Thread: Equal rights row flares over Arab-Jewish divide in Israel election

Equal rights row flares over Arab-Jewish divide in Israel election

Equal rights row flares over Arab-Jewish divide in Israel election

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A remark by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Israel is a state for Jews alone has heated up an election row over equal rights that has drawn in the president and even the Israeli who plays Wonder Woman over alleged prejudice against Israeli Arabs.

Ahmad Tibi, a veteran lawmaker in Israel’s parliament, said on Army Radio on Tuesday that election day is the only time when “Jewish and Arab voters have an equal voice” and Arab citizens should vote against what he termed persistent prejudice.

Urging the country’s 20 percent Arab minority, which traditionally has voted for Arab political parties, to head to the ballot box on April 9, Tibi said they face “prejudice and wide gaps” with Jewish Israelis all other times of the year.

Netanyahu’s attitude toward Israeli Arabs, many of whom also regard themselves as Palestinians, has emerged as a hot topic in the closely contested race.

President Reuven Rivlin, in comments widely seen in Israel as criticism directed at the right-wing Netanyahu, tweeted on Monday that there has been “an unacceptable discourse toward Israel’s Arab citizens” during the campaign.

“In the State of Israel - absolute equal rights for all its citizens,” Rivlin, whose post is largely ceremonial, wrote on Twitter, in Hebrew and Arabic.

He made the comments after Netanyahu said “Israel is not a state of all its citizens”, referring to a contentious law passed last year that declared Israel the “nation-state” of Jewish people alone - a phrase used by Netanyahu almost word for word in an Instagram post.

Israel’s Arab citizens and other critics of the legislation condemned it as racist. Netanyahu said the “nation-state” definition does not mean equal rights are not afforded to Arabs.
    More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1QT2E8
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ahmad Tibi, a veteran lawmaker in Israel’s parliament, said on Army Radio on Tuesday that election day is the only time when “Jewish and Arab voters have an equal voice” and Arab citizens should vote against what he termed persistent prejudice.
    The word “citizen” is key. Not all Arab or Palestinian (or other) permanent residents of Israel are “citizens”. Only citizens can vote in national Knesset elections.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot wades into Netanyahu row over Israeli Arabs

Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot has become embroiled in a row with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the status of the country's Arab minority.

"Love your neighbour as yourself," the Israeli actress said, amid wrangling over the role of Israeli Arab parties in upcoming polls.

Mr Netanyahu caused a stir when he said Israel "was not a state of all its citizens", referring to Arabs who make up 20% of its population.

He cited a "nation-state" law.

The legislation sparked controversy last year.
    The spat began on Saturday, when Israeli actress and TV presenter Rotem Sela challenged comments made by Culture Minister Miri Regev in a TV interview about the role of Arab parties in the 9 April general election.

Ms Regev repeated a warning by her and Mr Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party that voters should not choose its main rivals because they might form a governing coalition that included Arab MPs.

"What is the problem with the Arabs?" Sela questioned in an Instagram story.

"When the hell will someone in this government convey to the public that Israel is a state of all its citizens and that all people were created equal, and that even the Arabs and the Druze and the LGBTs and - shock - the leftists are human."

On Sunday, Mr Netanyahu responded with an Instagram post of his own that referred to the "nation-state" law.

"Dear Rotem," he wrote. "Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the basic nationality law we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people - and only it."

"As you wrote, there is no problem with the Arab citizens of Israel. They have equal rights like all of us and the Likud government has invested more in the Arab sector than any other government," he added.

According to AFP news agency, Mr Netanyahu later brought up the issue at a cabinet meeting. He called Israel a "Jewish, democratic state" with equal rights, but the "nation state not of all its citizens but only of the Jewish people".

The Wonder Woman star defended the comments posted by Sela, who is reported to be a close friend.

"This isn't a matter of right or left. Jew or Arab. Secular or religious," she told her 28.3m followers on Instagram.

"It's a matter of dialogue, of dialogue for peace and equality and of our tolerance of one towards the other."
    Israeli Arabs, descendants of the 160,000 Palestinians who remained after the State of Israel was created in 1948, have long complained of being treated as second-class citizens.

They say they face discrimination and worse provision than Israeli Jews when it comes to services such as education, health and housing.
    More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-47524518

Deuteronomy 10:19

“Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.”

King James Version (KJV)

Exodus 23:9

“Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.”

King James Version (KJV)

Leviticus 19:33

“And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.”

King James Version (KJV)

Leviticus 24:22

“Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.”

King James Version (KJV)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Washington Post Refers to Israel as ‘Jewish-Only State’ Before Correcting

The Washington Post referred to Israel as a "Jewish-only state" before correcting it in a story Monday about a recent tense meeting between Jewish and Muslim House Democrats.
    The article initially described Tlaib as "a Palestinian American who does not support the existence of a Jewish-only state." Tlaib cried as she described her "grandmother's suffering in the West Bank at the hands of the Israelis," according to the report.

However, Israel is not a "Jewish-only state." Arabs make up about one-fifth of the population, and the vast majority of them are Muslims.

They are sending up trial balloons.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

King James Version (KJV)

“Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.”

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

“Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.”

King James Version (KJV)

In the modern UN charters and human rights driven world, 'apartheid' has become a dirty word but as long they remain a 'chosen race' according to US Church's divine interpretations, our txapayers should continue to stand with them so we can continue to be blessed. The alternatives are far more riskier. Various biblical scholars have noted that withdrawing US support from Israel would be the end of America.

CUFI folks and America-First MAGA leadership seems to know this already.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtfNee0ljfq/

House Passes New $38 Billion Aid Package For Israel
    Sep 13, 2018

Israel only country to escape proposed cuts to U.S. foreign aid - LATimes

New US spending bill includes $200m increase in defense aid to Israel
    Feb 16, 2019

Related

Israel imposes 'apartheid regime' on Palestinians: U.N. report
    BEIRUT/UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - A U.N. agency published a report on Wednesday accusing Israel of imposing an “apartheid regime” of racial discrimination on the Palestinian people, and said it was the first time a U.N. body had clearly made the charge.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN16M2IN

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Not sure that it is a trial balloon as much as it was a confirmation of Netanyahu’s statement and a Basic Law of Israel passed in the Knesset last year.
    It's a trial balloon for expelling everyone else.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's a trial balloon for expelling everyone else.
    Or a trial ballon for taking away the voting rights of the Muslim Arabs who were grandfathered in as Israeli citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Or a trial ballon for taking away the voting rights of the Muslim Arabs who were grandfathered in as Israeli citizens.
    That would be the first step towards expelling them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That would be the first step towards expelling them.
    The contrast between this and the rhetoric surrounding immigration and voting in the US is interesting. The silence is deafening from the usual suspects. This topic will not be discussed much, if at all, in the US media.

In the US, it is “immoral” to deny any immigrants, and everyone, regardless of citizenship or even residency, should be able to vote. Or so some say.

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)
    Revelation 2:9 (KJV)
    9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3:9 (KJV)
    9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Matthew 24:32 (KJV)
    Jesus said:
    32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mark 13:28 (KJV)
    Jesus said:
    28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

There are good figs and bad figs and that is what we need to learn to discern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OyKILMZiRo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljStK4EfzA
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner