Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Police State Has Begun Stealing Private Property

The Police State Has Begun Stealing Private Property

The week before Donald Trump’s inauguration, Yvette Salinas received a letter she had been dreading for years: legal notice that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) wants to build a border wall on her family’s land in Los Ebanos. The 21-page document, entitled a “Declaration of Taking,” is addressed to her ailing mother, Maria Flores, who owns the property with her siblings. The letter offers Flores $2,900 for 1.2 acres near the Rio Grande. If she chooses not to accept the offer, the land could be seized through eminent domain. “It’s scary when you read it,” Salinas says. “You feel like you have to sign.”

The 16-acre property has been in the family for so long that none of them can remember the year it was acquired. Salinas only knows they’ve had it for five generations. Her uncle runs a few head of cattle on the property, which lies not far from Los Ebanos’ most famous attraction, a hand-drawn ferry that shuttles cars and their passengers across the river to Mexico.

This is not the first time the federal government has wanted to seize the land for a border wall. In the wake of the Secure Fence Act of 2006, the Bush administration put up 110 miles of border fencing, much of it on private land in Texas. In 2008, Salinas’ family received a condemnation notice offering them the same low, low price of $2,900. Others in Los Ebanos were mailed similar notices.

But nature and time were on their side. Los Ebanos is squeezed into a bend in the Rio Grande, and lies entirely in the river’s floodplain. A treaty between the United States and Mexico forbids building any structures in the floodplain that could push floodwaters into surrounding communities.
    The map given to Flores in 2008 by the DHS showing their proposed fence acquisition tract on Flores’ land. Jen Reel

Salinas’ family held off on signing the condemnation letter. As time passed, building a wall in Los Ebanos seemed less likely, because of the treaty and because the Obama administration made wall-building less of a priority. In the meantime, Aleida Garcia, Salinas’ cousin, said the government has increased security in the area by adding more surveillance, which she prefers to Trump’s proposed 30-foot wall. “Even if they build a wall, people will still come,” said Garcia. “What’s helped us tremendously and is less expensive is the technology — the aerostat balloons, the ground sensors and even boots on the ground.”

But Los Ebanos appears to be a prime target for the Trump administration. The surveying and planning work has already been done, and the Secure Fence Act authorizes more border fencing to be built. And in 2012, the United States half of the International Boundary and Water Commission, a binational organization tasked with managing the U.S.-Mexico water treaty, capitulated to lobbying by DHS and agreed to a wall in the floodplain.

Salinas says her family doesn’t want to give up their land, and they are consulting with lawyers to decide what to do next. But fighting the federal government could mean spending years in court. If they lose, DHS could take their land. Salinas, who is 29, says it makes her sad that the family’s legacy could be divided by an ugly wall that will cause problems for Los Ebanos. “We don’t want this wall — the town is pretty much united on that,” says Salinas. “But we don’t want to get sued by the U.S. government either.”

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that DHS could acquire Flores’ land through eminent domain without compensation. The government would, in fact, have to provide compensation for the land. The Observer regrets the error.

https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-...asMxL0mjMWteaM
    Meanwhile, the Trumphumpers are all like:

EDIT: Ugh. Typos. How embarrassing.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hate to point out the obvious, but this isn't exactly new.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    lol
    That's what I was thinking , asset forfeiture has been around for a couple hundred years, but
    really became popular about 20 or so years ago.

Asset forfeiture is a crime , as sure as the day is long, unless perhaps following a conviction, and
    for justifiably constitutional reasons.

EDIT ;

Ignore my ignorance.........lol I thought since the title was 'police' this was about asset forfeiture.

Eminent domain ; I can't say its not necessary in some cases, though there have been glaring
    abuses to be sure.
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 03-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Yeah eminent domain is horrible.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    lol
    That's what I was thinking , asset forfeiture has been around for a couple hundred years, but
    really became popular about 20 or so years ago.

Asset forfeiture is a crime , as sure as the day is long, unless perhaps following a conviction, and
    for justifiably constitutional reasons.

EDIT ;

Ignore my ignorance.........lol I thought since the title was 'police' this was about asset forfeiture.

Eminent domain ; I can't say its not necessary in some cases, though there have been glaring
    abuses to be sure.
    Neither are new, but I agree asset forfeiture is a much more abused and immoral practice. Not saying eminent domain is all rainbows and lollipops.
    "The Patriarch"

Hey, yeah, I got a solution:

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    There should be hard men with guns there next.
    Cross the line, get shot in the $#@!ing face.

Problem solved...no eminent domain issues, no "ugly wall" to spoil the view of rocks, sand and scorpions, low cost, low maintenance.

Leave the bodies where they drop for the coyotes and wild hogs.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-24-2019 at 07:51 PM.

I'm against ED, but everyone has a price, and if the government wants the land, they must offer that price. Anything less is basically civil asset forfeiture.

Hey, yeah, I got a solution:

Cross the line, get shot in the $#@!ing face.

Problem solved...no eminent domain issues, no "ugly wall" to spoil the view of rocks, sand and scorpions, low cost, low maintenance.

Leave the bodies where they drop for the coyotes and wild hogs.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This reminds me of this story

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/g...ty-development

More property rights in China than the USA is when you know you're living in Tyranny.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

but muh culture!

Neither are new, but I agree asset forfeiture is a much more abused and immoral practice. Not saying eminent domain is all rainbows and lollipops.
    I agree, eminent domain is terribly 'abused' as well , especially when someone wants to build a Mall, in
    my mind that is an abuse for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bv3 View Post
    but muh culture!
    The invaders will take everything from everyone, is that a culture you would like to have here?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If anyone in this topic agrees with property tax you got no right criticizing imminent domain. Property tax is basically protection money or the mob steals your property also. "Let us steal your money or we'll steal your house!"
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The invaders will take everything from everyone, is that a culture you would like to have here?
    Why do you need so many bedrooms? We know a nice family of dreamers that need some bedrooms, so we're going to downsize your house and give the other half to them.

- Edward R. Murrow

Shoo anon.

Quote Originally Posted by bv3 View Post
    Shoo anon.
    Scat anarchist.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Put your money where your mouth is. Sell YOUR property for $2900, and use the money to buy a plane ticket to someplace where you can feel nice and safe, all walled in, like north korea or israel. Otherwise, Ron Paul put this sort of fear-mongering to rest back in 2007.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Yvette Salinas
    Just deport her and be done with it.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Put your money where your mouth is. Sell YOUR property for $2900, and use the money to buy a plane ticket to someplace where you can feel nice and safe, all walled in, like north korea or israel. Otherwise, Ron Paul put this sort of fear-mongering to rest back in 2007.
    Ron Paul ran an ad in the primary in 2007, pushing for border security with a fancy wall right in the ad. Did the same thing 4 years later.

VVVV Ron Paul said what now? VVVV
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Oh, dear me...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    This reminds me of this story

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/g...ty-development

More property rights in China than the USA is when you know you're living in Tyranny.

A sentence with 'more' 'rights' and 'China' in it can only go in one direction, and very quickly......

...and coincidentally there is more air in China, that's got to account for something , though it
    is not exactly what you could call 'clean' air.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    A sentence with 'more' 'rights' and 'China' in it can only go in one direction, and very quickly......

...and coincidentally there is more air in China, that's got to account for something , though it
    is not exactly what you could call 'clean' air.
    My point is here, they just take your house. There, they call your bluff and leave your house on a dirt island/in the middle of the highway lol.

- Edward R. Murrow

begun?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, dear me...

Yep. Ron said we need to secure our borders by allowing more freedom, not less. Even openly said building a wall was a stupid idea that would destroy freedom instead of preserve it. In fact, right here in this video starting at 4:30 he not only says a wall is stupid but that he thinks people should just be able to walk across the border.

Eminent domain isn't. But that is no reason to not point it out. Especially when it exposes people for who they really are.

Must be why no one ever born in American has anything. Because we've been invaded and lost it all.

Man you people are stupid.

And your solution? Actual tyranny to fight theoretical despotism. Life as a serf sure is liberating!

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Eminent domain isn't. But that is no reason to not point it out. Especially when it exposes people for who they really are.
    It should be done at every opportunity, I agree.
    "The Patriarch"

Asset forfeiture is based on the same concept as eminent domain. It is the same practice applied to a different form of property.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Must be why no one ever born in American has anything. Because we've been invaded and lost it all.

Man you people are stupid.

And your solution? Actual tyranny to fight theoretical despotism. Life as a serf sure is liberating!
    It doesn't even end well either way. They can build the entire wall and leave a few dozen families on the border. They'll suddenly get a lot of new visitors.

I don't think the trump wall will be built anyway, just the crappy border fence or whatever they keep talking about.

- Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast