Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Rand Paul Releases Statement on National Emergency Vote

Dr. Rand Paul Releases Statement on National Emergency Vote

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) released the following statement after voting to disapprove of the national emergency declaration regarding the border:

“I stand with President Trump on the need for a border wall and stronger border security, but the Constitution clearly states that money cannot be spent unless Congress has passed a law to do so.”
    https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-...emergency-vote

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I visit the_donald on Reddit every day. People there held Rand Paul in high regard whenever his name was brought up to the point they viewed him as the natural choice to succeed Trump in 2024. After his vote here though it seems most of Trump's base now considers him a traitor. I've never seen it so bad and I'm not sure there is anything he can do to regain their trust. I feel his 2024 chances are over. An example thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...at_republican/

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    I visit the_donald on Reddit every day. People there held Rand Paul in high regard whenever his name was brought up to the point they viewed him as the natural choice to succeed Trump in 2024. After his vote here though it seems most of Trump's base now considers him a traitor. I've never seen it so bad and I'm not sure there is anything he can do to regain their trust. I feel his 2024 chances are over. An example thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...at_republican/
    This is my concern. I think Rand may have risked his future over a non-win. I don't know if Rand is correct or not because I don't know what money Trump will be spending and how much leeway Trump has in deciding the details.

If Congress appropriated funds to be used for national defense without spelling out each and every detail, then Trump can win that argument all day long. The border is a national defense issue. If Congress gave the Executive branch funds to be used for national defense in a general manner, then Trumps lawyers will win that argument easily I suspect.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I feel like, we've seen this before, that this is not the first time Rand's done something that pissed a lot of Trump supporters off. Will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    This is my concern. I think Rand may have risked his future over a non-win.
    I don't think Randal is ever running for President again anyways, I think he decided that after the last go-round.

And all for a debatable Constitutional question that will make no difference because they don't have a veto proof majority, not to mention that the fate of the country hangs in the balance while the Demoncrats collaborate with the enemy.

He has been less than ideologically pure for worse reasons in the past.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

33 U.S.C. § 2293

Secretary of the Army may terminate or defer any Army civil works project and apply the resources, including funds, personnel, and equipment, of the Army’s civil works program to authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense, without regard to any other provision of law (1986)

19 U.S.C. § 1318

Secretary of the Treasury may eliminate, consolidate, or relocate any office or port of entry of the Customs Service; modify hours of service, alter services rendered at any location, or reduce the number of employees at any location; or take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He has been less than ideologically pure for worse reasons in the past.
    I'm sure we'd all just love to hear what you're carrying on about now.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Ask the Rand haters, they can provide you with quite the list.
    I'm not here to stab Rand in the back even if he is wrong about this so I won't bother.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19 U.S.C. § 1318
    In its entirety:

(a)  Whenever the President shall by proclamation declare an emergency to exist by reason of a state of war, or otherwise, he may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to extend during the continuance of such emergency the time herein prescribed for the performance of any act, and may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to permit, under such regulations as the Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe, the importation free of duty of food, clothing, and medical, surgical, and other supplies for use in emergency relief work.  The Secretary of the Treasury shall report to the Congress any action taken under the provisions of this section.

(b)(1)  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of the Treasury, when necessary to respond to a national emergency declared under the National Emergencies Act ( 50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq. ) or to a specific threat to human life or national interests, is authorized to take the following actions on a temporary basis:

(A)  Eliminate, consolidate, or relocate any office or port of entry of the Customs Service.

(B)  Modify hours of service, alter services rendered at any location, or reduce the number of employees at any location.

(C)  Take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat.

(2)  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Commissioner of Customs, when necessary to respond to a specific threat to human life or national interests, is authorized to close temporarily any Customs office or port of entry or take any other lesser action that may be necessary to respond to the specific threat.

(3)  The Secretary of the Treasury or the Commissioner of Customs, as the case may be, shall notify the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Finance of the Senate not later than 72 hours after taking any action under paragraph (1) or (2).
    https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-1...sect-1318.html
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

33 U.S.C. § 2293
    33 U.S.C. § 2293 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 33. Navigation and Navigable Waters § 2293.
    https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-3...sect-2293.html

Ask the Rand haters, they can provide you with quite the list.
    I'm not here to stab Rand in the back even if he is wrong about this so I won't bother.
    I asked the one who made the claim.

(C)  Take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

(a) Termination or deferment of civil works projects;  application of resources to national defense projects
    In the event of a declaration of war or a declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act [ 50 U.S.C.A. § 1601 ] that requires or may require use of the Armed Forces, the Secretary, without regard to any other provision of law, may (1) terminate or defer the construction, operation, maintenance, or repair of any Department of the Army civil works project that he deems not essential to the national defense, and (2) apply the resources of the Department of the Army's civil works program, including funds, personnel, and equipment, to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't think Randal is ever running for President again anyways, I think he decided that after the last go-round.
    Well that sucks. America's loss.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Is this one of the prototypes going up?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...95228837048325

I don't know how to embed the actual tweet.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I don't know how to embed the actual tweet.

To post a tweet do the following:

1 post the whole web address for those who can't see tweets on this site
    2 copy the number at the end: 1098295228837048325
    3 press the small t button in the posting window, that will give you these [?TWEET?][?/TWEET?] (?s added)
    4 paste the number between them

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Speak for yourself.
    "The Patriarch"

33 U.S.C. § 2293

Secretary of the Army may terminate or defer any Army civil works project and apply the resources, including funds, personnel, and equipment, of the Army’s civil works program to authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense, without regard to any other provision of law (1986)

19 U.S.C. § 1318

Secretary of the Treasury may eliminate, consolidate, or relocate any office or port of entry of the Customs Service; modify hours of service, alter services rendered at any location, or reduce the number of employees at any location; or take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat
    Nope.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Nope.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Yup.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Nope.
    What is going up in that video? They certainly look like the prototype.

Last edited by Cleaner44; 03-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Lookin' more and more like REX 84 underway.

LOL! Trump supporters quite obviously have extremely short memories and will support whoever they are told to support. Heck, they don't remember what Trump said last week....so no chance they'll remember how Rand voted on something years later. Besides, forums are full of shills so you never really know if what you're reading is genuine opinion of random voters or whether it's perception management employees creating fake consensus.

------------------

33 U.S.C. § 2293

Has Trump declared the border situation to be an act of war or an invasion requiring military to defend against? If so, please provide evidence of Trump declaring that. No, you declaring it an "invasion" is not proof. If not, the statute doesn't apply and you selectively edited the code section.

19 U.S.C. § 1318

Nice selective editing of the statute. Post the full code section to reveal all that you intentionally omitted from your paraphrasing of the statute. You left out some important words...

ETA: I see you've already been corrected by others. I should have expected that! LOL I didn't even notice the "navigable waters" and "water resources development" heading.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Has Trump declared the border situation to be an act of war or an invasion requiring military to defend against? If so, please provide evidence of Trump declaring that. No, you declaring it an "invasion" is not proof. If not, the statute doesn't apply and you selectively edited the code section.
    It's not my summary and there doesn't have to be a war:

(a) Termination or deferment of civil works projects; application of resources to national defense projects In the event of a declaration of war or a declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act [50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.] that requires or may require use of the Armed Forces, the Secretary, without regard to any other provision of law, may (1) terminate or defer the construction, operation, maintenance, or repair of any Department of the Army civil works project that he deems not essential to the national defense, and (2) apply the resources of the Department of the Army’s civil works program, including funds, personnel, and equipment, to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/33/2293

Nice selective editing of the statute. Post the full code section to reveal all that you intentionally omitted from your paraphrasing of the statute. You left out some important words...
    It's not my summary and the words missing aren't important:

(a) Whenever the President shall by proclamation declare an emergency to exist by reason of a state of war, or otherwise, he may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to extend during the continuance of such emergency the time herein prescribed for the performance of any act, and may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to permit, under such regulations as the Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe, the importation free of duty of food, clothing, and medical, surgical, and other supplies for use in emergency relief work. The Secretary of the Treasury shall report to the Congress any action taken under the provisions of this section.
    (b) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of the Treasury, when necessary to respond to a national emergency declared under the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) or to a specific threat to human life or national interests, is authorized to take the following actions on a temporary basis: (A) Eliminate, consolidate, or relocate any office or port of entry of the Customs Service.

(B) Modify hours of service, alter services rendered at any location, or reduce the number of employees at any location.

(C) Take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/19/1318

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not my summary and there doesn't have to be a war:

(a) Termination or deferment of civil works projects; application of resources to national defense projects In the event of a declaration of war or a declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act [50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.] that requires or may require use of the Armed Forces, the Secretary, without regard to any other provision of law, may (1) terminate or defer the construction, operation, maintenance, or repair of any Department of the Army civil works project that he deems not essential to the national defense, and (2) apply the resources of the Department of the Army’s civil works program, including funds, personnel, and equipment, to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/33/2293
    LII U.S. Code Title 33. NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS Chapter 36. WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT Subchapter V. GENERAL PROVISIONS Section 2293. Reprogramming during national emergencies

It's not my summary and the words missing aren't important:

(a) Whenever the President shall by proclamation declare an emergency to exist by reason of a state of war, or otherwise, he may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to extend during the continuance of such emergency the time herein prescribed for the performance of any act, and may authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to permit, under such regulations as the Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe, the importation free of duty of food, clothing, and medical, surgical, and other supplies for use in emergency relief work. The Secretary of the Treasury shall report to the Congress any action taken under the provisions of this section.
    (b) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of the Treasury, when necessary to respond to a national emergency declared under the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) or to a specific threat to human life or national interests, is authorized to take the following actions on a temporary basis: (A) Eliminate, consolidate, or relocate any office or port of entry of the Customs Service.

(B) Modify hours of service, alter services rendered at any location, or reduce the number of employees at any location.

(C) Take any other action that may be necessary to respond directly to the national emergency or specific threat.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/19/1318
    Of course it's not your summary. Duh. That's part of shilling, isn't it? Posting whatever you're fed to post. It's why when challenged you show a remarkable inability to defend your position except to try to spin your wrongness.

"Temporarily" is an important word that your copy pasta omitted. There's nothing temporary about building a 2000 mile wall, whether the time it will take nor the end result of the construction. Also, that statute is in regard to Customs operations in the event of a national emergency or war declaration. The clue is that it refers to Ports of Entry first, therefore the following sentence that you highlighted is in relation to Customs and Ports of Entry, not carte blanche for 2000 miles of the entire border.

Here's a tip for reading statute. Just because you find a particular group of words together doesn't mean they apply to everything under the sun. It means they apply to the sections they are placed under, which provide the context for the contents of the section.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-19-2019 at 04:53 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

LII U.S. Code Title 33. NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS Chapter 36. WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT Subchapter V. GENERAL PROVISIONS Section 2293. Reprogramming during national emergencies
    Doesn't matter, "any" is the operative word:

may (1) terminate or defer the construction, operation, maintenance, or repair of any Department of the Army civil works project that he deems not essential to the national defense, and (2) apply the resources of the Department of the Army’s civil works program, including funds, personnel, and equipment, to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense.

Of course it's not your summary. Duh. That's part of shilling, isn't it? Posting whatever you're fed to post. It's why when challenged you show a remarkable inability to defend your position except to try to spin your wrongness.
    LOL

"Temporarily" is an important word that your copy pasta omitted. There's nothing temporary about building a 2000 mile wall, whether the time it will take nor the end result of the construction. Also, that statute is in regard to Customs operations in the event of a national emergency or war declaration. The clue is that it refers to Ports of Entry first, therefore the following sentence that you highlighted is in relation to Customs and Ports of Entry, not carte blanche for 2000 miles of the entire border.
    The reallocation of funds is temporary and securing the border has everything to do with preventing smuggling and enforcing customs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Doesn't matter, "any" is the operative word:
    Yes, "any" emergency directly related to navigable waters and water resources management. Border wall emergency declaration is not related to water resources management.

The reallocation of funds is temporary and securing the border has everything to do with preventing smuggling and enforcing customs.
    I'll just repost what I added to my post:
    Here's a tip for reading statute. Just because you find a particular group of words together doesn't mean they apply to everything under the sun. It means they apply to the sections they are placed under, which provide the context for the contents of the section. That section is debatable if the emergency is about customs. The first statute you posted is nonsense, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast