Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Pledge Allegiance to the Tribe

How about we get this thread back on track and stop hijacking it for a "Hate Swordsmyth" festival?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Not going to buy the "Trump as leader of the right" line, but otherwise valid points, and pretty much what I have been pushed into.

Or more accurately, reverted back to.

I Pledge Allegiance to the Tribe

https://theresurgent.com/2019/03/29/...-to-the-tribe/

Our divisions run deep. That’s not accidental.

by Marc Giller

You hear a lot these days about how the country just might be on the verge of splitting. I’ve even speculated about that myself, as there seems to be so little common ground left between how the left and the right view what’s best for America, or even what America has been and what it’s supposed to be. This conflict, in large part, was responsible for the election of Donald Trump—a political earthquake if there has ever been one, which has exposed the fault lines than run through not only the Democrat Party and GOP, but also the media, the culture and the very foundations of our Republic.

It has also caused the battle lines to be drawn, with issues that have long simmered on the back burner suddenly flaring up. Immigration is probably the most visible, with the crisis at the border exposing in sharp relief not only the Democrats’ cynical ploy to remake the political makeup of the country by allowing millions of illegals to come in, but also the GOP’s refusal to deal with the issue. Conservatives also see their freedom of speech under assault—not so much through government censorship, but through tech companies that have appointed themselves as the final arbiter of what constitutes acceptable discourse, or universities that invent flimsy reasons to dis-invite right-leaning speakers from their campuses.

In short, it’s gotten pretty vicious out there—which has increasingly pushed the right to adopt the same tribal instincts that have guided the left for years. To conservatives, it has become more than a matter of politics. It had turned into a matter of survival—the protection of not merely their policy preferences, but their families, their values, their way of life. When that’s how you view the stakes, you’re gonna stick with your tribe. And right now, if you’re on the right, the leader of that tribe happens to be Donald J. Trump.

Peggy Noonan has an interesting take on where we’ve ended up in the Wall Street Journal today. In her column, she remembers how fractured the country was back when she grew up in the 1960s—Vietnam, the draft, women’s liberation, civil rights—but notes how much the divide has grown more personal, with partisans staking out territory and never giving so much as an inch.

Both sides will be intensely human. And inhuman. Because the past few years the character of our political divisions has changed, and this must be noted again. People are proud of their bitterness now. Old America used to accept our splits as part of the price of being us—numerous, varied, ornery. Current America, with its moderating institutions (churches) going down and its dividing institutions (the internet) rising, sees our polarization not as something to be healed but a reason for being, something to get up for. There’s a finality to it, a war-to-the-death quality.

There’s a lot of truth in this, but also something that Noonan almost—but not quite—touches upon: The organized left has actually thought this way for decades, whereas with the right it’s a comparatively recent phenomenon—a reaction to the slow, steady, relentless march progressives have been making through the institutions that form the basis of American society. Only now that progressives have fully taken over academia, the media and the popular culture—and also indoctrinated generations of young Americans in their belief system—are they confident enough to finally pull off the mask and make their true intentions known.

That’s some scary stuff.

Noonan goes on to say:

It’s not enough that contraceptives be covered in the government-mandated plan; the nuns must conform. It’s not enough you be sensitive to the effect of your words and language; you must be punished for saying or thinking the wrong thing. It’s not enough that gay marriage is legal; you must be forced to bake the cake. It won’t do that attention be paid to scientific arguments on the environment; America must upend itself with green new deals or be judged not to care about children.

Nothing can be moderate or incremental, everything must be sweeping and definitive. It is all so maximalist, and bullying.

Also very true. But did you notice what those policies she mentions have in common? They’re all examples of the left trying to impose their agenda on the country, and force everyone to conform to their vision. If all this is part and parcel of the culture war, then it is most certainly the progressives who are the aggressors.

That is not, however, the way the mainstream media and the popular culture, portrays what’s been going on—and that’s a huge part of the problem. When one side of the partisan divide is always presented as noble, virtuous and on the side of truth and justice while the other is always presented as bigoted, hateful and evil, that not only encourages extremism—it virtually guarantees it.

In the case of progressives, this one-sided presentation gives them license to indulge their worst instincts, while inviting all kinds of corruption because they will never be held to account. In the case of conservatives, the opposite is true, with them being held to ridiculous standards that demand they constantly prove how they’re not racist, not sexist, not out to kill people with tax cuts and destroy the planet with fossil fuels. After a while, extremism simply becomes the status quo.

What’s more is that none of this is an accident. The organized left wants things this way. It’s one of the ways in which they’ve edged the Overton Window farther and farther in their direction. Need proof that the strategy has worked? A scant few years ago, Democrats would never have dreamed of openly advocating illegal immigration; now some have declared they want to abolish ICE and open the borders. Bill Clinton once talked about abortion as “safe, legal and rare”; now some blue states are allowing abortion up to the moment of birth. The list of issues goes on and on, but you get the idea. As far as the media are concerned, progressives get to define the terms of the debate.

So long as that’s the case, I don’t see the divide ever getting bridged.

We can't live in unity with those who want big government, we will have to separate from them and keep them out of our territory.
    If they won't let us separate from them then we will have to drive them out or eliminate them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs up Champion of Liberty - Lysander Spooner... American Letter Mail Company

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They can be forced to better than the Neofeudalist oligarchs can.

I take it you think the founders were statist scum for making the USPS?

They were not, they knew that Information distribution is vital to the preservation of liberty.
    Lysander Spooner could have done it better, but the gov federalists beat down his private American Letter Mail Company. The founding fathers made a mistake with the USPS. They couldn't imagine that someone like Sneak 'n Peek Don would become chief executive one day.

Lysander Spooner (January 19, 1808 – May 14, 1887) was an American political philosopher, essayist, pamphlet writer, Unitarian, abolitionist, individualist anarchist, legal theorist and entrepreneur of the 19th century. He was a strong advocate of the labor movement and severely anti-authoritarian and individualist anarchist in his political views.

Spooner's most famous writing includes the seminal abolitionist book The Unconstitutionality of Slavery and No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority which opposed treason charges against secessionists. He is also known for competing with the Post Office with his American Letter Mail Company. However, it was closed after legal problems with the federal government.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 04-02-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Lysander Spooner could have done it better, but the gov federalists beat down his private American Letter Mail Company. The founding fathers made a mistake with the USPS. They couldn't imagine that someone like Sneak 'n Peak Don would become chief executive one day.

Lysander Spooner (January 19, 1808 – May 14, 1887) was an American political philosopher, essayist, pamphlet writer, Unitarian, abolitionist, individualist anarchist, legal theorist and entrepreneur of the 19th century. He was a strong advocate of the labor movement and severely anti-authoritarian and individualist anarchist in his political views.

Spooner's most famous writing includes the seminal abolitionist book The Unconstitutionality of Slavery and No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority which opposed treason charges against secessionists. He is also known for competing with the Post Office with his American Letter Mail Company. However, it was closed after legal problems with the federal government.
    I never said the USPS should have a monopoly, it shouldn't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How about we get this thread back on track and stop hijacking it for a "Hate Swordsmyth" festival?

We can't live in unity with those who want big government, we will have to separate from them and keep them out of our territory.
    If they won't let us separate from them then we will have to drive them out or eliminate them.
    Nothing says Liberty like a Purge and Culling.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Nothing says Liberty like a Purge and Culling.
    Of tyrants.

The tree of liberty....................................

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Of tyrants.

The tree of liberty....................................
    Xenophobes are the right hand of Tyrants.

You target the victims and ignore the tyrants.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Xenophobes are the right hand of Tyrants.

You target the victims and ignore the tyrants.
    LOL

I'm not a xenophobe and I target the tyrants and their willing tools.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm not a xenophobe
    Yes..you are.. You are a Textbook example..

You should seek help,, because that FEAR will only move to something else should all immigration suddenly cease.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You should seek help,, because that FEAR will only move to something else should all immigration suddenly cease.
    LOL

I have always supported some immigration after we deal with the crisis caused by the excessive immigration we have had, no xenophobe would.

You are also trying to change the subject, most of the people we must separate from (peacefully or by force) are natives.

You have moved on from your xenophilia to demanding that we stay chained to those who want bigger government no matter where they come from.

According to you liberty means allowing others to tyrannize you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He's a textbook example of a sapper.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    He's a textbook example of a sapper.
    That would be pcosmar:

Looking forward to watching it BURN.

And all the rest of you anarchists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup, he's here every day pushing for higher taxes...more regulations
    Tariffs are taxes

Laws prohibiting businesses from hiring certain categories of persons are regulations

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Tariffs are taxes

Laws prohibiting businesses from hiring certain categories of persons are regulations
    You believe in taxes and laws to maximize and preserve liberty, so do I.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Non-anarchists, such as myself, believe in taxes and laws to preserve liberty.

Non-libertarians, such as yourself, believe in taxes and laws in pursuit of a burrito- and kebab-free utopia.

The end only justifies the means if the end is worthwhile; liberty is, nationalism isn't.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 04-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Non-anarchists, such as myself, believe in taxes and laws to preserve liberty.

Non-libertarians, such as yourself, believe in taxes and laws in pursuit of a burrito- and kebab-free utopia.
    People like me believe in taxes and laws in pursuit of a communist free "utopia".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Taxes are Theft.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

People like me believe in taxes and laws in pursuit of a communist free "utopia".
    People like you believe in Theft to enforce your Elitist views.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Taxes are Theft.
    There are arguments against that for taxes that only fund legitimate government functions but I won't bother with them.
    A little taxation that minimizes all other sources of theft is an overall reduction in theft and the best outcome possible in this world.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

People like you believe in Theft to enforce your Elitist views.
    People like you believe in allowing tyranny to go unopposed while you enjoy watching things burn.

I'll take my position over yours any day.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

People like you believe in allowing tyranny to go unopposed while you enjoy watching things burn.

I'll take my position over yours any day.
    I got no problems at all with throwing wrenches into your machine.

none
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got no problems at all with throwing wrenches into your machine.

none
    Yes, you throw wrenches at the people fighting tyranny all the time, we get in the way of your desire to see everything burn.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A little taxation that minimizes all other sources of theft is an overall reduction in theft and the best outcome possible in this world.
    The thief's justification.

what little "Government" that should be allowed should be run from a TIP jar.

I repented of theft in 1980.. I am a Convicted Thief. I know one when I see one.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You're pursuing nationalism, which, contrary to your incoherent protestations to the contrary, is incompatible with liberty.

The end only justifies the means if the end is worthwhile; liberty is, nationalism isn't.
    Oh, I see, so only if it is end you are in favor of.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

You're pursuing nationalism, which, contrary to your incoherent protestations to the contrary, is incompatible with liberty.
    Even if that nation is the only one that is free?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

I repented of theft in 1980.. I am a Convicted Thief. I know one when I see one.
    Running government out of a tip jar results in tyranny in the service of the largest donors.

Reducing theft is a good thing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is not incompatible with liberty in the least, your precious globalism is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes, you throw wrenches at the people fighting tyranny all the time, we get in the way of your desire to see everything burn.
    Theft and Fear

You are about to have a panic attack..

Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
    (and no one knows how many Freemen there are)

Query?
    anyone else hearing Harkonnen trash talk?
    Last edited by pcosmar; 04-02-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: question
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

As Zip has pointed out on numerous occasions, constitutionally authorized tariffs and excises amount to, in real terms, exactly that...a tip jar

Theft and Fear

You are about to have a panic attack..

(and no one knows how many Freemen there are)
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast