Thread: Republican Dissident Considers Running Against Trump As a Libertarian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Republican Dissident Considers Running Against Trump As a Libertarian

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he really wants to do this, why not do it in the Republican primaries?

Bad idea. In order to be listed on the ballot as a libetarian, he will have to have bette mobilization and organization. States have rules about how someone can be listed on the ballot. There isn’t enough time or money for him to do that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Bad idea. In order to be listed on the ballot as a libetarian, he will have to have bette mobilization and organization. States have rules about how someone can be listed on the ballot. There isn’t enough time or money for him to do that.
    The LP is already at work to get on ballots, even though they don't have a candidate picked out yet.

The Demopublicans and Republicrats presumably have to jump through the same hoops, and are doing so, even though the GOP hasn't officially crowned their incumbent yet and the DNC probably hasn't even told their superdelegates who to nominate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Considering that the establishment (and GOP leadership) has long been the active enemy of limited government, and limited government politicians, would this move help or hurt the establishment?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The Libertarian Party has urged Rep. Justin Amash to consider mounting a third-party challenge to President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election …
    Of course the Libertarian Party would like a better candidate. When was the last decent candidate? Badnarik?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Of course the Libertarian Party would like a better candidate. When was the last decent candidate? Badnarik?
    Badnarik was okay...But he was not a great candidate...The last great candidate for the LP was Harry Browne...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Badnarik was okay...But he was not a great candidate...The last great candidate for the LP was Harry Browne...
    Harry Browne was a classic. And a pragmatist. I wonder if he were alive today, and wanted to run for office, if he would run as a Libertarian or as a Republican?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's got my support.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

If he runs he loses his seat in congress...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    If he runs he loses his seat in congress...
    That's a given. And he knows that.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    This is a horrible idea. Justin would learn what Ron Paul did when he ran as a Libertarian in 1988, that the only viable way to get into D.C. is through the Republicrat party.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

This is electoral suicide, he won't even get enough votes to throw the race to the Demoncrats and he will be seen as a traitor by the Republican voter base forever.
    I don't believe he is this stupid, he is just virtue signalling to the TDS crowd.

I really hope he doesn't become the next Jeff Flake.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

This is electoral suicide, he won't even get enough votes to throw the race to the Demoncrats and he will be seen as a traitor by the Republican voter base forever.
    I don't believe he is this stupid, he is just virtue signalling to the TDS crowd.
    Who's to say he won't steal more votes from the Democrat? Certainly not you. You'll deny to your dying day that the LP usually does, even though its true.

Who's to say he's not contemplating an educational campaign? Are we supposed to take your word for his stupidity if he makes that decision for that reason?

Who's to say it's electoral suicide? You live in or north of California. You don't know what his Michigan constituents want, and since many of them are Muslim, you know you don't care.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

It doesn't sound like he's serious, but I'm no mindreader. I'd vote for him, but it's a pretty dumb idea if he wants to maintain any sort of power in the future.