Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudan: Military Coup | President Bashir Omar Flees | 100+ Arrests Overnight

Opposition protesters rejected renewed dialogue with the Sudanese military on June 5, just a day after the military reversed course and reached out to civilians following a violent military crackdown and suspension of talks, Reuters reported June 6. The Sudan Tribune meanwhile reported June 5 that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates called for dialogue between the various sides while U.S. and Saudi officials discussed Sudan; various Western nations also called for a transition to civilian rule.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...newed-dialogue
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has begun crisis mediation talks between Sudan's Transitional Military Council and members of the country's civilian opposition in Khartoum following the recent massacre of protesters, Reuters reported June 7.

The United Nations has reportedly evacuated all nonessential staff and dependents of international staff in the country, underscoring how precarious the situation has become.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...m-crisis-talks

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two Sudanese opposition leaders were arrested shortly after meeting with Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, Reuters reported June 8, citing other protest leaders.

Abiy met separately with Sudan's military rulers and civilian opposition during a visit to Sudan on June 7. Opposition leaders called the arrests a rejection of Abiy's effort to mediate an end to a crisis threatening a transition to democracy following the overthrow in April of President Omar al Bashir.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ters-mediation

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A campaign of civil disobedience to demand civilian rule left the streets of Sudan's capital Khartoum largely deserted as the working week began on Sunday, while a 20-year-old man was shot dead in Omdurman, witnesses and opposition medics said.

Protesters did take to the streets in several neighborhoods of Khartoum on Sunday amid heavy security. Security forces fired shots into the air and used tear gas to disperse protesters in Khartoum North, witnesses said.
    Elsewhere in the capital, few pedestrians or vehicles could be seen. Public transport was barely functioning and most commercial banks, private companies and markets were shut, though some state banks and public utility offices were open.

At Khartoum airport, where few flights were operating, travelers crowded the departure hall. Most travel agencies were closed because of an internet outage, and ticket prices soared.
    However, the state news agency SUNA said the airport was "operating normally" and reported "complete attendance of employees in different airport units".
    Kabbashi told Sky News Arabia that "life has not been affected much by the disobedience declared today".
    But later on Sunday, the head of the TMC security committee told SUNA that the DFCF was responsible for "unfortunate events" that he said had been caused by "the irrational practices of the so-called neighborhood resistance committees, which use children and force them to close roads and erect barricades in flagrant violation of the law".
    He said "organized groups paid by certain parties" had attacked police buildings and checkpoints, seeking to "obtain weapons and transfer their battles against the armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces into the capital and the big cities".
    He said the TMC would reinforce security to "restore normal life", facilitate movement and guard strategic facilities.

In Omdurman, across the Nile from Khartoum, 20-year-old Ayman Osama died after being shot in the chest at a road barricade, the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said on social media, accusing a paramilitary force of killing him. The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) had no immediate comment.

Also on Sunday, banking expert Mohamed Ahmed Bushra said he had turned down an offer from the TMC to become deputy governor of the central bank.
    He told Reuters that current conditions and the failure to form a transitional civilian government made it difficult for the central bank to implement measures to address Sudan's economic crisis.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/civil-disobed...110605881.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A civil disobedience campaign called by the Sudanese Professionals Association, a leading group in the country's opposition movement, is substantially affecting business operations in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum and its twin city of Omdurman, Al-Jazeera reported June 10. The ruling Transitional Military Council in response has deployed significant security forces, killing at least four protesters, and has extended an internet shutdown in the capital. Public transportation operated on a reduced schedule, and roads, blocked by protesters and security forces alike, were largely empty. Following the crackdown on the main protest site at the army headquarters a week ago, opposition groups and protesters are adopting a more underground posture to avoid a violent crackdown, The New York Times reported June 9,

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ent-opposition

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A top US diplomat will head to Sudan this week to urge an end to a bloody crackdown on protesters, Washington said Monday, as a nationwide civil disobedience campaign challenged the African country's ruling military council.Tibor Nagy, the US assistant secretary of state for African affairs, plans to meet both members of the military leadership and protest leaders in Khartoum, the State Department said.
    He is to leave on the trip on Wednesday and also visit Ethiopia to discuss the Sudan crisis with the regional power as well as the African Union.
    "He will call for a cessation of attacks against civilians and urge parties to work toward creating an enabling environment" for talks to resume, the State Department statement said.

Late Monday the military council said several members of regular security forces had been arrested in connection with the killings, state media reported, adding that the council said those arrested would face justice.

A Sudanese rebel leader, Yasir Arman, who had arrived in Khartoum late last month to take part in the talks said Monday he and two comrades had been forcibly deported from Sudan to neighbouring South Sudan.
    "I was deported against my will... I have been deported from my country," he told an AFP reporter at a hotel after arriving in South Sudan's capital Juba.
    Arman said on Twitter he had been deported by "military helicopter".
    "I was not aware of where they were taking me. I asked them many times," Arman added, saying he and his comrades, Ismail Jalab and Mubarak Ardol, had been tied up for their flight.
    Arman was arrested on June 5. Jalab and Ardol were detained from their residences after meeting Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed in Khartoum on Friday for talks aimed at reviving the negotiations between Sudan's rulers and protesters.
    Ahmed's office tweeted that the Ethiopian leader had also met on Friday with the head of Sudan's military council Abdel Fattah Burhan to pursue "mediation progress".
    The alleged deportations came as digital rights group Netblocks reported "a near-total blackout" of internet coverage in Sudan for part of Monday.
    Hours later at least some internet access had been restored, with several hotels and residents confirming they were able to go online again.
    But vehicles manned by heavily armed units of the feared Rapid Support Forces (RSF) loyal to the military council patrolled Khartoum, carrying out orders from the ruling generals to bring "life to normal" after protesters had set up roadblocks across many areas of the capital.
    The RSF has been accused by witnesses of taking part in the killings last week during the clearing of the weeks-long sit-in outside the army headquarters.
    The generals have blamed protesters for a deterioration in security in Khartoum and across the country.
    They announced that security forces on the streets would be boosted after four people were killed in clashes on Sunday -- two in Khartoum and two in Omdurman, just across the Nile river.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sudan-civil-d...134321631.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Guy Elster @guyelster
    Sudan doctors say dozens of people raped during sit-in attack
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...doctors-report

Guy Elster @guyelster
    BREAKING Sudan's protesters agree to end general strike: Ethiopia PM envoy

Guy Elster
    BREAKING Militiamen killed nine people in a Darfur village: doctors committee linked to Sudan's opposition

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    According to Sky News, after investigators launched a probe for money laundering into ousted president Omar al Bashir's regime, they found large sums of foreign currency at his home. Specifically, military intelligence found cash worth 6 million euros stuffed in suitcases, as well as 351,000 US dollars. They also uncovered five million Sudanese pounds (£80,000).

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...nese-president
    Ya , when I leave for good I always leave 6 million Euro and 351K in cash laying around at the old place for military intel to have .
    Do something Danke

In Sudan you can still get a pack of Marlboro for 3.30 , a beer for 1.45 , a coke for .41 and a gallon of gas for 1.25 . So 6 Million Euro is a $#@!load of money
    Do something Danke

Sudan's ex-president Omar al-Bashir was charged with corruption-related offences on Sunday, as he appeared in public for the first time since he was overthrown and detained in April.Looking much the same as prior to his removal by the military, he was driven to the prosecutor's office in Khartoum.
    He was charged with illicit possession of foreign currency and accepting gifts in an unofficial manner, prosecutor Alaa al-Din Abdallah told media, adding that Bashir would be given the chance to respond to the accusations.
    His trial will be a test of how serious the country's transitional military council is about trying to erase the legacy of his autocratic 30-year rule, marked by widespread violence, economic collapse and the secession of South Sudan.
    Bashir was charged last month with incitement and involvement in the killing of protesters, and prosecutors also want him questioned over suspected money laundering and terrorism financing.
    Sudan's chief prosecutor said on Saturday that 41 former officials from Bashir's administration were being investigated for suspected graft.

Talks on a power-sharing deal have collapsed, and tensions soared on June 3 when security forces stormed a protest camp in Khartoum being maintained as a way to press military rulers to hand over power.
    Protesters put the number of dead from the incursion at 128, and the health ministry at 61.
    Military investigators on Saturday said that government officers of various ranks were found to have been responsible for the dispersal of the camp without approval.
    Addressing supporters at the presidential palace, the deputy head of the military council said on Sunday it was ready to accept nominees for top government positions proposed by the coalition.
    "We are actually not in dispute and we are partners in this glorious revolution," General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo said. "They say a technocratic government and we are ready".

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-sudans-bash...151109222.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sudan's ruling military council said on Sunday that Ethiopia and the African Union needed to unify their efforts to mediate between the council and an opposition coalition on the structure of the country's transitional government.The generals and the opposition coalition have been wrangling for weeks over what form Sudan's transitional government should take after the military deposed long-time president Omar al-Bashir on April 11.
    Both Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and the African Union (AU) have been trying to mediate between the sides.
    The council's spokesman, Lieutenant General Shams El Din Kabbashi, said on Sunday the council had rejected Ethiopia's proposal, which the opposition coalition agreed to on Saturday, but had agreed in principle to the AU's plan.
    "The African Union's initiative came first," said Kabbashi, adding that the council had not studied the Ethiopian initiative, which he described as unilateral.
    A draft of the Ethiopian proposal seen by Reuters suggested that a ruling sovereign council would be made up of seven civilians and seven members of the military, with one additional seat reserved for an impartial individual.
    Details of the AU proposal were not immediately known.
    "We asked the mediators to unite their efforts and submit a joint paper as soon as possible to return the parties to negotiations," Kabbashi said at a news conference at the presidential palace.

Yasser al-Atta, a member of the military council, said: "The president (of the military council) clarified that he gave the mediators until tomorrow to present the joint vision."
    "We do not accept dictations from any country," Atta added. "Saudi Arabia and the UAE have not and will not dictate political or economic conditions."
    The two oil-rich Gulf countries between them pledged $3 billion in financial and material support to Sudan in late April.

The makeup of the sovereign council was the main outstanding sticking point between the two sides before the talks collapsed. The military council canceled all agreements it had reached with the coalition after the sit-in's disperal.
    "The reality has changed, and calls for bringing other political forces, together with the Forces for Freedom and Change, into government," Atta said on Sunday.
    Separately, Atta said the military council had not yet been notified of a court ruling a lawyer said was issued on Sunday ordering telecoms operator Zain Sudan to restore internet services. Internet access has been restricted since the security forces broke up the protest sit-in on June 3.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ethiopian-afr...180930147.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), a leading group in the country's opposition movement, said that two of its leaders were arrested after the largest nationwide protests in Sudan in nearly a month occurred the weekend of June 29-30, AP reported July 2. The SPA and others in the Sudanese opposition movement turned out, calling for the Transitional Military Council to cede power to a civilian government, something they have demanded for months. The SPA called for another surge of protests on July 13 and another civil disobedience campaign and nationwide strike on July 14, AFP reported July 2. The council meanwhile accused the SPA and the rest of the opposition of instigating violence during the weekend protests.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...n-set-mid-july

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The military and the opposition, Sudan’s main rival groups since the long-term president was ousted in April, reached on Friday a power-sharing agreement that could stop months of violence in the African oil producer.
    The army and the opposition agreed to create “a sovereign council by rotation between the military and civilians for a period of three years or slightly more,” Mohamed Hassan Lebatt, mediator for the African Union (AU), said on Friday.
    Under the power-sharing agreement, the military will hold the presidency for the first 18 months, and then an administration run by civilians will take over for the remaining 18 months.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...ring-Deal.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan’s Transitional Military Council announced on Thursday that a coup attempt had been thwarted in the country.

“A coup attempt has been thwarted,” the announcement aired by the Sudanese television said.

No further details or the names of those who tried to carry out the coup were provided.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/coup-attemp...litary-rulers/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's ruling Transitional Military Council and the opposition alliance have postponed a meeting to officially sign an agreement on the country's transitional process, Xinhua reported July 15.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...e-meeting-sign

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's Transitional Military Council and the opposition alliance have signed an official agreement to outline the country's transitional process following the ouster of longtime President Omar al Bashir, The Guardian reported July 17.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...t-transitional

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Negotiations between Sudan's Transitional Military Council and the opposition alliance have not yet resulted in a "constitutional declaration," although a signing of the deal had been expected to take place July 19, Al Jazeera reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...osition-falter

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's army chief was among several people arrested in a coup plot, the country's military said Wednesday, shortly after reports emerged of at least a dozen high-ranking army officers and Islamists being taken into custody in the conspiracy.

Late Wednesday, a brief statement from the military said the county's chief-of-staff, Gen. Hashem Abdel-Muttalib Babakr, was among those arrested over the alleged plot. The statement said the plot aimed to sabotage the power-sharing deal between the military council and the protest movement.
    Babakr was appointed chief-of-staff just days after al-Bashir's ouster following months of street protests against the president's 30-year rule. Since April, Babakr had appeared loyal to Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, the head of the ruling military council, and only last week visited Egypt with a top-level Sudanese delegation.
    Earlier Wednesday, two military officials told The Associated Press that others among those newly arrested were officers working for Sudan's military and the national intelligence and security services.
    The arrests all took place this week and several Islamists, including a former minister, loyal to al-Bashir were also arrested over the same plot, the officials said. They refused to reveal further details and spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to talk to the media.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sudan-officia...132941722.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sudanese generals and protest leaders, who signed a power-sharing agreement, arrived in neighbouring South Sudan Saturday for talks with at least one rebel group, a Sudanese official said.Arriving at the airport in the South Sudanese capital Juba, General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, the deputy chief of Sudan's ruling military council, told reporters he would be holding talks with Abdelaziz al-Hilu, a South Kordofan state rebel leader, among others.
    "We are coming to Juba to meet President Salva Kiir to update him on the progress of the implementation of the peace talks and to have talks with Sudan opposition groups including meeting Abdelaziz al-Hilu, so that we see on how we can implement the recent peace agreement we signed in Khartoum," he said.
    An AFP journalist at the presidential palace in Juba saw Malik Agar, a Blue Nile state rebel leader, enter a room earmarked for the talks.
    Protest leaders and their rebel partners on Thursday agreed to end their differences over the power-sharing deal signed with Sudan's military rulers earlier this month, vowing to work jointly for peace.
    The umbrella protest movement on July 17 signed the power-sharing accord with Sudan's generals, which provides for a transitional civilian administration following the ouster of longtime dictator Omar al-Bashir.

The protest leaders and generals are still to sign a "Constitutional Declaration" dealing with outstanding issues -- including justice for demonstrators killed during months of protests.
    The rebel groups had demanded that the document call on the new government to make peace negotiations a top priority.
    Once a peace deal is finalised, sources said the rebel groups want their representatives to be part of the transitional government.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sudan-general...172902151.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's Transitional Military Council and the opposition alliance have reached an agreement on the contents of a constitutional declaration that was officially signed Aug. 4, Al Jazeera reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...constitutional

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's main opposition coalition and the ruling military council on Saturday signed a final power-sharing deal that paves the way for a transitional government, and eventually elections, following the overthrow of long-time leader Omar al-Bashir.Tens of thousands of people of all ages took to the streets of the capital Khartoum in celebration, with many heading toward the newly renamed Freedom Square, once the site of many of Bashir’s rallies.

The full make-up of a new sovereign council, which will run Sudan during a three-year transitional period leading up to elections, will be announced on Aug. 18.
    But TMC spokesman Shams El Din Kabbashi told Sky News that Burhan, Hemedti, and Lieutenant General Yasser Al-Atta were among those selected.
    Under Saturday's accord, the council will have five members each from the two sides plus a civilian agreed by both. It will name Sudan's new premier based on a nomination by the FFC.
    The agreement also provides for a 300-member legislative assembly to serve during the transitional period, and a cabinet of technocrats.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sudans-opposi...120549516.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Sudanese court on Saturday charged ousted president Omar al-Bashir, on trial for corruption, with illegal acquisition and use of foreign funds, offences which could put him behind bars for a decade.Judge Al-Sadiq Abdelrahman said at the third session of Bashir's trial that foreign funds of multiple currencies were found at his home.
    Authorities had "seized 6.9 million euros, $351,770 and 5.7 million Sudanese pounds at (Bashir's) home which he acquired and used illegally," the judge said.
    Bashir, wearing a traditional white gown and headdress and seated in a metal cage, admitted to receiving the equivalent of $25 million from Saudi royals.
    "My office manager... received a call from the office of Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman saying he has a 'message' that will be sent on a private jet," Bashir said during the trial.
    "We were told that the crown prince did not want his name to appear (linked to the transaction)... and if the funds were deposited with Sudan's bank or the finance ministry, the source would have to be identified," he said.
    The former president, 75, also said that "the funds were not used for his own private interest but as donations".
    The judge said illegal acquisition of wealth was punishable by up to 10 years in jail, while illicit use of foreign funds carried up to three years.
    An investigator had previously told the court that Bashir received $90 million in cash from Saudi royals.
    Hashem Abu Bakr, Bashir's defence lawyer, said Saturday his client was "not guilty" and that witnesses would be brought to court.
    The trial was adjourned until September 7, said an AFP correspondent who attended the session.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sudan-court-c...105151584.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sudan's new prime minister, Abdalla Hamdok, has announced the formation of a government after naming 18 ministers for his new Cabinet, AP reported Sept. 5. He also said the country would prioritize reducing military spending and called on the United States to remove Sudan from its list of state sponsors of terrorism.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...new-government

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12