Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill in Missouri would require every person between the age of 18 and 35 to own an AR-15

Bill in Missouri would require every person between the age of 18 and 35 to own an AR-15

https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking/sta...07708638449664

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about every 'household' .

I doubt this bill goes anywhere though.

There was a city ordinance somewhere that required
    gun ownership.

Certainly much better than the other extreme. Why not mandate the SR25?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Excellent . Tax refunds for arming oneself .
    Do something Danke

Another mandate?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

If it gets through committee he plans on scrapping the mandate and just focusing on tax break.

I mean. What? This is *almost* as anti-liberty as taking away AR-15's. What a terrible idea. And no. The government should not be giving tax breaks for owning guns. Just like the government should not be giving tax breaks to buy Teslas or homes or solar panels or having kids and just like the government shouldn't be putting extra taxes on things like sodas or cigarettes.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Never looked into it before, can a state require it's citizens to serve in it's militia?

ETA: Why yes, in Colonial times every able-bodied man was required to serve and furnish weapons.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 03-16-2019 at 05:41 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Never looked into it before, can a state require it's citizens to serve in it's militia?
    I believe there are laws that say they can.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Slavery was abolished. And thank god Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand laid the foundation for ending the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I mean. What? This is *almost* as anti-liberty as taking away AR-15's. What a terrible idea. And no. The government should not be giving tax breaks for owning guns. Just like the government should not be giving tax breaks to buy Teslas or homes or solar panels or having kids and just like the government shouldn't be putting extra taxes on things like sodas or cigarettes.
    That's how they pick winners and losers and modify our behavior.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

The Constitution requires Congress to arm the militia and the law defines all able bodied adult males as the militia.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Preparation for secession?

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Slavery was abolished. And thank god Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand laid the foundation for ending the draft.
    I have no problem with a State requiring militia service and firearms and tactics training annually. It might do the populace some damned good. Even at 54 I'd be more than happy to contribute.

Per zerohedge, bill was introduced to highlight absurdity of gun control laws. McDaniel says if it was actually going to advance in the state legislature, he would strip out the mandate and just focus on the tax credit.

I have no problem with a State requiring militia service and firearms and tactics training annually. It might do the populace some damned good. Even at 54 I'd be more than happy to contribute.

I must kindly ask you and your friends to get off my lawn......youngster.....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

ETA: Why yes, in Colonial times every able-bodied man was required to serve and furnish weapons.
    Indiana state constitution specifies age for militia . Age 17 your in . Governor is commander in chief . There will be an Adjutant General who will be appointed by the Gov . 1974 amended to allow conscientious objectors a pass . Indiana also has an Indiana Guard Reserve that serves under the Governor . Ist Brigade HQ Fort Wayne , three Battalions , 2nd Brigade HQ Lafayette , 3rd Brigade HQ Bedford , four Battalions , 4th Brigade HQ Shelbyville , three battalions . These are to cover ea quarter of the state .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Do something Danke

Get rid of the mandate and it'll be all good.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It has more standing for a mandate than health insurance . LOL , based on that alone any court challenge would be a waste of time .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-17-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Do something Danke

Honestly if they're gonna do this, they might as well revive the militia (I'm talking about formal militias the way they used to be run by the states, not treating it like some secret club where you dress up in camo and shoot pop bottles). I think formal recognition by the states would go a long way in taking some of the taboo factor away from the concept of militias. They could always do some sort of conscientious objector exemption like Kennesaw, GA has.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Honestly if they're gonna do this, they might as well revive the militia (I'm talking about formal militias the way they used to be run by the states, not treating it like some secret club where you dress up in camo and shoot pop bottles). I think formal recognition by the states would go a long way in taking some of the taboo factor away from the concept of militias. They could always do some sort of conscientious objector exemption like Kennesaw, GA has.
    I agree 100%. The Governor is the commander. Plenty of ex-military to put together specifics. Command structure, logistics, etc. Conscientious objectors can train and serve as medics or leave the state.

SB613 is huge! Every state should be "shooting" for these bills passing their house, senate, and then the governor's desk.

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    SB613 is huge! Every state should be "shooting" for these bills passing their house, senate, and then the governor's desk.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    There was a city ordinance somewhere that required
    gun ownership.
    Kennesaw GA.

Kennesaw is noted for its unique firearms legislation in response to Morton Grove, Illinois' law mandating gun prohibition. In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]:[21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Crime statistics

In 2001, violent crime rates were about 60% below national and state rates. Property crime rates were from 46–56% below national and state rates. From 1999 to 2011, Kennesaw crime statistics reported that both property and violent crimes had decreased, though from 2003 to 2008 the trend in both violent and property crime rates slightly increased.[19] The increase in crime rate overall is attributed to the population growth rate of 37.41%. The population growth rate is much higher than the state average rate of 18.34% and is much higher than the national average rate of 9.71%.[20]

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Kennesaw GA.

Kennesaw is noted for its unique firearms legislation in response to Morton Grove, Illinois' law mandating gun prohibition. In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]:[21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Crime statistics

In 2001, violent crime rates were about 60% below national and state rates. Property crime rates were from 46–56% below national and state rates. From 1999 to 2011, Kennesaw crime statistics reported that both property and violent crimes had decreased, though from 2003 to 2008 the trend in both violent and property crime rates slightly increased.[19] The increase in crime rate overall is attributed to the population growth rate of 37.41%. The population growth rate is much higher than the state average rate of 18.34% and is much higher than the national average rate of 9.71%.[20]

I found a few other cities with like ordinances; mandatory and suggested firearm (and ammo thereof) .
    The one I that I was thinking of was Spring City Utah, but yea, it looks like Kennesaw started
    the concept in 'this' era. I would imagine that up through the 1800's each household had
    several to many firearms, in all rural towns.

Nelson, Georgia
    Mandatory

Nucla, Colorado
    Year ; 2013

Gun Barrel City, Texas

Virgin, Utah
    year; 2000
    Mandatory

Spring City changed the ordinance wording to
    recommend 'firearm in every home'

Requiring every man to have an AR-15 seems a bit excessive.

A Remington 300 is more than adequate, if this bill's intention is to reduce the local deer population.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

What is the punishment for people who refuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What is the punishment for people who refuse?
    None , not enforced.

At least one of the cities as I mentioned reworded the ordinance as recommended,
    wording that they should all use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    None , not enforced.

At least one of the cities as I mentioned reworded the ordinance as recommended,
    wording that they should all use.
    Are you talking about the bill introduced in Missouri? Or some other city ordinance in "one of the cities you mentioned"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast