Thread: Making toast exposes people to more toxic air pollution than heavy car traffic

Exclamation Making toast exposes people to more toxic air pollution than heavy car traffic

Revealed: Revealed: Making toast exposes people to more toxic air pollution than standing at a busy traffic junction

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-junction.html

Toasters release toxic particles into the air from the moment they are turned on
    University of Texas researchers found safest way to heat bread is to 'go for gold'
    Scented candles, wood-burning stoves and gas cookers also release pollution

By FAITH RIDLER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 08:17 EST, 17 February 2019 | UPDATED: 12:00 EST, 17 February 2019

Burnt toast could expose households to more toxic air pollution than if they were standing near a busy road, a study has revealed.

Scientists said toasters, alongside scented candles, wood-burning stoves, and gas cookers, could create pollution as people cook and clean inside their homes.

A study by the University of Texas at Austin found that toasters release toxic particles into the air from the moment they are turned on, the Sunday Times reported.

The safest way to make the breakfast food is to 'go for gold' and only allow the bread to become a light brown colour, experts said.

Speaking at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Marina Vance said: 'When you make toast, the heating element starts warming up the debris and gunk in the toaster which includes oils.

'Add to that the bread itself - it's going to emit a range of things. We found ethanol, a by-product of yeast. If there's tiny pieces of bread touching the heating element you can see from the smoke, maybe from the crumbs at the bottom of the toaster - they will all make a lot of particles.

'It's led to what would be considered "very unhealthy" air pollution levels compared to the outdoor air quality standards.'

The research team used advanced sensors and cameras to monitor the indoor air quality of a 1,200-square-foot manufactured home on the University of Texas at Austin campus.

Over the course of a month, the researchers conducted a variety of daily household activities, including cooking a full Thanksgiving dinner in the middle of the summer.

The experiment's results are still pending, but Ms Vance said it is apparent homes need to be well ventilated while cooking and cleaning.

Even basic tasks like boiling water over a stove top flame could contribute to high levels of gaseous air pollutants and suspended particulates, damaging health.

Scientists noticed a surprising surge of toxic particles and chemicals when household cleaning sprays, scented candles and wood-burning stoves were used.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends no more than 25 micrograms of fine particulates per cubic metre should be found in the air.

This is far less than the 3,000 to 4,000 particulate levels which were found in the atmosphere when toast was allowed to turn dark brown.

Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from products such as shampoo, perfume, hairsprays and cleaning solutions are said to eventually make their way outside.

These have been blamed for triggering asthma in children and worsening it in adults - and raising the risk of heart disease.

VOCs also contribute to fine particle formation on a massive scale - making up an even greater source of global atmospheric air pollution than cars and lorries.

Ms Vance, a mechanical engineer at the University of Colorado Boulder, said: 'Homes have never been considered an important source of outdoor air pollution and the moment is right to start exploring that.

'We wanted to know: How do basic activities like cooking and cleaning change the chemistry of a house?'

Breathing in VOCs can inflame the eyes, nose and throat, cause difficulty breathing and nausea and damage the central nervous system.

Carpets, vinyl flooring, paint, heating and cooking fuel also cloud households with them. The problem is worst in homes built in the past 20 years thanks to 'green' rules that require energy-efficient impermeable glazing and insulation.

This means such homes do not breathe - and nor do older ones boosted to meet new standards.

Air pollution causes about 40,000 Britons to die each year, according to studies by the Royal College of Physicians and Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

Evidence also shows air pollution causes more than six million sick days and costs an annual £22.6 billion in terms of ill health and disability - such as heart disease and lung conditions
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So are you running your toaster all day?

Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from products such as shampoo, perfume, hairsprays and cleaning solutions are said to eventually make their way outside.

These have been blamed for triggering asthma in children and worsening it in adults - and raising the risk of heart disease.
    How many gallons of shampoo do you use in a day that it pollutes the outside air of your home?

Daily Mail daily clickbait article.

loveshiscountry

Aren't toasters like space heaters without the fan? A heated wire.

See? We need smart toasters that look at the bread and know when to shut down when it's golden colored.

Everything is bad for us AND WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

Someday.

Need a new government agency, Dept of Golden Toast to protect you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

We need a Toast Tax QUICK.

Wood gasifying stoves or furnaces are very efficient and do not pollute. I found when I was living in the camper while working on my other home, that I could make toast on the stove with a covered frying pan. Recently we have had garlic bread made that way a few times. I put the frying pan on the stove with a cover, slice a grinder roll dividing top and bottom, put the non sliced side down, put butter on the sliced side, after a few minutes flip it over. Once the bread has the color and texture I want, flip it again, sprinkle granulated garlic on it and it is delicious. Worth dying for.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Smart Appliances will submit 'Slice Reports' you'll
    get a tax credit if you average less than 9 slices on per month ,
    Married, filing jointly.
    -
    Burnt Rye emits more CO2 than Whole Wheat, .013 cent surcharge per slice
    shall be added to your Property Tax Bill.
    -
    Smart Toaster default settings
    prevent them from 'toasting' Sourdough and White Bread,
    as they are considered racist.

Where is powdered toast man when we need him the most, maaannnnn?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    See? We need smart toasters that look at the bread and know when to shut down when it's golden colored.
    With a camera so we can stream our toast experience to youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post

For my side-dish bread salad, to the stove, where two HD cameras placed at head level — part of GE’s Kitchen Hub, a TV-sized touchscreen and vent that sit right above a range — are capturing every aspect of meal prep. On one forward-facing camera, I could live chat with friends or talk through the steps of the recipe to my YouTube followers if I had any; from the direct-overhead camera, I could take images of the food while it’s in prep mode. The hub can also do things like connect to Netflix or Spotify and dim the lights throughout my home via Google Assistant, that is, if I didn’t already have KitchenAid’s Smart Display, which also provides house-dimming, playlist summoning, and YouTube streaming through Google Assistant. (The KitchenAid display, though, is specifically designed to be waterproof, accommodating messy cooks.)

Through the Kitchen Hub, I share photos of the in-progress chicken and my messy stove top direct to Instagram....
    https://www.eater.com/2019/1/8/18173...sung-whirlpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Everything is bad for us AND WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

Someday.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Everything "causes cancer", the solution is not to give up everything but to improve your body's repair system.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Daily Mail daily clickbait article.
    Be nice if I could dismiss it as easily.

Fact is, studies just like this are used by the regulatory state to oppress us.

Just goes to show, heavy traffic pollution isn't so bad after all.

Another dark toast man,, living in a warm bread world.

and after everything,, to be killed by toast.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Everything "causes cancer", the solution is not to give up everything but to improve your body's repair system.
    ''You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again.''

-
    My understanding is that cancer is always lurking in our systems looking to bust out, but like you
    say, it' our 'repair system' that staves it off.

''let food be your medicine , let your medicine be your food'' something like that...........

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone have any good eco-friendly toasters they can recommend?

(must be made in America)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

If someone makes a playlist for their toaster, this song should be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.