Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40

Thread: Big Ag Squeezes Iowa Small Farmers Out of Business

  1. #1

    Big Ag Squeezes Iowa Small Farmers Out of Business

    While owners of small farms are experiencing an economic crisis similar to that seen in the 1980s, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch Brothers network — two organizations largely responsible for the current state of affairs — are attempting to blame the sad state of affairs on President Trumps effort to fix bad trade deals with China.

    Iowa’s farming industry is booming for massive conglomerates while the small farmers are taking a pounding like never before. A recent Axios report highlighted the many bankruptcies that have come as a result of the rising dominance of Big Agriculture.
    “We are going down the same road as the Russians with the collective farm system,” said Chris Petersen, a third-generation pig farmer who was forced into bankruptcy, to Axios. “There, the government controlled it. Here, it’s the corporations.”
    Hyper-concentration has taken over the agricultural industry, as Big Ag snuffs out all small competition standing in its way. According to the federal Department of Agriculture, four firms are responsible for 66 percent of hogs slaughtered, 85 percent of steer slaughtered, and half the chickens slaughtered as of 2015. Four monopoly firms also control 85 percent of corn seed sales, a 25 percent increase from 2000, and 75 percent of soy bean seed, up from 50 percent in 2000.
    The result of corporate dominance is the destruction of communities, as out-of-work farmers slip into opiate addiction or are forced to move because of the corporate-fueled unemployment.


    “A lot of towns are ghost towns because the farmers are gone. Schools are consolidating. My high school graduated 86 kids in 1974. It was 50 last year,” said Joe Peiffer, a Hiawatha bankruptcy lawyer, to Axios.
    The US Chamber of Commerce, one of the most influential lobbying outfits in the entire country, has paid lip service to the free market for many years. The organization has become synonymous with Republican politics supposedly standing for conservative values. They like to honor farm families with trite ceremonies that are good for propaganda videos, but the agenda driving the group is far different than what they want to portray to the public.
    The Chamber has a long-standing record of standing for corporate control over the economy. A great example of this is their relationship with Monsanto, one of the primary benefactors of current trends in the agricultural industry. The Chamber pushed to shield Monsanto from liability after a lawsuit accused them of causing environmental damage with their genetically modified crops and pesticides. The Chamber regularly gives awards to Monsanto to help their corporate public relations efforts as they fend off a battery of scandals.
    “The AACC applauds Monsanto’s inclusion of the Asian community as one of its nine business resource groups while also being one of the major importers of Asian talent to the St. Louis area for decades,” said Al Li, President of the Asian American Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis, in honoring Monsanto for its commitment to diversity and globalism.

    Other awards and honors given to Monsanto by the Chamber include the ‘Champion of Enterprise’ award from the Missouri Chamber, a keynote speaking slot awarded by the Hispanic Chamber, the Best of the Best Corporation for Inclusion award from the National LGBT Chamber, and even the Ceiba Award from the Southern Puerto Rico Chamber.
    “Agriculture is a complex and highly competitive industry, and there are hundreds of companies driving innovation and competing for farmers’ business. After a robust global regulatory review process, we brought together two talented teams and a robust portfolio to offer more choices for farmers. Working with our customers and partners around the world, we are focused on developing smarter ways to grow healthy crops that are more environmentally and economically sustainable,” Monsanto said to Axios.
    The Chamber and other corporate lobbying outfits will continue to be in Monsanto’s corner as they march toward absolute domination of the US marketplace.

    https://bigleaguepolitics.com/chambe...t-of-business/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Buy Local! Join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)! I just signed up for my CSA. We all have to do our part in helping local farmers and ranchers.

    Here is a great website to start: https://www.localharvest.org
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  4. #3
    Donnay, what products can you get from your local CSA?

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Donnay, what products can you get from your local CSA?
    It depends really where you are located. However, you can talked to them--for instance, my farm will give us a questionnaire (in the beginning) and ask us what we would like for them to grow, or would like more of. Below is a photo of my summer share (half share) for one week. My CSA has a Spring, Summer and Fall share, you can pick one or get all 3 shares. They have halves and whole shares too.


    https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/2...d-agriculture/
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  6. #5
    The woes of Iowa's farmers can't have anything to do with the retaliatory tariffs that Trump provoked through his dealerific dealing, can it?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The woes of Iowa's farmers can't have anything to do with the retaliatory tariffs that Trump provoked through his dealerific dealing, can it?
    You never know. Are small farmers involved in exporting? Who are their customers, as opposed to the big corporate farms?
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You never know. Are small farmers involved in exporting? Who are their customers, as opposed to the big corporate farms?
    This affects all farmers, even those who only sell domestically.

    Every unit of wheat not being sold to China is now being sold (at a lower price) in the US.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The woes of Iowa's farmers can't have anything to do with the retaliatory tariffs that Trump provoked through his dealerific dealing, can it?
    Farm prices are not significantly affected by the tariffs.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Farm prices are not significantly affected by the tariffs.
    Ah...

    Are they affected at all?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Ah...

    Are they affected at all?
    It's hard to tell, they compare to typical prices in other years.

    In any case the tariffs are necessary to preserve our liberty and independence.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's hard to tell, they compare to typical prices in other years.

    In any case the tariffs are necessary to preserve our liberty and independence.
    Question: If farmer Joe was planning to sell some wheat to eater Chang, but now can't, because Chang doesn't want it, because (thanks to the retaliatory tariffs) Chang can buy more cheaply from farmer Hirohito, at what price will farmer Joe sell now be able to sell that unit of wheat? Answer: at a lower price (he wouldn't have been planning to sell to Chang in the first place unless Chang were the highest bidder).
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Question: If farmer Joe was planning to sell some wheat to eater Chang, but now can't, because Chang doesn't want it, because (thanks to the retaliatory tariffs) Chang can buy more cheaply from farmer Hirohito, at what price will farmer Joe sell now be able to sell that unit of wheat? Answer: at a lower price (he wouldn't have been planning to sell to Chang in the first place unless Chang were the highest bidder).
    Or he will just sell to the person Hirohito would have sold to and the price won't be affected at all.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The woes of Iowa's farmers can't have anything to do with the retaliatory tariffs that Trump provoked through his dealerific dealing, can it?
    My guess , and I'm just guessing would be no for the short answer , and hell no for the longer.

    The small Iowa Farmer isn't shipping his product to Mexico or abroad, at least not directly,
    but if their products are all brokered, it could be a different story.

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Or he will just sell to the person Hirohito would have sold to and the price won't be affected at all.
    He'll sell to that person at a lower price than he would have sold to Chang, otherwise he would have sold to that person in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Question: If farmer Joe was planning to sell some wheat to eater Chang, but now can't, because Chang doesn't want it, because (thanks to the retaliatory tariffs) Chang can buy more cheaply from farmer Hirohito, at what price will farmer Joe sell now be able to sell that unit of wheat? Answer: at a lower price (he wouldn't have been planning to sell to Chang in the first place unless Chang were the highest bidder).
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  17. #15
    This isn't exactly news. It has been going on since the 1930s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    My guess , and I'm just guessing would be no for the short answer , and hell no for the longer.

    The small Iowa Farmer isn't shipping his product to Mexico or abroad, at least not directly,
    but if their products are all brokered, it could be a different story.
    Um, dude. If it weren't for the Breadbasket of the World, Asia would have starved decades ago.

    Do you get supply and demand at all? Suppose family farmers don't sell abroad? It's a damned stupid assumption. All farmers sell to silos, and silos sell to everyone. But let's play pretend and assume they only sell domestically.

    If Monsanto and ADM and their ilk don't sell abroad, then they dump their supply on the domestic demand. Suddenly Sara Lee and Orowheat are swimming in grain, and they will pay less.

    Supply and demand. It's a law even the most statist state can't disobey.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    He'll sell to that person at a lower price than he would have sold to Chang, otherwise he would have sold to that person in the first place.
    Not if the reason he didn't sell to that person was because that person bought his food from Hirohito.
    There is still just as much demand in the market and just as much supply.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Not if the reason he didn't sell to that person was because that person bought his food from Hirohito.
    There is still just as much demand in the market and just as much supply.
    Is there?

    When oil imports get tight, that price goes up. Then fracking increases, because it's suddenly cost effective. What happens to the supply then?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Is there?

    When oil imports get tight, that price goes up. Then fracking increases, because it's suddenly cost effective. What happens to the supply then?
    Are the buyers of the food paying any more than they would have before? No, they are buying from sources that don't come under the retaliatory tariffs.
    Are they eating any less? No.

    There is just as much demand left in the world for food as there ever was and there is only as much supply as there ever was.

    The fact that we sell China more food than anything else and they sell us other things mostly is one of our biggest advantages in fighting back in the trade wars being waged against us.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Are the buyers of the food paying any more than they would have before?
    Did we lose track of the conversation? We were discussing whether farmers were getting less, not more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There is just as much demand left in the world for food as there ever was and there is only as much supply as there ever was.
    Can you prove that? People pay shipping charges for American grain because American farmers are so efficient. When American grain goes off major markets, or the price goes up, suddenly inefficient farmers can and do compete. They spend their summers farming inefficiently instead of finding other ways to make ends meet.

    Did my fracking example go smooth over your head? Or were you in too big a hurry to spam and spin to let it sink in?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This isn't exactly news. It has been going on since the 1930s.



    Um, dude. If it weren't for the Breadbasket of the World, Asia would have starved decades ago.

    Do you get supply and demand at all? Suppose family farmers don't sell abroad? It's a damned stupid assumption. All farmers sell to silos, and silos sell to everyone. But let's play pretend and assume they only sell domestically.

    If Monsanto and ADM and their ilk don't sell abroad, then they dump their supply on the domestic demand. Suddenly Sara Lee and Orowheat are swimming in grain, and they will pay less.

    Supply and demand. It's a law even the most statist state can't disobey.
    lmao

    Stir up sht wherever you go, we had a great , civil talk here until you showed up.

    Bonus:
    You are talking out of your ash as usual, I lived on a farm for 10 years, but yea , you tell me, us
    I know better ..........

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Is there?

    When oil imports get tight, that price goes up. Then fracking increases, because it's suddenly cost effective. What happens to the supply then?
    :facepalm:

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Did we lose track of the conversation? We were discussing whether farmers were getting less, not more.
    If people are not paying more then the demand will be just as large.



    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Can you prove that? People pay shipping charges for American grain because American farmers are so efficient. When American grain goes off major markets, or the price goes up, suddenly inefficient farmers can and do compete. They spend their summers farming inefficiently instead of finding other ways to make ends meet.
    America is not the only source of food on the planet, the Chinese just buy from some of the other people who are already producing and American farmers can sell to the people who would have bought from those other sources.

    If enough of the world tariffed our food then demand for our food might drop but that is not the case.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    lmao

    Stir up sht wherever you go, we had a great , civil talk here until you showed up.

    Bonus:
    You are talking out of your ash as usual, I lived on a farm for 10 years, but yea , you tell me, us
    I know better ..........
    Oh? Do tell. You never sold grain to the local elevator?

    I think what you're trying to say is you had a nice, civil echo chamber. It was still long on spin and short on facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If people are not paying more then the demand will be just as large.




    America is not the only source of food on the planet, the Chinese just buy from some of the other people who are already producing and American farmers can sell to the people who would have bought from those other sources.

    If enough of the world tariffed our food then demand for our food might drop but that is not the case.
    Got data to back that up? China is a big market, and the U.S. is a big producer. A total boycott of American grain by China will clearly impact the market for U.S. produce and encourage less efficient farmers worldwide to pay a pretty penny for labor, supplies and other incidentals.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-04-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Got data to back that up? China is a big market, and the U.S. is a big producer. A total boycott of American grain by China will clearly impact the market for U.S. produce and encourage less efficient farmers worldwide to pay a pretty penny for labor, supplies and other incidentals.
    Have you got data to back up your position?
    China is not the majority source of food demand.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Have you got data to back up your position?
    China is not the majority source of food demand.
    It isn't? Name the nation with more mouths to feed.

    I dare you.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It isn't? Name the nation with more mouths to feed.

    I dare you.
    That doesn't make it the majority source of food demand, plurality maybe.
    India has almost as many mouths to feed and the African countries have quite a few as well.

    And it isn't just raw population that matters, it is the ratio between population and domestic food production x the population.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Oh? Do tell. You never sold grain to the local elevator?

    I think what you're trying to say is you had a nice, civil echo chamber. It was still long on spin and short on facts.



    Got data to back that up? China is a big market, and the U.S. is a big producer. A total boycott of American grain by China will clearly impact the market for U.S. produce and encourage less efficient farmers worldwide to pay a pretty penny for labor, supplies and other incidentals.
    LMAO again, idiot much?

    Yea , right, Grain is Agriculture, doesn't shock me that much , the way you post, I'd imagine that's what your
    diet ; Grain, more grain, grain, the isopropyl grain alcohol.......more grain, then some more grain, this is
    how are able to post the way you do.
    ''All farmers ship to silos'' :facepalm:

    ...PLUS another bonus;
    Your understanding of farming ; Grain




    :facepalm:

  32. #28
    I see a lot of spin. But I see no reason to believe the tariff war will leave American farmers unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I see a lot of spin. But I see no reason to believe the tariff war will leave American farmers unscathed.
    See your optometrist.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Not if the reason he didn't sell to that person was because that person bought his food from Hirohito.
    Again, if it had been more profitable for Joe to sell to Hirohito's customer ("Yoko"), he would have already been doing that.

    1. Chang switches to Hirohito because of the tariff (Hirohito now being cheaper than Joe).

    2. Yoko, who was paying less than Chang (otherwise Joe would've already been selling to him), is now looking for a supplier.

    3. Joe now agrees to sell to Yoko, at a lower price than he'd been selling to Chang.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Small Farmers Revolt Over FDA’s Proposed Food Safety Rules
    By Lucille in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM
  2. Georgia Small Farmers could use some help
    By adara7537 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
  3. CPSC/HR4040 Putting small business out of business
    By tangent4ronpaul in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 12:51 AM
  4. Small farmers should support Ron Paul
    By Joey Wahoo in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •