Thread: Campaign 2020: Andrew Yang, Democratic Presidential Candidate

Campaign 2020: Andrew Yang, Democratic Presidential Candidate

https://www.cfr.org/blog/campaign-20...tial-candidate

February 12, 2019

Chances are you haven’t heard of Andrew Yang even though he’s been running for president for more than a year now. By any objective standard, he is the longest of long shots. He has never held political office, he isn’t a celebrity, and while he has been a successful entrepreneur, he isn’t a billionaire who commands media attention. But he is tackling head-on one of the biggest challenges facing American society—what happens when rapid automation eliminates millions of jobs. He says that left unchecked, it “will strain our society beyond repair.” He may well be right. One recent report projected that over the next dozen years as much as one-third of the American workforce may need to find a new occupation. Whether Yang has the right solution for this tsunami of automation is another matter entirely.

The Basics

Name: Andrew Yang

Date of Birth: January 13, 1975

Place of Birth: Schenectady, New York

Religion: Protestant

Political Party: Democratic Party

Marital Status: Married (Evelyn)

Children: Two sons

Alma Mater: Brown University (BA); Columbia University (JD)

Career: Entrepreneur

Campaign Website: https://www.yang2020.com/

Twitter Handle: @AndrewYangVFA

Yang’s Story

Andrew Yang was born and raised in upstate New York. His parents immigrated to the United States from Taiwan in the 1960s. His father worked at IBM and his mother at a local university. He spent his high school years at New Hampshire’s Phillips Exeter Academy, one of America’s top boarding schools and the alma mater for both Franklin Pierce, America’s fourteenth president, and Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Facebook. (Yang is nine years older than Zuckerberg, so they weren’t classmates.)

Yang studied political science and economics at Brown. He then earned his law degree from Columbia University. He gave corporate law a try for a year before deciding it wasn’t for him. He instead decided to be an entrepreneur.

Like many entrepreneurs, Yang had some initial failures. He says these failures taught him “how to build a business from more experienced entrepreneurs.” He found success in 2001 at a health care start-up called MMF Systems Inc. He had a second success with an educational start-up called Manhattan Prep that he founded in 2006. He sold the company three years later, but he stayed on as its president until 2011. Yang then started Venture for America, a fellowship program that seeks to create start-up jobs in cities like Baltimore and Detroit that have been experiencing hard times. Venture for America was featured in the documentary Generation Startup.

The Obama White House named Yang a Champion of Change in 2012. Three years later it made him a Presidential Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship.

Yang’s Announcement

Yang filed the paperwork to run for president back in November 2017. The video announcing his campaign makes clear he is a single-issue candidate. The issue? The future of work. Yang worries that technology will soon make many jobs obsolete, leading to “a country with fewer and fewer opportunities, and a handful of companies and individuals reaping the gains from new technologies while the rest of us struggle to find opportunities and eventually lose our jobs.” To adapt to this new future, Yang wants to provide Americans with a universal basic income. He calls it the Freedom Dividend. He thinks it is the only way to save capitalism from itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhArPPmHjCs

Foreign policy doesn’t get a mention in Yang’s campaign announcement.

Yang’s Message

Yang says he is “running for president to wake up America to the fact that it’s not immigrants or globalization but this technology that is transforming our way of life.” His slogan is “Humanity First.” He believes we are experiencing the “greatest technological shift the world has ever seen” and that “current policies are not equipped to handle this crisis.” Yang argues that automation will do more than eliminate manufacturing jobs. It will eliminate jobs for “retail workers, call center workers, fast-food workers, insurance companies, accounting firms.”

The Freedom Dividend would provide all Americans between the ages of eighteen and sixty-four with one thousand dollars per month. To put the Freedom Dividend to the test, Yang is giving someone in Iowa and someone in New Hampshire one thousand dollars per month in 2019.

Yang’s Foreign Policy Views

Yang says that “my first principles concerning foreign policy are restraint and judgment—we should be very judicious about projecting force and have clear goals that we know we can accomplish.” He in turn has three foreign policy goals: “make it harder for the United States to get involved in foreign engagements with no clear plan or goal”; “rebuild our relationships with allies to strengthen the international order”; and “bring our military spending under control.” Yang doesn’t explain how he would achieve these goals or say what the United States might have to give up in order to achieve them. He does say that he wants to “work with our allies to rebuild our stature in the world, and strengthen alliances such as NATO.”

Yang believes that America’s military involvements overseas have been “misadventures” that “have destabilized parts of the world, made enemies of allies, and resulted in untold human suffering, both for our brave soldiers and civilians of other countries.”

Yang doesn’t think a president should be able to order a nuclear attack on his or her own authority. He prefers a dual-key process in which the “vice president should need to verify any such decision made by the president.”

When it comes to military spending, Yang believes too much of the military budget “is focused on defending against threats from decades ago as opposed to the threats of 2020.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    typical dumb fkery from Silicon Valley.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I saw the highlights of an interview he did on Joe Rogan a few weeks back. Seemed less terrible than every current Democratic candidate. That likely is because he has no chance of winning. But seemed at least semi-sane on economic policy (relative to standard Dem) and FP. Seemed like a pretty positive guy.

He's got no chances against Trump.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    He's got no chances against Trump.
    Or Bernie . Even though he is a whack job he will be the only Dem presidential candidate that I would drink a beer with . I will even buy once he gives me my 1K a month for doing nothing .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Or Bernie . Even though he is a whack job he will be the only Dem presidential candidate that I would drink a beer with . I will even buy once he gives me my 1K a month for doing nothing .
    @Danke.

It looks like Oyarde retains some loyalty to his distant kin from asia, perhaps you can do something about it?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So........Yin is not running ?

https://twitter.com/VibeHi/status/1106187429705338880

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/sta...21038479114240

https://twitter.com/ButMuhRussia/sta...31072774864896

Accelerationism

https://twitter.com/gomez_tella/stat...11663385976832

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/sta...21038479114240

Yang is crazy.
    Violence has occurred in several black churches and Jewish synagogues in the last years. It would be awfully optimistic to think that something similar would not happen to other communities. I am trying to keep the country strong and whole for my kids and yours

We are the most heavily armed country in the history of the world. Everyone knows what I think is ahead. Why would one imagine disintegration to be gentle? It will not be. For any of us.

YangGang 228 views in a week

DangerousMother level of popularity - viral, but not really. I don't think the video plays when embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyD1t1nUSRM

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    @Danke.

It looks like Oyarde retains some loyalty to his distant kin from asia, perhaps you can do something about it?
    Nothing can be done about Oyarde. He would only have a beer with me if it were on my dime.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Nothing can be done about Oyarde. He would only have a beer with me if it were on my dime.
    I think he would pay if you gave him $1K a month for the rest of his life.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Deep Inside A Leftist Troll Farm

https://twitter.com/NickJFuentes/sta...48420574949376

Yang has some good ideas. I particularly like his idea where I get $1000/month in free money.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Yang has some good ideas. I particularly like his idea where I get $1000/month in free money.
    Its like we all get to be a part of the MIC.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

Haven't heard her name in a while. Just checked in to see what she is up to.

Ummm... Really feel like making a nasty comment but I'll let this speak for itself. https://www.instagram.com/julie_boro...d=vw24z79mig0f

Things Are Even Worse Than You Think They Are | Andrew Yang at National Action Network

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.