Thread: Russia considers 'unplugging' from internet

Russia considers 'unplugging' from internet

Control the flow and content of information.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47198426

Russia is considering whether to disconnect from the global internet briefly, as part of a test of its cyber-defences.

The test will mean data passing between Russian citizens and organisations stays inside the nation rather than being routed internationally.

A draft law mandating technical changes needed to operate independently was introduced to its parliament last year.

The test is expected to happen before 1 April but no exact date has been set.

Major disruption
    The draft law, called the Digital Economy National Program, requires Russia's ISPs to ensure that it can operate in the event of foreign powers acting to isolate the country online.

Nato and its allies have threatened to sanction Russia over the cyber-attacks and other online interference which it is regularly accused of instigating.

The measures outlined in the law include Russia building its own version of the net's address system, known as DNS, so it can operate if links to these internationally-located servers are cut.

Currently, 12 organisations oversee the root servers for DNS and none of them are in Russia. However many copies of the net's core address book do already exist inside Russia suggesting its net systems could keep working even if punitive action was taken to cut it off.

The test is also expected to involve ISPs demonstrating that they can direct data to government-controlled routing points. These will filter traffic so that data sent between Russians reaches its destination, but any destined for foreign computers is discarded.

Eventually the Russian government wants all domestic traffic to pass through these routing points. This is believed to be part of an effort to set up a mass censorship system akin to that seen in China, which tries to scrub out prohibited traffic.

Russian news organisations reported that the nation's ISPs are broadly backing the aims of the draft law but are divided on how to do it. They believe the test will cause "major disruption" to Russian internet traffic, reports tech news website ZDNet.

The Russian government is providing cash for ISPs to modify their infrastructure so the redirection effort can be properly tested.

How does an entire country "unplug" itself from the internet?

It's important to understand a little about how the internet works. It is essentially a series of thousands of digital networks along which information travels. These networks are connected by router points - and they are notoriously the weakest link in the chain.

What Russia wants to do is to bring those router points that handle data entering or exiting the country within its borders and under its control- so that it can then pull up the drawbridge, as it were, to external traffic if it's under threat - or if it decides to censor what outside information people can access.

China's firewall is probably the world's best known censorship tool and it has become a sophisticated operation. It also polices its router points, using filters and blocks on keywords and certain websites and redirecting web traffic so that computers cannot connect to sites the state does not wish Chinese citizens to see.

It is possible to get around some firewalls using virtual private networks (VPNs) - which disguise the location of a computer so the filters do not kick in - but some regimes are more tolerant of them than others. China cracks down on them from time to time and the punishment for providing or using illegal VPNs can be a prison sentence.

Occasionally countries disconnect themselves by accident - Mauritania was left offline for two days in 2018 after the undersea fibre cable that supplied its internet was cut, possibly by a trawler.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Control the flow and content of information.
    Yes, that's what Google does all right.

Russia's solution seems to be the only way to escape it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yes, that's what Google does all right.

Russia's solution seems to be the only way to escape it.
    Government monopoly is better?

Government monopoly is better?
    Which government monopoly? The proposed Russia system or Google?

Guess time will tell...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Which government monopoly? The proposed Russia system or Google?

Guess time will tell...
    The one where the government contracts control internet pricing and government contracts control internet costs and government controls who can become an information service provider

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The one where the government contracts control internet pricing and government contracts control internet costs and government controls who can become an information service provider
    Are the Russians planning to do all of that? Or are they seeking a different model than Google's?

Are the Russians planning to do all of that? Or are they seeking a different model than Google's?
    I'm talking about the United States, the government forces those companies to do their bidding and then they hide under the veil of being a private company

I'm talking about the United States, the government forces those companies to do their bidding and then they hide under the veil of being a private company
    I know. It was a rhetorical question. Zippy may think you're a Russian bot, but I didn't actually think you were privy to their plans.

As far as Google is concerned, you're clearly not as ill-informed as Zippy was hoping you were.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know. It was a rhetorical question. Zippy may think you're a Russian bot, but I didn't actually think you were privy to their plans.

As far as Google is concerned, you're clearly not as ill-informed as Zippy was hoping you were.
    No I'm unemployed, used to work for an ISP until they got rid of me for my political beliefs

No I'm unemployed, used to work for an ISP until they got rid of me for my political beliefs
    Remember when it couldn't happen here (except maybe to a communist)?

Nah- nickers isn't a Russia Bot.

Remember when it couldn't happen here (except maybe to a communist)?
    Not really I think even Trump pretended to be a Democrat so that he wouldn't get attacked for it.

Not really I think even Trump pretended to be a Democrat so that he wouldn't get attacked for it.
    Yeah, unfortunately it requires some gray hair to recall those days.

Yeah, unfortunately it requires some gray hair to recall those days.
    Hindsight is 20/20 I could only imagine Trump getting a little bit of heat for bringing up ending the drug war. The deep state lives off the drug war. If I could go back I would of probably pretended to be a Democrat and remained silent. Having your life and loved ones threatened because you are anti war isn't worth it.

More Crap Article by Western News Media.
    By the usual BBC.

Majority of News Article of Russia by BBC and other MSM outlets haven't come truth nor are very accurate. This reporting reminds me of the fear mongering that Western News Media gave during when the Russians hosted the winter Olympics.

Nothing since then has changed it seems.
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 02-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    By the usual BBC.

Majority of News Article of Russia by BBC and other MSM outlets haven't come truth nor are very accurate. This reporting reminds me of the fear mongering that Western News Media gave during when the Russians hosted the winter Olympics.

My, you're young.

Not much has changed since 1946, you mean.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    By the usual BBC.

Is that the official line? Russia media carrying the same story.

https://www.rt.com/business/420508-r...own-sanctions/

Russia ready to be cut off from internet with its own web

If Western sanctions go as far as excluding Russia from the world wide web, the country's own internet is ready, according to the Russian presidential aide on the internet, German Klimenko.

"Technically, we are ready for anything now,” he told NTV news channel. However, the shutdown will not be painless, Klimenko added.

“Failures always occur when moving from one technology to another. Someone will face connection troubles. Probably, it will be found out that someone kept data abroad, although there is a decree to store it in Russia. Someone is still hosting their domains outside the country. They will, therefore, probably experience some difficulties," he added.

Klimenko was referring to Russia’s data privacy law. All companies processing personal data of Russian citizens are obliged to store it on servers within the country’s borders. The professional network website LinkedIn has already been banned in Russia for refusing to comply. Twitter and other social networks have agreed to move data about Russians to the country.

The Russian segment of the internet, intended especially for civil servants, is already working, Klimenko noted. He also reminded people that Russia, like China and the United States, has its own search engines, social networks and advertising.

“The internet is being regulated in all countries and Russia is no exception. However, extreme options like North Korean or Cuba are not our choice,” he said.

If Western sanctions go as far as excluding Russia from the world wide web, the country's own internet is ready, according to the Russian presidential aide on the internet, German Klimenko.
    It seems BBC has forgotten to mention to its readers that Russia has its own internet service which connects similar to the western one. But hey continue on believing the same people that lied about the WTC 3 collapsing a few minutes before it actually did or the same news outlet that lied about the chemical attacks in Syria?

Oh? And that RT article parrots this gem from your own OP?

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    This is believed to be part of an effort to set up a mass censorship system akin to that seen in China, which tries to scrub out prohibited traffic.
    Hell, RT didn't even say that about CIA/Google, though it's absolutely true of CIA/Google.

This is believed to be part of an effort to set up a mass censorship system akin to that seen in China, which tries to scrub out prohibited traffic.
    BBC
    But what Google and YouTube is doing to alternative voices and opinions isn't mass censorship system?