Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ukrainian Actor Who Plays A President On TV Leads Polls

Ukrainian Actor Who Plays A President On TV Leads Polls

A Ukrainian actor and comedian who portrays the country’s president in a television series is running to be Ukraine’s real president — and a Monday poll shows him leading the incumbent by roughly 5 percentage points.Volodymyr Zelenskiy, 41, is running for president while starring in the popular show “Servant of the People,” and he has the support of 15.4 percent of voters, reported Reuters. Incumbent President Petro Poroshenko has 10.5 percent, and opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko has 8 percent.
    The election is roughly a month away on March 31, reported NBC News.
    Zelenskiy studied law but found success in comedy instead. He has taken an unorthodox approach to campaigning by “selling tickets to gigs at which he parodies many of the politicians he is running against,” according to NBC News. His supporters also tune into his videos on social media, a tactic that’s new in Ukrainian politics.
    Zelenskiy has stated he’s a member of the brand new Servant of the People party, created after the show became a success.

Zelenskiy has said if elected he would speak directly with Putin because he is ready “to negotiate with the devil himself as long as not a single life is lost,” reported NBC News. He has also satirized Putin in numerous comedic skits.

Zelenskiy has pledged to make Ukraine “prosperous” again and has not shied away when others have compared him to U.S. President Donald Trump.
    “We are both from the same industry after all,” he joked when asked if he would negotiate with Trump according to NBC News.
    The unusual candidate has also described himself as “very liberal.”

More at: https://truepundit.com/ukrainian-act...eal-president/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A popular comedian seen as "soft" on Russia and who said he would actually sit down with Vladimir Putin to talk peace looks to upset Ukrainian politics, as he's significantly leading in exit polls during Sunday's presidential elections in Ukraine.
    Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who incidentally played the president on TV as part of his comedy career has according to exit polls cited by the BBC received 30.4% of the vote, with current president Petro Poroshenko second with 17.8%.

"I'm very happy but this is not the final result," Zelenskiy told the BBC moments after after the exit polls were announced, while incumbent Poroshenko, who has led Ukraine since the February 2014 Maidan conflict that toppled former pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych, described the forecast of his defeat as a "harsh lesson".
    Though there have been reports of election violations, President Poroshenko acknowledged Sunday’s presidential election as "free" and having legitimately "met international standards," according to Reuters. The country of 44 million is choosing from a packed field of 39 presidential candidates; however Zlelenksy already very familiar to much of the population through TV has consistently polled as the front runner.
    Ukraine's president will be determined during the April 21 run-off, where Zelensky is projected to beat both Poroshenko and former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. The 41-year-old Zelensky is as pro-EU as much of the rest of the field, but has kept things deliberately light, presenting himself as part-politician, part satirical comic, who has done little to campaign beyond presenting himself as a "common sense" citizen.
    Interestingly, his willingness to speak both Ukrainian and Russian in public forums has made him popular in the Russian-speaking east of the country, according to the BBC, which further reports:
    Mr Zelenskiy is aiming to turn his satirical TV show Servant of the People - in which he portrays an ordinary citizen who becomes president after fighting corruption - into reality.
    He has torn up the rulebook for election campaigning, staging no rallies and few interviews, and appears to have no strong political views apart from a wish to be new and different.
    His extensive use of social media appealed to younger voters.
    It could be Ukrainians are ready for a general calming of tensions over and against Poroshenko's tough anti-Russian and pro-nationalist talk of "Army, Language, Faith" and amid his corruption allegations and a recent scandal involving defense procurement.
    Exit polling suggests Zelenskiy will face president Poroshenko in the 2nd round on April 21. Poroshenko will try to make the newcomer look stupid in TV debates, Zelenskiy will harp on the president's wealth & corruption scandals. @RFERL pic.twitter.com/YjcNUm94Ok
    — Alec Luhn (@ASLuhn) March 31, 2019
    Electing a comedian and political satirist certainly represents broad disillusionment with Ukraine's political elite, which have overseen years of intermittent regional conflict and a stagnant economy. Zelenskiy is seen as a more familiar "common man" and political outsider with no experience, compared to chocolate magnate Poroshenko, who is among Ukrainian's wealthiest people.
    Zelenskiy said on Sunday just after casting his ballot in Kiev "A new life, a normal life is starting." He added his hope for a new political landscape marked by "a life without corruption, without bribes."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ers-exit-polls

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why not a comedian? We opted for a reality TV star. He has certainly been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Why not a comedian? We opted for a reality TV star. He has certainly been entertaining.
    Best President we have had in a long time, maybe they will have similar good fortune.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Best President we have had in a long time, maybe they will have similar good fortune.
    "Best" is questionable. "Least boring"? Definitely.

"Best" is questionable. "Least boring"? Definitely.
    BEST

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

SouthFront
    @southfronteng
    39 sek.
    Comedian Zelensky Leads In Early Results In Ukraine's Presidential Election
    https://southfront.org/comedian-zele...tial-election/

I’m a firm believer in “adverse publicity”, unless it’s something this damaging!

It was recently reported that the fortune of Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko surged nearly a hundredfold in 2018.
    On 31 March 2017, Poroshenko’s reported wealth was some $600,000.
    On 31 March 2018, Poroshenko’s reported fortune totaled some $57 million (95 times as much as a year before).

Around $40.4 million of Poroshenko’s income reportedly came from return on investment in Zurich-based Rothschild Trust Schweiz (a subsidiary of Rothschild Bank AG). The Ukrainian president also earned $14.7 million in profit from the Prime Assets Capital investment fund, while returns on domestic government loan bonds amounted to nearly a million dollars.

Meanwhile, his official paycheck is $12,400.
    The average monthly salary in Ukraine in September 2018 was about $320.

Showman Volodymyr Zelensky is reportedly leading the polls with 30.4%;
    Poroshenko is second with 17.8%;
    With Yulia Tymoshenko third with 14.2%.

The second round to vote for the Ukrainian president is scheduled for 21 April: https://www.rt.com/business/455251-p...dfold-ukraine/

I believe that the Top ranking SBU (Ukrainian Security Service) agent Vasily Prozorov is a liar, but there could be some truth in his statements for the Russian state media.
    After he “escaped” to Russia, Prozorov has said.

The Ukrainian was an accomplice to the MH17 flight disaster over Donbass.
    Not based on any evidence but strictly on “It is my personal opinion and it relies on certain information”.

He also tells about a “torture prison” where inmates get murdered on a regular basis.
    Again no “evidence”, but here he tells that he’s a witness.

Poroshenko controls the intelligence agencies that commit these foul acts.
    Last edited by Firestarter; 04-02-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ukraine's interior ministry on Saturday called on a comedian tipped to become the country's next president and his incumbent rival not to exacerbate tensions ahead of a run-off in a high-stakes election.Nerves are starting to fray as polls show the comic and actor Volodymyr Zelensky easily defeating President Petro Poroshenko for the leadership of a country seen as the biggest frontier between Europe and Russia.
    After the first round of voting -- in which the 41-year-old political novice outshone the 53-year-old president -- the gloves have come off, with the rivals trading barbs and sparring bitterly on television.
    "We are approaching the final phase of the election campaign and the atmosphere in society is tense," Ukraine's deputy interior minister Sergiy Yarovyi said in a statement.
    "The mood of open hostility between the candidates is being stoked," he added, calling on both teams and their supporters not to play dirty.
    "Do not rock the boat ahead of the second-round of voting."
    This week police launched a criminal probe after a video emerged online of Zelensky being hit by a truck.
    The video ended with a line of white powder -- possibly cocaine -- being snorted through a rolled-up bank note, an apparent allegation of drug abuse.
    Zelensky's campaign pointed the finger at Poroshenko's team, which has denied involvement.
    - Trading insults -
    In a testy phone exchange between the rivals broadcast live on television this week, Zelensky refused to debate Poroshenko before next Friday, repeatedly interrupting him.
    He then hung up on the Ukrainian president, leaving Poroshenko speechless.
    Many were taken aback at the sight of a humiliated leader, with his long-time rival Yulia Tymoshenko recording a video address.
    "While fighting for the right to become president , do not destroy the honour and pride of the status of the president," said the former prime minister, who came third in the first round of voting.
    "It's necessary to remain human," she added.
    Poroshenko has called his rival a "clown" and a "puppet" of oligarch Igor Kolomoysky, who owns the channel that broadcasts the entertainer's shows.
    Support for the comedian among voters has doubled to 61 percent since he won the first round on March 31, according to the Rating pollster.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/appeals-restr...141131249.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ukraine's incumbent leader on Sunday warned the country's future was in danger as he failed to lure out a comedian tipped to become the next president into a debate before a high-stakes run-off vote.The actor Volodymyr Zelensky's predictable no-show prompted President Petro Poroshenko to stage a one-man debate at Kiev's Olympic Stadium as several thousand supporters flooded a nearby square.
    Inside, two podiums were set up at the stadium's make-shift press centre and a moderator set down rules in front of journalists.
    Outside the sports arena that seats 70,000 the Ukrainian leader's supporters chanted "Poroshenko" and urged Zelensky to show up.
    With one week to go before the vote, Poroshenko, 53, has been eager to spar with the 41-year-old political novice and accused his rival of avoiding hard-hitting questions.
    He also said he would respect the "choice of the Ukrainian people" if Zelensky were elected president on April 21 but added he was worried for the country's future.
    "I do not like that a presidential campaign in Ukraine looks like a silent movie," Poroshenko said, standing next to Zelensky's empty podium.
    "I must say: Ukraine's fate is in danger," he said at the end of his hour-long appearance.
    Poroshenko has been scrambling to recover lost ground in a bruising campaign as polls show Zelensky easily defeating the incumbent for the leadership of a country locked in a war with Moscow-backed separatists.
    Zelensky, whose political experience is limited to playing a president on TV, has shunned traditional rallies, instead performing satirical shows.
    He however capitalised on frustration over mainstream politics, war with Kremlin-backed rebels, poverty and corruption to defeat Poroshenko in the first round of voting on March 31.
    Support for the comedian among voters has doubled to 61 percent since then, with Poroshenko on 24 percent, according to the Rating pollster.
    The Ukrainian president has touted himself as the only candidate able to stand up to Russian President Vladimir Putin and repeatedly urged the comic to hold several rounds of policy debates.
    Zelensky has said he was ready to debate the Ukrainian president next Friday.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-leade...132621262.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Satire is the lowest form of humor. Ukraine brings shame on themselves, for taking this joker seriously.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Satire is the lowest form of humor. Ukraine brings shame on themselves, for taking this joker seriously.
    Another way to look at it is that this means you could run for office.
    Running for office is just as important as voting, if nobody ran for office then nobody would be able to vote.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In his startling run to become Ukraine's next president, comedian Volodymyr Zelensky has enjoyed a key advantage over his rivals: strong support from the country's Russian-speaking regions.Despite vowing to keep Ukraine on a pro-Western course, Zelensky has polled particularly well in areas of the country where Russian speakers make up large parts of the population.
    A native Russian speaker himself from the central city of Kryvyi Rig, Zelensky appears on track to deal an upset defeat to incumbent Petro Poroshenko in Sunday's second round of voting.
    The political novice will face a slew of challenges, from a stalled economy to continued conflict with Moscow-backed separatists in the east.
    But for supporters in his hometown like Volodymyr Tignyan -- a secondary school teacher who taught Zelensky physics some 25 years ago -- the comedian represents a real chance for change.
    "I hope that when he gets into power everything will change for the better," the 64-year-old told AFP.
    Zelensky was a "conscientious, dedicated and responsible" student, Tignyan said, qualities that should serve him well if he does become Ukraine's next leader.
    The 41-year-old actor, whose only previous political experience is playing the president in a TV show, has largely steered clear of national identity issues.
    That has set him apart from Poroshenko, who has used patriotic slogans and mocked Zelensky's spoken Ukrainian.
    The latest survey projected Zelensky taking 60 percent of Sunday's vote, against 25 percent for Poroshenko.
    In the first round of voting two weeks ago, the comedian took around 30 percent of the vote nationwide -- well ahead of his nearest rivals.
    That gap was larger in Russian-speaking regions of the country, with Zelensky winning 45 percent in Kryvyi Rig.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/russian-speak...093608592.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The presidential candidate and comic actor Volodymyr Zelenskiy is likely to win Ukraine's presidential election, according to an opinion poll published on Tuesday.The poll by the KIIS research firm showed Zelenskiy, a political novice who plays a fictional president in a popular TV series, on 72.2 percent of the vote. Incumbent Petro Poroshenko was on 25.4 percent.
    KIIS polled 2,004 voters in all regions, except annexed Crimea, from April 9 to 14.
    Last week, a poll by Reiting research agency gave Zelenskiy 61 percent of votes and incumbent Petro Poroshenko 24 percent.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/comedian-zele...-business.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Comedian Volodymyr Zelensky and Ukrainian leader Petro Poroshenko on Wednesday finally agreed to a debate to close a presidential campaign that has at times descended into farce.The press teams of both candidates however confirmed the pair would meet on Friday afternoon at the sports arena that seats 70,000 people, ahead of Sunday's decisive second-round vote.

With Zelensky scoring 72 percent support to Poroshenko's 25, according to the most recent opinion poll, this could be the last chance the incumbent has to boost his flagging campaign.
    Until he announced his candidacy at the start of this year, 41-year-old Zelensky's political experience was limited to playing Ukraine's president in a popular TV show.
    On Wednesday, his team was promoting the debate on social media, encouraging the public to be "witness to an event that will go down in the history of Ukraine".
    They said it would be the "largest scale" event of its kind ever staged in the country.
    The two men took drug tests earlier this month, after Zelensky insisted this was a requirement before any debate.
    Poroshenko, 53, has long pressed his opponent to meet him in a debate and a group of Ukrainian news media this week demanded Zelensky hold a press conference to answer their questions.
    But the actor has almost completely eschewed traditional media and campaign events, preferring instead to communicate with voters through social media and comedy shows.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-presi...114337907.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

SouthFront‏ @southfronteng · 1 min.
    Russia Bans Exports Of Oil, Petroleum Products To Ukraine

https://southfront.org/russia-bans-e...ts-to-ukraine/

The comedian who is odds-on favorite in Ukraine's presidential election promised Thursday to hold a nationwide referendum on joining NATO only after building a national consensus on the issue.Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a popular comic actor who's leading in the polls far ahead of President Poroshenko, said "we have clearly chosen our path to Europe."
    But he emphasized the need to secure a solid majority backing the country's prospective membership in the alliance.
    "It's obvious that NATO means security and the military's high level, but I want to unite the country," he told RBC Ukraine website.
    Zelenskiy added that he would appeal to people living in the mostly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine to dispel their negative view of NATO. "I will record daily video appeals to the eastern regions of Ukraine to tell them that NATO isn't a beast that is going to swallow you," he said.

Zelenskiy vowed to make ending hostilities in the east his top priority. In Thursday's interview, he pledged to reach out to people living in the rebel-controlled areas to again make them feel part of Ukraine.
    Poroshenko's government has introduced a sweeping transport blockade of separatist territories, making it extremely difficult for the people living there to receive pensions and other social payments.
    "I very much hope to make these people feel that Ukraine needs them just as much as they need Ukraine," said Zelenskiy, who won nationwide fame for playing the nation's president in a popular TV sitcom. "It would be necessary to take a lot of humanitarian steps."
    Zelenskiy also said he would push for an early parliamentary election. Ukraine's Supreme Rada is controlled by Poroshenko's ruling party, and the next parliamentary election is due at the end of October.
    Zelenskiy said an early parliamentary election of is part of his idea of a "renewal" of the country's ruling elite, but conceded it may take months to make that happen.
    The latest opinion poll released Thursday showed the comedian maintaining a massive lead against Poroshenko. Supporters see Zelenskiy as a man who could tackle the nation's economic woes and corruption, but his opponents point to his lack of political experience.
    The survey, conducted by the Rating agency, shows Zelenskiy with 58% support while Poroshenko has just 22%. The poll of 3,000 people had a margin of error of 1.8 percentage points.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/ukraines-pres...093225736.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    This is hilarious

Last edited by UWDude; 04-18-2019 at 10:51 PM.

A comedian tipped to take over Ukraine's presidency vowed on Friday to dismantle the old political system as he went head-to-head with his incumbent rival in an extraordinary stadium debate before this weekend's vote.Polls show Volodymyr Zelensky, a 41-year-old standup comic with no political experience, handily defeating President Petro Poroshenko in a second-round of voting on Sunday.
    The hour-long debate at Kiev's Olympic Stadium capped a weeks-long sensational campaign in a war-torn country seen as a buffer between the European Union and Russia.
    "I am not a politician," said Zelensky, opening the first and only policy debate of the presidential race.
    "I am just a simple person who has come to break down this system," he added.
    "I am the result of your mistakes and promises," he told the 53-year-old president as the spectators clapped and jeered.
    The television star's bid was initially dismissed as a joke but he leapfrogged establishment candidates amid frustration over corruption, economic trouble and a conflict with Moscow-backed insurgents in the country's east.
    Police said more than 20,000 spectators were in attendance.
    - Theatrics and showmanship -
    At times Poroshenko -- who wore a suit but no tie -- seemed more confident but the consummate showman Zelensky dominated the head-to-head, often putting the Ukrainian leader on the defensive.
    Dressed in a smart suit, Zelensky delivered a strong performance in which he demonstrated his trademark showmanship and a bit of theatrics, flashing victory signs and peppering his speech with catchy slogans.
    At one point he went on one knee in honour of those who died in the war with insurgents, prompting Poroshenko to do the same.
    The rivals opened the debate on a positive note by shaking hands but quickly launched mutual attacks.
    Behind them stood their wives, teams and backers including fatigue-clad servicemen who supported Poroshenko.
    The Ukrainian leader attacked the inexperience of the untested Zelensky and said he tried to be many things to many people.
    "We only have a beautiful, bright sweet wrapper in which everyone can find what he is looking for," said an emotional Poroshenko.
    He slammed Zelensky for avoiding active-duty military service and added he would not be able to stand up to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    "An actor without any experience whatsoever cannot lead a war against an aggressor."
    Poroshenko also zeroed in on Zelensky's ties to controversial tycoon Igor Kolomoysky whose TV channel broadcasts the comedian's shows.
    Zelensky said the self-exiled tycoon would go to jail if he violated any laws.
    - 'Poroshenko lost' -
    Many observers said the comic won the debate.
    "Poroshenko lost," author and producer Illarion Pavliuk said on Facebook. "Whether you like it or not."
    Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova dismissed the event a "circus".
    The debate brought to a close a race that has at times descended into farce as the candidates exchanged insults and underwent drug tests.
    A survey released Thursday showed Zelensky winning 73 percent of the vote against 27 percent for Poroshenko.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/comedian-pres...095258019.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ukraine's new president could regain control over the separatist-controlled east of his country within months and get cheap gas and major investment from Russia if he repairs ties with Moscow, the Kremlin's closest ally in Ukraine said.Viktor Medvedchuk, a prominent figure in Ukraine's Russia-leaning opposition, outlined the prospect in an interview before a presidential election runoff in Ukraine on Sunday which polls show political novice Volodymyr Zelenskiy should easily win.
    He said the Kremlin was keen to know more about Zelenskiy, a 41-year-old Russian-speaking TV comedian who has no political experience, to understand if he is someone it could do a deal with, something it failed to do with incumbent Petro Poroshenko who polls show will be soundly defeated by Zelenskiy.
    "They don't have any expectations in Moscow," he said. "They want to see what happens afterwards, who will be in his (Zelenskiy's) entourage, and what he will do and with whom."
    A Ukrainian citizen, Medvedchuk does not represent Russia, but his words carry weight due to his close friendship with President Vladimir Putin and track record as a go-between between the two nations.
    Medvedchuk said he had known Putin for 19 years, that the Russian leader is godfather to his daughter, and that he had held talks with Putin in Moscow as recently as two weeks ago.
    The Kremlin has made clear it will be glad to see the back of Poroshenko but has not commented on Zelenskiy, saying only that it is watching candidates' statements closely and hopes any new president can implement a peace deal on Donbass, eastern Ukraine, which has been under separatist control since 2014.
    When asked about Medvedchuk's advice for Ukraine's new president on Friday, Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for Putin, said he greatly respected Medvedchuk, calling him "very active" and "important" when it came to his humanitarian work as an intermediary between Moscow and Kiev.
    Peskov, who confirmed Medvedchuk's recent meeting with Putin, said Ukraine didn't need to strike a specific deal with Putin or Moscow, but did need take steps to build mutually beneficial relations with Russia.
    When asked what expectations the Kremlin had of Zelenskiy, Peskov said: "We would always like to hope for the best. Of course we want to hope that the person who is elected Ukraine's president will not be from the party of war. And we want to hope that this person will take a different perspective on relations between Ukraine and Russia.”

Medvedchuk has brokered prisoner exchanges between Russia and Ukraine and held talks in Moscow last month with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev about gas prices.
    At that meeting, he said he and an ally secured a pledge of a 25 percent discount for Russian gas if Kiev agreed to resume direct gas purchases from energy giant Gazprom instead of via European countries as it has done since the end of 2015.
    Russia's main focus is returning separatist-held Donbass to Kiev on its own terms. This could help Moscow win some relief from sanctions imposed by the European Union over its 2014 annexation of Crimea and its backing for the pro-Russian Donbass uprising.

Poroshenko, Ukrainian president for the last five years, balked at what he saw as the unfavorable terms of the so far unimplemented Minsk peace deal agreed at a 2015 summit with Russia, France and Germany. That called for Donbass to be given a special status and for an amnesty for separatist fighters among other things.
    So far, Zelenskiy has said he wants peace in the east and to breathe new life into stalled talks. But he has also said he does not want to implement parts of the Minsk deal either, that Putin should be regarded as "an enemy," and that an information war may be needed to try to win the hearts and minds of people living in Donbass.
    For now, said Medvedchuk, Zelenskiy was on the wrong policy track. But he said there was hope he might alter his stance once elected.
    "Maybe he'll come round to the idea that for the sake of peace you need to do this," said Medvedchuk. "Nobody is talking about having to make concessions or give something back. We're talking about the need to return people and territory."
    Putin might be willing to release 24 captured Ukrainian sailors as a goodwill gesture, Medvedchuk said, adding that billions of dollars of Russian money would flow into Ukraine's economy if economic ties between the two neighbors, which have been disrupted by sanctions, were restored.
    "We're not saying that we have to kiss or hug each other again. We're talking about restoring pragmatic economic relations," he said, adding that Ukraine had lost $20 billion a year in exports to Russia because of Kiev turning its back on Moscow after Russia's actions in 2014.

An agreement on how to implement a peace deal over eastern Ukraine could be reached "within several months" and implemented on the ground within "six to eight months," said Medvedchuk, saying any talks on the matter should be between Kiev, Moscow and the two pro-Russian separatist breakaway territories.
    "We could do it all within a few months. We need to sit down and talk. It (the detail in the Minsk accord) has already been spelt out. We just need to determine the order of doing things."
    Medvedchuk said he would advise Zelenskiy on the subject if asked and that his party, "Opposition Platform - For Life", which is second in the polls, -- would potentially be ready to cooperate with Zelenskiy in parliament after elections in October on a case-by-case basis.
    Zelenskiy has indicated he would not want to form a coalition with Medvedchuk's party and has not said if he would be ready to work together on an ad hoc basis.
    Cold economic logic now dictated the need for a rapprochement with Moscow, said Medvedchuk.
    "If we don't do it and continue with this anti-Russian policy and hysteria our economic life will deteriorate further."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/putin-ally-uk...114929084.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky 'wins presidency'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48007487

21 April 2019

Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky has won a run-off election to become the country's next president, exit polls suggest.

The polls give him more than 70% support. He dominated the first round of voting three weeks ago when 39 candidates were on the ticket.

Mr Zelensky challenged incumbent president Petro Poroshenko.

Ukraine's president holds significant powers over the security, defence and foreign policy of the country.

After voting on Sunday, Mr Zelensky said: "Today it will be the victory of Ukrainians, the victory of Ukraine, and - I hope - the victory of a fair choice."

If polls are correct he will be elected for a five-year term.

The 41-year-old is best known for starring in a political satirical drama in which his character accidentally becomes Ukrainian president.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky 'wins presidency'

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This seems to be bigger historic landmark than MAGA election. US had elected another TV actor before, Reagan (who unfortunately may go down in history as the worst POTUS).

Jewish Comedian Zelensky Wins Ukranian Presidential Election by Landslide

After exit poll showed the comedian won by 73 percent, incumbent Poroshenko concedes defeat in Ukrainian presidential vote
    The Associated Press
    and Reuters Apr 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Ukrainian comedian and presidential candidate Volodymyr Zelensky reacts after the announcement of the first exit poll results in Kiev, on April 21, 2019. AFP

After an exit poll from Ukraine's presidential election showed comedian Volodymyr Zelensky winning with 73 percent of the vote against incumbent Petro Poroshenko, Poroshenko on Sunday conceded he had been soundly defeated.

He said he would be leaving office next month, but that he did not plan to quit politics altogether.
    https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/j...show-1.7151978

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Reagan (who unfortunately may go down in history as the worst POTUS).
    LOL

Not even close even though Shrub Sr. did take control of most of his presidency.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Vladimir Putin has refused to congratulate Ukrainian president-elect Volodymyr Zelensky on his landslide election.
    Speaking with journalists on Monday afternoon, nearly a day after the comedian romped home with 73 per cent of the vote, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said it was “too early” to talk about a phone call to Kiev.

Russia would only open the doors of cooperation after judging “concrete actions” of the new president.
    “We respect the Ukrainian elections, more so that the verdict was very clear,” he said. “But the legitimacy of these elections is still under question given that 3.5 million people were unable to vote.”

Mr Peskov was referring to the estimated populations living in eastern Ukraine’s conflict zone and under the control of Russian-backed armed formations.

In total, nearly 20 million voters took part in Sunday’s vote, with a higher-than-expected turnout at 63 per cent. International observers have described the elections as the cleanest in Ukraine’s history, with only minor violations recorded.

Earlier, the Russian prime minister Dmitry Medvedev warned against expecting an immediate warming of relations. Writing on social media, he said the election of Mr Zelensky was an indication that Ukrainians wanted to take a “common sense” attitude to relations with Russia. But he added that improving cooperation required “honesty and a pragmatic and responsible approach”.
    Over the course of a minimalist election campaign, Mr Zelensky offered few clues about his political thinking.
    But one area where he has been outspoken has been his explicit rejection of the soft ethnic-nationalism pursued by his opponent. Instead, the populist candidate has offered olive branches to the Russian-speaking populations of the southeast. He also suggested that Ukraine needed to be more sympathetic to the people living in the conflict zone in the east.
    That approach seems to have helped him to achieve what no previous president has achieved: transcend traditional voting patterns split east-west on language and identity lines.

More at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8881051.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

With Zelenskiy's victory now all but official, the question shifts to how he will reshape Ukrainian policy after he takes office. In the short term, he won't be able to do much. The Ukrainian parliament, currently led by the Petro Poroshenko Bloc, presents a significant limiter on the power of the presidency. Therefore, Zelenskiy — whose party currently has no parliamentary representation — will find it difficult to push through any significant policy changes at least until parliamentary elections in October, when he will have a chance to build his party's numbers. Any changes Zelenskiy wants to make must also take into account external influence, including a push by the West for policy continuity on economic reforms tied to the country's financial assistance program through the International Monetary Fund.
    Beyond the immediate term, Zelenskiy could shift Ukraine's approach to key issues such as the conflict with Russia-backed separatists in Donbas. Indeed, he has called for a reset of the negotiation process over ending the war in Eastern Ukraine, but faces obstacles to that ambition. Ukraine's Western backers have pushed for a continuation of the Minsk process and Normandy format of negotiations, a step that Zelenskiy's representatives have confirmed a commitment to keeping, meaning the bid to find a resolution to the conflict will face the same constraints.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...enko-zelenskiy

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. Special Envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker has called for direct talks between Ukrainian President-elect Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Russian President Vladimir Putin, UNIAN reported April 23. In the meantime, Zelensky's aides have announced plans to scrap immunity for members of parliament and increase the transparency of military equipment purchases.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...skiy-and-putin

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast