Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas to require elementary school students to learn how to write in cursive

Banned

Blog Entries
    Cursive is a useless artifact of the past.
    It is, and always was a complete and unnecessary waste of time.
    I always resented it, and always refused to write in it.

Kid's time would be better off learning how to type at 40 WPM.

And you don't need to be able to write cursive to read it.

Bunch of old men tut-tutting about the good old days here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Why limit yourself?

My 8yr old can already type at greater than 40wpm and he is looking forward to learning cursive this summer. To each their own....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I was starting think I was the only one here to think this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly.

Cursive works like the arts & connects the brain, helping people to use both sides of the head & become whole thinkers.
    Well, that certainly explains that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Exactly.

Cursive works like the arts & connects the brain, helping people to use both sides of the head & become whole thinkers.
    Similar to the concept that playing a musical instrument helps with this.

Can Playing an Instrument Make You Smarter?:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, and Johann Sebastian Bach – what these three musical virtuosos have in common is that they all hold IQs of 165, and all of them started learning classical musical instruments at an early age. Since these child prodigies, and many more like them, started learning musical instruments early on in their lives, is it safe to infer that learning to play an instrument can make a person smarter? Let us attempt to answer this question.

Studies Backing the Hypothesis

The question that was just posed has been asked for many centuries, and with mankind’s innate desire to whet his curiosity, many experts have conducted studies that attempted to link the learning of musical instruments with a person’s improved IQ. With Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach as evidence, many experts have hosted researches that aimed to prove this hypothesis. And throughout the years of study, it has been concluded – as expected – that learning an instrument indeed helps a person gain a few IQ points. In a research conducted by experts from the University of Zurich, results showed that children and adults who learned how to play musical instruments hiked their IQ points by as much as seven tickers.

According to researcher Lutz Jancke, when an individual learns how to play the instrument, he expands the part of the brain that is associated with hearing, memory, motor skills and audio information: the corpus callosum. As a result, his memory, hearing, and hand coordination becomes markedly improved. As for his young participants, Jancke found that the kids exhibited self-discipline and attentiveness after multiple sessions of musical learning. He says that these factors are vital for the child’s education.

Another study that highlights the relationship of learning a musical instrument with the improvement of cognition is a 2011 research published in the Journal of Advances in Clinical Psychology. The study by Hille et.al. showed that out of its 194 third grade male participants, those who played instruments exhibited higher IQs. The study shows that higher intelligence scores were demonstrated with improved performances in verbal/non-verbal assessments.

https://examinedexistence.com/can-pl...e-you-smarter/

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    iM not trying to beat up on you grandmastery. you're a good egg for sure......just pointing things out here.

* ''last forever in digital format''.

Nothing could go wrong.

I loved it when cassette tapes came out , they were going to last a million years, turns out
    that a lot of them degrade to illegible garble in couple years, depending on environment.
    Handwritten documents have held up for hundreds and hundreds of years.

They (old timers) may have unwittingly done everyone a favor by not being subjected to 'foolproof' new-tech.
    This.

One of the most foolish ideas to come down the pike, and which may ultimately end up undoing mankind, is the ridiculous notion that "digital lasts forever".

100 years ago the primary recording mediums were wax Edison rolls and wire strand recorders.

Not one in a million people even know what those are today, let alone have the equipment and knowledge to extract any information from them.

Paper books, scrolls and pamphlets written thousands of years ago can still be deciphered and read today.

In 2000 years, just try that with these:

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

That's all well and good...until you can no longer talk or write or communicate with other people.

I have had more than one college educated new employee come through that could not string a simple sentence together, nor write legibly.

If people continue to devolve into Idiocracy to the point where we cannot read, write and speak intelligibly to each other, than we've become nothing more than gibbons hooting at each other from the trees.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This.

One of the most foolish ideas to come down the pike, and which may ultimately end up undoing mankind, is the ridiculous notion that "digital lasts forever".

100 years ago the primary recording mediums were wax Edison rolls and wire strand recorders.

Not one in a million people even know what those are today, let alone have the equipment and knowledge to extract any information from them.

Paper books, scrolls and pamphlets written thousands of years ago can still be deciphered and read today.

In 2000 years, just try that with these:

let's argue about the letters while they attack our words and make them mean something else.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Why limit yourself?

My 8yr old can already type at greater than 40wpm and he is looking forward to learning cursive this summer. To each their own....
    I was young and knew everything once.......

'Twas after many decades that I finally realized how dumb I really are...

Exposing kids to as much knowledge as possible is a good thing! I still remember the manufacturing floor at DoAll Inc in the 1960's where I spent many Saturday's as a kid...Today's kids can't do anything of the sort...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Well, that certainly explains that.
    LOL

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Banned

Blog Entries
    It's very hard to actually access old paper data from the 1980's and 1990's. By 2000, paper was dead. Dead as a doornail.
    Microfilm, YAY!

And sorry, writing pretty letters is not equivalent to practicing and playing music. Music truly does help with synaesthesetic synthesis.

Cursive is for old people. People can still hand print, and in general, hand print is more legible.
    Nobody likes reading cursive. Ever submit a resume in cursive?
    Ever fill out a form in cursive? Not if you were born after 1980.
    It is not impressive people can make word with pen, like they couldn't in 1500.
    Cursive is nothing more than an exercise in vanity.
    This curriculum is dumb, Texas size dumb.

Cursive is for pussies.

Now, imagine all my i's dotted with hearts, and then tell me I'm wrong.
    Last edited by UWDude; 04-13-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Similar to the concept that playing a musical instrument helps with this.

Can Playing an Instrument Make You Smarter?:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, and Johann Sebastian Bach – what these three musical virtuosos have in common is that they all hold IQs of 165, and all of them started learning classical musical instruments at an early age. Since these child prodigies, and many more like them, started learning musical instruments early on in their lives, is it safe to infer that learning to play an instrument can make a person smarter? Let us attempt to answer this question.

Studies Backing the Hypothesis

The question that was just posed has been asked for many centuries, and with mankind’s innate desire to whet his curiosity, many experts have conducted studies that attempted to link the learning of musical instruments with a person’s improved IQ. With Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach as evidence, many experts have hosted researches that aimed to prove this hypothesis. And throughout the years of study, it has been concluded – as expected – that learning an instrument indeed helps a person gain a few IQ points. In a research conducted by experts from the University of Zurich, results showed that children and adults who learned how to play musical instruments hiked their IQ points by as much as seven tickers.

According to researcher Lutz Jancke, when an individual learns how to play the instrument, he expands the part of the brain that is associated with hearing, memory, motor skills and audio information: the corpus callosum. As a result, his memory, hearing, and hand coordination becomes markedly improved. As for his young participants, Jancke found that the kids exhibited self-discipline and attentiveness after multiple sessions of musical learning. He says that these factors are vital for the child’s education.

Another study that highlights the relationship of learning a musical instrument with the improvement of cognition is a 2011 research published in the Journal of Advances in Clinical Psychology. The study by Hille et.al. showed that out of its 194 third grade male participants, those who played instruments exhibited higher IQs. The study shows that higher intelligence scores were demonstrated with improved performances in verbal/non-verbal assessments.

https://examinedexistence.com/can-pl...e-you-smarter/
    All arts connect the brain but music is definitely fast. The number one major accepted to Med School is the music major.

Had a friend that tried over & over to get into Med School & couldn't make it. I finally said: "Dude- take some music & see what happens." He took a summer off & took only music classes- went back, aced the medical school thing, and was accepted.
    There is no spoon.

It was no surprise to me that most of my music major classmates made Dean’s List every semester.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

If they could just teach them to write legibly in either that'd be fine with me.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Excuse me?
    #NashvilleStrong

Cursive and various forms of calligraphy are a hot trend right now. There is not a digital font on earth that will ever replace beautiful hand lettering on documents. People get paid a lot of money to do it, too.
    #NashvilleStrong

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oyarde writes in cursive . The rest of you lazy slackers are most likely to be my ditch diggers .
    Do something Danke

It's very hard to actually access old paper data from the 1980's and 1990's. By 2000, paper was dead. Dead as a doornail.
    Microfilm, YAY!

And sorry, writing pretty letters is not equivalent to practicing and playing music. Music truly does help with synaesthesetic synthesis.

Cursive is for old people. People can still hand print, and in general, hand print is more legible.
    Nobody likes reading cursive. Ever submit a resume in cursive?
    Ever fill out a form in cursive? Not if you were born after 1980.
    It is not impressive people can make word with pen, like they couldn't in 1500.
    Cursive is nothing more than an exercise in vanity.
    This curriculum is dumb, Texas size dumb.

Cursive is for pussies.

Now, imagine all my i's dotted with hearts, and then tell me I'm wrong.
    You're wrong.

I was born after 1980 & I'm a blackbelt - I'm no pussy.

I'm also a musician- and cursive is definitely an addition to my brain functions. All of my spelling is in my right hand. I never have to think & I'm 100% accurate in cursive- on the computer, I'm about 95% correct.

Cursive is definitely an art.
    There is no spoon.

Banned

Blog Entries
    You're wrong.

I'm also a musician- and cursive is definitely an addition to my brain functions. All of my spelling is in my right hand. I never have to think & I'm 100% accurate in cursive- on the computer, I'm about 95% correct.

Do you put hearts over your "i"s and "j"s? Or just little bubbles?

All arts connect the brain but music is definitely fast. The number one major accepted to Med School is the music major.

Had a friend that tried over & over to get into Med School & couldn't make it. I finally said: "Dude- take some music & see what happens." He took a summer off & took only music classes- went back, aced the medical school thing, and was accepted.
    I absolutely believe it. I think it has helped me. I think playing chess can also help quite a bit with this. I think they greatly improve not only memory but the ability to think ahead, to reason outside the box, and "improvise".
    Last edited by ATruepatriot; 04-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.

You're wrong.

Good thing spell check is 100% accurate, well 99.99%.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Good thing spell check is 100% accurate, well 99.99%.
    True. When it substitutes the wrong word in 80% of sentences, there's a 99.99% chance the wrong word will be spelled right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Their's know thing wring with there spell cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I wonder why web browsers haven't implemented grammar checkers. My email client and word processor have.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    I wonder why web browsers haven't implemented grammar checkers. My email client and word processor have.
    I'm thankful that not all of your generation relies on 'puters to set right their inadequacies...

Kids that can't jump between fractional inches, decimal inches and silly-meters in their head are only suitable for sanding and floor sweeping in my shop. And........ if they can't converse in complete, coherent sentences then they're not even suitable for those lowly positions.

Plastic boxes with silicone brains are handy, they even have a place in real life, but that place is in addition to functional humans and not to make the incompetent appear competent.

Handwriting is distinct and unique to the writer. I would never take individual expression away from anyone.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Yah- spelt chicks R kool- spacely there nose.
    There is no spoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1555550418547.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	6371
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast