Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/u...g-scandal.html

March 12, 2019

A teenage girl who did not play soccer magically became a star soccer recruit at Yale. Cost to her parents: $1.2 million.

A high school boy eager to enroll at the University of Southern California was falsely deemed to have a learning disability so he could take his standardized test with a complicit proctor who would make sure he got the right score. Cost to his parents: at least $50,000.

A student with no experience rowing won a spot on the U.S.C. crew team after a photograph of another person in a boat was submitted as evidence of her prowess. Her parents wired $200,000 into a special account.

In a major college admissions scandal that laid bare the elaborate lengths some wealthy parents will go to get their children into competitive American universities, federal prosecutors charged 50 people on Tuesday in a brazen scheme to buy spots in the freshman classes at Yale, Stanford and other big name schools.

Thirty-three well-heeled parents were charged in the case, including Hollywood celebrities and prominent business leaders, and prosecutors said there could be additional indictments to come.

Also implicated were top college athletic coaches, who were accused of accepting millions of dollars to help admit undeserving students to a wide variety of colleges, from the University of Texas at Austin to Wake Forest and Georgetown, by suggesting they were top athletes.

The parents included the television star Lori Loughlin and her husband, the fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli; the actress Felicity Huffman; and William E. McGlashan Jr., a partner at the private equity firm TPG, officials said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump hasn't even been in 6 months, you can't call him a boondoggle President unless he has overseen a military boondoggle for at least a year or two.

As soon as Paul Ryan is out, Trump will be ready to debate health care again.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    In all reality, Trump is the closest thing to a Savior America has seen since Lincoln (suck it, neo-confederates). Mostly because it never really needed saving since the Civil War.

This is strange...
    ..precursor to charges against Trump for the bribes he most assuredly had to pay out during his business dealings in New York?

I mean, bribing schools is commonplace. So why the big bru-ha ha, and why arrest movie stars?

hmmm.....

I mean, bribing schools is commonplace. So why the big bru-ha ha, and why arrest movie stars?
    hmmm.....
    The best part was that they deducted their bribes as a charitable donation on their taxes. Gotta love that.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The best part was that they deducted their bribes as a charitable donation on their taxes. Gotta love that.
    They must have taken my class . Bribes are part of business expenses .
    Do something Danke

That Yale coach had been there 24 years . That is a helluva lot of graft opportunity . I missed my calling . I could have been raking in millions coaching soccer . Doh !
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They must have taken my class . Bribes are part of business expenses .
    I've heard a few stories about bribes to normal local officials, from the people who payed, of course. We are talking like frame inspector or something.

I see the next tack. They are sailing for Trumps obvious bribe paying. Probably sitting on 500 cases right now.

And everybody knows, donations to campaigns are bribes. So Trump will point to the hypocrisy.

"But the law is the law", they'll say, "and if we threw these beautiful movie stars in Prison, then we can throw Donald Trump in Prison."

And that's when the reality of pen and gun clash.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've heard a few stories about bribes to normal local officials, from the people who payed, of course. We are talking like frame inspector or something.

I see the next tack. They are sailing for Trumps obvious bribe paying. Probably sitting on 500 cases right now.

And everybody knows, donations to campaigns are bribes. So Trump will point to the hypocrisy.

"But the law is the law", they'll say, "and if we threw these beautiful movie stars in Prison, then we can throw Donald Trump in Prison."

And that's when the reality of pen and gun clash.
    Do go on. Most Trump fan fiction is written in the past tense; alternate universe future Trump is an entirely new genre.
    Trump hasn't even been in 6 months, you can't call him a boondoggle President unless he has overseen a military boondoggle for at least a year or two.

In all reality, Trump is the closest thing to a Savior America has seen since Lincoln (suck it, neo-confederates). Mostly because it never really needed saving since the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Do go on. Most Trump fan fiction is written in the past tense; alternate universe future Trump is an entirely new genre.
    LoL. You are so clueless. You have no clue what I am even up to.

Toadie.

LoL. You are so clueless. You have no clue what I am even up to.

Toadie.
    If you're making beautiful mind collages on the walls of your spare room, the obvious choice would be the news reports from two weeks ago about Trump threatening schools and the College Board in order to prevent them from releasing his grades and SAT scores. You're going way out of your way to try to link it to his other criminal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    If you're making beautiful mind collages on the walls of your spare room,
    Do you still find this "hilarious"? If you think my thoughts are "hilarious", you should make funnier jokes about them.

I ended a post on this thread with "hmm..."

Does that mean I am trying to convince somebody of something? Does that mean I am proclaiming a truth?

What does it mean, funny man? If I'm setting you up for jokes, you just aren't a very funny person, because you are bombing with soft pitches here, guy.

Do you know what this discussion we are having is all about, yet? Or is it all escaping you, and this just sounds like the ramblings of a schizophrenic?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Just make it to the "too late for flattery" line. XD.

Well, I went to State.
    - SUPPORT FREE TRADE, SMUGGLE -

2 + 2 = 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Well, I went to State.
    Prettier girls anyway .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can someone explain why these are a federal crimes? These aren't public figures and the schools are state or private schools.

Quote Originally Posted by gaazn View Post
    Can someone explain why these are a federal crimes? These aren't public figures and the schools are state or private schools.
    Do these schools accept federal funds? Also, they deducted the bribes on their federal income taxes.

Just make it to the "too late for flattery" line. XD.
    Simpsons did it already.

The clip I'm looking for is when Burns is trying to buy his long lost son Larry (Rodney Dangerfield), a spot into his alma mater, Yale.

Burns, Baby Burns.

Burns - [Shudders] A total lack of refinement. Smithers, send for the boys at Yale admissions at once!

(Meeting)

Burns - Well, did you meet Larry?

Yale admissions man - Oh, yes. He made light of my weight problem... then suggested my motto should be "Semper Fudge." At that point he told me to "relax."

Burns - How were his test scores?

Yale admissions woman - Let's just say this- he spelled "Yale" with a six.

Burns - I see. Well, l... Oh, you know, I just remembered it's time for my annual donation. I wonder how much I should give...

Yale admissions man - Well, frankly, test scores like Larry's would call for a very generous contribution. For example, a score of 400 would require a donation of new football uniforms. 300 - a new dormitory. And in Larry's case, we would need an international airport.

Yale admissions woman - Yale could use an international airport, Mr. Burns.

Burns - Are you mad? I'm not made of airports! Get out!

Burns to Smithers - Summon my son at once.

Smithers (looking surveillance cam, reads sign) - Uh, it appears he's "Gone Drinkin", sir.

I loved this quote from the Attorney's statement:
    We're not talking about donating a building so that a school's more likely to take your son or daughter.
    I bet a bunch of the accused are kicking themselves now for not just donating buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am not a rapist but there are some people I would never consider to rape if I was a rapist. I wouldn't rape someone who I wasn't attracted to, someone who could probably take me down and pound the hell out of me etc etc.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you will use this opportunity to not only broaden your horizons but also to learn from the experience of those who are more successful in life than you. Their willingness to share the details of their most intimate moments in life is something we all should aspire to emulate.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I hope you will use this opportunity to not only broaden your horizons but also to learn from the experience of those who are more successful in life than you. Their willingness to share the details of their most intimate moments in life is something we all should aspire to emulate.
    She is more successful than me? Like what, I will probably die before her?
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am not a rapist but there are some people I would never consider to rape if I was a rapist. I wouldn't rape someone who I wasn't attracted to, someone who could probably take me down and pound the hell out of me etc etc.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    She is more successful than me? Like what, I will probably die before her?
    I knew not putting an emoticon at the end of my post will create confusion for some.

The schools are now being sued in a potential class action suit. For cheating students out of admissions fees in a fixed system and for devaluing their degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The schools are now being sued in a potential class action suit. For cheating students out of admissions fees in a fixed system and for devaluing their degrees.
    They should also be sued by every student that was denied admission that might have gotten one of the spots given to the cheaters.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They should also be sued by every student that was denied admission that might have gotten one of the spots given to the cheaters.
    That's who is suing in my comment, "for cheating students out of admissions fees in a fixed system".

New details have emerged on how prosecutors helped uncover what is being called the "largest college admissions scam ever". In addition, new celebrity names, including golfer Phil Mickelson, are being added to the list of those who used the service involved in brokering bribes to prestigious universities like Yale and Stanford.
    The scam was uncovered due to a tip that was given to the SEC by Morrie Tobin, a Los Angeles financial executive who was being charged for a financial pump and dump scheme at the time. Tobin "was being investigated in a securities fraud case," when he tipped off the government, seeking leniency, according to a new report by the Wall Street Journal.

Tobin is a Yale alumnus, who said that the school's women's soccer coach had sought out a bribe in order to get his daughter into the school. As a result of the tip, regulators were able to uncover the massive scandal. Tobin is awaiting sentencing in his securities fraud case that he signed a plea deal for last November.
    Tobin reportedly wore a wire to help catch Rudy Meredith, Yale's Women's Soccer coach. He met with Meredith in a hotel room in Boston during April 2018, where the coach said he could get Tobin's daughter on the team for $450,000. Meredith also helped another California family's daughter make the team after he was paid $400,000, according to the report.
    Separately, golfer Phil Mickelson admitted he had used the bribery company to "guide [him] through the college admission process" in a Tweet. His name was not part of the case, and a Bloomberg article notes that he was one of the legitimate clients of the company in question.
    Our family, along with thousands of others, used Rick Singer’s company to guide us through the college admission process. We are shocked by the revelations of these events. Obviously, we were not part of this fraud, our kids would disown us if we ever tried to interfere.
    — Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) March 14, 2019
    In addition, Bill McGlashan, co-founder and managing partner at TPG Growth, has resigned from his position after being arrested in conjunction with the scandal. McGlashan spent $250,000 on "illegal schemes to get his son admitted to college" according to reports.
    The Wrap reported that he was involved in:
    ...hiring a proctor to improve his son’s answers on the ACT test before they were submitted and “conspiring to bribe” USC senior associate athletic director Donna Heimel “to facilitate his son’s admission to USC as a recruited athlete.” He even created a fake profile of his lacrosse-playing son as a football kicker as part of the scheme, court documents say.
    Earlier on Thursday we reported that the universities involved were now facing class action lawsuits from their students. Last night, we also reported on major tax implications that could be waiting for the parents involved - including potential civil tax fraud penalties and interest charges on any bribe amounts they wrote off.
    Meredith also reportedly worked with William Rick Singer, the man at the center of the scheme. Yesterday morning, we unveiled that William Rick Singer was revealed as the man who brokered and facilitated many of the bribes.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...e-used-service
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast