Thread: Anti-Gunners Win Case To Potentially Bankrupt Gun Manufacturers

Thumbs down Anti-Gunners Win Case To Potentially Bankrupt Gun Manufacturers

On March 14, 2019 the Connecticut Supreme Court sided with anti-gun interests by giving the green-light for a lawsuit against companies that manufactured and sold the semi-automatic rifle that Adam Lanza used to kill 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
    The Sandy Hook victims’ relatives originally sued the gun manufacturer Remington in 2014 for facilitating this shooting.
    This recent ruling allows this lawsuit to potentially go to trial, which could legally compel gun companies to turn over internal communications and other sensitive information to anti-gun government agencies.
    The court agreed with the lower court judge’s decision to throw out claims that directly challenged the federal law, The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, protecting gun companies from federal litigation. However, the court did allow the case to move forward based on a state law regarding unfair trade practices.
    In the majority opinion, the judges stated that “it falls to a jury to decide whether the promotional schemes alleged in the present case rise to the level of illegal trade practices and whether fault for the tragedy can be laid at their feet.”
    This decision has opened up a new avenue for gun controllers to exploit in their quest to destroy gun rights in America. This new strategy of circumventing the rigid protections in federal laws that shield gun companies from litigation when their firearms are used to commit crimes will very likely be employed by gun controllers across the nation.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/anti-g...he-court-room/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks connecticutt .
    Do something Danke

The court is allowing the portion of the lawsuit concerning the "marketing" by Remington- not the production or selling of the weapon. I have not yet found examples of the marketing in question.

https://www.masslive.com/business/20...can-go-on.html

"Specifically, if the defendants did indeed seek to expand the market for their assault weapons through advertising campaigns that encouraged consumers to use the weapons not for legal purposes such as self-defense, hunting, collecting, or target practice, but to launch offensive assaults against their perceived enemies, then we are aware of nothing in the text or legislative history of PLCAA to indicate that Congress intended to shield the defendants from liability for the tragedy that resulted,” Palmer wrote.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The court is allowing the portion of the lawsuit concerning the "marketing" by Remington- not the production or selling of the weapon. I have not yet found examples of the marketing in question.
    Which is bogus and intended to bankrupt gun companies, just like the headline says.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    Oh Look! Sandy Hook is back! And out to bankrupt American gun companies, with outrageous lawsuits from real events! Icing on the cake? Some banker's multimillion alimonious exwife and forgotten son got offed when Lanza shot his mom and killed himself!

See how I say nothing shameful about the victims? Is rich banker daddy also victim of his sons school shoot em up high score? No, rich banker daddy saw lots of problems evaporate.
    Last edited by UWDude; 03-14-2019 at 08:30 PM.

The court is allowing the portion of the lawsuit concerning the "marketing" by Remington- not the production or selling of the weapon.
    I don't remember any marketing by Remington that indicated their product was a good choice for shooting a bunch of kids. I don't have a tv though, so I guess I missed those commercials.

Found a few images. Does "Adam L" in the first one refer to Adam Lanza?

Link to first two images: https://www.businessinsider.com/here...-being-a-man-1

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-14-2019 at 08:43 PM.

It will be interesting to see an example of this advertising. If they pull this one off, the armed forces are in big trouble for their commercials advocating the same. Oh, and FPS game manufacturers too... GTA made me do it.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

LOL

You have no case.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    I don't remember any marketing by Remington that indicated their product was a good choice for shooting a bunch of kids. I don't have a tv though, so I guess I missed those commercials.
    I never saw them and do not believe they exist .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LOL

You have no case.
    I am not the one trying to make a case.

More from the "man card" series: https://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/bushm...-card-campaign

Looks like they pulled the online campaign they came from: https://www.bushmaster.com/mancard
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Pretty much this. But, it will cost the gun company MILLIONS to defend itself.

I am not the one trying to make a case.
    LOL

You certainly were trying to make a case that there was some basis for the lawsuit.

There isn't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Allowing a law suit to take place -- a HUGE WIN in a litigiously shy society such as ours.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Gun manufacturer Bushmaster Firearms will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court after a panel of Connecticut judges said nine victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre can sue the company despite a federal law shielding gunmakers from most lawsuits.
    Bushmaster produced the XM15 rifle shooter Adam Lanza used to kill 26 people at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut in December 2012.
    Congress extended immunity to firearms manufacturers, distributors and trade associations in 2005 when it adopted the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA). The law generally protects the industry from liability when third parties use weapons for criminal purposes. It applies in both federal and state courts.
    PLCAA’s prohibitions notwithstanding, the Connecticut Supreme Court said the Sandy Hook plaintiffs could proceed with their lawsuit against Bushmaster. The plaintiffs, citing advertising materials that place the XM15 in a martial context and glorify its lethal capacity, say Bushmaster violated Connecticut’s unfair trade practices law because its marketing campaign for the weapon encouraged its use for illegal purposes.
    The state Supreme Court said the plaintiffs can proceed on that claim under an exception to the PLCAA that sets aside immunity if a manufacturer breaks a law “applicable to the sale or marketing of the product.” The panel returned the case to a lower court for trial. The decision stunned pro-Second Amendment groups.

Lawyers for Bushmaster asked the state Supreme Court to put its decision on hold Friday until the justices decide how they will proceed. In court filings, Bushmaster said the U.S. Supreme Court has previously recognized that litigation should not proceed until the immunity disputes are resolved. Bushmaster called those holdings a “common sense principle based on fairness.”

“If proceedings are not stayed and Remington is required to undergo the costly and time-consuming burdens of litigation, including further discovery, motion practice and possibly trial, it will irreparably lose the intended benefit of threshold PLCAA immunity from suit,” Bushmaster’s motion reads.

More at: https://truepundit.com/gunmaker-will...ctims-lawsuit/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Instead of accepting such simplistic and obvious but pessimistic explanation, who don't we go with optimistic 'this is part of MAGA's elaborate 5D chess game plan that we can't comprehend at the present time' explanation ?

This could be similar to MAGA's 'take the guns first, due process second' signal to courts while back.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's very clearly a website which allows you to type anyone's name in. There's a 'revoke a man card' button below to trick people into giving away their friends' contact information.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Notice the word "if" at the beginning of that quote.

None of the ads you've posted do what that quote says. But even if they did, it strikes me as ridiculous that advertisers would be liable for criminal acts against innocent people on account of using ads that glorify something totally different than that.

If this proceeds, I look forward to the lawsuits against Hollywood studios. Guns are seen being used in bad ways within their product much more often than in gun manufacturer ads.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If this proceeds, I look forward to the lawsuits against Hollywood studios. Guns are seen being used in bad ways within their product much more often than in gun manufacturer ads.
    Reminds me of this classic:

I was watching Doc McStuffins with my children when, to my surprise, a commercial aired in which Joe Camel was shooting up a school with a Remington assault rifle. He wasn't smoking though.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

The Connecticut Supreme Court granted gun-maker Bushmaster Firearms a stay in the Sandy Hook victims’ lawsuit, as the manufacturer readies its appeal to the nation’s highest judicial tribunal.
    Bushmaster produced the XM15 rifle shooter Adam Lanza used to kill 26 people at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in December 2012.

The Thursday stay delays the start of the evidence-gathering phase of the litigation, called discovery, which will give the plaintiffs an intimate view of Bushmaster’s internal operations. The stay will remain in effect until the U.S. Supreme Court takes action on Bushmaster’s forthcoming petition.

It’s not clear when Bushmaster will file its appeal with the high court. Were the court to grant the petition, the justices would most likely hear the case in early 2020.

More at: https://truepundit.com/bushmaster-ge...-court-appeal/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Reminds me of this classic:
    Been a few years since I last saw this video. Never gets old.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Anti-Gunners Win Case To Potentially Bankrupt Gun Manufacturers
    MAGA / Leadership at the top could be setting the tone for policy changes by courts and pro-gun control lobbies.

But Las Vegas is different. The Las Vegas shooting threatens the very lifeblood of the town — the Strip. The fact of the matter is that it is no longer safe to be on the Strip. How can anyone walk down the Strip at night without seeing the thousands of resort windows and not wonder if some nut with a gun is staring down on you? How can anyone go to a concert again in Vegas and not wonder if there is a copycat shooter ready to fire on them as they sit there or leave the venue? You can put all the lipstick you want on this pig, but it still won’t make people feel safe again.

So take your time, Sen. Heller. There is no rush to find the appropriate time for a gun debate in Congress. Take the time to check with the NRA to see if it’s OK. But just remember one thing. Sheldon Adelson does not have the luxury of waiting. Neither do Steve Wynn or Jim Murren. After all, their businesses are at stake.

Trump, Sheldon Adelson talked Las Vegas shooting, policy at White House meeting Monday
    by Anna Giaritelli
    | October 03, 2017
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...meeting-monday

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.