Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate votes to block Trump's emergency declaration

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    No need to look down here, under your post. Look up, above your post. Or any of a couple of dozen other spots on this board. Or Rand Paul's tweet.

The Constitution says spending must originate in the Congress, specifically the House. No "emergency declaration" under the 1976 law has ever spent money. Ever. None.

Until now.
    But the 1976 law authorizes the spending.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    No need to look down here, under your post. Look up, above your post. Or any of a couple of dozen other spots on this board. Or Rand Paul's tweet.

The Constitution says spending must originate in the Congress, specifically the House. No "emergency declaration" under the 1976 law has ever spent money. Ever. None.

Until now.
    Isn't Trump just using funds that were provided to the Executive branch by the Legislative branch?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Isn't Trump just using funds that were provided to the Executive branch by the Legislative branch?
    Yes.

There is an argument to be made that Congress can't or shouldn't give the President the kind of blank check that they did but that is not spelled out in the Constitution.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That was demonstrated to be a silly assertion long ago. One wonders why you keep repeating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Only Q or a civil war will save us

They were appropriated for a different purpose. Congress gets to decide what money gets spent on. It's in the Constitution. Ron and Rand Paul agree Trump is over-stepping his bounds.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Ron Paul is right! Itís amazing how many in this very forum have closed themselves off to his message of liberty on this issue.

That was demonstrated to be a silly assertion long ago.
    No it wasn't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    They were appropriated for a different purpose. Congress gets to decide what money gets spent on. It's in the Constitution. Ron and Rand Paul agree Trump is over-stepping his bounds.
    Congress appropriated them for emergencies in 1976.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The $5.6 billion Trump wants to steal from the Department of Defense was appropriated in 1976?

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The $5.6 billion Trump wants to steal from the Department of Defense was appropriated in 1976?
    Yes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. Of course Congress in 1976 did not appropriate an indeterminate and possibly infinite number if dollars for an unknown number of future "emergencies". Few people believe something that silly, though those who do are spamming that opinion incessantly.
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.

No. Of course Congress in 1976 did not appropriate an indeterminate and possibly infinite number if dollars for an unknown number of future "emergencies". Few people believe something that silly, though those who do are spamming that opinion incessantly.
    Yes they did.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes they did.
    Swordshyll: X

Ron Paul: X is not true.

Rand Paul: X is not true.

Swordshyll: X X X X X X

Yes.

There is an argument to be made that Congress can't or shouldn't give the President the kind of blank check that they did but that is not spelled out in the Constitution.
    No it wasn't.
    Yes.
    Yes they did.
    Keep repeating it until it's true like a propagandist XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gee, I wonder why few of the regulars at ronpaulforums.com are buying that?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-14-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ron Paul and Rand Paul telling you the truth trigger your narcolepsy?

That explains a lot.

Ron Paul and Rand Paul telling you the truth trigger your narcolepsy?

That explains a lot.
    Your appeal to authority is boring.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ron and Rand's argument is that the Constitution prevents Congress from doing what they did but the Constitution doesn't actually do that in so many words, it is a matter of interpretation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A bully who has no substance to what they say will simply outshout anyone who dares to disagree with them (or their Authoritairan Idol), almost always using the most emotionally imflamatory and divisive terms possible. Look at the average post count, and compare it to that of any legitimate Ron Paul supporter here. Then examine how well their empty rhetoric and tactics compare with Ron Paul's message of freedom bringing people together rather than dividing them, and following the golden rule. It doesn't take much to figure out what such people are really doing here, and it's shameful that the site owner and mods willfully condone this deliberate opposition to the site mission and conduct guidelines.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    A bully who has no substance to what they say will simply outshout anyone who dares to disagree with them (or their Authoritairan Idol), almost always using the most emotionally imflamatory and divisive terms possible. Look at the average post count, and compare it to that of any legitimate Ron Paul supporter here. Then examine how well their empty rhetoric and tactics compare with Ron Paul's message of freedom bringing people together rather than dividing them, and following the golden rule. It doesn't take much to figure out what such people are really doing here, and it's shameful that the site owner and mods willfully condone this deliberate opposition to the site mission and conduct guidelines.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There is one way Rand could have voted with Trump...the fiscal angle, illegal immigration is costing America millions of dollars via various means, whether it be criminals being incarcerated or lack of taxes paid or a drain on health care. He could have said the long term fiscal savings would Trump the overreach of power, and we will let the SCOTUS deal with an overreach that happens from the DNC on something like guns or abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    There is one way Rand could have voted with Trump...the fiscal angle, illegal immigration is costing America millions of dollars via various means, whether it be criminals being incarcerated or lack of taxes paid or a drain on health care. He could have said the long term fiscal savings would Trump the overreach of power, and we will let the SCOTUS deal with an overreach that happens from the DNC on something like guns or abortion.
    And the Constitution? This Imperial Presidency you want Rand Paul to help prop up--how will you like it when next a Democrat is in the office?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I certainly don't believe that. What I thought was happening is that in the latest budget, Congress appropriated funds to the DoD and now Trump is saying he will use those funds for national defense at the border. I haven't looked into it all that deeply so I have a lot of ignorance here. If this is just spending DoD money in a way that Democrats don't want, I doubt they can stop him because I figure most money isn't appropriated at a very detailed level.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

And the Constitution? This Imperial Presidency you want Rand Paul to help prop up--how will you like it when next a Democrat is in the office?

The Constitution? Come now, my friend. Surely you know by now that as far as many of the "constitutionalists" around here any more are concerned, the Constitution means precisely what it must in order to allow for their desired outcomes, nothing more, nothing less.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I am glad this presidency is hilarious though.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I am glad this presidency is hilarious though.

That is not Trump's twitter, no blue check mark in it.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You keep saying that. And I've repeatedly asked you to find that provision in that law, and you have never been able to. Have you found it yet?

If not, then please stop saying this as if you know it to be true, when in fact you have absolutely no reason to believe it.

Yes. Funds that were provided to the Executive branch and appropriated to be spent on other things and not the fence that Trump wants to spend it on.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Yes. Funds that were provided to the Executive branch and appropriated to be spent on other things and not the fence that Trump wants to spend it on.
    What other things I wonder. Does the Congress provide a detailed list as to what the funds are supposed to be spent on? I doubt that they do. Does anyone know where we can find the list of the things Congress did appropriate the money for?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

Does the Congress provide a detailed list as to what the funds are supposed to be spent on?
    Yes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast