Thread: Animal Behavior - Leftovers?

Animal Behavior - Leftovers?

So I made an odd observation about my dogs earlier tonight. When I eat dinner, I put down my plate and give them a bit as leftovers. What I noticed is one dog that I have had since he was a young puppy always seems to leave leftovers for the other dog also. The other dog I did not get as a puppy, and she doesnt usually leave leftovers, but she does on occasion.

I am not sure that the dog that leaves leftovers is doing so because he doesnt want the food, or if he is trying to mimic a Learned Behavior from me? Has anyone else experienced dogs leaving leftovers for other dogs?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    alpha-beta relationship?... either that or beta doesn't like your cooking.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

A million years of evolution. If Alpha Dog eats every scrap, soon Alpha Dog has no pack, and is a lone wolf. How much reproducing will he do then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Dogs are smarter than most people think and they are pack animals that value altruism and good relations with pack members, your dog knew he liked it when you shared with him and decided to be nice to the other dog.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

On the other side of the reward/punishment spectrum, notice that when you discipline one, they proceed to take it out on the other...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I've got two cats that live with me and whenever I feed one the other will pull the bowl of food away from the other.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    On the other side of the reward/punishment spectrum, notice that when you discipline one, they proceed to take it out on the other...
    Or one of them will attempt to "help" you discipline the first one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    So I made an odd observation about my dogs earlier tonight. When I eat dinner, I put down my plate and give them a bit as leftovers. What I noticed is one dog that I have had since he was a young puppy always seems to leave leftovers for the other dog also. The other dog I did not get as a puppy, and she doesnt usually leave leftovers, but she does on occasion.

I am not sure that the dog that leaves leftovers is doing so because he doesnt want the food, or if he is trying to mimic a Learned Behavior from me? Has anyone else experienced dogs leaving leftovers for other dogs?
    Multi-animal house.. Dogs have distinct personalities.. aside from instinct..

Two of the dogs like to hide leftovers,, even if symbolically.
    Cassie and Shadow have their own dishes but share them.

One many years ago was caring for a sick puppy he had found,, and carried food from his dish into his doghouse to feed it..

and people call them "dumb animals".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That I have also seen! Animals really are so much smarter than we give them credit for!

What I find so encouraging is when animals make displays of altruism and generous behavior between each other with no real "training" and just letting them take care of each other! Perhaps we should be looking to Man's Best Friend for inspiration of what we could someday become? Balanced between the ability to fight off adversaries, yet, loving unto their own packs?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

If you know dogs, you know people, we just have a lot more baggage.

Marking territories.

FJB

Has anyone else experienced dogs leaving leftovers for other dogs?
    Apparently, every dog I've ever had has been a complete jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    If you know dogs, you know people, we just have a lot more baggage.
    Marking territories.
    I loved that movie as a kid, haven't seen it in forever. Not only the scene above, but the one when he decided to eat the mice.

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    A million years of evolution. If Alpha Dog eats every scrap, soon Alpha Dog has no pack, and is a lone wolf. How much reproducing will he do then?
    What about Lions? Alpha lion eats until it's full. The pack will hunt for more food and the weak will die off.

Maybe those dogs need to work for their food, like the lions do, instead of living off the benevolent hand of DamianTV?

I think your dogs may have a good relation and it’s a mark of affection to give the rest of lunch for the other. May be they are a pair or the other is his child. Dogs have a character like human too.

Yes they do. They have their own personalities and quirks and so many things that we can not even begin to understand because we cant "just ask" them.

I think one learned leaving a bit of food a lot thru my interactions with them. I free-feed both of them in order to build Food Confidence. They eat dog food until they are full, and have learned to stop and control their own eating habits. I have done my best to make sure that neither one of my dogs ever had a fear of not knowing where the next meal is coming from.

At dinner, I leave something on my plate and put some food down for both of them equally and fairly. They are both older dogs, and I think they may have learned to share with each other as a lot of dog behavioral problems come from food.

They are brother and sister, so I couldnt breed them. They came from different litters so I dont really know if they know they are brother and sister, but one thing is for sure, they have bonded with each other.
    1776 > 1984

Yes they do. They have their own personalities and quirks and so many things that we can not even begin to understand because we cant "just ask" them.

I think one learned leaving a bit of food a lot thru my interactions with them. I free-feed both of them in order to build Food Confidence. They eat dog food until they are full, and have learned to stop and control their own eating habits. I have done my best to make sure that neither one of my dogs ever had a fear of not knowing where the next meal is coming from.

At dinner, I leave something on my plate and put some food down for both of them equally and fairly. They are both older dogs, and I think they may have learned to share with each other as a lot of dog behavioral problems come from food.

They are brother and sister, so I couldnt breed them. They came from different litters so I dont really know if they know they are brother and sister, but one thing is for sure, they have bonded with each other.
    One thing to watch out for is that some human food is not good for dogs, I was quite surprised to find out that onions are bad for them as an example.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    One thing to watch out for is that some human food is not good for dogs, I was quite surprised to find out that onions are bad for them as an example.
    Raisins too! Lot of stuff they cant eat because its VERY toxic.

One big thing to watch out for... oddly is GUM! A common sweetener in these sugar free gums is called Xylotol, and it WILL put a dog into seizures. Lot of people do not know that.
    1776 > 1984

For the first time, scientists have proven that dogs automatically imitate humans.

Dogs cannot easily curb this tendency to imitate us, even when the behavior is not in their best interest.

Humans, non-human primates and certain birds automatically imitate individuals within their own species too.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, dogs often shower us with praise. New research has just determined dogs automatically imitate us, even when it is not in their best interest to do so.

The study, published in the latest Proceedings of the Royal Society B, provides the first evidence that dogs copy at least some of our body movements and behaviors in ways that are spontaneous and voluntary.

In other words, they can't really help themselves when it comes to copying people.
    https://www.seeker.com/dogs-automati...766488046.html

If that really is true, shouldnt we be doing our very best to inspire compassionate behaviors? You know... like the OPPOSITE of what so many Pit Bull owners do? Not all, but far too many...
    1776 > 1984

If that really is true, shouldnt we be doing our very best to inspire compassionate behaviors? You know... like the OPPOSITE of what so many Pit Bull owners do? Not all, but far too many...
    Absolutely. They can be some of the best dogs or some of the worst (due to their size and tenacity.) Everyone I know that has Pitty's have very compassionate animals. But, I think this goes for pretty much any animal.