Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Citzenship and Congress

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    According to the US Constitution, all citizens have dual citizenship- that of the country and of the state they live in.

From the Fourteenth Amendment: https://www.jurist.org/commentary/20...-constitution/
    That is not what is being discussed, don't be stupid.
    The states are members of the union, we are discussing those who hold OUTSIDE citizenship.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I would like to see this enacted just for the dramatic reactions that would ensue from all the anti-semites when they see that their belief that every Jew in Congress holds Israeli citizenship turns out to be a myth. I imagine that they would continue to believe that they do still hold Israeli citizenship, and would chalk up the failure to report this to some kind of conspiracy.
    Unfortunately Israel makes them all eligible for instant citizenship any time they want to move there so whatever your opinion about them people will still suspect that their true loyalty is to Israel.

And why should we not suspect that? They certainly vote as if it were true.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    My comment from another thread on the subject:
    My reply in that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Some "foreigners" are more distant geographically, culturally and share fewer interests than others.

Your point is a good one however, we do need separation from some of those representatives and their constituents but that doesn't change the problem that this is intended to deal with.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Unfortunately Israel makes them all eligible for instant citizenship any time they want to move there so whatever your opinion about them people will still suspect that their true loyalty is to Israel.

And why should we not suspect that? They certainly vote as if it were true.
    Eligible for citizenship does not equal citizenship.

Eligible for citizenship does not equal citizenship.
    I didn't say it was but when all they have to do is fly there and claim it then it is almost the same thing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I didn't say it was but when all they have to do is fly there and claim it then it is almost the same thing.
    I know. I don't think I've ever seen you say something like that.

But claims about some outrageous number of occupants of high office in America being citizens of Israel area commonly made here without any evidence to support them. Those who want to believe that see the distinction between citizenship and mere eligibility for citizenship as a minor detail not worth noticing.

My reply in that thread:
    Which doesn't really contradict anything I said.

I'm just not as liberal about the issue as you are ...
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

I know. I don't think I've ever seen you say something like that.

But claims about some outrageous number of occupants of high office in America being citizens of Israel area commonly made here without any evidence to support them. Those who want to believe that see the distinction between citizenship and mere eligibility for citizenship as a minor detail not worth noticing.
    You should support the petition to reveal how many actually have Israeli citizenship in order to have the truth revealed.

And when the citizenship can be claimed by simply traveling there and accepting it the difference between holding it and being eligible for it is minimal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Dual citizenship should not be allowed at all. Anyone with another citizenship clearly hates America and should be treated as the traitors that they are.
    Being able to vote in two different countries is pretty cool tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Does the constitution permit someone who has a citizenship in a foreign country to serve in congress? Is ones foreign citizenship publicly available?
    I believe so.

Cruz and Bachman were duel citizens until they ran for President and I'm fairly certain Schumer holds duel citizenship with Israel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I believe so.

Cruz and Bachman were duel citizens until they ran for President and I'm fairly certain Schumer holds duel citizenship with Israel.
    Canada considered Cruz Canadian since he was born there. The US considered him American since his parents were. Bachman married a Swiss national and says she took Swiss Citizenship (in addition to her US citizenship) because her kids said they wanted dual citizenship. Both Cruz and Bachman gave up their second citizenship when the issue was raised. Schumer is Jewish but I can't find anything reliable confirming that he has any dual citizenship. He was born in Brooklyn and I can't even find any indications he ever lived outside of New York other than when he went to Harvard.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

something
    something

"...you cannot serve 2 ma$terz..."

-seid some guy

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I believe so.

I think Satan also claims Schumer.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think Satan also claims Schumer.
    Satan holds dominion over all democrats. Most republicans too, but definitely 100% of all democrats.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 02-11-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Satan holds dominion over all demoncrats. Most republicans too, but definitely 100% of all demoncrats.
    Fixed it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I am what is commonly referred to as an "American" (and so were my forebears going back at least several generations, so far as I know) - but I haven't "sworn and represent[ed]" to or for any such things, so I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say "as you do (assuming you're [A]merican)".

He does if he becomes an "American" citizen ("dually" or otherwise) and then becomes a "public official" or "elected representative" in Connecticut (which is exactly the condition I specified in my remarks).

And if some "Mayflower" Connecticutter thinks he has any right to dictate to me or mine, even though he lives nowhere near me and is in no way a part of my home or community, then he can go pound the same sand as the Azerbaijani Connecticutter can - and I don't give a damn what flag or document either one of them cares to fetishize. They're both foreign interlopers as far as I'm concerned, and they should just butt the hell out of my business (as I should do for them and others in Connecticut).
    Iím not really seeing your point, Iím not arguing a person from a different country cannot become American, I am however implying that dual loyalties are real and dangerous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12