Thread: Vladimir Putin Signs Sweeping Internet-Censorship Bills

Vladimir Putin Signs Sweeping Internet-Censorship Bills

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/19/03...nsorship-bills

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed two censorship bills into law Monday. One bans "fake news" while the other makes it illegal to insult public officials. Ars Technica reports on the details:

Under one bill, individuals can face fines and jail time if they publish material online that shows a "clear disrespect for society, the state, the official state symbols of the Russian Federation, the Constitution of the Russian Federation, and bodies exercising state power." Insults against Putin himself can be punished under the law, The Moscow Times reports. Punishments can be as high as 300,000 rubles ($4,700) and 15 days in jail.

A second bill subjects sites publishing "unreliable socially significant information" to fines as high as 1.5 million rubles ($23,000). [T]he Russian government has "essentially unconstrained authority to determine that any speech is unacceptable. One consequence may be to make it nearly impossible for individuals or groups to call for public protest activity against any action taken by the state," [analyst Matthew Rojansky told the Post]
    Well, its Russia. But make no mistake the way they are going is the SAME way as WE are going.

But what is important is that controlling the flow of information is the primary reason we need the First Amendment. Its there to protect the Right of people to express the Controversial things, not the things everyone doesnt give a $#@! about.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    https://yro.slashdot.org/story/19/03...nsorship-bills

Well, its Russia. But make no mistake the way they are going is the SAME way as WE are going.

But what is important is that controlling the flow of information is the primary reason we need the First Amendment. Its there to protect the Right of people to express the Controversial things, not the things everyone doesnt give a $#@! about.
    Russia never pretended that it was the land of the free or the home of the brave. Its is a deeply statist country where the people are there to serve and protect the state. In spite of all of that anti free speech bill, I think Putin is still a better president that Trump and Obama combined.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Russia never pretended that it was the land of the free or the home of the brave. Its is a deeply statist country where the people are there to serve and protect the state. In spite of all of that anti free speech bill, I think Putin is still a better president that Trump and Obama combined.
    Sadly I do agree with you about Putin. His people love him mostly. Russia is not what I would call a Free Country. What we can do is try to observe them as objectively as possible and see whether or not we see the outcome as being either "good" or "bad" for what we have here. What worries me is that we have become almost just as Statist, maybe not in our form of government, but definitely in our Application and Culture. All these damn Snowflakes claiming "should not have a right to hurt my feelings", like the ass mongers that get all butt hurt when they cross dress and the person talking to them literally does not know wheter to call them Sir or Ma'am or whatever their bull$#@! words are to describe in between.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Its really not a bad censorship unlike the ones that the western countries are pushing for. Its not like the Russian gov will put you in jail forever.

if they publish material online that shows a "clear disrespect for society, the state, the official state symbols of the Russian Federation, the Constitution of the Russian Federation, and bodies exercising state power." Insults against Putin himself can be punished under the law, The Moscow Times reports. Punishments can be as high as 300,000 rubles ($4,700) and 15 days in jail.

Wow I always assumed they already did this. I guess my conspiracy theory has been confirmed.

Anyone think it's a coincidence that ALL of them are pushing internet censorship agendas? Putin, Trump, Xi, etc? Big clue they're all working together.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book