Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump ad-libs that he wants legal immigrants in 'the largest numbers ever'

Trump ad-libs that he wants legal immigrants in 'the largest numbers ever'

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ration-1148629

President Donald Trump strayed from his scripted State of the Union address Tuesday evening by calling for immigrants to enter the country legally in “the largest numbers ever,” an about-face from the administration’s crackdown on immigration.

While warning of the dangers illegal immigration poses to the nation, Trump described a “moral duty” to construct an immigration system that protects Americans, noting an obligation to “the millions of immigrants living here today who follow the rules and respected our laws.”

“Legal immigrants enrich our nation and strengthen our society in countless ways,” the president said. “I want people to come into our country in the largest numbers ever, but they have to come in legally.”

This marked a deviation from the prepared text of Trump’s speech, which read: “Legal immigrants enrich our nation and strengthen our society in countless ways. I want people to come into our country, but they have to come in legally.”
    more at link

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He says a lot of things.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Perhaps I haven't been following things as closely as I should, but I don't think his statements ring as an about-face the way the article describes. I don't recall Trump ever being anti-immigration, but it seems to me that if you're against illegal immigration people will automatically assume you're plain xenophobic and hate all immigration...

He's said variations of this many times. Remember the big beautiful door that's supposed to be in his wall?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Perhaps I haven't been following things as closely as I should, but I don't think his statements ring as an about-face the way the article describes. I don't recall Trump ever being anti-immigration, but it seems to me that if you're against illegal immigration people will automatically assume you're plain xenophobic and hate all immigration...
    He has been cutting the number of visas allowing people into the country.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/692447002/

All the ways President Trump is cutting legal immigration

During a 2016 campaign stop in Illinois, then-candidate Donald Trump invited to the stage a man wearing a shirt that read: "Legal Immigrant For Trump."

Asked to say a few words to the crowd, the man chastised the media for missing a fundamental aspect of Trump's candidacy: that he was opposed to illegal immigration, not legal immigration. Trump repeatedly patted the man on the back and told him, "I totally support it."

"People are going to come into our country," Trump said. "We want people to come in. But they've got to come in, like you, legally. My man."

Despite his campaign rhetoric, President Trump has acted very differently since moving into the White House. His administration has granted fewer visas, approved fewer refugees, ordered the removal of hundreds of thousands of legal residents whose home countries have been hit by war and natural disasters and pushed Congress to pass laws to dramatically cut the entire legal immigration system.
    more at link.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...513-story.html

Yes, Trump still wants his big, beautiful wall to stop illegal border crossings. But he’s been railing against all forms of immigration since his campaign. And he’s having a much easier time chipping away at legal immigration than funding his wall. In some cases, the methods are strict quotas or new rules. But paperwork and red tape work, too. For instance, this administration tripled the number of pages in green card applications. Forms for sponsoring a foreign-born spouse are nine times longer than they used to be.

Here’s an overview of key ways Trump has made it more difficult and expensive to come here legally for foreign students, skilled temporary workers, green cards holders, refugees and others.

H1-B visas
    The Trump administration has piled new compliance rules, documentation requirements and other regulations on H-1B visas. These changes make it much more costly for employers to use H-1B visas to hire skilled foreign workers, which is a likely reason that applications dropped by 20 percent from 2016 to 2018.

H4 visas
    The Trump administration announced plans to take away work permits from those with H-4 visas — the visa for spouses of H-1B workers. In 2015, the Obama administration allowed H-4s to work, and about 91,000 of these visa holders, many of whom are as skilled as their spouses, leaped at the opportunity.

Foreign students
    The number of foreign students at U.S. universities was down about 17% in 2017 and likely will fall further this year. A major draw of studying in the United States is the ability to work here after graduation. Those on student visas can legally work for 12 months after earning their degrees, and STEM graduates can stay for three years under a program called Optional Practical Training. In 2016, about 200,000 students signed up for OPT, which is often a first step toward an H-1B visa.

Foreign students fear that President Trump will restrict OPT or the H-1B visa. Trump hasn’t canceled OPT yet (and his administration even defended it in court) but $63,000 a year (the cost of tuition and living expenses at UCLA) starts to look like a very risky investment if paying for it depends on getting a work visa in a few years.

Refugees
    Trump temporarily halted the entire refugee program last year, claiming that terrorists would get into the country masquerading as refugees. It started up again for most countries, but Trump precipitously cut the number of refugees the U.S. will accept. If admissions for 2018 continue at their current pace, 75 percent% fewer refugees will arrive this year than in 2016. Trump even canceled a planned pilot program that would have allowed private individuals or charities to sponsor refugees and absorb all welfare costs — the kind of program Canada has had for more than a decade.

Muslim ban
    Preventing terrorism was the reason given for Trump’s so-called Muslim ban, an executive order that limits or altogether bars visas for citizens of several Muslim-majority countries, North Korea and Venezuela. Lower courts keep ruling against it, but the ban and related policies are having a big effect. For instance, while all refugee numbers are down from 2016, the number of Muslim refugees has been cut by 91 percent. Immigrant visas issued to people from Muslim-majority countries are down 26 percent, and temporary visitors from Muslim-majority countries by 32 percent.

‘Extreme vetting’
    Last year, former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson ordered additional security screenings for all immigrants and visitors seeking visas — a move also presented as a way of keeping out terrorists. Immigration attorney Shabnam Lotfi told me that these new procedures, “are causing significant and expensive delays for visa applicants who have already been vetted under the current effective security procedures.”

Asylum
    The administration has directly and indirectly hampered the ability of foreigners to ask for asylum in the U.S. For instance, it cut the number of visas issued to Venezuelans by as much as 74 percent relative to 2013. That country is in political and economic crisis, but Venezuelans have to get to the U.S. to request asylum — and they can’t get here without a visa. Meantime, the Border Patrol is discouraging asylum-seekers from Central America by breaking up families who arrive at the southern border. The government places parents and children in separate immigration detention cells, sometimes for months.

Temporary Protected Status
    In a string of announcements over recent months, Trump has said he’ll end Temporary Protected Status by 2020 for about 437,000 migrants mostly from El Salvador, Honduras and Haiti. TPS allowed them to stay here legally after natural disasters struck their home countries. More than 80 percent of TPS migrants from those countries have jobs here. They have about 273,000 U.S.-born children. Many have been here for decades; they won’t leave now, just as Salvadorans didn’t leave between 1996 and 2001 when their TPS was rescinded.
    More at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-06-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/692447002/

more at link.
    Actions speak louder than words.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He's definitely been trying to take both sides on this all along. But there's nothing at all new about him saying things like the quote in the OP.

If he really did want to curtail illegal immigration, and really did want legal immigration to increase at the same time, then immediately expanding legal immigration would be a wise course of action. Then, he could beef up personnel at legal points of entry to stop drugs and human trafficking going through those points, while allowing everyone else to get through. Those who don't belong to those forbidden groups would have no incentive to enter the USA illegally. So the only people left who would be trying to enter illegally would be the drug dealers and human traffickers he says he wants to stop, and it would then be easier to stop them without them getting all mixed up in one bunch with all of the other immigrants that he says he wants so many more of.

The pressure to immigrate here is there. He can't and won't do anything to lessen that pressure, apart from allowing the free market to do what only it can do in managing the distribution of scarce resources, which would lift Mexico's economy while simultaneously making the price of living in America go up in response to the high demand to live here. But while that pressure still exists, any attempt to suppress immigration legally is bound to result in more illegal immigration. Trump has no power to fight the natural laws that make this so.

And at the same time, all those people who claim that they're not against immigration but only against illegal immigration would have no choice but to support this move. It couldn't possibly fail to be a political win for him. There are some who really are against immigration in general, and honest enough to say so. But as far as I can tell, they're a minority even among Republicans.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 02-06-2019 at 07:26 PM.

This can't be true. I heard Dump is "literally Hitler."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As a friend of many immigrants who want to live permanently in the US, the ability to get a green card and apply for citizenship is very, very difficult and expensive, and rarely successful unless a relative is already here.

Unless you are up to speed on immigration law, Zippy, I would suggest that you stop putting this stupidity out there. Just looking at an article based on a speech you may or may not have watched is really a new low in intellectual integrity.

Immigration reform is vital. The tens of thousands of people in line already get priority. It may be 15 or 20 years before new arrivals have their papers reviewed.
    Last edited by euphemia; 02-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

What's the problem with that quote? Since when is legal immigration a bad thing? Inbreeding is for the monarchy.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    What's the problem with that quote? Since when is legal immigration a bad thing? Inbreeding is for the monarchy.
    Too much immigration from countries with cultures that aren't based on liberty is a threat to liberty and we have a sufficiently diverse gene-pool in America.
    I believe in some immigration but we need to freeze it all for a long time until we manage to restore liberty and then allow much less when we are ready for it again.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Too much immigration from countries with cultures that aren't based on liberty is a threat to liberty and we have a sufficiently diverse gene-pool in America.
    I believe in some immigration but we need to freeze it all for a long time until we manage to restore liberty and then allow much less when we are ready for it again.
    ^This. Out of rep. +1

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the quote, unless you're part of the base that Trump rallied to help him win the GOP nomination in 2016 (see posts 11 and 12, and anything written by Ann Coulter in recent years). I find it heartening that you agree with the quote, because I had you pegged as one of the people who wouldn't.

But there's definitely some inconsistency on this with Trump, as post 5 shows.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 02-07-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    He's said variations of this many times. Remember the big beautiful door that's supposed to be in his wall?
    Have you two been paying attention to what Trump actually says and actually does, instead of buying what the Shylls claim about him the way politico does?

Yeah, keep doing that clear-headed free thinking while you still can. It'll be illegal soon enough. Soon you'll be jailed for even noticing his hotels are full of chambermaids who don't speak a word of English, much less trying to incite a riot by actually mentioning it to the faithful.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-07-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Only Q or a civil war will save us

So you’ve been to a Trump hotel?

I never have, but I worked in a large hotel for 11 years. It is common for housekeepers and stewards to have temp visas to come here work. It’s legal. Most of those jobs are seasonal, so not permanent full time, with benefits.

Hilton, Marriott, they all use workers with temp visas for seasonal work, and not just from Central America. There are many countries who have exchange programs or work programs where their workers come here for a season and then go home.
    Last edited by euphemia; 02-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So you’ve been to a Trump hotel?

I never have, but I worked in a large hotel for 11 years. It is common for housekeepers and stewards to have temp visas to come here work. It’s legal. Most of those jobs are seasonal, so not permanent full time, with benefits.

Hilton, Marriott, they all use workers with temp visas for seasonal work, and not just from Central America. There are many countries who have exchange programs or work programs where their workers come here for a season and then go home.
    Are you, like, trying to convince Teh Faithful that this hotel owner isn't pro-immigration...?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Only Q or a civil war will save us

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i’m not sure what you’re asking. There is so much misinformation out there. The hospitality industry hires people from other countries come come work the season. They often take jobs in stewarding, housekeeping, or even lifeguards. Some, who are English-fluent have guest-facing jobs. They are not all Spanish speakers.

Even if you have been to a Trump property, I doubt you would come away with any sense of who he hires for back-of-house positions.

He has tried to explain it and nobody seems to want to grasp the concept. It’s legal, and it’s not really immigration. It’s like a 4 month work visa. They have to go back home after that.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are you, like, trying to convince Teh Faithful that this hotel owner isn't pro-immigration...?
    Seasonal workers in hotels are not immigrants. They are more like visitors who work. They have a temporary work visa and they go hom after the season is over.

And I take it you have never visited a Trump resort and counted all the housekeepers and documented what language they speak.

You missed my point on this one. I wasnt referring to the gene pool, it was a figure of speech. I know that amongst 300+ million people, we are far from a monarchy. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Most legal immigrants today are trying to escape the evils of the country they are leaving, and in my experience, they are more liberty minded than the natural born socialists that are already here. I'm afraid that our problem starts with our government, and its need to build a dependent class of people. Overwhelmingly, these legal immigrants have known hardships, are not afraid of hard work, and take very little for granted. Unlike the illegal line jumpers who's primary interest is to send money home where they intend to live. For that matter, I've known Indian green card holders who do the same thing - I'm repulsed by this legal form of migrant work, but at least they are paying income tax.

I am inclined to believe that we would need more immigrants to counter domestic socialists, but I will concede that our socialist government will find a way of producing socialist immigrants through the same indoctrination practices, or even through selection. Still to comment directly to the statement about culture and liberty, I think its a mistake to dismiss people who have lived lives under tyranny as people who threaten our liberty - I see these are the people who want liberty most, more so than the sloth who are already here.

Gulag Chief:

But there's definitely some inconsistency on this with Trump, as post 5 shows.
    Agreed - not sure why more Americans dont like Trump. He's been on every side of every issue - a real political outsider in this regard. A self made business man who wants to make America great again.

Gulag Chief:

''You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again.''

I agree, I think Mexico and Canada are fairly compatible sources to draw from
    , parts of south Americas, we should also be bringing in any Whites that are facing genocide
    in So Africa.
    Bring in a 100k from these areas , see how the assimilation goes, groups that exhaust welfare,
    cut those off.
    Bring in only those that absolutely love everything about America or forget it, we owe nothing
    to the world.
    Liberals have this meme that diversity enriches culture. lol we have the finest and richest culture
    on Earth , why would we want to dilute it with a bunch of losers.

Trump could have been clearer in the beginning , he made it difficult for
    people like me that wrote daily how Illegal immigration is what he is against,
    not legal immigration.
    I would have liked and suggested that we increase immigration, but of course send
    back all illegals.
    I also had been saying '' lets help make Mexico be Great Again (well actually , just great) in any way we can'' , that would
    have helped.
    Maybe by the next election , he'll get 'the concept' .

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I would have liked and suggested that we increase immigration
    In the post right above this you just said the exact opposite.

In the post right above this you just said the exact opposite.
    In this post right here /\ you are talking out of your ass as usual.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In this post right here /\ you are talking out of your ass as usual.
    Do you agree with SS that we should freeze all immigration for a long time?

Or do you think we should increase it?

Do you agree with SS that we should freeze all immigration for a long time?

Or do you think we should increase it?
    My response was to the first statement:

''Too much immigration from countries with cultures that aren't based on liberty is a threat to liberty and we have a sufficiently diverse gene-pool in America.''

We should take in no one that doesn't love everything about our culture and laws.
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 02-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.

My response was to the first statement:

''Too much immigration from countries with cultures that aren't based on liberty is a threat to liberty and we have a sufficiently diverse gene-pool in America.''

We should take in no one that doesn't love everything about our culture and laws.
    Do you love everything about America's culture and laws?

Also, culture and laws are two very different things. Do you really want the government to be defining what our culture is for us? Because that's what it would have to do if you want to enshrine loving everything about American culture into immigration laws.

And of course, doing this would require a constitutional amendment repealing the First Amendment, since religion is a very important (indeed, the single most important) part of culture.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 02-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Trump could have been clearer in the beginning , he made it difficult for
    people like me that wrote daily how Illegal immigration is what he is against,
    not legal immigration.
    I would have liked and suggested that we increase immigration, but of course send
    back all illegals.
    I also had been saying '' lets help make Mexico be Great Again (well actually , just great) in any way we can'' , that would
    have helped.
    Maybe by the next election , he'll get 'the concept' .
    Maybe you would do better to listen more than you write. Look at the bigger picture instead of trying to parse phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Maybe you would do better to listen more than you write. Look at the bigger picture instead of trying to parse phrases.
    euphi,
    Show me your best work son, cause I have seen nothing from you but
    half assed personal attacks.
    Show us your best , anything you feel that you've written that has really contributed to
    the restoration of our republic.
    I already have a pretty good idea, naft.

It's just more proof that the only difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants is that a legal immigrant consentually becomes a human resource asset to the bankers and the government they finance (under their legal jurisdiction) while an illegal immigrant is a free man or woman that has no such restraints. The bankers can't securitize an illegal immigrant into new debt nor easily enforce their victimless "crime" codes and statutes against them, unlike a legal immigrant that consented to being a resource. Donald wants the government and banker owned resources here, not the free men and women.

With a $2T annual deficit coming soon they'll need a lot of new debt slaves to securitize into Treasury bonds soon.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast