Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There are no cuts in Trump's budget

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Gee, could we, oh, I don't know, use something of actual value to barter with without getting thrown in jail? Or do we have to call banker-packaged bundles of debt--junk bonds, essentially--to avoid prison?
    What makes that a "debt free note"?

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Gee, could we, oh, I don't know, use something of actual value to barter with without getting thrown in jail? Or do we have to use banker-packaged bundles of debt--junk bonds, essentially--to avoid prison?
    The problem with that note is, the value of silver fluctuates and the government would now claim that to be worth 1/15th of an ounce of silver.

Yes, I know, it's supposed be 1 ounce of silver, but you know how they work.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

I assume he's referring to the note at the bottom: "One Dollar in Silver Payable to the Bearer Upon Demand."

Few points.

Why this thread title did not have , for a Republcan Prez to create record spending and debt is a bold action. Way bigger than gutsy Grey Wolf dregulation move.

If big gummit spending is cut too much, who is going to drain the swamp?

Lot of money is needed on MIC to defend freedoms of people in Iraq, Syria, Gaza, Israel, Saudi etc. Who is going to defend their freedoms if military budget is slashed too much?

Some folks don't think deep before demanding spendibg cuts.

Related

National debt hits $22 trillion

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I assume he's referring to the note at the bottom: "One Dollar in Silver Payable to the Bearer Upon Demand."
    Then it is based on debt. The dollar is a receipt for the silver the bearer is owed. (dollars can be exchanged for silver today too- you just need to take them to your local coin dealer or buy some coins from the US Mint).

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

Now, Zippy, you've had this conversation far too often to be playing dumb.

What does it say? I know you can read. It says it certifies that there is a silver dollar for that note. It represents a real thing of real value.

And a Federal Reserve Note? It is a package of debt. It is a junk bond. That's what it is. That's why its value shrinks like wool in a hot dryer.

Of course, the silver certificate is just another junk bond now, because when the bankers talked the government into signing on to their racket, the government turned silver and gold certificates into lies. Just kidding! No guarantees we haven't stolen the gold out of Ft. Knox!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Only Q or a civil war will save us

Now, Zippy, you've had this conversation far too often to be playing dumb.

What does it say? I know you can read. It says it certifies that there is a silver dollar for that note. It represents a real thing of real value.

And a Federal Reserve Note? It is a package of debt. It is a junk bond. That's what it is. That's why its value shrinks like wool in a hot dryer.

Of course, the silver certificate is just another junk bond now, because when the bankers talked the government into signing on to their racket, the government turned silver and gold certificates into lies. Just kidding! No guarantees we haven't stolen the gold out of Ft. Knox!
    Then it is based on debt. The dollar is a receipt for the silver the bearer is owed. (dollars can be exchanged for silver today too- you just need to take them to your local coin dealer or buy some coins from the US Mint).

Silly, purely and deliberately deceptive sophistry.

A certification that there is three quarters of an ounce of silver is analogous to a debit card, which electronically certifies there are funds on hand.

A Federal Reserve Note is a debt-based instrument. It is a share of an unpaid debt. It is a junk bond. It is analogous to a credit card. It guarantees nothing but that someone wants you to believe you'll get actual value for it.
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.

Silly, purely and deliberately deceptive sophistry.

A certification that there is three quarters of an ounce of silver is analogous to a debit card, which electronically certifies there are funds on hand.

A Federal Reserve Note is a debt-based instrument. It is a share of an unpaid debt. It is a junk bond. It is analogous to a credit card. It guarantees nothing but that someone wants you to believe you'll get actual value for it.
    So I can spend more than a dollar with a Federal Reserve note?

It is a share of an unpaid debt.
    What is this unpaid debt? The US Government debt? Student loans? Corporate borrowing? We have had government debt practically since the country was founded. Even with gold and silver standards. Still not sure what you mean by a "debt free note". Does that mean people will not be allowed to borrow money? If I want to collect on that debt, who do I talk to?

A dollar of what?

A dollar in the image acptulsa shared is a set quantity of Silver.

A dollar now is nothing in particular. If you go to a bank with a one-dollar FRN and demand a dollar back in exchange for it, they'll just give you another one-dollar FRN.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A dollar of what?

A dollar in the image acptulsa shared is a set quantity of Silver.

A dollar now is nothing in particular. If you go to a bank with a one-dollar FRN and demand a dollar back in exchange for it, they'll just give you another one-dollar FRN.
    So it is nothing like a credit card.

What is this unpaid debt? The US Government debt? Student loans? Corporate borrowing? We have had government debt practically since the country was founded. Even with gold and silver standards. Still not sure what you mean by a "debt free note". Does that mean people will not be allowed to borrow money? If I want to collect on that debt, who do I talk to?
    Do you trust this source?

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...overnment-debt

Well, then. Let us ask the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis that question, and see how straight an answer we can get for you.

Defining “Monetizing Debt”

To be clear about what “monetizing the debt” means, Andolfatto and Li review some basic principles. The Fed is required by mandate to keep inflation low and stable and to stabilize the business cycle to the best of its ability. The Fed fulfills its mandate primarily by open market sales and purchases of (mainly government) securities. If the Fed wants to lower interest rates, it creates money and uses it to purchase Treasury debt. If the Fed wants to raise interest rates, it destroys the money collected through sales of Treasury debt. Consequently, there is a sense in which the Fed is “monetizing” and “demonetizing” government debt over the course of the typical business cycle.
    A quantity of a precious metal with intrinsic value is not an instrument of debt. A Federal Reserve Note is literally debt. It's that simple. You know it's that simple.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-13-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Do you trust this source?

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...overnment-debt

Well, then. Let us ask the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis that question, and see how straight an answer we can get for you.

A quantity of a precious metal with intrinsic value is not an instrument of debt. A Federal Reserve Note is literally debt. It's that simple. You know it's that simple.
    Buying and selling Treasuries is only one way to change the supply of money. You can do that with metal backed money too.

Metal backed notes are an IOU (debt instrument) for the amount of metal the government says the note is worth.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-13-2019 at 02:10 PM.

It would help.
    Help reduce the deficit? or increased spending?
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Help reduce the deficit? or increased spending?
    I don't care about the deficit. Less spending is the goal, and less revenue is always better than more revenue in view of that goal.

Buying and selling Treasuries is only one way to change the supply of money. You can do that with metal backed money too.
    You just read the Federal Reserve Bank saying they make "money" from nothing and "monetize" the "money" by buying debt with it.

Can you create silver that way, and use it to make electronic components that work?

Metal backed notes are an IOU (debt instrument) for the amount of metal the government says the note is worth.
    But unless and until the government passes legislation decreeing itself to be a liar, it must have enough silver dollars in the Treasury to redeem them all. Now you can say until you're blue in the face that having savings bonds in the Fed's computer is just as good. But the fact is, half a silver dime's worth of Pepsi costs one and a quarter Federal Reserve Notes.

The key to your deception is your attempt to redefine the dollar as something separate from three quarters of an ounce of actual silver. And the Federal Reserve Note is indeed something separate. But a pre-1964 silver dollar is three quarters of an ounce of silver. That's what it is. No silver, no real dollar.

Care to dispute my debit card/credit card analogy? A silver certificate used to guarantee the silver did exist. An FRN guarantees debt exists.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-13-2019 at 02:26 PM.

I don't care about the deficit. Less spending is the goal, and less revenue is always better than more revenue in view of that goal.
    I disagree with u, the more u make spending painless, the more spending u end up with. Taxing the people for every wasteful and unnecesary spending Washington makes, the sooner u get spending under control. But what we have now is hyper spending, low taxes and the consequences is uncontrolled spending and our children being forced to pay back this loan.

I will prefer the pain now on me than the postponed pain on my children tomorrow.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Interest on the debt is a growing component of that spending. Higher deficits means higher debt payments. At about $400 billion this year it is as much as we spend on Medicaid. It is more than half the money spent on defense. It is nearly as much as all the discretionary spending in the entire budget aside from Defense (discretionary spending excludes interest on the debt, Social Security, and Medicare/ Medicaid). And will only get bigger as deficits (and interest rates) go up.

Cut 100% of discretionary spending besides Defense (all money for all departments of government aside from the DOD) and you reduce government spending $463 billion or about ten percent.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I disagree with u, the more u make spending painless, the more spending u end up with. Taxing the people for every wasteful and unnecesary spending Washington makes, the sooner u get spending under control. But what we have now is hyper spending, low taxes and the consequences is uncontrolled spending and our children being forced to pay back this loan.

I will prefer the pain now on me than the postponed pain on my children tomorrow.
    I don't think history supports you here. When there was no income tax, federal spending was about 2% of GDP. Generally, increases in revenue have enabled increases in spending.

That is part of the answer.
    Trump's tax cuts HAVE increased revenues, they just didn't increase it as much as the mandatory budget items increased in addition to his DoD budget increases minus his cuts to the rest of the budget.
    Further cuts would probably still increase revenues.
    Larger cuts are of course the biggest part of the answer.
    I am sure you have seen the graph of tax rate to revenue. There is an equilibrum point where cutting taxes from that point will lead to reduced revenue. Low taxes and low govt revenue to me is OK, but when u have a govt that can borrow the way the US can and spend it all without the population feeling any pain, you have created an environment where govt will take full advantage and spend the country to death.

This is what they are doing now and I believe a lot of it has to do with the disconnection between taxes and spending. When I came to this country, I never understood why "tax and spend" was a slur against the democrat. To me that is much preferrable over spend and borrow republicans

You just read the Federal Reserve Bank saying they make "money" from nothing and "monetize" the "money" by buying debt with it.

Can you create silver that way, and use it to make electronic components that work?

But unless and until the government passes legislation decreeing itself to be a liar, it must have enough silver dollars in the Treasury to redeem them all. Now you can say until you're blue in the face that having savings bonds in the Fed's computer is just as good. But the fact is, half a silver dime's worth of Pepsi costs one and a quarter Federal Reserve Notes.

The key to your deception is your attempt to redefine the dollar as something separate from three quarters of an ounce of actual silver. And the Federal Reserve Note is indeed something separate. But a pre-1964 silver dollar is three quarters of an ounce of silver. That's what it is. No silver, no real dollar.

Care to dispute my debit card/credit card analogy? A silver certificate used to guarantee the silver did exist. An FRN guarantees debt exists.
    I do not claim that FRNs are not debt notes. I say they are both debt notes.

I do not claim that FRNs are not debt notes. I say they are both debt notes.
    It is simply not true. The FRN is a debt note. It is a junk bond. A silver certificate was a debit note. It was a claim, a receipt, for a real thing of actual value that actually was held in reserve.

What you say is false. Are you going to address my a silver certificate is as a debit card, an FRN is a credit card analogy, or are you just going to repeat false statements over and over?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.

I am sure you have seen the graph of tax rate to revenue. There is an equilibrum point where cutting taxes from that point will lead to reduced revenue. Low taxes and low govt revenue to me is OK, but when u have a govt that can borrow the way the US can and spend it all without the population feeling any pain, you have created an environment where govt will take full advantage and spend the country to death.

This is what they are doing now and I believe a lot of it has to do with the disconnection between taxes and spending. When I came to this country, I never understood why "tax and spend" was a slur against the democrat. To me that is much preferrable over spend and borrow republicans
    We have not yet reached the point where lower taxes lowers revenue.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Taxes are revenue, and lowering them clearly and obviously lowers revenue. What taxes do not do under our funny "money" system is limit revenue.

Taxes are revenue, and lowering them clearly and obviously lowers revenue. What taxes do not do under our funny "money" system is limit revenue.

If you raise tax rates very far people will leave your jurisdiction or be discouraged from producing as much, if you lower tax rates people will come to your jurisdiction or be encouraged to produce more.

Beyond a certain point (that we are beyond) higher taxes reduce revenue and lower taxes increase it.

Ideally we would lower taxes (and spending) lower than the point where lowering taxes increases revenue but we should at least lower taxes to the point where maximum revenue is achieved.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe if you look at fiscal year which included three months before the tax cuts actually went into effect.

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2019/...S-Tax-Revenues

Why 2018 Was an ‘Unusual Year’ for US Tax Revenues

Federal tax revenues were lower in 2018 than in 2017, reversing a trend of rising revenues seen in recent years, according to U.S. Treasury data tracked by District Economics Group.

DEG’s Diane Lim said that “2018 was an unusual year for tax revenue. Not just because revenue levels dropped so much but because they dropped so much as the economy was growing so strongly.”

Here’s how the two largest categories of tax revenues fared in 2018:

Individual tax receipts totaled $2.593 trillion in the 2018 calendar year, one percent higher than 2017 in nominal terms but about half a percentage point lower on an inflation-adjusted basis.

Corporate tax receipts were lower in both nominal and inflation-adjusted terms, coming in at $233 billion in 2018, down from $316 billion in 2017. That represents a 26 percent drop in revenues on a nominal basis and a 28 percent drop in inflation-adjusted terms.

Maybe if you look at fiscal year which included three months before the tax cuts actually went into effect.

Because you think there are no other factors that affect the economy and revenue?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You think the mechanism he's talking about is instantaneous?

Hell, if capital expects the tax man to flip flop, that mechanism doesn't work at all.

Because you think there are no other factors that affect the economy and revenue?
    True. The growing economy should have led to higher tax revenues. Now if the economy was contracting, you may have a valid explanation. What do you think could have led to lower tax revenues besides the tax cuts? Trump also bragged about higher tariff revenues (which were included in the US Treasury revenue figures).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast