Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: POTUS to pursue an aggressive executive crackdown on immigration

Nogales is now the seventh border crossing through which U.S. authorities returns migrants to Mexico to await court hearings. The policy was introduced in January 2018 in San Diego.
    More than 56,000 people were sent back to Mexico by the end of November, according to Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse. Of the more than 24,000 cases that have been decided, only 117, or less than 1%, have been granted asylum or some other form relief allowing them to stay in the United States.
    But U.S. authorities have lauded the program, saying it's helped to significantly reduce illegal border crossings. The Border Patrol apprehended just over 33,000 people along the Southwest border in November, compared to 144,000 in May, when border crossings peaked.
    In a statement, acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said the program has been “an extremely effective tool."
    “I am confident in the program’s continued success in adjudicating meritorious cases quickly and preventing fraudulent claims," Wolf wrote.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-starts-sen...214315431.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    U.S. President Donald Trump's administration stepped up deportations of Guatemalans in 2019, doubling the number of migrants sent back from the United States a decade earlier, data from the Central American country showed on Friday.Trump has made cracking down on illegal immigration a major policy focus and has continued to press the issue in the run-up to the November U.S. presidential election.
    Last year, the United States deported 54,547 people to Guatemala on 486 flights, the highest since at least 2007, according to data from the Guatemalan Institute of Migration. In 2009, the year Trump's Democratic predecessor Barack Obama took office, there were 27,222 deportations.
    "We associate the increase with migration policies of the United States," Alejandra Mena, a spokeswoman for the Guatemalan Institute of Migration, told Reuters. She said she expected 2020 to follow a similar pattern.
    There were more than 400,000 deportations to Guatemala during the decade through 2019, the institute's data show.
    Deportations increased steadily in the first half-dozen year's of Obama's two terms as president, peaking at 51,157 in 2014, and then fell sharply the following year.
    In 2017, the year Trump took office, 32,833 Guatemalans were deported from the United States. The next year deportations increased to 51,376.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/u-deportation...203142988.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump’s new immigration judges are far more likely to reject migrants’ requests for asylum than are the judges prior presidents picked.
    Four Trump immigration judges in Memphis, Tennessee, denied more than 90 percent of claims from migrants, while the prior judges granted roughly half of the requests, according to a study by immigration lawyer Lily Axelrod.
    There are 465 immigration judges, some of whom stay on the bench for decades. But Trump’s pro-American policies are frustrating judges who were appointed by former President Barack Obama, prompting some to leave and open new slots for Trump-appointed judges. In 2019, 45 judges quit, compared to 24 judges who retired in 2018.
    “For 24 years, [Judge Lisa Dornell] sat on the bench in Baltimore’s immigration court, hearing hundreds of cases of immigrants trying to stay in the United States,” CNN reported on December 27. “It was a privilege to be able to preside over so many different cases and be able to grant relief to people who needed relief,” Dornell told CNN in an interview about the rising number of retiring judges. The article added:
    [Ilyce] Shugall recalled the challenges she had faced in trying to move forward with cases in a way she thought was appropriate. “I felt like as more and more policies were coming down, it was making it harder and harder to effectively hear cases in the way that I felt was appropriate and in compliance with the statute regulations and Constitution,” Shugall said.
    According to TRAC Reports Inc, “Judge Dornell is recorded as deciding 921 asylum claims on their merits. Of these, she granted 456 … and denied 464.”
    The new judges are picked by Trump’s attorney general and cannot be blocked by hostile Democrats. So their gradual arrival is likely to have a dramatic effect as the number of pro-migrant judges decline.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ation-numbers/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mexicans seeking asylum in the United States could be sent to Guatemala under a bilateral agreement signed by the Central American nation last year, according to documents sent to U.S. asylum officers in recent days and seen by Reuters.In a Jan. 4 email, field office staff at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) were told Mexican nationals will be included in the populations "amenable" to the agreement with Guatemala.
    The agreement, brokered last July between the administration of Republican President Donald Trump and the outgoing Guatemalan government, allows U.S. immigration officials to send migrants requesting asylum at the U.S.-Mexican border to apply for protection in Guatemala instead.
    Mexico objects to the plan, its foreign ministry said in a statement late on Monday, adding that it would be working with authorities to find "better options" for those that could be affected.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/u-implements-...jtc_news_index

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump administration officials will announce Friday that they have completed construction on 100 miles of new barriers along the southern border with Mexico.
    Acting Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Chad Wolf will announce the completed construction in Yuma, Ariz., The Washington Post reported. He will be joined by senior border officials and Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.).
    The announcement will come just days after a federal appeals court in New Orleans lifted an injunction from a lower court that had blocked the Trump administration from using military funds to help build the border wall.

The Wednesday decision will allow the White House to access $3.6 billion for the wall, a key campaign promise from the president’s 2016 election and a centerpiece of his 2020 campaign.

Trump celebrated the decision in a tweet, sharing “Breaking News: The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a lower court decision & gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall, Four Billion Dollars. Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!"

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...iles-of-border

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    About that $3.6B in military money for The Wall(tm)....

Federal Judge blocks use of Pentagon funds for wall
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/polit...der/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It will be overturned.
    Trump cracks down on immigration by pushing the new name of the NAU, now called the USMCA. "Nationalist"...pffft

No, it won't. They can't push a regional globalist initiative like the NAU/USMCA while building a wall at the same time.
    LOL

The Wednesday decision will allow the White House to access $3.6 billion for the wall, a key campaign promise from the presidentís 2016 election and a centerpiece of his 2020 campaign.

Trump celebrated the decision in a tweet, sharing ďBreaking News: The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a lower court decision & gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall, Four Billion Dollars. Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

The Wednesday decision will allow the White House to access $3.6 billion for the wall, a key campaign promise from the president’s 2016 election and a centerpiece of his 2020 campaign.

Trump celebrated the decision in a tweet, sharing “Breaking News: The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a lower court decision & gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall, Four Billion Dollars. Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!"

Sweet! That'll cover about 3 miles. I'm sure you're jazzed.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

Sweet! That'll cover about 3 miles. I'm sure you're jazzed.
    It'll cover a lot more than that and it will all get built.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump plans to divert $7.2 billion from the Pentagon to go toward border wall construction this year, an amount five times greater than what Congress authorized in the budget, the Washington Post reported.
    This would be the second year in a row that money is redirected to the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border from military construction projects and counternarcotics funding.
    The administration will take $3.5 billion from counter-drug programs and $3.7 billion from military construction funding, according to internal planning figures obtained by The Post, compared to $2.5 billion and $3.6 billion, respectively, last year.

A total of $18.4 billion in federal funds has gone to the border wall during Trump’s presidency. The plans indicate that this new boost of funding would allow the administration to build about 885 miles of new fencing by spring of 2022, more than the 509 miles planned for the border, according to the Post.
    So far, the administration has finished 101 miles of new barriers as the end of 2020 deadline by which the president promised 450 miles of new border wall approaches.

More at: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/b...m-pentagon-for

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/USBPChief/status...02942851555328

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/USBPChief/status...02942851555328

From that Twitter feed:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan 9
    Last year I told you a 6th member of the rip crew that murdered Agent Brian Terry was convicted. Yesterday, that man was sentenced to life in prison.

My heart goes out to Agent Terry’s friends, family, and coworkers as those who committed that heinous act are brought to justice.

Terry was the agent killed with a gun supplied by the Fed's "Fast and Furious" gun-running operation. No Federal employees have ever been arrested and charged for the operation and Holder has never been sanctioned for contempt of Congress.

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/statu...18854686613504

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There are a lot of statistics Mark A. Morgan, acting U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner, uses to show how Trump policies have helped to cut illegal immigration into the United States.
    But there are two that he feels really make clear the victory his agency has had in the past year, and he highlighted them in a small meeting Tuesday.
    First is daily apprehensions, a number that hit 4,600 at the height of the latest crisis in May. That has now dropped to 1,300.
    What’s more, he said, the 21-daily average is below 1,000, a 78% cut. “That’s a dramatic reduction,” he said, in updating the numbers released last week.
    Then there are the numbers of illegal immigrants “in custody.” That was a horrific 20,000 in May for an agency that has just 4,000 beds.
    Now a quarter of those beds are unused.
    “We were having those conversations back then about how the system was overwhelmed, there was overcrowding. We’re just not experiencing that now,” Morgan said.
    “Currently, right now, what we’re seeing is our in-custody numbers right now are actually below 3,000, and it has been steady for the past few weeks,” he said.
    He added that some 731 Border Protection officers pulled off the border to handle the housing crisis last year have also been put back on the border. “They are all back,” he said.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ells-are-empty

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Pentagon has received a request from within the Trump administration to build roughly 270 miles (435 km) of wall on the border with Mexico and is evaluating its cost and viability, a senior Defense Department official said on Thursday.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper signaled earlier this week he would not oppose some new diversion of funds for border wall construction, saying the border was a security issue and that the Pentagon was committed to supporting DHS' mission.
    "If that's what it takes, we are prepared to support," Esper said.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-gets...220534590.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Adolfo Cardenas smiles faintly at the memory of traveling with his 14-year-old son from Honduras to the U.S.-Mexico border in only nine days, riding buses and paying a smuggler $6,000 to ensure passage through highway checkpoints.Father and son walked about 10 minutes in Arizona's stifling June heat before surrendering to border agents. Instead of being released with paperwork to appear in immigration court in Dallas, where Cardenas hopes to live with a cousin, they were bused more than an hour to wait in the Mexican border city of Mexicali.
    “It was a surprise. I never imagined this would happen," Cardenas, 39, said while waiting at a Mexicali migrant shelter for his fifth court appearance in San Diego, on Jan. 24.
    Illegal crossings plummeted across the border after the Trump administration made more asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for hearings in U.S. court. The drop has been most striking on the western Arizona border, a pancake-flat desert with a vast canal system from the Colorado River that turns bone-dry soil into fields of melons and wheat and orchards of dates and lemons.
    Arrests in the Border Patrol's Yuma sector nearly hit 14,000 in May, when the policy to make asylum-seekers wait in Mexico took effect there. By October, they fell 94%, to less than 800, and have stayed there since, making Yuma the second-slowest of the agency's nine sectors on the Mexican border, just ahead of the perennially quiet Big Bend sector in Texas.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/illegal-cross...172436556.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/USBPChief/status...46455065583616

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ken Cuccinelli, one of President Trump's top immigration officials, previewed on Friday an expansion of a series of controversial policies the administration has implemented to severely restrict access to America's asylum system at the southern border and deter U.S.-bound migrants.Cuccinelli, an immigration hard-liner and the second-highest ranking official at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), revealed that in the coming weeks, the Trump administration will expand programs designed to fast-track the deportation of asylum-seekers. It will also look to implement agreements with Central American countries that allow the U.S. to reroute migrants who express fear of persecution at the southern border to the region.

In two weeks, Cuccinelli said, U.S. officials expect to expand two programs designed to expedite the deportation of asylum-seekers along the entire southern border. One of the policies, known as PACR, is for non-Mexican migrants who are generally rendered ineligible for asylum under the administration's sweeping third country transit asylum restriction, while the other, called HARP, is a similar policy for Mexican asylum-seekers.

As early as next week, Cuccinelli added, the U.S. could start implementing its "Asylum Cooperative Agreement" with Honduras. A team of U.S. officials will be there to facilitate the implementation, he said. The agreement, one of three the U.S. forged last year with all countries in Central America's Northern Triangle, allows the U.S. to deny certain asylum-seekers access to America's asylum system at the southern border and require them to choose between seeking protection in the receiving country or returning home.

During the call Friday, Cuccinelli also suggested there's a possibility that so-called extra-continental migrants — which could include asylum-seekers from Brazil, Venezuela and Africa who have journeyed to the U.S.-Mexico border in higher numbers in the past year — could be subject to the asylum agreements with the Central American governments.
    Such a move would mean that the U.S. could send non-Spanish speaking migrants who seek asylum at America's southern border to Central America. DHS officials have had a more difficult time deterring these asylum-seekers since they are generally exempt from the department's main border policy, the Migrant Protection Protocols, or MPP.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-admin-p...023346790.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/USBPChief/status...75870337019905

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A divided Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to begin implementing rules that make it easier for the government to deny limited-income immigrants residency or admission to the U.S. because they use public-assistance programs or might use them in the future.
    The court, in a written order Monday, granted the administration’s emergency request to start enforcing the rules for now, a move that nullifies an order by a federal appeals court that blocked the immigration restrictions while litigation was ongoing.
    The court’s action came on a 5-to-4 vote, splitting the justices along ideological lines, with conservatives in the majority.
    Announced last August by the Department of Homeland Security, the rules effectively expand the pool of people considered likely to become a “public charge” under U.S. immigration law. The government can use the designation to deny an immigrant a green card for permanent U.S. residency, and to determine which noncitizens can be removed or barred from the U.S.
    Using benefits like Medicaid, housing assistance or food stamps could render a person inadmissible.

(Excerpt) Read more at wsj.com ...

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A divided Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to begin implementing rules that make it easier for the government to deny limited-income immigrants residency or admission to the U.S. because they use public-assistance programs or might use them in the future.
    The court, in a written order Monday, granted the administration’s emergency request to start enforcing the rules for now, a move that nullifies an order by a federal appeals court that blocked the immigration restrictions while litigation was ongoing.
    The court’s action came on a 5-to-4 vote, splitting the justices along ideological lines, with conservatives in the majority.
    Announced last August by the Department of Homeland Security, the rules effectively expand the pool of people considered likely to become a “public charge” under U.S. immigration law. The government can use the designation to deny an immigrant a green card for permanent U.S. residency, and to determine which noncitizens can be removed or barred from the U.S.
    Using benefits like Medicaid, housing assistance or food stamps could render a person inadmissible.

(Excerpt) Read more at wsj.com ...
    Don't most countries do this, like Canada, New Zealand, etc.
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Don't most countries do this, like Canada, New Zealand, etc.
    I think so.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

New border wall is falling over in light winds. A bargain at only a few billion bucks to some Trump donor for such high quality work.

https://fox6now.com/2020/01/29/porti...-mexican-side/

EL CENTRO, Calif. – Newly installed panels from the US border wall fell over in high winds Wednesday, landing on trees on the Mexico side of the border.

The area is part of an ongoing construction project to improve existing sections of the wall.

New border wall is falling over in light winds. A bargain at only a few billion bucks to some Trump donor for such high quality work.

https://fox6now.com/2020/01/29/porti...-mexican-side/
    It's almost like they are posting from a script:

Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit

There is no proof that donors were given contracts.

cnn.com/2020/01/29/politics/us-border-wall-falls-over-high-winds/index.html

That doesn't look like the new wall.

And
    The concrete had not yet cured.

More at: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/polit...nds/index.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's almost like they are posting from a script:

That doesn't look like the new wall.

And More at: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/polit...nds/index.html
    LOL yeah a script, that's it. It's not that the "wall" is a fake piece of $#@! prop only intended to stand for long enough to take some 45 second promo videos and photo ops. Gotta be that the billion dollar installer didn't know to use concrete accelerator and a 30 mph wind was just too much.

:snort:

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast