Thread: US/North Korea Summit: Will Trump Win Nobel Peace Prize?

US/North Korea Summit: Will Trump Win Nobel Peace Prize?

US/North Korea Summit: Will Trump Win Nobel Peace Prize?

The Trump/Kim summit begins tomorrow, their second round of meetings. Expectations are high - unrealistic. The neocons and the liberal "resistance" will slam any give-and-take as Trump capitulation. If the war is declared over or significant progress is made, would Trump not be more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than Barack "Bombs Away" Obama?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, but he won a medal for his Wahhabi Curtsey.

Obama got one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

So it was a success because Trump talked to the North koreans? I guess anything can be a success if you have very low standards. I agree with Ron Paul that the US shouldn't even be the ones at the negotiating table. This should have been between North and South korea, the US will not be the one to bring about peace to those 2 nations and nothing will change until our so called leaders realize this

When the talking stops, the shooting starts. There's certainly no harm in trying to end hostilities.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I guess anything can be a success if you have very low standards.

Proof right here, from a "hard-core republican" site, where trump can do absolutely no wrong:

IMG_1677.PNG
    IMG_1678.PNG
    IMG_1679.PNG

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

'Sometimes You Have To Walk' - Trump/Kim Summit A Failure? Whose Fault?

Written by Daniel McAdams
    Thursday February 28, 2019

The media is gloating today over the "failed" Trump/Kim summit. Was the summit really a failure? If so, who is at fault? The media and pundits as usual get it wrong. It was both a success and a failure, but not for the reasons they are reporting. Tune in to today's Liberty Report for our reasoning...

A prize for walking? There are such things...

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Give Rufus T. Firefly a Nobel Peace Prize as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Give Rufus T. Firefly a Nobel Peace Prize as well.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

In the aftermath of the Hanoi Summit, President Trump has been barraged with attempts to undermine his confidence in the good faith of Kim Jong Un and his intentions to deal fairly with the United States in the negotiation process concerning denuclearization and de-escalation of tensions on the Korean Peninsula. One of the primary causes of concern has been a series of reports from NBC News claiming that "commercial" satellite footage shows that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has been engaging in fresh construction at their Sohae Launch Facility in preparation for an alleged missile launch or test.

Not only is the use of the term "commercial" misleading in nature, but analysis of the photos indicates that the activity at the Sohae facility is related to deconstruction. The reports are driven by a number of entities with connections to the Central Intelligence Agency and a number of other special interests which call into credibility both the veracity of the reports and the journalistic integrity of NBC News.
    I. Satellite Footage Of Sohae Launch Facility Is Misrepresented

The NBC report, written by Courtney Kube, Carol E. Lee and Andrea Mitchell, concerns satellite imagery released by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) purported to have been taken on March 2, 2019. The imagery suffers from two defects - the fact that the images show two different facilities being attributed as one by the media, and that the purported construction activity indicates dismantling of the Sohae site rather than fresh additions or repairs. Side by side comparisons of the photos show that they are in fact taken from two different locations. This discrepancy might be apparent to an analyst with knowledge of North Korea's Sohae Launch Facility, but not to an average member of the public.

Analysis of the photos indicates deconstruction for a number of reasons which are outlined below:

• The positioning of the two cranes in the photo is not advantageous for construction of a tower since they cannot efficiently raise material to it from the ground level. The cranes are so close together that their arms are at risk of colliding during construction.
    • The image shows that materials are in fact being moved from the towers into a paved area in the center of the facility where they can be more easily removed by vehicles.
    • Tire skid marks on the pavement in the facility appear to show that vehicles were loaded with heavy materials before leaving rather than entering with large amounts of freightage on board.
    • Buildings at the facility are in a state of partial dismantlement or have otherwise been untouched. If the facility was being rebuilt, all surrounding buildings would be refurbished before work began on the tower.
    • The crane closest to the tower has been outfitted with a shorter arm. This is a strong indication that it is bringing tower segments down to the ground level rather than raising them. The second crane is outfitted with a longer arm to take pieces disassembled by the first crane and lower them to the ground level in the center of the facility where they would be stacked for removal.

The photo even appears to show a flatbed trailer near the central paved area which may have been used for the purpose of removing disassembled materials. The activity in the photos has been totally misrepresented with the intent to cause viewers to interpret the activity as construction. This analysis is consistent with a report from the Washington Post in July 2018 labeling similar behavior at Sohae Satellite Launching Station as dismantling of a rail-mounted processing building.
    Additional footage released by CSIS which was purported to have been taken on March 6, 2019 shows imagery where the photographed facility displays apparent distress or overgrowth on the pavement in the center, while solar glare obstructs an optimally clear view of the buildings that are claimed to be under "construction." Structures that appear in the supposed March 2, 2019 photos are also mysteriously missing less than one week later. Considering the analysis mentioned above, these defects do not create confidence in the veracity of the claims being presented to President Trump and the public.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...aunch-facility

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LRC: Eric Margolis' on Trump’s Fiasco in Hanoi

President Donald Trump’s air trip to Vietnam cost taxpayers $5,695,000 just for the president’s flying Taj Mahal. Plus millions more for his retainers, the presidential limo, hotel rooms, meals, security details and only Ho Chi Minh knows what else. For what? A nice photo op and a cheery dinner … everyone who follows Asian affairs knew in advance that North Korean dynastic strongman (aka king) had no interest or good reason for giving up his nuclear program. The director of US national intelligence, Dan Coates, told Trump as much last week. …

he thought he could flatter the North Korean leader into giving up his nuclear weapons, the only thing that prevents a US invasion of North Korea or a regime change operation. … ‘denuclearizing’ North Korea was always snake oil. The only effective way to reduce Pyongyang’s nuclear arsenal is to engage in patient quid pro quo concessions over years. A better way would be to declare an end to the 1950 Korean War and slowly lift crushing US sanctions … then let South Korea take the lead in rebuilding the North. And, most of all, cease US threats to invade North Korea and/or overthrow the Kim dynasty.

For their part, the North Koreans could demand the US denuclearize the region, removing its nuclear weapons from Japan, South Korea, Guam and the Fifth Fleet. Pyongyang could also insist that the more than 30,000 US troops and air bases in South Korea be removed. These are the true diplomatic issues, not hugs and professions of undying love. President Trump is an amateur diplomat … His `Art of the Deal’ did not work in Hanoi.

Interestingly, the American media didn’t devote much attention to the irony of Trump’s first brush with Vietnam … when his wealthy family secured for him a reported six medical deferments over a tiny foot problem … I enlisted in the army and limped through basic and advanced infantry training with a broken bone in my left foot during the same conflict …

Trump’s insistence that North Korea scrap most or even all of its nuclear weapons in exchange for a moderate lessening of US sanctions looked like a non-starter before Trump left for Hanoi. It’s very likely that arch war-monger John Bolton, who sabotaged previous nuclear deals with Iran and North Korea, played a major role in this fiasco. …
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Seems even less likely now:

INCOMING

17 hours ago
    North Korea Test-Fires Fires Short Range Missiles Into Sea of Japan

REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoo

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff say North Korea launched a number of short-range missiles from the Hodo Penninsula into the Sea of Japan early Saturday morning local time, according to the BBC. The test launch is the first since Pyongyang tested an intercontinental ballistic missile in November 2017. It is also the first test since U.S. President Donald Trump walked out of a summit in Vietnam earlier this year. Last month, North Korea announced that it had tested a yet-unidentified “tactical guided weapon.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/north-...o-sea-of-japan

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    You've got it backwards.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Obama got one so Trump wants one too. Nobel Peace Prize nominations are usually kept secret for 50 years unless the person making the nomination makes it public.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/bar...-asked-n972661

Japan nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize after White House asked, newspaper reports

Just as President Donald Trump claimed last week, Japan's prime minister has, indeed, nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize — at the request of the White House — one of Japan's largest newspapers reported Sunday.

Trump boasted at a news conference on Friday that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had given him a copy of a five-page letter he'd sent to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which selects the annual Peace Prize laureates.

Referring to Abe, Trump said: "He said: 'I have nominated you, respectfully, on behalf of Japan. I am asking them to give you the Nobel Peace Prize.' I said, 'Thank you.'"

The national newspaper Asahi Shimbun, citing multiple Japanese government sources, reported Sunday that the U.S. government "informally" asked Japan to nominate Trump after he met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last year.

At a meeting of the lower house of Japan's parliament on Monday, Abe said he wouldn't comment on the report because Peace Prize nominations are secret for 50 years. But he did say: "I'm not saying it's not true."

Speaking later to reporters, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga gave the same reason for declining to comment, saying: "The Nobel Committee doesn't reveal the identity of those recommending or those recommended for the award for 50 years. And so based on this, I would like to refrain from making comments on this."

The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-prize-report

Japan PM refuses to deny nominating Trump for Nobel prize

The Japanese prime minister has declined to say if he had nominated Donald Trump for the Nobel peace prize, though he emphasised he did not deny doing so.

Trump’s assertion on Friday that Shinzō Abe had nominated him for the honour and sent him a copy of the letter has raised criticism in Japan.

Questioned in parliament about Trump’s claim that he had done so, Abe said: “In light of the Nobel committee’s policy of not disclosing recommenders and nominees for 50 years, I decline to comment.”

Neither the prime minister nor his spokesman denied Trump’s comment.

“I never said I didn’t” nominate him, Abe said in response to a follow-up question by Yuichiro Tamaki, a lawmaker for the opposition Democratic Party for the People.
    More at link.

The two leaders did meet in Singapore- the first face to face meeting between leaders of the two countries- but nothing was actually agreed to.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-05-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Probably not.

North Korea Marks Year of Failed Trump Talks With Missile Test

By Jihye Lee
    March 1, 2020, 10:56 PM EST Updated on March 1, 2020, 11:48 PM EST

• Two unidentified projectiles launched Monday, South Korea says
    • Move comes year after Trump-Kim summit collapsed in Hanoi

North Korea launched two unidentified projectiles off its eastern coast, South Korea’s defense ministry said, a move that comes just after the year anniversary of the failed Hanoi summit between leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump.

The projectiles were launched Monday from an area near the North Korean coastal city of Wonsan, the South Korean defense ministry said, adding that it was “monitoring relevant movements and in a state of preparedness.” North Korea’s most recent missile test was on Nov. 28, one of numerous volleys of short-range ballistic missiles launched by the regime last year.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-02/north-korea-launched-unidentified-projectile-south-korea-says-k79xlyg8