Thread: Macaroni and Cheese is loaded with a harmful food additive, report finds

Macaroni and Cheese is loaded with a harmful food additive, report finds

Macaroni and Cheese is loaded with a harmful food additive, report finds

by: Sara Middleton, staff writer | February 3, 2019

(NaturalHealth365) Toxic cheese?! That’s right, before you buy your food at the local supermarket – read this important news.

We’ve all heard this story before: Conventional (highly processed) foods with a long and highly suspicious shelf life contain harmful additives that are X, Y, or Z: X being carcinogenic, Y being hormone-disrupting, and Z being gut-destroying – to name just a few examples.

Now, new research shows that phthalates, which are one of the more usual suspects of artificially-enhanced products (and reported about here on NaturalHealth365), have been found in nearly ALL of the samples of a popular kids’ food tested by a food safety organization.

Study confirms: Store-bought mac n’ cheese products loaded with harmful ‘indirect’ food additive
    If you look at the standard ingredients list of your typical mac n’ cheese product (which are heavily marketed to children on everything from television to social media), you’ll probably struggle to find mostly identifiable “foods.”

The thing is, you won’t see phthalates listed on the label. This is because phthalates are considered an “indirect” food additive, meaning they get there by accident.

Unfortunately, the new analysis from the Coalition for Safer Food Processing and Packaging found that of 30 popular mac n’ cheese products assessed, all but ONE of them tested positive for phthalates.

It’s no surprise, given that phalates are predominant in things like food package coatings, plastic food containers, coatings, printing inks, processed foods, and many other household and and personal care products. These and other harmful compounds, like bisphenol A (BPA) and BPA substitutes, easily and routinely leech into our food and beverages – and thereby get into our bodies where they can lead to significant health problems over time.

Why are phthalates used in the first place? Turns out these chemicals are effective binding agents that help plastic stay soft and pliable. But, no doubt: once you realize the kind of problems they can cause, you’ll be inspired to do what you can to minimize your exposure to these compounds.

Previous research shows conventionally-raised meats and cheese are a leading dietary source of phthalates
    A review published in a 2014 edition of the journal Environmental Health determined that dairy, along with “discretionary fats” and meats, are among the highest sources of these harmful man-made chemicals.

How are they harmful? For one thing, the authors of this 2014 review point out that phthatlates are “endocrine-disrupting,” meaning they have the potential to throw off hormone balance.

This is problematic for anybody – especially infants and children (you know, the primary market for mac n’ cheese). Past data has shown that a prenatal exposure to phthalates is associated with negative changes in infant hormone profiles, child neurobehavioral outcomes, and even timing of labor.

As for the effect on adults, multiple studies suggest that phthalate exposure is associated with everything from decreased semen production in men, to endrometriosis in women, to increased waist circumference and BMI in all adults.

Sadly, phalate exposure is not a small-scale problem. Data has revealed that as much as 90% of the US population test positive for metabolic biomarkers of phthalates. And the bait-and-switch methods aren’t working, either: the state of California recently recognized a phthlate substitute as carcinogenic.

Unfortunately, it’s probably not possible to completely eliminate your exposure to this harmful “accidental” food additive. But you can make several choices as an informed consumer – such as choosing natural, organic, and ethically-raised meats, dairy, and produce and avoiding heavily processed foods at all costs – in order to drastically reduce your risk.

Sources for this article include:

KleanupKraft.org
    Biomedicalcentral.com
    NIH.gov
    https://www.naturalhealth365.com/che...tive-2861.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You thought mac and cheese was a health food? But what does "tested positive" mean? At least one part per trillion? You can find everything at that level.

Organic foods probably contain it as well. And spices.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...earch-analysis

Spices are another surprising source of phthalate exposure. A 2013 study, published in the journal Nature, compared the phthalate levels of two groups, one eating their regular diet but armed with a handout of recommendations for ways to reduce BPA and phthalate exposure in their diet, and the other eating a catered diet consisting solely of local, organic fare, none of which had touched plastic packaging. The study authors were shocked to find that DEHP levels in the local, organic group jumped 2,377% over the course of the experiment. Determined to figure out why, the researchers tested all of the foods consumed by the group and found high levels of the phthalate in dairy products and various organic, imported spices.
    Should government be regulating them?

KleanupKraft.org? Why are they attacking one of many who sell "government cheese" powder?

Clearly pasta in a cardboard box is not the problem. So if the problem is government cheese, why demonize a company and provide a "helpful" link to NIH.gov?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In other words, you're asking her if eating cheese powder products should be made mandatory? Or are you checking to see if we're dumb enough to think government would ever pass any other regulations affecting government cheese?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You thought mac and cheese was a health food? But what does "tested positive" mean? At least one part per trillion? You can find everything at that level.

Organic foods probably contain it as well. And spices.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...earch-analysis

No government is not the answer, it is the problem. Making people aware is key. One of the reasons I stress that people make things from scratch, as much as possible, and get clean ingredients, as much as possible.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    No government is not the answer, it is the problem. Making people aware is key. One of the reasons I stress that people make things from scratch, as much as possible, and get clean ingredients, as much as possible.
    So companies should be free to add whatever chemicals they want to anything.

Only if government is free to force people to buy it and eat it.

Otherwise the companies aren't free to do it. They would go broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

They're doing it now. Awareness to these chemicals is key, so people can vote with their wallets and stop buying their poison products.
    Last edited by donnay; 02-06-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Sure, if government didn't stop them, then they would be adding bleach and mercury to everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's for their customers to decide, not the government.

At least one part per trillion? You can find everything at that level.

This has been discussed here countless times, and you always change your numbers. You know better, but you keep playing your games. That's why you keep getting negged repped.

The EPA, for example, has said 70 parts per trillion is bad for drinking water PFOA and PFOS.

You already know this, but you keep posting it anyway. Neg rep for playing your games.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The study authors were shocked to find that DEHP levels in the local, organic group jumped 2,377% over the course of the experiment.

Also from your study, related to your numbers above:

It may be that our findings reflect an isolated rare contamination event...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Sure, if government didn't stop them, then they would be adding bleach and mercury to everything!
    We'd all have the autismz

Not sure if its any better, but my family enjoys the Annie's line of mac products.

My wife always wonders why I make it better - I use about twice the butter as the box tells me to use.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Not sure if its any better, but my family enjoys the Annie's line of mac products.

My wife always wonders why I make it better - I use about twice the butter as the box tells me to use.
    Annie's is great in a pinch.

I think the governments roll if any, should be to analyze ingredients and
    see to it that full disclosure of those ingredients is made, probably nothing more.
    Gmo's and the kinds of pesticides used might be helpful.
    I get my nutrition from Cheetos , so I'm not really worried.....

Thanks for the heads up, I really hate buying anything that has a list of
    ingredients longer than the name of the product.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about Velveeta?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What about Velveeta?
    LOL! Not sure if you are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I really hate buying anything that has a list of
    ingredients longer than the name of the product.
    The shelf time for most supermarket products is 3 days. Assuming it sits in the cupboard, you've got 1-2 years to consume most products that are processed with standard means (heat canning, salt, sugar, or dried). What the hell are these "other ingredients" doing? Why are they even necessary?

I've read sodium benzoate on bottles of hot sauce containing salt and vinegar as the primary ingredients - really? Why? Acid/salt is shelf stable on its own. I almost exclusively use Louisiana hot sauce for that reason.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What about Velveeta?
    Maduro must go. John Bolton has a plan.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    The shelf time for most supermarket products is 3 days. Assuming it sits in the cupboard, you've got 1-2 years to consume most products that are processed with standard means (heat canning, salt, sugar, or dried). What the hell are these "other ingredients" doing? Why are they even necessary?

I've read sodium benzoate on bottles of hot sauce containing salt and vinegar as the primary ingredients - really? Why? Acid/salt is shelf stable on its own. I almost exclusively use Louisiana hot sauce for that reason.
    Right, too funny.

I love things like;

Honey; Honey
    Rice ; Rice
    Pbutter; Peanuts
    Oats; Oats
    Beans; Beans
    Brocolli;Brocolli
    Beer ; oops , I think they put
    stuff in that, but mine is at least
    preservative free.