursive is about cutting people off from the past--their own genetic past, the ability to read for themselves thoughts from the past, a direct connection to the people who put pen to paper.

    Maybe you think people should be too busy being productive little drones to have time for all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  16. #14
    Only time I ever write in cursive now is when I have to sign something.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text* to view online.
    .

    Show me any historical document of any importance that once rendered digitally, cannot be changed to whatever the
    revisionists want us to think that original document said.

    * ''normal text'' , as if 'handwriting' is not normal ?

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.
    Then mandate the use of chopsticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump hasn't even been in 6 months, you can't call him a boondoggle President unless he has overseen a military boondoggle for at least a year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    When Donald Trump talks about torture, I don't know what he really believes for sure, but he gets attacked on what he says unjustly by the media and many people here



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    OK. Come on over and I'll show you my grandfather's World War I memoirs.

    What? That's not a document of importance? It is to me and other members of my family. Refusing to teach children cursive is about cutting people off from the past--their own genetic past, the ability to read for themselves thoughts from the past, a direct connection to the people who put pen to paper.

    Maybe you think people should be too busy being productive little drones to have time for all that.
    Do your grandfather a favor and scan his letters and have them automatically converted to print. They could last forever in digital format. There are apps you can get on your phone that can do the same thing.

    There is nothing wrong with productivity. It leads to prosperity.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post

    There is nothing wrong with productivity. It leads to prosperity.
    There is 'nothing wrong' with learning new ways too, but to forsake the old ways in favor of the new is always foolish.

    Study some history............Digitally if it's easier for you.

  22. #19
    There is a reason kids can’t do a lot of things. Fine motor coordination is one of those reasons. It is very important to brain development.

    Cursive writing has been a means of communication in almost very language. Yes, different languages have their own versions of cursive. Just like every language uses a phonetic approach to reading. Old methods are better in a lot of ways. I deal with the public every day and it’s hard when people can’t do simple things because they were deprived of appropriate teaching methods when they were little.
    Do something Dodgers.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    There is a reason kids can’t do a lot of things. Fine motor coordination is one of those reasons. It is very important to brain development.

    Cursive writing has been a means of communication in almost very language. Yes, different languages have their own versions of cursive. Just like every language uses a phonetic approach to reading. Old methods are better in a lot of ways. I deal with the public every day and it’s hard when people can’t do simple things because they were deprived of appropriate teaching methods when they were little.
    How exactly does cursive teach fine motor control any better than writing print?

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    OK. Come on over and I'll show you my grandfather's World War I memoirs.

    What? That's not a document of importance? It is to me and other members of my family. Refusing to teach children cursive is about cutting people off from the past--their own genetic past, the ability to read for themselves thoughts from the past, a direct connection to the people who put pen to paper.

    Maybe you think people should be too busy being productive little drones to have time for all that.
    Exactly.
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

    RAND 20/20

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Do your grandfather a favor and scan his letters and have them automatically converted to print. They could ''last forever in digital format''*. There are apps you can get on your phone that can do the same thing.

    There is nothing wrong with productivity. It leads to prosperity.
    iM not trying to beat up on you grandmastery. you're a good egg for sure......just pointing things out here.


    * ''last forever in digital format''.

    Nothing could go wrong.

    I loved it when cassette tapes came out , they were going to last a million years, turns out
    that a lot of them degrade to illegible garble in couple years, depending on environment.
    Handwritten documents have held up for hundreds and hundreds of years.

    They (old timers) may have unwittingly done everyone a favor by not being subjected to 'foolproof' new-tech.

  26. #23


    Future Kid: What the heck does that even say? What are those strange letters? Are those even letters? Teacher, help.
    Government: Here kid, we have translated it for you in this nice bold font for easy reading:

    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator
    and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it. -Ron Paul

    RAND 20/20

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Cursive is no more important than print for brain development and fine motor coordination.
    I feel as if you are just trolling for fun; but just in case you aren't. Cursive uses and exercises a completely different part of the brain than printing. don't ask me why, it just does. stroke victims have been known to lose all ability to print or speak, but can still write perfectly legible cursive.



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I feel as if you are just trolling for fun; but just in case you aren't. Cursive uses and exercises a completely different part of the brain than printing. don't ask me why, it just does. stroke victims have been known to lose all ability to print or speak, but can still write perfectly legible cursive.
    Exactly.

    Cursive works like the arts & connects the brain, helping people to use both sides of the head & become whole thinkers.
    There is no spoon.

  30. #26
    A lot of these kids need to learn how to print as well. Some people print where you can barely read it.

    When you learn how to write cursive, your ideas flow when you write. I find it much easier to write in cursive than it is for me to print something.

    I also do calligraphy. I would write invitations and reports needed in calligraphy.

    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    iM not trying to beat up on you grandmastery. you're a good egg for sure......just pointing things out here.


    * ''last forever in digital format''.

    Nothing could go wrong.

    I loved it when cassette tapes came out , they were going to last a million years, turns out
    that a lot of them degrade to illegible garble in couple years, depending on environment.
    Handwritten documents have held up for hundreds and hundreds of years.

    They (old timers) may have unwittingly done everyone a favor by not being subjected to 'foolproof' new-tech.
    This should be able to outlast paper.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage

  32. #28
    Admittedly I actually wrote in cursive for most of middle school and high school while everyone else stopped.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    This should be able to outlast paper.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage

    ... any historical document of any importance , once rendered digitally, can be changed to whatever the
    revisionists want us to think that original document said.
    The rendering process is another 'back door' , deep state, pc feature all on its own , as well.

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    This should be able to outlast paper.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
    But will the devices that read it?

    Sony Beta videotape has held up halfway well. Find a working player. Bakelite is durable. Find me a working turntable with the 78 RPM setting. Punch cards last as long as baseball cards. Without a computer interface that reads them, which is more valuable?

    You're just arguing to be arguing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM
  3. Elementary School Bans Students From Touching Each Other
    By DamianTV in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 03:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •