Thread: African black leopard photographed for the first time in over 100 years

African black leopard photographed for the first time in over 100 years

Turns out, the mythical African black leopard really does exist. Biologists shot rare footage of the sleek big cat walking majestically in Kenya — the first time the animal has been photographed in Africa since 1909, says Nick Pilfold, a San Diego Zoo global conservation scientist.
    Pilfold said they captured the footage after months of watching and waiting. His team of biologists had placed remote wildlife cameras to track the leopard population near a conservancy in Laikipia County last year when they heard reports of a possible black leopard sighting.
    “We intensified our camera placement in the area the reports were being made,” he said Tuesday night. “Within a few months, we were rewarded with multiple observations on our cameras.”
    The female leopard’s coat color is pitch black as a result of melanism, a gene mutation that results in an over-production of pigment, Pilfold said. It’s the opposite of albinism — and although the leopard’s coat appears black during the day, its rosette patterns are visible in nighttime infrared imagery.
    While there have been reports of sightings of black leopards — also known as black panthers — the last confirmed observation with photographic evidence was in Ethiopia more than a century ago, he said.
    “It is likely that black leopards have been living in Kenya all along, it is only that high quality imagery to confirm it has been missing until now,” Pilfold said.
    Kenya’s Daily Nation newspaper said Tuesday that its photographer, Phoebe Okall, shot an image of a black leopard in 2013 in the same region. It’s unclear whether that image was publicized at the time.
    While there may be reported sightings in Kenya, black leopards are still considered rare on the continent, Pilfold said.
    “Melanism occurs in about 11% of leopards globally, but most of these leopards live in South East Asia,” Pilfold said. “Black leopards in Africa are extremely rare, and prior to the observations in our published paper, the last confirmed observation was 1909 in Ethiopia.”

More at: https://fox8.com/2019/02/13/african-...cientist-says/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Turns out, the mythical African black leopard really does exist. Biologists shot rare footage of the sleek big cat walking majestically in Kenya — the first time the animal has been photographed in Africa since 1909, says Nick Pilfold, a San Diego Zoo global conservation scientist.
    Pilfold said they captured the footage after months of watching and waiting. His team of biologists had placed remote wildlife cameras to track the leopard population near a conservancy in Laikipia County last year when they heard reports of a possible black leopard sighting.
    “We intensified our camera placement in the area the reports were being made,” he said Tuesday night. “Within a few months, we were rewarded with multiple observations on our cameras.”
    The female leopard’s coat color is pitch black as a result of melanism, a gene mutation that results in an over-production of pigment, Pilfold said. It’s the opposite of albinism — and although the leopard’s coat appears black during the day, its rosette patterns are visible in nighttime infrared imagery.
    While there have been reports of sightings of black leopards — also known as black panthers — the last confirmed observation with photographic evidence was in Ethiopia more than a century ago, he said.
    “It is likely that black leopards have been living in Kenya all along, it is only that high quality imagery to confirm it has been missing until now,” Pilfold said.
    Kenya’s Daily Nation newspaper said Tuesday that its photographer, Phoebe Okall, shot an image of a black leopard in 2013 in the same region. It’s unclear whether that image was publicized at the time.
    While there may be reported sightings in Kenya, black leopards are still considered rare on the continent, Pilfold said.
    “Melanism occurs in about 11% of leopards globally, but most of these leopards live in South East Asia,” Pilfold said. “Black leopards in Africa are extremely rare, and prior to the observations in our published paper, the last confirmed observation was 1909 in Ethiopia.”

More at: https://fox8.com/2019/02/13/african-...cientist-says/
    I just got a call from Maxine Waters, she wants this thread deleted, now........

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I just got a call from Maxine Waters, she wants this thread deleted, now........

She hates Wakanda?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Gorgeous creature , I wonder how many are out there.....

Wakanda forever.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Not as rare as thought .
    Do something Danke