Thread: NYPD To Google: Stop Revealing the Location of Police Checkpoints

NYPD To Google: Stop Revealing the Location of Police Checkpoints

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/19/02...ce-checkpoints

From the New York Post:

The NYPD is calling on Google to yank a feature from its Waze traffic app that tips off drivers to police checkpoints -- warning it could be considered "criminal conduct," according to a report on Wednesday. The department sent a cease-and-desist letter over the weekend demanding Google disable the crowd-sourced app's function that allows motorists to pinpoint police whereabouts, StreetsBlog reported. "Individuals who post the locations of DWI checkpoints may be engaging in criminal conduct since such actions could be intentional attempts to prevent and/or impair the administration of the DWI laws and other relevant criminal and traffic laws," wrote Acting Deputy Commissioner for Legal Matters Ann Prunty in the letter, according to the website. My $0.02 is that the NYPD loses on first amendment grounds.
    So they can ALWAYS know EVERYTHING about you, but if they are setting you up, then Privacy exists? I dont think so. Being in Public Service, they do not get an ounce of Privacy while on the job.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...police checkpoints could be considered "criminal conduct,"

Dang, so people can't have any of the positive aspects of the Big Brother tracking tech society?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Cause everybody knows how the government do
    They never snitch on themselves, but they want you to snitch on YOU

Chester Copperpot

$#@! em

Anonymous CB warnings about smokey ahead on exit ## is now a no no?

Although I haven't used a CB in years do they even still do that?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

NYPD Asks Google To Stop Reporting DUI Checkpoint Locations

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02...ints-waze-app/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The NYPD has sent a cease and desist letter to Google, demanding that it remove alerts about DWI checkpoints on the Waze driving app.

Google purchased the popular crowd-sourced app in 2013.

“This letter serves to put you on notice that the NYPD has become aware that the Waze Mobile application, a community-driven GPS navigation application owned by Google LLC, currently permits the public to report DWI checkpoints throughout New York City and map these locations on the application,” the NYPD wrote.

Clearly, the Department thinks the internet giant is hindering its ability to keep city streets safe.

“Individuals who post the locations of DWI checkpoints may be engaging in criminal conduct since such actions could be intentional attempts to prevent and/or impair the administration of the DWI laws and other relevant criminal and traffic laws,” the letter continued. “The posting of such information for public consumption is irresponsible since it only serves to aid impaired and intoxicated drivers to evade checkpoints and encourage reckless driving. Revealing the location of checkpoints puts those drivers, their passengers, and the general public at risk.”

The letter comes after Google launched a new feature on its Google Maps app, alerting drivers to the location of police speed cameras.

“Safety is a top priority when developing navigation features at Google. We believe that informing drivers about upcoming speed traps allows them to be more careful and make safer decisions when they’re on the road,” a Google spokesperson told CBS2 in a statement.

Drivers say they started getting the new speed camera alert on Google Maps last week.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    F checkpoints and suspicionless searches. NYPD can suck it. Free speech, yo!

Lol. And by law, checkpoints are supposed to be announced, have signs that indicate they are ahead, and allow alternative routes.

Waze is just helping to provide those lawful requirements. NYPD wants to force Waze to violate the law.

And this is just another example of how big Corp merges with big government. Because it is part of Google, the government has more leverage to force them to comply to questionable civil liberty violations.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    F checkpoints and suspicionless searches. NYPD can suck it. Free speech, yo!
    Everyone is a suspect before they have committed any crime in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Anonymous CB warnings about smokey ahead on exit ## is now a no no?

Although I haven't used a CB in years do they even still do that?
    I don't know what is allowed and not allowed these days. Some one has offered me a CB radio and I have been thinking about taking them up on the offer. It could be useful.

I happened to notice on google maps today an icon for a speedtrap along I94 near the Illinois / Indiana border. I don't use google maps for driving directions that often so this was a first for me.

Was handy to know
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq