Thread: Beware of Using Young People's Blood to Halt Aging, FDA Says

Beware of Using Young People's Blood to Halt Aging, FDA Says

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...aging-fda-says

February 19, 2019

Taking a young person’s plasma and infusing it into an older person to ward off aging -- a therapy that’s fascinated some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley -- has no proven clinical benefit, the Food and Drug Administration said.

The agency issued a safety alert on Tuesday about the infusion of plasma from young donors for the prevention of conditions such as aging or memory loss, or for the treatment of such conditions as dementia, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease or post‐traumatic stress disorder.

“There is no proven clinical benefit of infusion of plasma from young donors to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent these conditions, and there are risks associated with the use of any plasma product,” the FDA said in a statement from Commissioner Scott Gottlieb and Peter Marks, head of the agency’s biologics center.

The idea of infusing young blood to fight aging has attracted technology entrepreneurs like billionaire Peter Thiel and was lampooned in a 2017 episode of the HBO show “Silicon Valley.” Thiel’s reported interest was sparked by a company called Ambrosia, which has locations in five states across the U.S. and sells one liter of blood plasma from donors between the ages of 16 and 25 for $8,000, according to its website.

Ambrosia’s website was updated Tuesday to say it has “ceased patient treatments” in compliance with the FDA’s advisory.

Gottlieb and Marks said none of the plasma treatments has gone through the rigorous testing required by the agency. Ambrosia says “experiments in mice called parabiosis provided the inspiration to deliver treatments with young plasma.” The FDA approval typically requires human trials before companies can make a specific health claim about a product.

“The reported uses of these products should not be assumed to be safe or effective,” Gottlieb and Marks said. “We strongly discourage consumers from pursing this therapy outside of clinical trials under appropriate institutional review board and regulatory oversight.”

Plasma, the liquid portion of blood, contains proteins to help the blood clot. Plasma infusion is an approved use by the FDA in trauma settings or in patients whose blood doesn’t coagulate. But, the FDA says, there are risks, including allergic reactions, circulatory overload, lung injury and infectious disease transmission.

“We’re concerned that some patients are being preyed upon by unscrupulous actors touting treatments of plasma from young donors as cures and remedies,” Gottlieb and Marks said. “Such treatments have no proven clinical benefits for the uses for which these clinics are advertising them, and are potentially harmful.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They don't want to share.

That's OK with me, I don't want any.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The longer I live the sooner I want to expire. I have no interest in prolonging life. The entire world will soon be a chithole.

Damn, now blood boys will be illegal? Now it will go underground and there will be a black market...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Tell me this is not a form of vampirism,

Guess Danke is off the hook , maybe whatever old lady has him chained up will release him .
    Do something Danke

Less than a year after the FDA warned old people against infusing the blood of young people, Stanford graduate Jesse Karmazin says his company, Ambrosia, is back in business despite the agency issuing a 'buyer beware,' according to OneZero.

Jesse Karmazin, the CEO and founder of Ambrosia, told OneZero in an interview that the company had resumed giving customers transfusions of plasma, the colorless liquid part of the blood, from young donors about a month ago. “Our patients really want the treatment,” he said. “Patients are receiving plasma transfusions from donors ages 16 to 25 again.” One-liter transfusions cost $8,000, and two-liter transfusions are $12,000. -OneZero
    Karmazin, who isn't a licensed medical practitioner, stopped treating patients following the FDA announcement earlier this year and disabled his website.
    Now, young blood is back on the market - you just have to get it "off-label," meaning a doctor can prescribe it for something other than its approved use.

Karmazin is a graduate of Stanford Medical School but does not have a license to practice medicine and does not do the transfusions himself. Instead, he contracts with doctors to do the procedures. When asked, he would not name any doctors he works with or other Ambrosia employees. He says the company does not obtain blood directly from young donors but gets it from licensed blood banks in the United States. -OneZero
    "We’re a company interested in making you young again," he said at a 2017 conference. The company says that "experiments in mice called parabiosis provided the inspiration to deliver treatments with young plasma."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/health/old...ns-blood-again
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Probably have better results with Dragon's blood...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon-blood-trees.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	7201

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_blood

Product Antioxidant content in mmol/100g
    Blueberries 9.4
    Chocolate, dark
    chocolate,Columbian singel
    origin with cacao nibs, 70%
    cocoa
    Coffee beans, roasted (black) 22.29
    Sangre de drago (Croton
    lechleri)

https://static-content.springer.com/...MOESM1_ESM.PDF

Or you could just ground yourself for free to get handfuls of antioxidants.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't need young peoples blood because I'm already young.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge