Thread: Birth Control Impairs Women’s Recognition of Complex Emotions

Birth Control Impairs Women’s Recognition of Complex Emotions

The pill could be blurring your social judgement — but perhaps not enough so you’d notice.

By challenging women to identify complex emotional expressions like pride or contempt, rather than basic ones like happiness or fear, scientists have revealed subtle changes in emotion recognition associated with oral contraceptive pill (OCP) use.

Published in Frontiers in Neuroscience, their study found that OCP users were nearly 10% worse on average than non-users in deciphering the most enigmatic emotional expressions, raising questions over the possible impact of OCPs on social interactions in intimate relationships.

To further investigate the effects of OCPs on women’s emotion recognition, the researchers administered a special emotion recognition task to two similar groups of healthy women: 42 OCP users, and 53 non-users.
    “If oral contraceptives caused dramatic impairments in women’s emotion recognition, we would have probably noticed this in our everyday interactions with our partners,” suggests Lischke. “We assumed that these impairments would be very subtle, indicating that we had to test women’s emotion recognition with a task that was sensitive enough to detect such impairments. We, thus, used a very challenging emotion recognition task that required the recognition of complex emotional expressions from the eye region of faces”
    The results were, as expected, subtle — but very clear: OCP users were less accurate in the recognition of the most subtle complex expressions than non-users — by nearly 10%, on average.
    “Whereas the groups were equally good at recognizing easy expressions, the OCP users were less likely to correctly identify difficult expressions.”
    The effect held for both positive and negative expressions, and regardless of the type of OCP or the menstrual cycle phase of non-users.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/study-birth...plex-emotions/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @H_H

Anonymous Conservative says that the amygdala is involved in interpreting emotions based on facial expressions.

Perhaps Birth Control is suppressing amygdala function?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Birth control pills are weird stuff. Let me list off just three top weirdnesses:

1. They make women’s brains shrink (The Journal of Human Brain Mapping, April 2, 2015) So yes, to answer you question: I would be very surprised if it somehow left amygdalae unaffected while shrinking, reconfiguring, and remodeling the rest of the brain, as it does.
    2. They make women’s ovaries shrink (Science Daily, July 1, 2014)
    3. The tiny trace amounts which get into the wastewater system and from there into waterways in general are causing a massive amount of “intersex” fish and amphibians. (The studies on this are Legion)

There are these same trace amounts in, chances are, the water you are drinking every day! So, question arises in the suspicious mind:

What is it doing to YOU, young man?

Plus, you may recall from 2012: Mitt Romney is for it; he “loves birth control.” Which is primae facia evidence it should be banned.

We are under a constant hormonal attack from the world we live in. Xeno-estrogens in the plastics in the clothes we wear, the plastics seeping into the foods we eat from the containers they are stored in for months, and yes, the lab-concocted Franken-hormone of one Dr. Gregory Pincus (Rest In Gehenna), BFFs w/ Margaret Sanger, and that has had virtually no research done on it ever in the intervening decades, lol imagine that, despite being prescribed to millions of 14-year-old girls (and younger) for everything from acne to painful periods to being a slut to, I don’t know, hangnails probably. So for basically every condition that teenaged girls are universally in, the Pill is on the doctors’ Official List of recommended remedies to prescribe.

There is is a protracted campaign to destroy the world. And everybody in the world is too stupid to realize it. It is extreme-a-ly frustrating to me. Personally.
    Last edited by H_H; 02-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.

The BP makes women gain weight, cranky, and lowers their libido. Lol. What's the point of taking that?