Thread: South Africa: Electric Utility Eskom Resumes Load Shedding

South Africa: Electric Utility Eskom Resumes Load Shedding

South African electricity company Eskom has resumed its practice of partially interrupting power supply, a maneuver known as load shedding, for the first time since December 2018, News24 reported Feb. 11. Meanwhile, Moody's Investment Services has cast doubt on South African President Cyril Ramaphosa's decision to split Eskom into three smaller companies, questioning whether that would be sufficient to address the company's mounting debt and economic risks.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-load-shedding
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    State-owned utility operator Eskom will receive a 69 billion-rand (roughly $4.9 billion) bailout, South African Finance Minister Tito Mboweni announced on Feb. 20, according to City Press. The measure is intended to provide Eskom with sufficient liquidity to perform maintenance operations in the next few years so that it can restore a reliable electricity supply.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-utility-eskom

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Those Evil Whites brought Electricity to Africa they probably want to
    get rid of it anyway.

Meanwhile genocide of Whites in Africa is ignored, it's trendy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Those Evil Whites brought Electricity to Africa they probably want to
    get rid of it anyway.

According to MSM its not happening.

South African electricity monopoly Eskom has announced power outages related to renewed load shedding that will last until at least March 17, Bloomberg reported March 14.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-power-outages

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South African power utility Eskom was forced to continue rolling blackouts on March 18 after a cyclone damaged electricity pylons in Mozambique, which has siphoned an additional 1,000 megawatts from South Africa's electricity grid, Reuters reported.

Ongoing blackouts continue to be a cause of concern for the South African government as it seeks re-election in May. A group of experts has been dispatched to assess problems at the utility company, which generates some 90 percent of South Africa's electricity.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...tricity-supply

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South African government officials and public utility monopoly Eskom have begun planning for continued load shedding that may include power outages of up to 6,000 megawatts, Fin 24 reported March 19.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...reased-outages

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South African power utility Eskom has halted further power cuts after more than nine days of rolling blackouts in a practice known as load shedding, Fin 24 reported March 25. However, the company may soon return to controlled power outages due to the unreliability of South Africa's electricity grid, a company official said.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...lts-power-cuts

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The ruling African National Congress (ANC) party’s head of economic transformation, Enoch Godongwana, stated that South Africa's banks should be forced to invest in new coal plants, Bloomberg reported May 5.

By specifically mentioning the coal industry, the ANC could be trying to send a message to voters ahead of the May 8 election that it's seriously looking at ways to stabilize the country's electrical system. However, should such a policy actually gain traction after the election, it risks hurting South Africa's investment profile since private sector capital allocation is generally viewed as much more efficient than government-directed capital allocation.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ew-coal-plants

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

After nearly a decade of delays, South Africa has just joined some 40 countries that have enacted national carbon tax policies, aiming to curb the rise in carbon emissions to meet global climate change targets.
    South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa signed on Sunday the carbon tax act that will introduce a carbon tax on June 1 in one of Africa’s worst polluters. In the first phase of the tax implementation—June 2019 through December 2022—the tax rate will be equal to US$8.32 (120 South African rand) per one ton of carbon dioxide equivalent.
    The second phase of the carbon tax will be between 2023 and 2030, according to a statement of South Africa’s National Treasury.
    In the first phase, allowable tax breaks will effectively slash the carbon tax to between US$0.42 (6 rand) and US$3.33 (48 rand) per ton of CO2 equivalent, according to the treasury.
    “A review of the impact of the tax will be conducted before the second phase and will take into account the progress made to reduce GHG [greenhouse gas] emissions in line with our National Determined Contribution,” the treasury said in a statement, carried by Reuters.
    South Africa, which continues to rely heavily on coal, has been considering introducing a carbon tax since 2010, but has delayed the implementation at least three times because state utility Eskom and mining companies have argued that a carbon tax would raise electricity prices while it would erode providers’ profits.

Eskom generates 90 percent of its electricity from coal, according to Global Risk Insights. South Africa aims to diversify its energy mix toward cleaner energies, sourcing 42 percent of its energy demand from renewable sources by 2030. Labor unions, however, oppose a significant scale-down in coal dependency, fearing massive job losses in the coal industry amid high unemployment in the country, Global Risk Insights says.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...arbon-Tax.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Africa's government is planning to provide a $16 billion bailout to Eskom in its latest effort to stabilize the notoriously embattled public utility monopoly, Bloomberg reported June 30.

Plagued by gross mismanagement, rampant corruption and an oversized workforce, Eskom's financial woes are estimated to far exceed $16 billion. Thus, it remains highly uncertain whether this bailout will be any more effective than past efforts to turn the company around.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-package-eskom

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Africa is experiencing ongoing and unplanned power cuts amid reports that several generating units by state utility monopoly Eskom have broken down, Reuters reported Oct. 16.

The unexpected power cuts underscore the severe weaknesses of South Africa's power grid and will limit access to reliable electricity supplies for households and businesses, curbing growth prospects. The structural deficiencies will likely affect the country's upcoming credit assessment by Moody's Investors Service on Nov. 1 and potentially trigger a downgrade to "junk" status.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ore-power-cuts

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Africa's National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) threatened on Wednesday to cause more power cuts over the government's decision to forge ahead with a plan to break up struggling state power firm Eskom.

The NUM, one of the largest unions at Eskom and part of the COSATU union federation aligned with the governing party, fears the plan to split Eskom into separate units for generation, transmission and distribution will lead to Eskom being privatised.
    On Tuesday Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan presented long-awaited details of the plan to break up Eskom and open up the power sector to greater competition.
    "NUM is angered with Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan's decision to go ahead with the unbundling of Eskom," the union said in a statement on Wednesday.
    It made demands including that officials abandon the plan to split Eskom and cancel power purchase agreements with independent power producers.
    "If these demands are not met we will shut down electricity generation, transmission and distribution, as such plunging the country into darkness," the statement said.
    A wage protest by unions last year forced Eskom into power cuts. Another large union at Eskom, the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA), also opposes the plan to split Eskom.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-african-uni...173427063.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Africa is facing dangerously low electricity supply after the failure of several power-generating units over the past weekend, according to utility monopoly Eskom, Fin 24 reported Nov. 6. To maintain supply, the company has implemented high-cost emergency power generation measures.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...power-measures

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    South Africa is facing dangerously low electricity supply after the failure of several power-generating units over the past weekend, according to utility monopoly Eskom, Fin 24 reported Nov. 6. To maintain supply, the company has implemented high-cost emergency power generation measures.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...power-measures
    Isnt it strange that none of Major News Outlets like CNN, MSNBC are reporting for what is happening in SF?

South Africa was hit by power cuts on Wednesday after a number of Eskom generating units broke down, highlighting the challenge facing President Cyril Ramaphosa in rescuing the state power firm.

Eskom said it would cut 2,000 megawatts (MW) of power from 9 a.m. local time (0700 GMT) until 11 p.m. (2100 GMT) on a rotational basis across the country, the first power cuts in around seven months.

Eskom said close to a quarter of its roughly 45,000 MW capacity was offline on Wednesday because of unplanned breakdowns and faults including boiler tube leaks and broken a conveyer belt for coal.
    Those problems were compounded by the fact that supplies of water for its pumped storage and diesel for its open-cycle gas turbines had run low, the company said.
    Eskom Chief Operating Officer Jan Oberholzer told state broadcaster SABC that the power system could be back to normal in a week’s time.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1WV0WW

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry. The nightmare before Christmas has unfolded on Thursday, as Eskom made the surprise announcement that load shedding was returning from 16:00. Thanks guys, you always get us the best presents.
    Eskom have been warning of a “constrained system” throughout December, suggesting that a lack of generational power could cut the lights at any moment: Their prophecy has come true.

More at: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news...ong-eskom-why/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Africa’s state power company intensified rolling blackouts to a record, signaling a deepening crisis at the debt-ridden utility and raising the risk of a second recession in as many years.
    Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. said on Monday it will move to Stage 6 load-shedding from 6 p.m. local time, meaning it will cut 6,000 megawatts from the national grid, after a technical problem at the giant new Medupi Power Station curbed supply. That’s the biggest cut yet. The utility downgraded the status to Stage 4 as of 10 p.m.
    The utility is curbing power for a fifth straight day as it struggles with breakdowns at plants and heavy rains that have soaked coal used as fuel. The blackouts have a debilitating effect on the economy by curtailing mining and factory output and causing crippling traffic delays.
    “It does mean that the economy is heading for a recession,” Iraj Abedian, chief executive officer of Pan-African Investments and Research Services, said by phone from Johannesburg. “There’s no way that hot on the heels of the previous quarter’s negative growth in GDP with this type of humongous and material disruption to the continuity of business that the economy can register positive growth.”
    South Africa’s statistics office announced last week that gross domestic product shrank an annualized 0.6% in the three months through September. Power cuts also dented the economy in the first quarter, when it contracted the most in a decade, led by a drop in manufacturing, mining and agriculture output
    Eskom’s announcement marked the end of a torrid day on Twitter for South African President Cyril Ramaphosa. His weekly letter to the nation highlighting how Medupi is a fitting symbol of the importance of state-owned companies was derided on the social-media site.
    At 10 p.m. local time he issued a statement commiserating with his countrymen.
    “The ongoing load-shedding is devastating for the country. It is causing our economy great harm and disrupting the lives of citizens,” he said. “The anger and frustration that this load-shedding has caused is understandable.”
    Municipalities were also caught off guard, with Johannesburg electricity distributor City Power saying it has no load-shedding schedule for Stage 6.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/eskom...155023561.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South African power utility Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd., which generates about 95% of the country’s electricity, extended power cuts that started on Jan. 4 into a second day after a conveyor belt failure at its Medupi plant -- just as Andre de Ruyter officially takes over as head of the cash-strapped company.Eskom initially extended stage 2 load-shedding, the local term for scheduled blackouts, through Monday at 5 a.m., the utility said Sunday in an emailed statement. That means the company is removing 2,000 megawatts from the national grid. In a later statement it said it would end power cuts earlier than anticipated at 11 p.m. and doesn’t expect outages tomorrow.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/south...073340360.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment