Thread: US wars

US wars

When was the last constitutionally declared war before WWII? Was it the war directly preceding it? Wikipedia lists many wars in 20th century before WWII and also some in between WWI.

What/how many wars throughout US history were truly constitutional? Is it simply a matter of congress declaring?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless Article II has been changed or something without my knowledge Congress declares war (though POTUS can ask them to do so too).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

There have been 5 constitutional wars in US history. They are the War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Spanish-American War, World War I, and World War II. The Revolutionary War wasn't declared for obvious reasons, but I like to include it on my list. People try to say that certain wars were constitutional under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which gives the President 60 days of invasion and 30 days of withdrawal without a declaration of war. It is simply a matter of Congress declaring war, although since WWII they have let the executive branch take many of their constitutional powers. Other times in our history the President has gone to war with approval from Congress, but without a declaration. Tom Woods has a good article on this. https://libertyclassroom.com/warpowers/
    If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
    Ron Paul