Thread: Tom Woods interviewed by Reason.TV - topics include the LP

Tom Woods interviewed by Reason.TV - topics include the LP

I did a search and didn't find this video anywhere... maybe I missed it; if so I apologize.

There's a lot here to dissect. My thread title justifies putting it in this subforum... and it's been FAR TOO LONG that names like Tom Woods appeared here, versus the non-stop Trump spamming that goes on these days.

Hoping this generates some good discussion about what this forum really should be about. I'll leave it at that:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for posting.

This was an excellent interview and delved in to some really sensitive issues from past history. Both Tom and Matt did excellent and I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

"You must spread some Reputation around..."

Thanks for posting. I've had my problems with Woods in recent years, but this interview gave me a whole new respect for him and I'm glad I took the time to watch it.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Tom is awesome, im going to watch this in a bit. thanks for bringing it to my attention in this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Thanks for posting.

This was an excellent interview and delved in to some really sensitive issues from past history. Both Tom and Matt did excellent and I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    First +rep to teh Collinz in quite some time! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around..."

Thanks for posting. I've had my problems with Woods in recent years, but this interview gave me a whole new respect for him and I'm glad I took the time to watch it.
    I'm glad you did, too, Chris!

Also owe you many reps, sir!

I've stuck with Tom thru the years and I remain a big, big fan... his colors are true in my book.

Welch does a great job digging into Tom the person in my opinion. Also, Tom's love of Ron really comes thru a couple of times here.

Tom's a great man, and he's done - and continues to do - great things for the liberty movement. And real things, in the name of and on behalf of, the liberty movement.

Great interview.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Tom's a great man, and he's done - and continues to do - great things for the liberty movement. And real things, in the name of and on behalf of, the liberty movement.
    Yes, but there have been times in the past he was shooting us in the foot.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I did a search and didn't find this video anywhere... maybe I missed it; if so I apologize.

There's a lot here to dissect. My thread title justifies putting it in this subforum... and it's been FAR TOO LONG that names like Tom Woods appeared here, versus the non-stop Trump spamming that goes on these days.

Hoping this generates some good discussion about what this forum really should be about. I'll leave it at that:
    Trump is a primary topic here because he is president. Woods is not.

I would love for Tom Woods to become mainstream news, but that would require him to run for office.

He is a great, great man and beacon of liberty, in the company of Ron, Lew, etc. Yet people don't discuss Ron all that much here anymore, and Lew almost never.

I think the reason is most here are already well-acquainted with these leaders and have used their arguments and knowledge to further the message.

I have mentioned Tom here a few times, and his podcast is something I listen to every week. It is a superb libertarian podcast for people of all backgrounds and education, and is of extreme value to the libertarian movement.

His show catalog is huge (1338 episodes as of today) and will be available forever for new people to discover liberty.

He's an icon. Am I going out on a limb to say everyone here adores him (except Zippy, of course)?

He also does not hate Trump, in fact he is more pro-Trump than anti-Trump. Same could probably be said of Ron and Lew. And certainly Rand.

Yes, but there have been times in the past he was shooting us in the foot.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Trump is a primary topic here because he is president. Woods is not.

I would love for Tom Woods to become mainstream news, but that would require him to run for office.

He is a great, great man and beacon of liberty, in the company of Ron, Lew, etc. Yet people don't discuss Ron all that much here anymore, and Lew almost never.

I think the reason is most here are already well-acquainted with these leaders and have used their arguments and knowledge to further the message.

I have mentioned Tom here a few times, and his podcast is something I listen to every week. It is a superb libertarian podcast for people of all backgrounds and education, and is of extreme value to the libertarian movement.

His show catalog is huge (1338 episodes as of today) and will be available forever for new people to discover liberty.

He's an icon. Am I going out on a limb to say everyone here adores him (except Zippy, of course)?

He also does not hate Trump, in fact he is more pro-Trump than anti-Trump. Same could probably be said of Ron and Lew. And certainly Rand.
    My problem with the Trump threads is that they're almost overwhelmingly of the "pro" variety. But I've had that discussion elsewhere.

And I would say that Ron, Tom, etc., take Trump as he comes... good when he's good and bad when he's bad. But none of them from what I've seen believe he's anything more than an accidental advocate on some liberty issues. That is a noteworthy difference.

[Woods] also does not hate Trump, in fact he is more pro-Trump than anti-Trump.
    I keep hearing about how "pro-Trump" Tom Woods supposedly is (especially from his critics).

Woods talks about Trump from 23:25 to 29:35 in the OP video, for example - but try as I might, I'm just not feeling the Trump-love in anything he said.

Others have bizarrely accused Woods of bootlicking on behalf of Trump (or other variations on the theme of Trump-humping). But I have yet to encounter a single piece of actual evidence for this (such as verifiable citations or in-context quotations), as opposed to vague, hand-waving references to and characterizations of unspecified "pro-Trump" things he supposedly said on some of his shows from years ago, back before the last election.

And note that merely saying something positive about Trump does not constitute being "pro-Trump" (let alone "licking Trump's boots" or Trump-humping or whatever). Any positive things Woods has said about Trump are more than leavened by the negative things he says (not to mention the overwhelmingly massive weight of all the pro-liberty things Tom says in general, which weight bears fully as much against Trump regardless that he might never be mentioned or even indirectly referenced by Tom).
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

How so?
    Tom is a smart guy and does a great service to the liberty movement. But his ego unfortunately knows no bounds, including the limits of his base of expertise. Back in 2012 he was actively undermining Ron's Presidential campaign although to be fair he probably didn't realize what he was doing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I keep hearing about how "pro-Trump" Tom Woods supposedly is (especially from his critics).
    He was definitely very pro Trump during the campaign, he had weekly roundup of the events of the week where him and Lew would just lavish praise at Trump. This went on for weeks where the 2 would just heap praises at him with very little to no criticism of him while at the same time savaging everyone else including Rand. This did happen

Woods talks about Trump from 23:25 to 29:35 in the OP video, for example - but try as I might, I'm just not feeling the Trump-love in anything he said.
    The Trump discussion suddenly slowed down after he secured the nomination, my guess is that he is now more of a libertarian instead of the pragmatic conservative he was during the primaries. Most normal people who pretend to have any principles are not vocal Trump supporters post inaguration. They use the excuse of "But he sounded very reasonable and anti establishment during the campaign"

Others have bizarrely accused Woods of bootlicking on behalf of Trump (or other variations on the theme of Trump-humping). But I have yet to encounter a single piece of actual evidence for this (such as verifiable citations or in-context quotations), as opposed to vague, hand-waving references to and characterizations of unspecified "pro-Trump" things he supposedly said on some of his shows from years ago, back before the last election.
    This happened during the primaries, check out the podcasts he did with Lew Rockwell during that time peroid. You will find plenty of examples there

And note that merely saying something positive about Trump does not constitute being "pro-Trump" (let alone "licking Trump's boots" or Trump-humping or whatever). Any positive things Woods has said about Trump are more than leavened by the negative things he says (not to mention the overwhelmingly massive weight of all the pro-liberty things Tom says in general, which weight bears fully as much against Trump regardless that he might never be mentioned or even indirectly referenced by Tom).
    You have to listen to some of the podcasts to understand why quite a few people came out believing that line of thinking. Its not just that he praised Trump but he gave him the benefit of the doubt that one shouldn't give a man with his history. And he savaged the other nominees and called em out in a way he did not do for Trump.

For me, I think Tom Woods is a great orator. He look innocent, has a charismatic personality and appears to be well read in the areas which he engages in. He is the sort of guy that can talk his way out of speeding ticket. My problem with him and especially his podcast is that he is almost never confrontational, he tends to believe who ever is in front of him talking. My breaking point was the interview he did with the pro Pinochett guy on his youtube channel. He just swallowed everything he said and the only counter he made was some weak a** devil's advocate argument he tried which he quickly dropped after he guest gave an equally weak reply. I know he does his show every day but he needs to bring in an opposing guest when he doesn't have the time to do the research. Also he needs to be fair when assessing the candidates for POTUS, even Rand should get the same treatment as John kaisich

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    He was definitely very pro Trump during the campaign, he had weekly roundup of the events of the week where him and Lew would just lavish praise at Trump. This went on for weeks where the 2 would just heap praises at him with very little to no criticism of him while at the same time savaging everyone else including Rand. This did happen

[...]

This happened during the primaries, check out the podcasts he did with Lew Rockwell during that time peroid. You will find plenty of examples there

[...]

You have to listen to some of the podcasts to understand why quite a few people came out believing that line of thinking. Its not just that he praised Trump but he gave him the benefit of the doubt that one shouldn't give a man with his history. And he savaged the other nominees and called em out in a way he did not do for Trump.

And note that merely saying something positive about Trump does not constitute being "pro-Trump" (let alone "licking Trump's boots" or Trump-humping or whatever). [...]
    //
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I haven't been here for a decade so I don't understand many here...

Lew, Tom, even Ron all hold the view that Trump is in his own way a benefit to the cause. I believe this is for two reasons:

1. Trump has moved the needle closer to nonintervention (or more explicitly, antiwar). Yes it might be an inch where we have 100 miles to go, but with any other president we'd already have gone 50 more miles in the wrong direction.

2. Trump has destroyed MSM. This was no small miracle. I think Lew is especially grateful for this.

Trump should be praised when he does the right thing and criticized when he doesn't. I don't see any libertarian leader hailing Trump as a great man. But he can do great things, and has done some already. We know what Lew, Ron, Tom give him respect for. It may not be enough, or a lot, call it whatever you want, but it is progress. And Lew/Ron/Tom see that.

Trump has the potential to end a lot of war. Rand freaking Paul is the president's most trusted ally in government! Was Ron this close with Reagan? Did Ron have as much an effect on Reagan as Rand does with Trump?

Recognizing that Trump can be a vehicle for good is not a conflicting position. Lew and Ron don't hate him, and they are two of the greatest libertarians ever.

I think that just like people on the left are triggered just by the thought of Trump as president, maybe some libertarians can't stand the idea of him doing libertarian things that libertarianism won't get credit for.

Great interview! Tom woods is one of our best allies, I appreciate how principled and hard working he is for Liberty.

Good thread, so far.

Also noteworthy for who's NOT posted in it, to this point. opcorn:

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post

I really like Malice.

@18:20

RIP
    Marc Allan Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I really like Malice.
    Me too - he's back on the Tom Woods Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePBSwWYB_CE

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Tom is a smart guy and does a great service to the liberty movement. But his ego unfortunately knows no bounds, including the limits of his base of expertise. Back in 2012 he was actively undermining Ron's Presidential campaign although to be fair he probably didn't realize what he was doing at the time.
    How did Tom actively and unknowingly undermine Ron's campaign?

Surely this must have been a trivial matter...Ron seems to love Tom as much as ever and they do a lot of projects together (homeschooling, etc.).

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How did Tom actively and unknowingly undermine Ron's campaign?

Surely this must have been a trivial matter...Ron seems to love Tom as much as ever and they do a lot of projects together (homeschooling, etc.).
    No it wasn't a trivial matter at the time but it is old history now.

Tom was openly criticizing the campaign and encouraging dissent among Ron's supporters. Again, I don't think he had any malicious intent, but his ego got the best of him at the time.