Thread: Florida Will Generously Allow Homeowners to Garden in Their Own Yards

Florida Will Generously Allow Homeowners to Garden in Their Own Yards

If you live in Florida and want the freedom to plant food on your own property, I have great news for you.

Late last month, the Florida Senate affirmed the right of self-reliant people statewide to grow vegetable gardens in their front yards.

Here are some details on the bill from the Miami Herald:

The 40-member Senate vote was 35-5.

Sen. Rob Bradley’s SB 82 prohibits a county or municipality from regulating vegetable gardens on residential properties, voiding any current regulations regarding the produce patches.

Local governments, however, can still adopt a local ordinance or regulation that doesn’t specifically target vegetable gardens, like regulating water during drought conditions, limiting fertilizer use or controlling invasive species.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/fl...eir-own-yards/

Bet there are perpetual drought conditions coming... I think they are still going to have to abide by HOA contracts though.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need a law to protect our right to grow vegetables, let that sink in. Does this mean a cop can't shoot you because of illegal green beans?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We need a law to protect our right to grow vegetables, let that sink in. Does this mean a cop can't shoot you because of illegal green beans?
    YES
    BUT TAKE CARE THE ANGLE OF INCIDENT WHEN TRAVERSING ONE OF THEIR GD ROADS-U MIGHT GET SHOT IN THE BACK IN THE TOILET
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

They can arrest you for drunk driving even in your own driveway with no proof you were driving, Your front yard is wrongfully assumed to be public property. When I was a kid there were many who grew food gardens in their front yard. Then society put absolute priority on aesthetics over practicality and started outlawing these and more. I really like to see this for a more important reason than just gardening. Most local municipalities have illegally designated front yards and "setbacks" as public property. A law like this helps get back some of that private designation and rights back. If they want to declare your front yard as public property, then they should also assume the tax liability for that portion of your property. Until then you should be able to do what you like in your own front yard.

Hey, this is what a political "win" looks like. Just vote harder next election cycle and maybe we can get a few more of these.

ETA sarcasm emoji. Didn't think it was necessary with the scare quotes, but to be safe...
    Last edited by CCTelander; 04-09-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Hey, this is what a political "win" looks like. Just vote harder next election cycle and maybe we can get a few more of these.
    Unfortunately they left a couple loopholes that can be wrongfully applied to still oppress this...

"Local governments, however, can still adopt a local ordinance or regulation that doesn’t specifically target vegetable gardens, like regulating water during drought conditions, limiting fertilizer use or controlling invasive species."

You can bet they will claim one of these if they choose to shut you down. Green Beans will become "invasive species" and there will be a perpetual drought condition.

Local government over-ridden by bigger government makes this an ambigious victory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Local government over-ridden by bigger government makes this an ambigious victory for me.
    Same here. Unfortunately, once in awhile having a referee throw a flag and make the right call can be welcome because it was actually needed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about covenant controlled HOA's? If there were contracts drawn and agreed upon, who has the right to disregard them?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What about covenant controlled HOA's? If there were contracts drawn and agreed upon, who has the right to disregard them?
    I wondered about that in the OP. I think they are SOL because a contract is a contract and it is private.

That ground was ceded long ago.

When it becomes accepted that government can tell you how much gas your car can burn or how strong your roof must be, it's only a matter of time before they are dictating the size and placement of your vegetable garden or how much water you toilet can have.

Besides, it all belongs to government anyway.

We're just serfs squatting on government land.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That ground was ceded long ago.

When it becomes accepted that government can tell you how much gas your car can burn or how strong your roof must be, it's only a matter of time before they are dictating the size and placement of your vegetable garden or how much water you toilet can have.

Besides, it all belongs to government anyway.

We're just serfs squatting on government land.
    Unfortunately that is a fact, and getting worse by the day.