Thread: Trump To Require Colleges To Support Free Speech If They Want Federal Funds

Thumbs up Trump To Require Colleges To Support Free Speech If They Want Federal Funds

President Donald Trump on Saturday announced that he will sign an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech in order to receive federal funding.
    "Today I'm proud to announce that I will be personally signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research dollars," Trump said while speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference near Washington, D.C.
    The president made the announcement moments after inviting Leadership Institute Field Representative Hayden Williams on stage.

Williams, an employee of Campus Reform's parent organization, was punched in the face on February 19 at the University of California-Berkeley while helping a conservative campus group recruit new members.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-federal-funds
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Better idea: eliminate the federal funding.

...but that wouldn't be as useful in terms of fighting the culture war, would it?

...which is what this is about, as opposed to anything relating to liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

...but that wouldn't be as useful in terms of fighting the culture war, would it?

"The ring would give me power of Command. How I would drive the hosts of Mordor, and all men would flock to my banner!"

Scrreeeech!!!!!!

What ?

Its about time someone stood up for free speech.

Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by bv3 View Post
    "The ring would give me power of Command. How I would drive the hosts of Mordor, and all men would flock to my banner!"
    Perhaps the easiest way to end the funding is to get them to decline it?

Congress would not pass a bill to end it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Scrreeeech!!!!!!

What ?

Bravo.
    Free Speech: "The state not prosecuting people for speaking"

Free Speech 2.0: "The state paying colleges taxpayer money to get them to allow the state's political friends to speak more on campus"

And the taxes from the states that help support the funding. Win 4 the states, unis and loss for the feds and supporters of free speech.

Scrreeeech!!!!!!

What ?

Bravo.
    Did he veto the anti BDS bill that the house and senate passed?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    President Donald Trump on Saturday announced that he will sign an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech in order to receive federal funding.
    "Today I'm proud to announce that I will be personally signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research dollars," Trump said while speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference near Washington, D.C.
    The president made the announcement moments after inviting Leadership Institute Field Representative Hayden Williams on stage.

Williams, an employee of Campus Reform's parent organization, was punched in the face on February 19 at the University of California-Berkeley while helping a conservative campus group recruit new members.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-federal-funds
    The person was not even a student or faculty or employee at the school. Nor was the person attacked. Other than occurring on campus, it had nothing to do with the school or its policies.

Free Speech: "The state not prosecuting people for speaking"

Free Speech 2.0: "The state paying colleges taxpayer money to get them to allow the state's political friends to speak more on campus"

How about not paying them if they feel abhorrent to the Constitution, or just let them fund themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Did he veto the anti BDS bill that the house and senate passed?
    bds nol miu tsl

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The person was not even a student or faculty or employee at the school. Nor was the person attacked. Other than occurring on campus, it had nothing to do with the school or its policies.
    Are you trying to claim that Colleges haven't been shutting down free speech or that their actions haven't created the environment that caused the incident?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How about not paying them if they feel abhorrent to the Constitution, or just let them fund themselves?
    There you go.

But, as I said, that isn't being done because the people doing the doing aren't interested in smaller government.

They're interested in using federal carrots to bludgeon their political opponents.

...which is exactly what the other tribe had been doing, when they were last in power.

bds nol miu tsl
    BDS adiro mma. Trump aburo esigbo mmadu.

There you go.

But, as I said, that isn't being done because the people doing the doing aren't interested in smaller government.

They're interested in using federal carrots to bludgeon their political opponents.

...which is exactly what the other tribe had been doing, when they were last in power.
    Is free speech 'blundering oppression' ?

BDS adiro mma. Trump aburo esigbo mmadu.
    aeu ien oem

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is free speech 'blundering oppression' ?
    I don't know what you're alluding to with that quote, but if you're asking me whether free speech is oppressive, the answer is obviously not.

I don't know what you're alluding to with that quote, but if you're asking me whether free speech is oppressive, the answer is obviously not.
    Good.

Good.
    You understand that this proposed policy doesn't further free speech?

You understand that this proposed policy doesn't further free speech?
    No?

No?
    Suppose Bob owns a bar. Bob doesn't allow people to talk about X in his bar.

The federal government offers Bob $1000 to allow people to talk about X in his bar.

Does that promote free speech?

aeu ien oem
    Lol, some people can actually speak and write in more than 1 language, other just use google translate or type in gibbrish

Suppose Bob owns a bar. Bob doesn't allow people to talk about X in his bar.

The federal government offers Bob $1000 to allow people to talk about X in his bar.

Does that promote free speech?
    By Bob, do you mean Hillary Clinton?

I'm big suppotter of Free Speech and this step should be commended. This also opens door for AJ and Coulter to give speeches there if it wasn't already.

That said, what if some MAGA critics abused that right to brainwash impressionable minds with reckless conspiracy theories going around lately (like recent ones painting MAGA as a plant of foreign first lobbies and before that Farenhght9/11 etc) ? There are also various claims about increasing anti-semitic speech at many institutions.

Related

Claim: Conservatives Tucker Carlson, Ann Coulter banned from speaking at CPAC 2019

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Everyone needs to view the st 5 minutes of this video. This is very eye opening what Trump is about to unleash with this new Free speech law

Everyone needs to view the st 5 minutes of this video. This is very eye opening what Trump is about to unleash with this new Free speech law
    Two unrelated things, he makes an assertion that they are related but that is all it is, an assertion.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Free speech! Free speech!

Unless you want to criticize izrael or AIPAC.

:-l
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

https://twitter.com/campusreform/sta...39176224436224

There should be no taxes expended on these in the first place . It is criminal.
    Do something Danke