Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Owners Happier Than Cat Owners — Because Dog Owners Are Conservative

Dog Owners Happier Than Cat Owners — Because Dog Owners Are Conservative

It could become a pet peeve of feline-fanatic pet owners, but a recent survey found that people with dogs are considerably happier than those with cats. And it’s not because dogs are always there for you and cats, well, want you there for them — when it’s convenient.
    The data comes from the 2018 General Social Survey, which “for the first time included a battery of questions on pet ownership,” reports the Washington Post. Not only did it find that six in 10 households include at least one pet, but also that dog “owners are about twice as likely as cat owners to say they’re very happy, with people owning both falling somewhere in between,” the Post also informs.
    Perhaps this is no surprise given that only one of these creatures is known as “man’s best friend.” But, no, acquiring a really big, happy dog that’s inclined to eat your cat isn’t the solution (relax, cat lovers, that’s a joke). As the Post points out, correlation doesn’t mean causation.
    Apropos to this, the paper writes that the “General Social Survey data show that dog owners, for instance, are more likely to be married and own their own homes than cat owners, both factors known to affect happiness and life satisfaction.” Moreover, “Dog owners tended to be more agreeable, more extroverted and less neurotic than cat owners.”
    Delving deeper, however, we should ask: Are these just correlations, too? For a simple point is missed here:
    Conservatives are more likely to own dogs, whereas liberals tend toward cats, as the linked sources explain.
    And conservatives are happier than liberals.

Study after study has borne out the last point. Even leftists acknowledge it, with the New York Times’ Arthur C. Brooks being a good example. After an opening paragraph in which he repeats some negative (and sometimes debunked) stereotypes about rightists, he admits, “Scholars on both the left and right have studied this question extensively, and have reached a consensus that it is conservatives who possess the happiness edge.... This pattern has persisted for decades. The question isn’t whether this is true, but why.”
    This helps explain much. Yes, dog owners are more likely to be married — but note that conservatives are more likely to be dog owners and to be married. Dog owners are more likely to own their homes, but conservatives are also. Dog owners are “more agreeable, more extroverted and less neurotic”; so are conservatives. Ding, ding — it’s light-bulb time.
    The Washington Post also mentions what could be other causal reasons for dog owners’ greater happiness, writing that a “2013 study found … that dog owners are more likely to engage in outdoor physical activity than people who don’t own dogs, with obvious benefits for health and happiness.”
    Yet there could be an ideological link here, too, with some studies indicating that conservatives exercise more.
    The Post also writes, “Research also has shown that dog owners are more likely than other folks to form friendships with people in their neighborhoods on the basis of the random encounters that happen when they’re out walking their pets.”
    Of course, walking a pet or not, the likelihood of friendship formation is increased if you’re more agreeable and outgoing — which conservatives are.
    Dog owners are also “more likely to seek comfort from their pet in times of stress, more likely to play with their pet, and more likely to consider their pet a member of their family,” the paper informs. Although a study showed that conservatives are more likely to hug their kids (though libs hold the edge on hugging trees) — which may also mean they’re more apt to show their pets attention as well — I can’t say there’s an ideological link here.
    Yet there’s more to this story still: Is “conservatism,” in a way, just a correlation itself? Is there a deeper reason the people we in our time call conservatives are happier?
    Note how studies have shown that conservatives are significantly more religious than liberals are. (This should be obvious, though; it’s not conservatives who say Christians “should be eradicated.”)
    And research also tells us that religious people are happier — as well as better adjusted in general.
    Related to this is a study showing that liberals are less likely to know “the meaning of life,” which, of course, tells us they’re more likely to believe life is meaningless. This is no surprise. What could yield a greater sense of meaninglessness than atheism’s corollary that, as famed atheist Richard Dawkins put it, people “are machines built by DNA whose purpose is to make more copies of the same DNA” (though one should wonder how anything in a random, accidental universe could have anything but a subjective “purpose”). People are, you see, mere “objects that perceive,” to quote botanist Lawrence Trevanion. Fun guys.
    So, no, buying a cat won’t make it Prozac or pistol-to-the-head time. But buying into godlessness and its demon child liberalism just may.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...e-conservative
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a conservative and I prefer cats over dogs.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'm a conservative and I prefer cats over dogs.
    All trends have exceptions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Is there a deeper reason the people we in our time call conservatives are happier?
    Its because conservatives are smarter, more successful, better looking, just overall better at life than liberals
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Its because conservatives are smarter, more successful, better looking, just overall better at life than liberals
    True.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pets are OK but I have a sidekick .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Pets are OK but I have a sidekick .
    Is @Danke more like a cat or a dog?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Scooter is the most "dog like" cat I have known..

But he had Cassie as a Surrogate mom.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Scooter is the most "dog like" cat I have known..

But he had Cassie as a Surrogate mom.

I've known a cat like that, it belonged to a family friend when I was a child, I don't know if it was raised by a dog or not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I've known a cat like that, it belonged to a family friend when I was a child, I don't know if it was raised by a dog or not.
    House rule,, everyone gets along..
    Dogs cats and visitors.

Current occupancy 5 dogs,4 cats 3birds and 4 humans.

but it is truely impressive to watch a clumsy goofy Rott,,clean fleas off a small kitten.. Crushing them surgically without harming the kitten at all. makes a bloody slimy mess of the cat.. but they are still friends.

Edit,,
    House has a Baby Fur Baby,, 1 week?,, Dropper fed tiny kitten. a new development,,and no name yet.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 04-14-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Plus conservatives get more pussy.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Plus conservatives get more pussy.
    It's funny in my day, a lot of people wanted to hook up with a liberal free spiritted type chick. Now liberals women have gone so far off the deep end that men now prefer the more conservative type.

Dog Owners Happier Than Cat Owners — Because Dog Owners Are Conservative
    Visitors to this site might think that conservatives are not very happy.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

House rule,, everyone gets along..
    Dogs cats and visitors.
    The first day we brought home our cat and he met the dogs.

He survived and managed to harass them for years to come.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Visitors to this site might think that conservatives are not very happy.
    Think how much more miserable liberals are.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The first day we brought home our cat and he met the dogs.

He survived and managed to harass them for years to come.
    Cats and dogs living together

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    It's funny in my day, a lot of people wanted to hook up with a liberal free spiritted type chick. Now liberals women have gone so far off the deep end that men now prefer the more conservative type.
    Well conservative women aren't exactly the hook up type. You pretty much have to rely on liberal women for that.

Calvin Coolidge

Well conservative women aren't exactly the hook up type. You pretty much have to rely on liberal women for that.
    People just have no desire to hook up with this:

Those that have both cats and dogs are conflicted , twisted people, they are always in
    flux, never knowing whether they are living happy or less happy lives.

Think how much more miserable liberals are.
    Liberals are only happy when their enemy suffers. Libertarians are happy seeing everyone enjoying their freedom and respecting reasonable differences of other peoples, which is far more contagious.

The Liberals paradigm is based on Oppressor vs Oppressed, and if they have no victim, they have no Paradigm by which to brainwash people with.

On the Dog note, I prefer dogs. They motivate me and care much more about me than any cat ever has.

Dogs rule and cats drool!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I consider myself a libertarian pet person that believes in open borders. I think animals that I coexist with should be able to chit wherever they want and go wherever they want.

Dogs, and even cats, are much more civilized than an Injun.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-11-2019 at 06:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am not a rapist but there are some people I would never consider to rape if I was a rapist. I wouldn't rape someone who I wasn't attracted to, someone who could probably take me down and pound the hell out of me etc etc.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Dogs, and even cats, are much more civilized than an Injun.
    So what does having an Injun for a friend say about you?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Say Hi.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

buying into godlessness and its demon child liberalism just may.
    Yea cats aren't very good at raising their people.

So if I raise a Feral Kitten on Rottweiler Milk,,,

Is it Conservative or Liberal?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

So if I raise a Feral Kitten on Rottweiler Milk,,,

Is it Conservative or Liberal?
    It'll still come out libertarian as hell. Dogs are the statists, authoritarians and socialists of the animal kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

Say Hi.

My brother found a newborn baby cat similar to this abandoned a few months back when he was renovating a house.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 04-15-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Calvin Coolidge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast