Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Derby 2019

Kentucky Derby 2019

Anyone into horse racing? I've always had a side interest and once went to a track, but never to Churchill Downs.

I can't think of any other sport where the event is so short. Thought about going, but then you pay all that money for 2 minutes. Guess though, you can watch some preliminary races.

It looks like the top qualifying horse in points gets the inside rail. You'd hate to be on the outside and have to move all the way in.

My pick is always the horse with the coolest name. Lotta good ones here.

Should liberty root for the horse called Tax? Or should that horse be named No Tax?

2019 Kentucky Derby odds

Horse Odds

Game Winner 5-1
    Maximum Security 5-1
    Improbable 7-1
    Omaha Beach 8-1
    Anothertwistafate 20-1
    Code of Honor 20-1
    Instagrand 20-1
    Long Range Toddy 20-1
    Roadster 20-1
    Plus Que Parfait 25-1
    Spinoff 25-1
    War of Will 25-1
    Bourbon War 30-1
    By My Standards 30-1
    Country House 30-1
    Cutting Humor 30-1
    Galilean 30-1
    Haikal 30-1
    Mucho Gusto 30-1
    Tacitus 30-1
    Bodeexpress 40-1
    Somelikeithotbrown 40-1
    Alwayssmining 50-1
    Vekoma 50-1
    Win Win Win 50-1
    Gray Magician 60-1
    Signalman 60-1
    Dream Maker 80-1
    Nolo Contesto 80-1
    Outshine 80-1
    Sueno 80-1
    So Alive 100-1
    Tax 100-1
    Gray Attempt 200-1
    Final Jeopardy 300-1
    Knicks Go 300-1

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/leaderboard
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 04-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Alright, this looks like a good liberty horse. Market King. The only problem is Market King is way down in the standings.

Market King

Leaderboard rank #35
    Total Points 7.5
    Non-restricted
    Stakes Earnings $75,000

Owner, Baker, Robert C. and Mack, William L.

Trainer, D. Wayne Lukas

Breeder, Flaxman Holdings Limited

Sex, Colt

Color, Bay

Birthplace, Kentucky

Foal Date, Feb 09, 2016

Career Stats

Starts 7
    First 1
    Second 1
    Third 2

Rebel Stakes, Oaklawn Park, 1 1/16 miles, Dirt, March 16, 2019
    Finish 3rd

Maiden Special Weight, Churchill Downs, 7 Furlongs, Dirt, Nov 17, 2018
    Finish 2nd

Maiden Special Weigh, Churchill Downs, 5 Furlongs, Dirt, June 23, 2018
    Finish, 8th

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/market-king

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Anyone into horse racing? I've always had a side interest and once went to a track, but never to Churchill Downs.

I can't think of any other sport where the event is so short. Thought about going, but then you pay all that money for 2 minutes. Guess though, you can watch some preliminary races.
    I've been to the horse track more than a couple times and its ok. But I really enjoy the greyhounds much more. Damn shame how they are eradicating that from the country. I plan on getting back to FL and to the track one more time before its outlawed there next year.

Never have been to a horse racetrack. Did have an interest in a girl and took her up on her offer to go horse back riding. So we drive up to Shot Tower park in Virginia. Her friends, a married couple, show up and unload horses. They are not wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots like I am. They are wearing lycra sports pants and wearing hiking boots. Then they offer me a riding helmet. I decline thinking all is still cool. The wife is blind so these have to be pretty easy horses. Right? Then they explain that the horses we are riding are mountain race horses. The one I'm on doesn't like to follow. Two hours later my ass and thighs are chapped raw. From the seams in my blue jeans. The horse had two speeds. Stop and "Hell's burning your tail." Two minutes ain't nothing. That mountain endurance racing is some heavy $#@!.

Nope. Never been into horse racing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It looks like the top qualifying horse in points gets the inside rail. You'd hate to be on the outside and have to move all the way in.

My pick is always the horse with the coolest name. Lotta good ones here.

Should liberty root for the horse called Tax? Or should that horse be named No Tax?

2019 Kentucky Derby odds

Horse Odds

Game Winner 5-1
    Maximum Security 5-1
    Improbable 7-1
    Omaha Beach 8-1
    Anothertwistafate 20-1
    Code of Honor 20-1
    Instagrand 20-1
    Long Range Toddy 20-1
    Roadster 20-1
    Plus Que Parfait 25-1
    Spinoff 25-1
    War of Will 25-1
    Bourbon War 30-1
    By My Standards 30-1
    Country House 30-1
    Cutting Humor 30-1
    Galilean 30-1
    Haikal 30-1
    Mucho Gusto 30-1
    Tacitus 30-1
    Bodeexpress 40-1
    Somelikeithotbrown 40-1
    Alwayssmining 50-1
    Vekoma 50-1
    Win Win Win 50-1
    Gray Magician 60-1
    Signalman 60-1
    Dream Maker 80-1
    Nolo Contesto 80-1
    Outshine 80-1
    Sueno 80-1
    So Alive 100-1
    Tax 100-1
    Gray Attempt 200-1
    Final Jeopardy 300-1
    Knicks Go 300-1

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/leaderboard
    I usually try to find 15 to 1 horses and bet to place but based on this I would put money to place on all five of the twenty to one horses . Odds are very good one or more will place . Typically I avoid favorites at the Derby all together . They have done well recently but 2/3 of the time they do not . From 1980 to 1999 none won but I did well .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Do something Danke

I have been to the Kentucky Derby once. It was the year Mine that Bird won. We had tickets in the paddock, so that meant standing up all day. It’s a cool place to watch because you get close up views of the horses, and that’s where the celebs watch the race.

Races go on all day. The Derby race doesn’t happen until around 5:00.

I’m not into horse racing, really. I went with a friend one year.
    Do something Dodgers.

Triple Crown Winners in the Kentucky Derby are about as common as Triple Crown winners in baseball:

Year Horse
    1919 Sir Barton
    1930 Gallant Fox
    1935 Omaha
    1937 War Admiral
    1941 Whirlaway
    1943 Count Fleet
    1946 Assault
    1948 Citation
    1973 Secretariat
    1977 Seattle Slew
    1978 Affirmed
    2015 American Pharoah
    2018 Justify

AL Triple Crown

2012 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers 44 139 .330
    1967 Carl Yastrzemski Boston Red Sox 44 121 .326
    1966 Frank Robinson Baltimore Orioles 49 122 .316
    1956 Mickey Mantle New York Yankees 52 130 .353
    1947 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox 32 114 .343
    1942 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox 36 137 .356
    1934 Lou Gehrig New York Yankees 49 165 .363
    1933 Jimmie Foxx Philadelphia Athletics 48 163 .356

NL Triple Crown

YEAR PLAYER TEAM HR RBI BA
    1937 Joe Medwick St. Louis Cardinals 31 154 .374
    1933 Chuck Klein Philadelphia Phillies 28 120 .368
    1925 Rogers Hornsby St. Louis Cardinals 39 143 .403
    1922 Rogers Hornsby St. Louis Cardinals 42 152 .401

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I made some money off Seattle Slew .
    Do something Danke

I had fun seeing fashion choices men should never make and a woman with a hat that looked like Big Bird threw up.
    Do something Dodgers.

Triple Crown Winners in the Kentucky Derby are about as common as Triple Crown winners in baseball:

Year Horse
    1919 Sir Barton
    1930 Gallant Fox
    1935 Omaha
    1937 War Admiral
    1941 Whirlaway
    1943 Count Fleet
    1946 Assault
    1948 Citation
    1973 Secretariat
    1977 Seattle Slew
    1978 Affirmed
    2015 American Pharoah
    2018 Justify

AL Triple Crown

2012 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers 44 139 .330
    1967 Carl Yastrzemski Boston Red Sox 44 121 .326
    1966 Frank Robinson Baltimore Orioles 49 122 .316
    1956 Mickey Mantle New York Yankees 52 130 .353
    1947 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox 32 114 .343
    1942 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox 36 137 .356
    1934 Lou Gehrig New York Yankees 49 165 .363
    1933 Jimmie Foxx Philadelphia Athletics 48 163 .356

NL Triple Crown

YEAR PLAYER TEAM HR RBI BA
    1937 Joe Medwick St. Louis Cardinals 31 154 .374
    1933 Chuck Klein Philadelphia Phillies 28 120 .368
    1925 Rogers Hornsby St. Louis Cardinals 39 143 .403
    1922 Rogers Hornsby St. Louis Cardinals 42 152 .401
    I consider the 1933 Jimmie Foxx season one of the greatest ever . He drove in 165 runs against basically the Ace pitchers of the league on a third place team that finished 79 - 72 . Only 18 American League Pitchers had an ERA under 3.98 . The A's only had one of those , 15 of the other 17 were on The Senators , Tigers , Yankees , Red Sox and Indians and two other teams ( Browns & WhiteSox ) ea had an Ace . This is what he faced ea game in a lineup that included just two other .300 hitters who did not hit with power ( combined only 28 HR's ) so he could easily be pitched around .
    Do something Danke

I don't know a lot about racing. Interference or not?

It seems to seem that Saez isn't going to purposely go outside to impede another horse. I would believe him when he said his horse was slightly spooked. This type of thing with an animal is an X factor. Sure, you are supposed to control your horse, but the expectation is too much. Americans try to control everything, but some things are out of your control.

And I was actually rooting for Country House. He was a 65-1 shot.

I thought the family, trainer, and jockey for Country House were really gracious and humble when they got the overturned call for the win.

Oh well.

It seems to seem that Saez isn't going to purposely go outside to impede another horse. I would believe him when he said his horse was slightly spooked. This type of thing with an animal is an X factor. Sure, you are supposed to control your horse, but the expectation is too much.
    Another reason I always preferred the dogs, no humans to blame, cheat or $#@! it up. Just pure animal drive.

Sorry, wrong video. Try the one here: https://www.cbssports.com/general/ne...-disqualified/

http://www.espn.com/horse-racing/sto...wing-objection

Prat claimed that Maximum Security ducked out in the final turn and forced several horses to steady.

War of Will came perilously close to clipping heels with Maximum Security, which could have caused a chain-reaction accident.

The DQ supposedly cost betters on that horse $9 million.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Oyarde finishes in the green with Code of Honor.
    Do something Danke

So I've watched that clip a couple of times now.

Looks like racing to me...and rubbing is racing, regardless of whether it's horses, cars, boats or what have you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump complained on Twitter that the Kentucky Derby disqualification of horse Maximum Security was the result of political correctness.
    “The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch,” Trump tweeted Sunday.
    “Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby – not even close!”
    The Kentucky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough & tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby – not even close!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 5, 2019
    Trump is right.
    Despite the fact Maximum Security finished first by over a horse length, the powers that be decided to flout their power and overturn the results, handing the win to Country House.
    These days, the raw exercise of power is more desirable for the elite than a fair outcome.
    Watch the end of the Kentucky Derby race for yourself:

Trump isn’t the only one pointing out the bogus political correctness.
    Sports columnist Dan Wolken also ripped into the racing stewards of Churchill Downs, saying that anybody who watched the race knows Maximum Security rightfully won.
    “The history books will say that long shot Country House was the 145th Kentucky Derby winner on Saturday,” Wolken wrote in USA Today.
    “But anyone who watched and remembers the race years from now will know that Country House was little more than the recipient of an egregious decision by the racing stewards at Churchill Downs, who disqualified the horse that finished under the wire first and was much the best running 1-1/4 miles around the famed oval,” adding that Maximum Security was the winning horse.

https://www.infowars.com/trump-is-ri...cky-derby-win/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Maximum Security co-owner Gary West criticized race stewards' disqualification of his horse's Kentucky Derby victory as "egregious" and said he was pondering his next step, including a possible appeal."I think this is the most egregious disqualification in the history of horse racing, and not just because it's our horse," West told The Associated Press by phone Saturday night.

West said his team is exploring options to appeal, starting with the stewards. The owner said stewards told him he can see a replay of the incident on Thursday.
    Kentucky Horse Racing Commission chief steward Barbara Borden said the riders of Long Range Toddy and Country House lodged objections against Maximum Security for interference.
    "We had a lengthy review of the race," Borden said. "We interviewed affected riders. We determined that (Maximum Security) drifted out and impacted the progress of War of Will, in turn interfering with the 18 and 21. Those horses were all affected by the interference."
    Maximum Security was dropped to 17th of 19 horses, placed behind all the horses it was determined that he bothered.
    Borden did not take questions and exited the news briefing to shouts from reporters about a lack of transparency. West said there wasn't much jockey Luis Saez could do to control Maximum Security on a sloppy track.
    "When you're leg weary, you're not going to run straight all the time," he said. "Horses don't either."
    Said Saez, "I never put anybody in danger."
    Trainer Jason Servis agreed with the jockey in the immediate aftermath and added, "He straightened him up right away and I didn't think it affects the outcome of the race."

"If we can't appeal to the stewards," West said, "our other options are the state racing commission. If those don't work, we might go to legal options. ... But we have not seen what they saw."

More at: https://sports.yahoo.com/maximum-sec...7623--spt.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Taken down as the Kentucky Derby winner, Maximum Security is now out of the Preakness.Maximum Security's co-owner said Monday he will not run the horse in the middle jewel of the Triple Crown. The announcement came hours before his appeal of the horse's disqualification as Derby winner was denied by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.
    Gary West told The Associated Press by phone there is ''really no need, not having an opportunity to run for the Triple Crown, to run a horse back in two weeks.''
    The 1 1/8-mile Preakness is May 18 at Pimlico Race Course. Though shorter than the Kentucky Derby, the race requires a quick turnaround. West didn't want to burden his colt with the Triple Crown off the table.
    Maximum Security was scheduled to leave Churchill Downs on Monday and arrive early Tuesday at Monmouth Park, where trainer Jason Servis is based, the New Jersey track said.
    ''The horse will be better off long term with the rest,'' West said. ''He ran a really good and a really hard race on Saturday.
    ''Really, there are a lot of other Grade 1 races the rest of the year for 3-year-olds. So we'll let him gather himself and point to one of the other races. I don't know which one that will be, but it will definitely not be the Preakness.''

The only other Derby disqualification was in 1968, and long after the race. First-place finisher Dancer's Image tested positive for a prohibited medication, and Kentucky racing officials ordered the purse money to be redistributed. Forward Pass got the winner's share. A subsequent court challenge upheld the stewards' decision.
    West has said he realizes the appeals process will take ''months, if not years.'' He remains bothered that his request to view replays with stewards after the race was denied.
    An appeal filed Monday morning was denied later in the day by the KHRC, which stated in a letter to West's attorney that the stewards' decision is not subject to appeal. The commission also denied a request to stay the disqualification ruling pending appeal.
    ''Based on everything that has happened so far, I'm not surprised,'' West told The Associated Press in a phone interview after the appeal was denied. ''We'll file suit in whatever the appropriate court is. I don't know the answer to that, but the lawyers that I have retained will know what the appropriate venue is.''

More at: https://sports.yahoo.com/maximum-sec...5866--rah.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pretty sad. These days owners, citizens, people, lose. Lawyers extract the money. This guys lawyers will make an incredible amount of money.

I would run it in the Preakness .
    Do something Danke

This year's Kentucky Derby winner, Country House, will not race in the Preakness Stakes due to health concerns, according to his trainer.
    The champion horse is currently coughing and his blood profile is not normal, his trainer, Bill Mott, told ABC News. The Preakness Stakes, the second round of the Triple Crown, is set for May 18.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/kentucky-d...opstories.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I thought the family, trainer, and jockey for Country House were really gracious and humble when they got the overturned call for the win.

I didn't know it was the Country House trainer who filed the objection. I thought it was another horse trainer.

In that case, I take my comment back. What a bunch of sore losers.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 05-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Now this is taking someone out of a race.

Kyle Busch. LOL.

"Kyle Busch wrecks Ron Hornaday under caution, gets parked - 2011 WinStar World Casino 350k"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Horse racing requires riders to "stay in their lanes" in part for safety. A pack getting cut off can cause horses to go down and Churchill Downs has been the deadliest track this season for horses- injured horses don't heal very well so are often put down. Riders are injured as well in spills though their deaths are rare.

Of the 25 racetracks that share their casualty counts with the public, only one was more deadly last year than Churchill Downs.

And despite its recent rash of gloomy headlines, it wasn’t Santa Anita.

Only Illinois’ Hawthorne Race Course lost horses at a faster pace than Churchill Downs did in 2018, according to the Jockey Club’s Equine Injury Database.

Over the past three years, only the boutique meet conducted at California’s Sonoma County Fair exceeded Churchill’s race-related mortality rate.

Unlike its Kentucky colleagues at Keeneland and Turfway Park, Churchill Downs does not publicly disclose its racing fatalities, but a spokesman for the track confirmed figures obtained through a public records request of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

Those records show the home of the Kentucky Derby has lost 43 thoroughbreds to racing injuries since 2016, a 2.42 per 1,000-start average that was 50 percent higher than the national average during the same three-year span.

Last year, with 16 fatalities in 5,856 starts, Churchill’s death rate was higher still: 2.73 per 1,000.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Horse racing requires riders to "stay in their lanes" in part for safety. A pack getting cut off can cause horses to go down and Churchill Downs has been the deadliest track this season for horses- injured horses don't heal very well so are often put down. Riders are injured as well in spills though their deaths are rare.
    Then don't race your horse or jockey.

Putting safety above going the fastest, in a race, is one of the more stupid manifestations of the Cult of Safety Uber Alles.

More than anything else, this is what killed NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Do you eat fish? Do you know how long it takes for a fish to die without water. Helluva a way to go, wouldn't you say?

Equine fatality rate down since 2009.

It seems there's a lot of other factors that could really minimize problems:

Catastrophic Injuries in Racehorses

We have discovered that most fatalities due to a skeletal injury are predisposed by horses training or racing with a pre-existing injury

https://www2.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vorl...e-injuries.cfm

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 05-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.

California racetrack injuries or death. Two year period.

Thoroughbred horses (432)
    Quarter Horses (46)

Injuries:

while racing (42%)
    training sessions (39%)
    non-exercise (12%)
    accident (7%)

This is older research, but I saw something more current that matches this. So is something different about thoroughbreds? The spindly looking legs? They race more?

https://ucdavis.pure.elsevier.com/en...-2-year-period

The owners of Maximum Security, who was disqualified after winning the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, are still evaluating their legal options after an appeal of that decision was denied earlier this week.

“We remain convinced that our horse, Maximum Security, was the best horse in the 145th Kentucky Derby and that his decisive win on Saturday, May 4 is clearly and convincingly supported by the actual video of the race,” the Wests said in a statement. “Those same videos underscore why Maximum Security never should have been disqualified.”
    The racing commission, after denying their appeal, told the couple that racing in the Derby was a “privilege.” The Wests said they agree, but that privilege also “comes with an obligation for fair, full and transparent treatment by the Commission and its licensees,” which they say did not happen.
    The Wests have already threatened a lawsuit, and — despite losing their appeal with the commission — seem determined to continue fighting.
    “Faced with Commission’s denial of any recourse, we are left to evaluate our legal options, which we are now doing,” they said in a statement. “We believe that with a just and proper hearing of our case, Maximum Security will be restored as the rightful winner of this year’s Kentucky Derby.”

Luis Saez, Maximum Security’s jockey at the Derby, hired an attorney to defend himself should the commission attempt to discipline him for his disqualification at the Derby, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.
    Saez, along with other jockeys, is expected to meet with racing stewards on Friday to review film of the race, his attorney Ann Oldfather told the Courier-Journal. Following that meeting, Saez could be fined or suspended for his actions in the race.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/maximum-secur...232404061.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast