Thread: NC Lawmakers Consider Bill That Would Change School Grades

NC Lawmakers Consider Bill That Would Change School Grades

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...er-its-so-easy

Participation trophies for all has now escalated from the sports arena to public education...

A new bill under consideration would adjust the current grading scale, making a score of 85 an A and a score of 70 a B.

RALEIGH, N.C. - The North Carolina General Assembly is considering a bill that would adjust the grading scale used to grade state public schools.

House Bill 145, which promotes a 15-point grading scale, passed its first reading in the House on Monday and has been referred to the Committee on Education K-12.

The proposed bill would mean higher grades for lower scores by changing the grading scale as follows:
    • A: 100 to 85 percent
    • B: 84 to 70 percent
    • C: 69 to 55 percent
    • D: 54 to 40 percent
    • F: Anything below 40 percent

The old scale was a 10 point scale, meaning students would need to score a 90 for an A, 80 for a B, etc. If passed, the new grading scale would go into effect for the 2019-20 school year.

Every school and student deserves an A, right? It's their right! It's racist otherwise.

So they LOWERED THE STANDARDS!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I'm not mistaken this is the grading scale they use for the schools themselves in evaluations. Not the individual students.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    If I'm not mistaken this is the grading scale they use for the schools themselves in evaluations. Not the individual students.
    Interesting. Why exactly shouldnt the schools themselves be held to the same grade scale as they do to the students?

Where:
    • A = 90 and above
    • B = 80 and above
    • C = 70 and above
    • and so on...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Interesting. Why exactly shouldnt the schools themselves be held to the same grade scale as they do to the students?

Where:
    • A = 90 and above
    • B = 80 and above
    • C = 70 and above
    • and so on...
    OK. A quick look confirms it is schools not children. Seems they already use a 15 point system. Just making it law.....

Specht: That's right. And currently, North Carolina law already grade schools on a 15-point scale. When the school grading system was first introduced, it was supposed to be a 10-point scale but that was never implemented. Every year since then they've passed waivers to grade the schools on a 15-point scale. So, this bill doesn't change anything about the current school grading system that's not already currently done. And it doesn't apply to students. That's where so many people got it wrong.
    https://www.wfae.org/post/fact-check...scale#stream/0

Two things . As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible. Other is , Danke will be excited about finally getting a diploma .
    Do something Danke

One way or another, they're gonna gradiate.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Not really.

It just seems pointless to me.

Teachers can still give out the same grades. They just have to adjust how they grade so that work that they would have given a 90 before will get an 85 now.

It's absurd for a state legislature even to consider something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Good catch. You're right, that's what it says.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because every teacher uses his own grading scale. Are you saying that they should have a one-size-fits-all scale imposed on every single class?

Phil is right. It's a grading scale for the overall school's performance. ZH is just too click-baity these days. Good info to be found on pure econ conditions, yes, but headlines like this one don't do it any favors. The first comment on that article calls the sponsors "DEMONAZIS". Sheesh. I know 3 of the 4 sponsors and they aren't nazis. Democrats, yes, but nazis? Actually pretty good people that care about the school system and their districts. Jesus, ratchet this $#@! down a couple notches people.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible.
    You and my oldest son have a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
    You and my oldest son have a lot in common.
    It is not easy being gifted like us . I caught a lot of fish during that time others wasted on homework . Pretty sure I have the better memories from it
    Do something Danke

It is not easy being gifted like us . I caught a lot of fish during that time others wasted on homework . Pretty sure I have the better memories from it
    Homework serves no useful purpose for normally intelligent children, it only wastes their time and makes them hate education.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    One way or another, they're gonna gradiate.
    But their steel nott gointa be abel to spew itt.

My kid is about 2 years ahead of his class in math, so the teacher is now letting him pick what he wants to do during their math lesson. I just end up teaching him more math at home in about 1/4 of the time.

Two things . As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible. Other is , Danke will be excited about finally getting a diploma .
    That's exactly what I did. I thought homework was for suckas. I managed to squeeze by with a C because I was good at kissing ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.