Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Parliament Rejects May's Brexit

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Theresa May’s mutinous MPs are warning her that they will move to oust her within weeks if the UK is forced to take part in European elections next month and extend its EU membership beyond the end of June.
    Tory MPs are increasingly angry at the prospect of voters being asked to go to the polls to elect MEPs three years after the Brexit referendum, in an election they fear will be boycotted by many Conservatives and be a gift to the far right and Nigel Farage’s new Brexit party. Senior Tories said one silver lining of a long extension would be that it would allow them to move quickly to force May out, and hold a leadership election starting as soon as this month.

More at: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ghts-euro-poll

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brexit delay until October 31, with review in June

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status...07293794492417

Theresa May didn't manage to convince her fellow EU leaders to grant her another Brexit delay until the end of July during Wednesday's summit - but they didn't exactly get the long-term delay that they had been hoping for, either.

In the end, the two sides agreed to split the difference: An extension of Article 50 until Oct. 31, with a "review" in June where UK's compliance with conditions (holding EU elections) will be determined. European Council President Donald Tusk confirmed the agreement on twitter, just minutes after a flurry of media reports warned of the deal.
    EU27 has agreed an extension of Art. 50. I will now meet PM @theresa_may for the UK government's agreement. #Brexit
    — Donald Tusk (@eucopresident) April 10, 2019
    Amazingly, the Brexiteer 'spartans' who refused to follow Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg in voting for May's deal on the third go-round are already calling on her to resign. As the summit stretched into the late evening hours, media reports suggested that most of the EU leaders were in favor of a delay at least until the end of the year (and possibly until March 2020).
    If it's end of Oct with review at end of June, does that count as short or long? Longer than PM wanted, but shorter than she expected - surely not another classic EU fudge?
    — Laura Kuenssberg (@bbclaurak) April 10, 2019
    Though there was one notable holdout: French President Emmanuel Macron, who reportedly insisted on something shorter. In the end, they apparently compromised.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...and-may-resign

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But if they leave with no deal, how would they travel with their pets!??? Their pet passports would become useless overnight!!

It would be chaos!!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    But if they leave with no deal, how would they travel with their pets!??? Their pet passports would become useless overnight!!

It would be chaos!!
    Chaos that will require much voting, you should support it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

moved
    Last edited by goldenequity; 04-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.

It must be hard to be Theresa May these days. The U.K. prime minister has utterly failed to deliver Brexit to her nation, which voted to leave the European Union in 2016. No less than 32 of her cabinet ministers have resigned in the past two years owing to her government’s handling of Brexit. And members of the powerful 1922 Committee of Conservative backbenchers are thinking seriously about changing party rules that state a no-confidence vote can only be considered a full calendar year after surviving one. May survived a Tory no-confidence vote in December of last year.
    And now, at least one former Tory leader is urging her to step down ahead of upcoming EU elections scheduled for May 23. Iain Duncan Smith (shown), often referred to by his initials IDS, led the Conservative Party from 2001-2003. More recently, he served as a cabinet minister under the previous prime minister, David Cameron, until March of 2016, a few short months before the Brexit vote.
    “I know that the prime minister has already said she’s going. She said she would go as and when the agreement was ratified, which was looking at May, June. I think those dates still stand,” Smith told Sky News on Sunday.
    “I think that what the PM has to do is aim everything now towards departure before the Euros [election] which would then allow her to step away having done what she said she would do, getting the UK out of the European Union one way or the other and then we can have another leadership election and pick a new leader, which is the way it has to be.”
    The Conservative Party is currently polling seven points behind the Labour Party in the latest voter intention poll from Opinium.

Not leaving the EU on March 29 as originally scheduled has apparently caused the Tories to lose the support of the electorate, either to Labour or UKIP. It’s the worst poll for the Tories in five years, and the worst may be yet to come. Now, the new Brexit Party, fronted by Nigel Farage, threatens to erode Conservative support even more.
    “It was on the 29th [of March] when we didn’t leave; that’s when this has all gone wrong. Up until then, people were prepared to give Theresa May the benefit of the doubt,” Smith said.
    “The big problem was as soon as we didn’t leave, you could see all the poll ratings starting to crash. And it’s wholly linked to the fact that Leave or Remain, they were all expecting us to go, and when we didn’t go it looked like a complete breach with the pledge that we had made, and that’s a disaster for a political party.”
    As of now, if the country is still going to leave the EU, the U.K. is looking at having to hold essentially meaningless elections for the European Parliament. The new leave date is October 31, unless May’s deal or some other plan is agreed to before then.
    Many in the Conservative Party are openly suggesting that the party boycott the May 23 EU elections. Almost 40 Conservative association chairmen have written to May to say that they will not take part in the coming elections, as it would be “inconsistent and unprincipled to do so.”
    The letter, which was acquired by the Daily Mail, accuses May of breaking “solemn pledges” to honor the 2016 referendum by delaying Brexit. Further, if Brexit is still to happen, the letter insists that contesting in the EU elections in any way would be both fruitless and a gigantic waste of time and resources. The election is projected to cost £110 million ($140 million).
    Iain Duncan Smith agrees with the letter’s writers. “I really urge the prime minister to be very clear with them, we’re not fighting the European elections. Any idea of doing that is disaster. If we make that clear today and say we are going to leave, deal or no deal, before the Euro elections, I think the public will start to snap back and say, ‘ok, these people mean business,’ and when we do it, that’s the moment when we’ll end all of the nonsense from these other peripheral parties like UKIP and the Brexit Party,” Smith said.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...f-eu-elections

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12