Thread: Family Tree to close up to 390 Family Dollar stores, reports $2.3 billion dollar loss.

Family Tree to close up to 390 Family Dollar stores, reports $2.3 billion dollar loss.

Quote Originally Posted by “CNBC”

• Dollar Tree plans to close 390 Family Dollar stores this year while renovating 1,000 other locations.
    • About 400 stores will get expanded freezer and cooler sections, and it will also rebrand about 200 Family Dollar stores to the Dollar Tree.
    • The company took a $2.73 billion charge against its Family Dollar business during the fourth quarter.

More here
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dollar General kicked their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Dollar General kicked their ass.
    DG also doesn't build stores half a mile apart to compete with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yeah, that wouldn't work, lol. Around here the Dollar Generals seem to be on the outskirts usually 5-10 miles from the nearest grocery store/shopping hub. People tend to use them to save them a little extra time and avoid the traffic at the hubs.

Starbucks does. Near me there is a Starbucks inside a grocery store- and another one twenty feet from their door.

I always wonder, who in their right mind shops at family tree and dollar generals. Their prices are way too high for me

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Starbucks does. Near me there is a Starbucks inside a grocery store- and another one twenty feet from their door.
    That's a little different. There is a McDonalds inside the local Wal-Mart and a full restaurant out in the parking lot. I'm just not thinking there is that big a market for imported crap even at a $1 price per item. I've been in a Dollar Tree before and it really is just a bunch of crap. Good if you want birthday decorations in plenty, but other than that there is not much there.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I always wonder, who in their right mind shops at family tree and dollar generals. Their prices are way too high for me
    You appear to be buying the wrong things there. DG and FD are hard to beat for certain select items, like detergent, cookies, and kitty litter. The Tree is pretty worthless.

I'm sure they get much of their business because they're quick like convenience stores.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-06-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dollar General prices aren't really that outrageous. Especially compared to the convenience store they usually locate next to. Because they are generally just that. A convenience store. I'm sure you can find lower prices at Wal-Mart. But, then you have to deal with the parking, and the crowds and the lack of cashiers.

Their prices are way too high for me
    Ah, you must be one of them high-steppin 5 & dimers...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    And they have started closing 150+ stores as a result. The CEO got caught up in the mindset of growth just for the sake of growth.

Dollar General prices aren't really that outrageous. Especially compared to the convenience store they usually locate next to. Because they are generally just that. A convenience store. I'm sure you can find lower prices at Wal-Mart. But, then you have to deal with the parking, and the crowds and the lack of cashiers.
    I have done price comparison and when you scale it up to the quantity I buy(unit price), dollar tree is slightly more expensive than my kroger store. I bet you that if you give me a list of items you bought at Dollar tree and I will go to my kroger store and buy it for a cheaper price than u.

You appear to be buying the wrong things there. DG and FD to beat for certain select items, like detergent, cookies, and kitty litter. The Tree is pretty worthless.

I'm sure they get much of their business because they're quick like convenience stores.
    Don't have cats, don't eat cookies and I think the only items I have gotten for a cheaper price is their store brand sodas. Thankfully, I don't drink sodas anymore.

I have done price comparison and when you scale it up to the quantity I buy(unit price), dollar tree is slightly more expensive than my kroger store. I bet you that if you give me a list of items you bought at Dollar tree and I will go to my kroger store and buy it for a cheaper price than u.
    Dollar Tree is....a dollar per item. Dollar Tree =/= Dollar General.

So, now that that is out of the way....

I have already said that their prices are higher than the sales you may find at a supermarket. Somethings, as acptulsa pointed out, are actually cheaper. Others are not. As I pointed out they are convenience stores. And they charge slightly more, on most items, for....convenience.

Dollar Tree is....a dollar per item. Dollar Tree =/= Dollar General.

So, now that that is out of the way....

I have already said that their prices are higher than the sales you may find at a supermarket. Somethings, as acptulsa pointed out, are actually cheaper. Others are not. As I pointed out they are convenience stores. And they charge slightly more, on most items, for....convenience.
    Got it

As mentioned, 'they tend to cannibalize themselves' we have 3 stores within about 9 miles ,
    in and extremely low population, on the same street lol.
    They did just close one, I think it's a Dollar Tree, something like that , a subsidiary of FD,
    everything is actually a dollar, that's how the clerks are able to
    quickly quote prices.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That’s not the case here. There are 5 within about a 4 mile radius of my house.

Of course, they are based here.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I buy my shower cleaner and toilet cleaner at DG . I have never seen them cheaper .
    Do something Danke