Thread: Federal prosecutors broke law in Jeffrey Epstein case, judge rules

Federal prosecutors broke law in Jeffrey Epstein case, judge rules

Federal prosecutors, under former Miami U.S. Attorney Alex Acosta, broke the law when they concealed a plea agreement from more than 30 underage victims who had been sexually abused by wealthy New York hedge fund manager Jeffrey Epstein, a federal judge ruled Thursday.
    While the decision marks a victory for crime victims, the federal judge, Kenneth A. Marra, stopped short of overturning Epstein’s plea deal, or issuing an order resolving the case. He instead gave federal prosecutors 15 days to confer with Epstein’s victims and their attorneys to come up with a settlement. The victims did not seek money or damages as part of the suit.
    It’s not clear whether the victims, now in their late 20s and early 30s, can, as part of the settlement, demand that the government prosecute Epstein. But others are calling on the Justice Department to take a new look at the case in the wake of the judge’s ruling.
    “As a legal matter, the non-prosecution agreement entered into by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of Florida does not bind other U.S. Attorneys in other districts. They are free, if they conclude it is appropriate to do so, to bring criminal actions against Mr. Epstein and his co-conspirators,’’ said lawyer David Boies, representing two of Epstein’s victims who claim they were trafficked by Epstein in New York and other areas of the country.

Earlier this month, the Department of Justice announced it was opening a probe of the case in response to calls from three dozen members of Congress. Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Oversight Subcommittee, on Thursday asked the DOJ to also re-open Epstein’s plea deal.

“The fact that it’s taken this long to get this far is heartbreaking and infuriating,’’ said Sasse. “The Department of Justice should use this opportunity to reopen its non-prosecution agreement so that Epstein and anyone else who abused these children are held accountable.”
    Epstein’s lawyer, Martin Weinberg, did not return a call from the Miami Herald.

Brad Edwards, who represents Courtney Wild — Jane Doe No. 1 in the case — said he was elated at the judge’s ruling, but admitted he is troubled that it took 11 years to litigate. He blamed federal prosecutors for needlessly dragging it out when they could have remedied their error after it was brought to their attention in 2008.

“The government aligned themselves with Epstein, working against his victims, for 11 years,’’ Edwards said. “Yes, this is a huge victory, but to make his victims suffer for 11 years, this should not have happened. Instead of admitting what they did, and doing the right thing, they spent 11 years fighting these girls.’’
    Marra, in a 33-page opinion, said prosecutors not only violated the Crime Victims’ Rights Act by not informing the victims, they also misled the girls into believing that the FBI’s sex trafficking case against Epstein was still ongoing — when in fact, prosecutors had secretly closed it after sealing the plea bargain from the public record.

More at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...226577419.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Epstein is such a piece of

He is protected because of his friendship with Billy Clinton, no doubt.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A federal appeals court panel signaled Wednesday that it is strongly inclined to set in motion a process likely to expose more sordid details in the politically charged scandal surrounding Jeffrey Epstein, the wealthy financier and philanthropist whose relatively cushy plea deal on underage-sex charges a decade ago has become a political liability for Labor Secretary Alex Acosta. Sparks flew during arguments before the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan as a lawyer for Virginia Roberts Giuffre, an Epstein accuser, repeatedly reiterated his client’sclaim leveled several years ago that the Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz not only defended Epstein but also had sex with some of the women Epstein victimized.

Giuffre’s attorney Paul Cassell, a former federal judge, told the three-judge panel that his client favored a “broad unsealing” of the records in a suit that Giuffre brought against Ghislaine Maxwell, an Epstein friend accused of helping procure girls for Epstein and others to engage in sexual activity.
    “It will demonstrate Epstein and Maxwell sexually trafficked her to Epstein’s friends, including Alan Dershowitz,” Cassell told the court. “She wants all the documents unsealed substantively.”
    The claim raised tension in the courtroom because Dershowitz, who adamantly denies the allegation, was sitting just feet away in the courtroom gallery. He rose a short time later to pass a note to his attorney and later took up a seat in the well of the courtroom.

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...a-deal-1206753

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Epstein, 64, was a regular for several years at Mar-a-Lago. Testimony in a prior court case indicated that Trump flew at least once on one of the planes Epstein owned and Trump’s phone numbers were in Epstein’s personal phone directory.

Trump has also indicated publicly he knew of Epstein’s interest in “younger” women, although he never suggested the financier crossed any legal lines. “I’ve known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy,’’ Trump told New York Magazine back in 2002. “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ficking-237983

How disrespectful to show up without charts....:facepalm:

Nancy says we need to hang Him so we can find out if he's guilty.

Asked twice in her first press briefing in six weeks whether the job of Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta was in jeopardy, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders pointedly declined to endorse the embattled department head.Acosta — the only Hispanic member of Trump’s Cabinet — has faced sharp criticism for the leniency he showed as a U.S. attorney in Miami to Jeffrey Epstein, an accused sexual predator. Epstein is alleged to have engaged in the sex trafficking of underage girls, yet the plea deal to which he ultimately agreed — and which Acosta brokered — had him admit guilt only on two minor prostitution charges.
    Many details of the case, including the names of others besides Epstein who may have been involved in the trafficking, were sealed as part of the agreement.
    Though that deal was struck 11 years ago, full details have only recently been brought to public attention. The revelations about Epstein, which coincide with the #MeToo movement and a broader conversation about disparities in the criminal justice system, have led to calls for Acosta’s resignation.
    Sanders did little to tamp down speculation about Acosta’s future in the Trump administration. Asked by a reporter if Trump had any “misgivings” about Acosta’s role in the Epstein deal, Sanders said only that the matter was “currently under review.” She added that the White House was “certainly looking at it.”

Asked twice in her first press briefing in six weeks whether the job of Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta was in jeopardy, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders pointedly declined to endorse the embattled department head.
    Acosta — the only Hispanic member of Trump’s Cabinet — has faced sharp criticism for the leniency he showed as a U.S. attorney in Miami to Jeffrey Epstein, an accused sexual predator. Epstein is alleged to have engaged in the sex trafficking of underage girls, yet the plea deal to which he ultimately agreed — and which Acosta brokered — had him admit guilt only on two minor prostitution charges.
    Many details of the case, including the names of others besides Epstein who may have been involved in the trafficking, were sealed as part of the agreement.
    Though that deal was struck 11 years ago, full details have only recently been brought to public attention. The revelations about Epstein, which coincide with the #MeToo movement and a broader conversation about disparities in the criminal justice system, have led to calls for Acosta’s resignation.
    Sanders did little to tamp down speculation about Acosta’s future in the Trump administration. Asked by a reporter if Trump had any “misgivings” about Acosta’s role in the Epstein deal, Sanders said only that the matter was “currently under review.” She added that the White House was “certainly looking at it.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/sarah-sanders...193017150.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Two mystery litigants citing privacy concerns are making a last-ditch bid to keep secret some details in a lawsuit stemming from wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein’s history of paying underage girls for sex.
    Just prior to a court-imposed deadline Tuesday, two anonymous individuals surfaced to object to the unsealing of a key lower-court ruling in the case, as well as various submissions by the parties.

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...awsuit-1229908

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The elderly judge who oversaw the sex trafficking lawsuit related to billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein has died.
    Manhattan-based U.S. District Court Judge Robert Sweet died Sunday at 96 in Idaho, his family announced.

From Politico:
    “The sex trafficking lawsuit that Sweet oversaw pitted one of Epstein’s alleged victims, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, against a longtime friend of Epstein and heir to a newspaper fortune, Ghislaine Maxwell.”
    “All the judges on the panel appeared to favor making some records from the case public soon, but there was some discussion about the process for considering opening all the records.”
    “One question debated at the argument was whether Sweet should oversee that process or whether it should be handed over to another judge. That question is now moot.”
    Coincidentally, Sweet also oversaw the civil lawsuit against disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.
    “The judge has ruled that Kadian Noble, an aspiring actress, can use federal sex trafficking laws to sue the disgraced film producer. Weinstein’s attorneys are appealing to the 2nd Circuit,” Page Six reported earlier this month.

https://www.infowars.com/judge-who-o...ing-case-dies/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

To think Trump alluded that Epstein was a pedophile back in an interview in 2001.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Epstein is such a piece of

He is protected because of his friendship with Billy Clinton, no doubt.
    Bill Clinton still seems to have lot of pull, it appears he got promoted Epstein sweet deal prosecutor Acosta into MAGA cabinet as Labor Sec.

MAMA 2020 faces bigger threats than this scandal but it should not be ignored.
    Recent media coverage. Caution, not all of these validated by MSM yet:

Protestor With Picture Asking "Who Is Jeffrey Epstein?" Interrupts Trump Event

Trump’s labor Sec. broke federal law in sex offender Jeffrey Epstein plea deal, judge says

Alexander Acosta — then a U.S. attorney — violated federal law in Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficking case

Alex Acosta, center, talks with Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., left, and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, after the senators introduced him during his Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions confirmation hearing in Dirksen Building, March 22, 2017. (Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call file photo)

A plea agreement with financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein that Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta had a part in when he was a U.S.attorney violated federal law, a judge ruled Thursday.

Officials with Acosta’s office and the White House had not responded to requests for comment at the time this story was published.
    Florida-based U.S. District Judge Kenneth A. Marra said he reviewed evidence showing that Epstein sexually abused more than 30 underage girls at his Palm Beach mansion and elsewhere.
    “In addition to his own sexual abuse of the victims, Epstein directed other persons to abuse the girls sexually,” the judge wrote. “Epstein used paid employees to find and bring minor girls to him.”
    The judge said Acosta — then the U.S. attorney in Miami — helped Epstein negotiate a non-prosecution agreement, but violated federal law by not properly informing victims about what they were doing.
    The Crime Victims’ Rights Act promises victims that the Justice Department would make its “best efforts” to protect a victim, the filing said. It allows victims the “reasonable right” to confer with the U.S. attorneys handling the case.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/whiteh...eal-judge-says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDPzW9COsU

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime
    Nov. 28, 2018
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...220097825.html

Georgetown’s Capitulation to Radical Islam
    By Joe Kaufman and Jeffrey Epstein

FrontPageMagazine.com Friday, January 06, 2006

While the counter-terror symposium was shunned, an organization associated with violence has been awarded a forum. From February 17 – 19, the Palestine Solidarity Movement (PSM), an activist group that has expressed its willingness to work with Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, will be holding its “Fifth Annual Divestment Conference” on Georgetown University’s campus. At past events, shouts of “Kill the Jews” and “Death to Israel” could be heard amongst the crowd. And according to a news report, during PSM’s last conference, when a resolution to condemn terrorism was voted down, “the delegates erupted in cheers.”
    When PSM announced its event, it’s interesting to see who they sent a press release to. A site that devotes a page to the release, Palestine Monitor, is said by one source to be a “PRO-TERRORIST SITE.” This is easy to understand, as the website contains numerous pages glorifying the Intifada (uprising) against Israel. Another location that prominently displays the press release is Ramallah Online, a hate site that equates the Jewish Star (Star of David) with the Nazi Swastika.
    Not wanting to anger its on-campus insurgency, the university has remained hush about the event. The consideration of a small matter of money may also be on Georgetown’s mind. The PSM conference is coming on the heels of a $20 million donation to the school, given by a fairly effluent Saudi sheikh, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal. This is the same sheikh who had previously donated $27 million to a telethon that raised money for the families of suicide bombers.
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=3398EF71-9067-4C86-88D2-9A8AD51427A5

Judge: Top Trump Official Went Easy on Billionaire Sex Trafficker
    A judge isn’t letting Alexander Acosta get away with Jeffrey Epstein’s sweetheart deal..

http://milnenews.com/2018/11/30/jeff...t-other-girls/

[IMG]https://********************************/2013/08/25-1n007-epstein1-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all[/IMG]

https://twitter.com/kbq225/status/1132660591527714816

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mossad has the dirt on all of them. DC runs on blackmail.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Mossad has the dirt on all of them. DC runs on blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Seems you took that my post a bit personally, Osama.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Seems you took that my post a bit personally, Osama.

A federal appeals court in New York has ordered the unsealing of up to 2,000 pages of judicial documents related to sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein and his alleged accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell in a Wednesday ruling.

The U.S. Court of Appeals decided that a lower district court was mistaken when it sealed the case and essentially provided cover for Epstein, Maxwell and others mentioned in the lawsuit.
    “The District Court failed to review the documents individually and produce ‘specific, on‐the‐record findings that sealing is necessary to preserve higher values.’ Instead, the District Court made generalized statements about the record as a whole. This … was legal error,’’ the appeals court wrote.
    “When faithfully observing its best traditions, the print and electronic media ‘contributes to public understanding of the rule of law’ and ‘validates [its] claim of functioning as surrogates for the public.’ At the same time, the media does the public a profound disservice when it reports on parties’ allegations uncritically,’’ the ruling stated.
    The Miami Herald was joined by other news agencies such as the New York Times and Washington Post in filing a brief to the court requesting that the files be released to the public. Others calling for the release of documents included blogger Michael Cernovich and attorney Alan Dershowitz, who is representing Epstein.

“We continue to believe that justice was not well served by the secrecy cloaking nearly every aspect of Mr. Epstein’s alleged sex crimes,” said Casey Frank, who works as senior editor for investigations with the Miami Herald. “We are all better off when allegations as serious as those against Mr. Epstein are held up to the light rather than buried.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/court-...l-be-unsealed/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment