Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If new cars are so safe, why are traffic fatalities increasing?

Exclamation If new cars are so safe, why are traffic fatalities increasing?

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaafe New Cars?

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...aafe-new-cars/

By eric - February 14, 2019

If cars are so much saaaaaaaaaaaafer than they used to be – courtesy of the beneficence of the federal government – how come fatalities are increasing rather than decreasing?

It’s another one of those awkward questions (like the ones about rivers of molten steel in the basement ruins of the Trade Center Towers) that no one seems to want to ask . . . probably because the answers don’t jibe with the conventions.

Or – in this case – the regulations.

About 40,000 people died in car crashes last year.

2018 was also the third year in a row that fatalities increased.

Curiously, that’s roughly the same interval of time during which the most aggressive – the most pre-emptive – saaaaaaaaaaaafety systems have been mandated or otherwise become fairly common in new cars.

For example, automated emergency braking and “lane keep assist” – which prods the inattentive driver with beeps if he allows the car to wander out of its lane; in some cases, countersteering to get the car back in its lane. Also “pedestrian detection” and back-up cameras (with buzzers) intended to prevent pedestrians and so on from being struck or run over by not-paying-attention drivers.

And that probably accounts for it. The uptick in motor vehicle fatalities.

Drivers are paying less and less attention to driving because cars are taking over more and more of the driving.

This is deliberate policy; the premise being that people can’t be trusted to drive attentively and competently, so let’s let the cars take over.

But these peremptory saaaaaaaaaafety systems have incentivized inattention. Why not take your eyes off the road – and send that text – when you have been told you can depend on the car stopping itself if the car ahead of you suddenly slows down?

Or so you hope.

Another problem with all these saaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety systems is that – just like us – they are not infallible, even when they are paying attention.

In some ways, they are more fallible than we are – and so double-down on the problem.

Automated braking, adapative cruise control and blind spot/pedestrian detection systems, for example, depend on proximity sensors to detect an object (or vehicle) in the path of the car. But the proximity sensors are mounted outside the car – where they are exposed to acuity-occluding phenomena such as mud splashed on them, or ice or snow covering them.

A driver who assumes they can still “see” – and that the car will brake – may be in for an expensive (and possibly worse) lesson.

Back-up cameras have a limited field of vision, even when the cameras can see. They haven’t got the depth perception a healthy human eye has. They lack peripheral vision, too.

Who is more to blame? The not-paying-attention driver? Or the technology which encourages him to not pay attention? These systems are sold as adjuncts to driving – and there are typically layers of lawyered-up warnings and cautions urging the driver to pay full time attention.

But the fact remains:

These systems encourage inattention and passivity behind the wheel.

Both of which result in delayed reactions to situations that demand immediate attention.

The time it takes for a developing problem to register in the brain of a driver who was looking at or thinking about some other thing – plus the time it takes for him to decide what to do – and then do it – can be the difference between a fatality and a close call.

Automated systems aren’t smart, either.

They are merely programmed.

If a new variable is introduced which the programming didn’t anticipate, the system can’t compensate. Hit the dog that just ran in the road? Or the kid on the side of the road, if you (or the car’s programming) decides to swerve to avoid the dog.

A compounding problem – which raises yet another question almost no one seems interested in asking, probably because of the answer – is the ubiquity of distracting gadgets inside cars, especially the operational equivalent of the cell phones people are told not to use while driving.

People are ticketed for texting and driving – but in the bizarro world that is the United States, it’s ok to tap/swipe/scroll through the Moby Dick-like menu of apps and “info” and other such that are built into literally almost every new car, even the least expensive new models.

In several new cars – the Tesla S and Model 3 and the new Prius hybrid, for example – there are almost no physical/tactile controls that can be manipulated by touch – without having to look – in order to perform basic and necessary adjustments such as turning on the defroster or increasing/decreasing the heat. Everything is on the flat screen – which you have to look at because you can’t operate it by feel.

And in the Prius – and Teslas – the huge LCD touchscreen is mounted in the center of the dashboard – so the driver has to look to his right – and thus, the road is no longer in his line of sight.

Physical controls for things like the AC and heater are still common – but they’re becoming less and less so with each new model years as the car companies practically step on one another to be the first to offer all-touchscreen or mostly touchscreen interfaces in their cars.

Uncle approves – or at least, doesn’t forbid.

Which brings up the real question: If Uncle is so very concerned about our saaaaaaaaaaaaaafety, why doesn’t Uncle incentivize attentive driving? Discourage passivity behind the wheel?

The answer – which is certain to bring up more uncomfortable questions – is that Uncle’s true agenda isn’t saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety but control.

The less control we have over our cars, the more control Uncle has over us.

The body count is incidental. They are the “eggs” which are necessary to break in order to make the “omelettes.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't forget to allow for more cars on the road.

We need more citations, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    When we get forced into driverless cars it will still be 40,000/year, but
    no one will be to blame.
    Can't lock up the software, can't stop hackers, can't fix 'stupid' .

I notice that the dash panels of the most expensive and fastest of "supercars" still use mostly all buttons, knobs and switches for vital controls.

Tactile, with positive feedback, that can be adjusted without looking at them and taking your eyes off the road, which in any of these cars, could be going by you at over 200 MPH.

2019 Lamborghini Aventador

2019 Ferrari LaFerrari

2019 Bugatti Chiron

2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio

2019 Dodge Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

You beat me to it, if cars are more safe? what a click baity title. Yes, cars are without a doubt safer now. You can look at the private sector rating system "consumer report" and read their articles of car safety.

A compounding problem – which raises yet another question almost no one seems interested in asking, probably because of the answer – is the ubiquity of distracting gadgets inside cars, especially the operational equivalent of the cell phones people are told not to use while driving.

People are ticketed for texting and driving – but in the bizarro world that is the United States, it’s ok to tap/swipe/scroll through the Moby Dick-like menu of apps and “info” and other such that are built into literally almost every new car, even the least expensive new models.

In several new cars – the Tesla S and Model 3 and the new Prius hybrid, for example – there are almost no physical/tactile controls that can be manipulated by touch – without having to look – in order to perform basic and necessary adjustments such as turning on the defroster or increasing/decreasing the heat. Everything is on the flat screen – which you have to look at because you can’t operate it by feel.

And in the Prius – and Teslas – the huge LCD touchscreen is mounted in the center of the dashboard – so the driver has to look to his right – and thus, the road is no longer in his line of sight.

Physical controls for things like the AC and heater are still common – but they’re becoming less and less so with each new model years as the car companies practically step on one another to be the first to offer all-touchscreen or mostly touchscreen interfaces in their cars.
    All very true. And it doesn’t have to be those specific vehicles. Many modern vehicles no longer have controls that can simply be used by touch and memory. Are the headlights on? Search around for the headlight control knob and try to figure out if it is in the “off/auto/on” position. Windshield wipers? Which direction to twist the multiple controls on the arm? And does it go up or down turn on/off or faster?

Forget about trying to set heat/cool/fan/defrost controls without looking.

Then you can start to figure out the nav/audio/Bluetooth/phone settings on the touchscreen. How do you get back to nav? Good luck. You might have to call India for technical support, if you can figure out how to get the phone to connect via “hands free”.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

My take is that 90% of the fatalities WOULD BE avoided if people
    weren't driving like aggressive asfks , and aggressive drivers weren't trying to
    prove to everyone else how poorly they are driving.
    Instead of changing lanes or slowing down they turn dangerous
    situations into fatalities, then pretend they couldn't slow down
    in time or stop.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why are there more cars on the road?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    This.

I see people everyday going 63 in a 60 and they dont get pulled over.

We need to enforce current laws before making new ones
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Several reasons. More people. More online shopping means more delivery vehicles. Uber and Lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I notice that the dash panels of the most expensive and fastest of "supercars" still use mostly all buttons, knobs and switches for vital controls.

Tactile, with positive feedback, that can be adjusted without looking at them and taking your eyes off the road, which in any of these cars, could be going by you at over 200 MPH.

2019 Lamborghini Aventador

2019 Ferrari LaFerrari

2019 Bugatti Chiron

No one should be forced to go through life without owning at least one of these.

Bird Box challenge.

Progress!

Notice how your graphs stop right at the beginning of the three-year period the OP talks about.

And in that last year or two of your graphs you can see the reversal of the downward trend of prior to that.

Several reasons. More people. More online shopping means more delivery vehicles. Uber and Lift.
    Yes, more people. And why more people? We all know the answer to that.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, more people. And why more people? We all know the answer to that.
    If we don't import more people we all gonna die.

I haven't driven either of those, but the radio is the same thing. You can't just reach over and grab the knob to change the station or adjust the volume. I hate those stupid screens.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I haven't driven either of those, but the radio is the same thing. You can't just reach over and grab the knob to change the station or adjust the volume. I hate those stupid screens.
    You would be really old if you remembered auto radios with five big rectangular push controls along the bottom for your favorite stations.

I’ll tell you why there are more fatalities: People move way out so they can buy big houses near nothing. They stay up too late on the internet or watching TV. They get up late. They leave work later than it takes to get to work. They aren’t quite ready, so they finish dressing/shaving/putting on makeup in the car. They plant their cell phones on their ears or text like mad postponing meetings and blah, blah, blah, all the while expecting the rest of the world to get out of their way. They are pissed off by the time they get to town and are aggressive as all get out. They speed, tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, and run lights and stop signs.

The next thing you know, they have killed a pregnant mom or a family of five.

That’s the problem.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    If we don't import more people we all gonna die.
    The pyramid must grow (until it collapses).

You would be really old if you remembered auto radios with five big rectangular push controls along the bottom for your favorite stations.
    Of course I remember those. To preset, you pulled it out then pushed it in.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You beat me to it, if cars are more safe? what a click baity title. Yes, cars are without a doubt safer now. You can look at the private sector rating system "consumer report" and read their articles of car safety.
    Traffic fatalities normed by miles driven are increasing.

Never said cars were not safer.

What I, and Eric, are saying, is that if new cars have been festooned with ten times more safety equipment, why are they not tens times safer?

Why are they getting less safe?

The whole purpose of the article is to call into question diminishing returns on safety, and "safety" features that actually conspire to make you less safe.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-14-2019 at 02:49 PM.

And the importation of people who never drove before moving to the US are an additional problem.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or a small metallic button near your left foot that controlled the high/low beams.

I have hated all the controls mounted on a turn signal for decades now.

This stupid touchpad nonsense is the logical progression, as it is few cents cheaper to control these functions that way, rather than with heavy gauge wiring running to actual relays.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    And the importation of people who never drove before moving to the US are an additional problem.
    This.

Been stuck behind some idiot, waterhead Somali over in Maine on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Coming to a dead stop in the fast lane on a 10 lane freeway because you missed your off-ramp is perfectly safe.

(If everyone is driving at a safe speed of 15 mph).

I drove a ramcharger around for about a decade. Talk about feeling safe.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

This.

Been stuck behind some idiot, waterhead Somali over in Maine on more than one occasion.
    Nigerians are worse.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Or a small metallic button near your left foot that controlled the high/low beams.

I have hated all the controls mounted on a turn signal for decades now.

This stupid touchpad nonsense is the logical progression, as it is few cents cheaper to control these functions that way, rather than with heavy gauge wiring running to actual relays.
    I don't miss those. Pain to change when they rust out here in MN.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast