Thread: Could Ron have successfully vetoed all spending?

Could Ron have successfully vetoed all spending?

I believe he has said that the least he could do, without being thrown out, was bring the troops home and veto all spending.

But if congress comes back with veto-proof majorities, could he even stop the spending?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He would have been overridden and they would not have given him an inch.

That might have been instructive to the voters......................................or maybe not.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He would have been overridden and they would not have given him an inch.

That might have been instructive to the voters......................................or maybe not.
    And what about bringing the troops home? Does congress have any similar mechanism to veto that? Or would they just impeach/25A?

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    And what about bringing the troops home? Does congress have any similar mechanism to veto that? Or would they just impeach/25A?
    The can't veto that and if he chose his cabinet well the 25thA would be out as well but impeachment or assassination would be very real dangers.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He could not unless he also had a supermajority in the House to uphold the veto. He could probably bring the troops home because there is no official declaration of war.

The best he could do is force Congress to do its job. Which is somewhat like what Trump is doing.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    He could not unless he also had a supermajority in the House to uphold the veto. He could probably bring the troops home because there is no official declaration of war.

The best he could do is force Congress to do its job. Which is somewhat like what Trump is doing.
    He would only need 1/3 +1 of either the House or the Senate to prevent an override but I doubt he would have had that either.

Everything else you said is correct however.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I believe he has said that the least he could do, without being thrown out, was bring the troops home and veto all spending.

But if congress comes back with veto-proof majorities, could he even stop the spending?
    Those two things are certain and why I voted for him.
    Do something Danke

On the other hand, if he vetoed all spending, there would be zero dollars to bring any troops home. And zero dollars pay for them to stay there. They would be abandoned and on their own. Also no money for anyone to guard the border or deal with any crime. With no money for federal prisons, all the prisoners would have to be released.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.