Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walter Jones has died at age 76

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ugh. Will there be an election, or an appointment?
    edit: SCRATCH THIS---> I think his replacement is appointed by the Governor (Cooper-D) but Law will be the GOP nominee next election cycle and it's a pretty conservative district.

Raleigh Observer says special election. Phil Law has been waiting for this moment for many years. Total MIC/AIPAC type. The other primary challenger, Scott Dacey, was a GWB admin official so it looks bleak.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...226085380.html

Gov. Roy Cooper must set the date for a special election in North Carolina’s 3rd Congressional District after the death of longtime Rep. Walter Jones, who had represented Eastern North Carolina in the U.S. House since 1995.
    @asurfaholic - you ready to run for Congress, bro?

Between this and the 9th District election still up-in-the-air, NC will have two empty House seats for a while. Good chance the 9th gets a new election also, with formal board decision set for hearing on the 18th-20th.

Cooper ordered flags at half staff in honor of Jones.
    https://ncadmin.nc.gov/news/press-re...through-sunset
    Last edited by devil21; 02-11-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I think his replacement is appointed by the Governor (Cooper-D) but Law will be the GOP nominee next election cycle and it's a pretty conservative district.
    No liberty candidates? You’d think that maybe one of Jones’ staff might be like-minded, and run for the seat.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate. - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP Mr Jones.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    No liberty candidates? You’d think that maybe one of Jones’ staff might be like-minded, and run for the seat.
    See my edit above. It'll be a special election.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

R.I.P. Walter

I hope that Rand, Massie, or Amash will make it worthwhile.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

-H. L. Mencken

Some nice tributes here:

https://www.theamericanconservative....rest-in-peace/

"The cause of peace and restraint has lost one of its great defenders, TAC has lost one of our good friends, and America has lot one of its most honorable and decent public servants. May his memory be eternal."

Walter Jones, champion of peace, took on the warmongers and won

by Jack Hunter
    February 11, 2019

Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., wrote more than 11,000 letters to the families of fallen American soldiers for a decade and a half. He believed it was his moral obligation to do this as penance for his vote to authorize the Iraq War in 2002. He began each letter as follows: “My heart aches as I write this letter for I realize you are suffering a great loss …”

Jones’ letters began in 2003 after attending the funeral of Marine Sgt. Michael Bitz near Camp Lejeune, which was part of his district. Sitting next to Bitz’s widow at the service, he grew sad watching their young son play with a toy. “I felt the guilt, but also the pain of voting to send her husband as well as thousands of other military to a war that was unnecessary,” Jones said. “I want them to know that my heart aches as their heart aches.”

From that time forward, Jones became one of the most outspoken, and very few, anti-war Republicans in Congress. This passion included targeting politicians he believed deserved it.

“Lyndon Johnson’s probably rotting in hell right now because of the Vietnam War,” Jones said in 2013, 10 years after his change of heart.

Jones added, without hesitation, “He probably needs to move over for Dick Cheney.”

Both kind and fierce, Walter Jones passed away Sunday on his 76th birthday. As scathing as his national headline-making statement about former Vice President Dick Cheney was, it was not ultimately rooted in hate. Yes, Jones deeply loathed the George W. Bush administration and the entire bipartisan political class for their policy of endless war, but his sentiment was born of an even deeper love for his country and its men and women in uniform, particularly those in North Carolina’s military-heavy 3rd District that he represented for almost a quarter-century.

Jones spent the last 16 years of his career trying to make up for his Iraq vote. The GOP establishment, most particularly his neoconservative arch-enemies, spent most of that time trying to diminish Jones or boot him from office for the unpardonable Republican sin of opposing war.

read more:
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ongers-and-won

Jack Hunter wrote a very good tribute there. Thanks for posting it jct.

This is so incredibly sad. Rest in PEACE Walter you great Patriot and may God bless and comfort your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12